Intern at Elliott Davis Decosimo ENVISION Summer Internship Experience? Submit a Review

BEST INTERNSHIP EVER

29201, SC | August 2016 | FORMER INTERN

I was an audit intern for the Financial Institutions Group and was given opportunities to work each week at a different client doing year end external audits as well as internal audits. While doing internal audits, I got to learn how to do 401K audits, compliance audits, fair lending audits, HR audits, incentive compensation audits, etc. Not only that but the shareholder over me took me to meetings with CEOs and CFOs of banks, audit committee meetings, and allowed me to listen in on conference calls. Plus each week we learned from a different shareholder about different aspects of professionalism including leadership, business acumen, talent development, and so on. You also get to leave early on Fridays once you reach 40 hours (which comes quickly if you're at an out of town client during the week!!) We also got to do a summer long community project where we got paid to spend time working at a charity of our choice!

Sat here for 15 min trying to think of something bad to say but I honestly cannot think of a single negative thing to say about this internship.

Comments

This internship exceeded every expectation I could have possibly desired. The shareholders and high ups spend time with you; no one acts like their time is too valuable for an intern. You get to spend lots of time networking with people from other offices and you get to meet all the interns from the other offices through a trip to Greenville, SC and a trip to Folly Beach, SC. I came into this internship completely hating auditing, didn't want to even work this summer and I found myself looking forward to going to work everyday, learning a plethora about accounting, making the greatest friends, and falling in love with auditing!

ENVISION Internship

Charlotte, NC | August 2016 | FORMER INTERN

Great people to work with, community service opportunities, fun social events, small group of interns which allowed for more individualized training

Not much client work for interns to do during the summer

Comments

Great company to work for, they truly care for each and every employee

Great Internship Experience

Greenville, SC | August 2016 | FORMER INTERN

The people at Elliott Davis Decosimo are great to work with. I was able to learn a lot from the people I worked on engagements with. The firm puts a heavy emphasis on community service. The firm cares about you as a person and not just as a number.

There were no significant downers to my internship at Elliott Davis Decosimo.

Comments

I would strongly recommend an internship at Elliott Davis Decosimo.

Great experience, great people, great company!

NC | February 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

I completed a winter internship which gave me the opportunity to get a lot of client-based work and truly get a feel for what working full-time for Elliott Davis Decosimo would be like. Everyone I worked with was supportive, humorous, and helpful. They were incredible about working with me and giving me some of the flexibility that I needed.

For a winter internship, I was expecting 0 downtime however, I did experience a chunk of time in which I found myself without client-based work. In hindsight, it gave me the chance to research more about the company, grad school, etc. Also, keep in mind you typically are not allowed to work overtime... I thought I might be able to rack up the hours during busy season. However, this gives you the chance to have long weekends occasionally.

Comments

Interning/working for a regional accounting firm vs. a "Big 4" has many perks - you are truly valued as an individual, you get to see and complete a variety of client-based work on multiple levels, and you really get to know a huge portion of employees that work for the company. EDD has been wonderful to me and I could not have imagined a better internship experience!

The Best (Work)place on Earth

Greenville, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The variety in the work projects; the patience and compassion expressed by the people for whom I completed projects; the positive work environment; the after-hours community activities

Miscommunications/ gaps in software knowledge

Public accounting is basically the same wherever you go, so pay attention to the people and the culture within the firm(s) where you may intern. The people are what make/break a workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Software training for interns--sometimes I felt like I asked way too many questions, and it would be nice if there was some type of tax software "how-to" manual for beginners to avoid this.

What three words would you use to describe yourself? Explain how/why each one describes you.

Elliott Davis Decosimo is an exceptional accounting firm with a great culture and great employee.

Charlotte, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the employees working at Elliott Davis Decosimo the best. They were all great people and made me feel a part of the team.

I liked everything about the internship.

I would highly recommend Elliott Davis Decosimo. The culture in the firm as well as the growth of the firm are appealing aspects.

Advice to Management

More diversity

What are you plans when you graduate college? Do you plan to get your CPA?

Great Company, Great People

Columbia, SC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, and the work environment

The amount of downtime that we have as interns.

It was a great experience with an excellent company.

AWESOME

Augusta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting able to learn all areas of accounting and having unlimited opportunities available to me.

Nothing it was perfect!

Know that Elliott Davis Decosimo is a fantastic place to pursue your career dreams and goals.

Exciting Internship Available! Opportunity to Apply Knowledge Through Daily Client Work, Visits to Clients, and Job-Specific Training!

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to participate and actually use a big majority of my accounting knowledge to different types of Federal, State, Local, and International taxation (with respective forms and filings). I worked on (from beginning to end) 1040s, 1120s, 1065s, PT100s, FBARs, tax research (into FATCA and Vehicle Expense Deductions), as well as working with R&D tax credits and a large Real Estate project. I also had a huge amount of technical training with my managers as I worked on different forms, as well as almost daily manager lunches with different levels of management from the firm, discussing everything from work to personal life and the balance therein. I also received a lot of soft training with managers, such as how to connect and communicate with clients (through a few different tax-specific client visits).

I think the only con of the internship was that it wasn't longer. We worked for a total of 8 weeks, but I would have loved 12 weeks, or the entire summer.

I think one of the best things to keep in mind is that no one expects you to know everything about the field in which you're interning. Just go into the internship with an open mind, and a willingness to learn, especially at Elliott Davis Decosimo. They will take you, train you, and help push you past your expectations to help you exceed your goals of personal and career growth. Also, be willing to admit soon when you are lost and need help - you will save a lot of time, and it will help you perform better on projects (especially if you can get two or three done with a few questions in the time it might take to do one with no help at all).

Advice to Management

I honestly think that Elliott Davis Decosimo does a great job of this already. I believe the compensation to be incredibly competitive, the hours are great (they are willing to work with you on scheduling and illnesses, etc.); employee retention is incredibly high, and a number of outside CPAs have switched over to the EDD team, and contribute now to the high retention rate.

If I recall correctly, they asked a few different scenario based questions (how did I respond to a situation where there was no clear leader?), as well as questions concerning EDD and why I was interested in pursuing an internship with them.

A fun and enjoyable learning experience in a very inviting work culture

Charleston, SC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

How friendly and helpful all of the employees and recruiters were.

There wasn't anything that I didn't like about the internship.

I would be personable and friendly to everyone because what makes Elliott Davis Decosimo so unique is how friendly their work culture is.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is anything that can be improved.

Why do you want to pursue accounting, rather than another field?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?