Crowe's Success-Opportunities-Achievements-Results (SOAR) Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #8 Best Accounting Internships  /  #21 Best Overall Internships

Challenging and informative, great people and atmosphere
South Bend, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My favorite thing about the internship was the people I met and the interactions I had with them.

Because it was summer I don't think I really got a clear idea of what I would actually do in "real-life".

A busy season internship is probably the best idea rather than a summer internship.

busy season is no fun
Indianapolis, IN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

great opportunity

long hours

work hard and take critcism

Advice to Management

hire more people so we can work less hours

Chamelion
Grand Rapids, MI | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the staff people, the pay was very good (especially with the amount of overtime available), learning about cost seg

There were specific times where there was purposefully a lack of direction. Managers didn't take time to give ANY feedback. I also received a comment once, "Your work looks good, but, since I HAVE to give you review comments, go ahead and make these changes." In reality, if there are changes that need to be made, I would be happy to make them, but changes for change sake was a waste of time and budget.

Be honest with people. If you get an internship take the opportunity to tell people how you really feel even if it isn't what they want to hear. In the end, if it costs you a job, it is probably for the better because you wouldn't have been happy anyway.

Advice to Management

There is a severe lack of direction. Interns are expected to come in and start performing cost seg studies without any clear understanding of methodology. Further, there is NO feedback, so interns are left guessing about areas in which they can improve and whether their efforts were successful or not.

Crowe Internship Candidates Suffer Heavy Workload, Long Hours but are Rewarded
Fort Wayne, IN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation and feeling of accomplishment after busy season.

Working Saturdays, working long hours, training.

Public accounting is not for everyone but you will get more experience than any other accounting intership. Also, the working for public accounting can be huge for your career advancement.

Advice to Management

Public accounting is public accounting. The hours are going to be long, the work is going to be stressful. That is just the name of the industry. The only thing other than compensating your employees well for the hard work and stress that they endure is recognizing them for it personally (no blanket emails) face to face and tell them that they, and the work they do, is appreciated. More time and resources should be spent and concentrated on making the working atmosphere and office setting as comfortable and positive, happy, cheerful, ect. as possible. Pushing your employees like working oxen takes a toll mentally, phisically, and emotionally. Its a fact. So nitpicking and focusing on the small things rather than celebrating the colloective sucess of everyone brings added stress that can be costly in terms of real dollars to the business. People just want to know that they are appreciated. So bringing a personal touch to that aspect of the working environment, in my opinion, would benefit the company, and it's employees in more ways than one.

Great experiences, great people, disappointing ending.
Grand Rapids, MI | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed learning the processes by which a tax department handles the more obscure tax filings. I enjoyed interviewing the engineers and learning what new projects they were working on. The people I worked with were great and really helped me grow as a professional.

I occasionally felt that not enough instruction or communication of expectations was given.

My internship was a little more specialized, I would suggest asking for a more general internship where you completed tax returns and attended audits.

Advice to Management

The firm can communicate earlier to the candidates where they stand in terms of achieving a full-time offer. If no full-time offer is a consideration, this should be communicated as the candidate would be better to begin cultivating other options.