Crowe's Success-Opportunities-Achievements-Results (SOAR) Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #9 Best Consulting Internships  /  #21 Best Overall Internships

Challenging, but extremely rewarding

High level of responsibility/decision making, direct interaction with various levels of client employees, and very friendly, helpful co-workers/managers.

Long hours and travel time away from home. However, this was expected working during busy season.

Be prepared to be challenged and work very hard. Also, try to interact with clients as much as possible; you will learn as much, or more from client interaction as you will from your managers.

Advice to Management

Training was a bit light. I felt like I was lost for the first week or two.

Date: 2013

An intense & fulfilling encounter with auditing financial institutions

The strengthening of my auditing knowledge & brainstorming/planning how to test journal entries in compliance with new legislation.

The delay in feedback about my performance.

There is a spirit of comradery instead of competition in the audit groups.

Advice to Management

The training wasn't as helpful as it could have been in preparing me for the expectations of the audit groups I was working with.

Hard work, dedication.

Flexibility to work from home as an intern.

Long hours needed sometimes to get the job done, but iI knew it came with the job.

Great people and a lot of learning to do, never repetitiv which keep you on your toes.

Advice to Management

Traning, received great training but sometimes fell short of what we encounter in the actual job.

The Right Place to Be

It's a large enough firm to get good experience, but small enough where you're still noticed.

No cons that I can think of

Work hard, ask lots of questions, and be the person you would like to work with.

Date: 2013

Crowe offers excellent real world experience with the opportunity to develop one's career professionally and academically

Travel - allows the intern to travel to places they otherwise wouldn't have. They pay is very competitive. The people are willing to teach and train interns as if they were a staff.

The long wait between onboarding and the start of the first engagement.

Reach out to management about the area in which you are interested. Network with the staff and take advantage of the learning tools.

Date: 2013

Excellent opportunity to grow and obtain experience to benefit your future career choices

The learning curve is very steep and extensive but that aspect certainly helped me grow and understand what I wanted when it came to future career opportunities.

The internship was intense when it came to hours and it was a struggle to maintain a work-life balance during that time. However my internship was during busy tax season and I was forewarned and prepared for this issue.

During your internship, act as professionally as possible, knowing that your behavior and attitude towards your work and fellow employees will reflect on your performance and determine whether or not you get a full-time offer.

Advice to Management

N/A

Date: 2013

"Learn What it Takes to Make it in the Real World"

I learned so much that I had never known about auditing. It allows you to get real world experience outside of the classroom and see what it's really like when you will start your full time job.

The internship was for a short length of time. I started my internship in mid-January and it lasted until the end of March. College classes don't start until August, so for five months I had to find another job until classes started again. It would have been nice to be able to have the internship last a little longer.

Crowe Horwath has a fun, friendly culture that allows you to really enjoy working. My favorite part of working for Crowe Horwath was the people I was able to meet and get to know; as well as the experience that I attained that I could not get in the classroom. Crowe Horwath treats their employees well and is a great company to work for.

Date: 2013

An internship with the Centralized Audit Services Team at Crowe helped me find my place in accounting.

As opposed to many other audit interns, I did not have to travel. This made family life a real option during busy season. In addition, the leadership at Crowe was very responsive to questions and assisted me in learning many new skills. The training we attended as interns is the same as the training given to any first year staff. At Crowe this is because being chosen as an intern means leadership really is already looking to develop you to join in the near future full time.

The biggest drawback to the internship was the hours. During busy season, an audit intern is expected to work Saturdays and works around 50-60 hours a week.

Working at Crowe is enjoyable. The willingness of more experienced collegues all the way up to the firm partners to help and teach is great. The atmosphere is one of teamwork with set goals to accomplish.

Exceeding expectations

Client interaction, working with engagement teams in the field, interacting with the other interns

Not much feedback throughout regarding my performance

You'll gain real world experience working on teams and interacting with client. Out in the field you are treated as a first year staff rather than an intern. The work is challenging but there is a great support system around you.

Advice to Management

Give periodic feedback throughout the internship. Clarify and enforce the performance manager-intern and peer liason-intern roles and expectations.

Date: 2013

Gaining real work experience and establishing meaningful relationships.

Great learning experience and great people that care about my development.

The traveling makes me apprehensive. I enjoy traveling, but hope that when I move up in the company, my travel will be cut back.

Always ask questions. Make sure you are punctual. Give it your best shot and understand that you will make mistakes because you are brand new to this.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have a great relationship with your employees. Make sure you know their passions and desires for themselves. They will work hard for you when they know you have them in your best interests.