Armanino Audit Internship, Tax Internship

A great opportunity for any aspiring young accountant and businessperson.
San Jose, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was the experiences I was able to gain while completing the typical work of a first year staff member. Having this real-world experience was definitely beneficial and has drastically increased my comfort and understanding of accounting.

I would have preferred a bit more training before going directly into fieldwork. Without the ability to have the basic knowledge, I was unsure of my role during my first two clients. After "training week" (week three) I felt much more comfortable talking with clients, completing work papers, and asking technical questions.

Take full opportunity of the experience by meeting with managers and partners, asking questions, and leveraging your experience and knowledge. As an intern, you will have the benefit of meeting tons of great people who will have insight and opinions of the career path, and make sure to take advantage of the great opportunity.

Advice to Management

I truly loved everything about working at Armanino, from the great staff, managers, and partners, to the flexible work environment.

Having fun while working hard.
San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility was definitely one of the best aspects. It wasn't just flexible for me as an intern but it was flexible for everyone. If you had an apppointment or a training you were able to work from the office rather than the client. If you needed to leave early on a Friday you could work extra during the week. The people was another one of the best aspects. Everyone was so nice and willing to help you. A lot of the people at the firm started here so they understand how it feels to have questions. The overall best aspect for me was that I got to do a lot more auditing than my friends at other firms did. I would ask them about how they audited certain things and they would have no idea.

The only thing that I didn't like was that it was the working world, but that would have been the same anywhere I was interning.

Armanino is a lot more relaxed than and not as structured as a Big 4 firm. What I mean by that is I don't feel pressure to stay more than 8 hours and it could take you less time to move up the ladder than at a Big 4. I think it is really important when choosing an internship to at least know the type of atmosphere and people you want to work with. This is not a competitive atmosphere this is very much a team atmosphere where people care about your personal life and care about theirs as well. Working here doesn't throw you into the typical work day grind. If you are someone who really values your friends and family this is a great place for you.

Is Audit the Right Path for You?
San Jose, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people at Armanino were amazing to work with.

It was hard to keep the interns busy with relevant work the whole time.

I think this a great internship if looking for a career in audit

The level of support, training, and leadership I found at Armanino McKenna during my internship surpassed my expectations.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The close mentoring, technical support , and culture of collaboration within the firm were some of the best aspects fo the internship.

In reflection, my whole experience, from training to fieldwork to teambuilding, was a positive one. Help was either at my fingertips or sitting right beside me whenever I faced a new task or issue.

Prioritize these as you may, but do consider your access to leadership, training, and mentoring, in addition to the "life-work" balance of the firms you are evaluating. By all means, speak with the employees on the ground and have them address your concerns about the firm.

I learned exactly what it would be like as an audit staff for Armanino Mckenna.
San Francisco, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that Armanino did not waste my time with intern activities such as team building, I was exposed to the world of audit. I also really like my co-workers. All of them were very friendly and helpful.

There were no cons to my internship.

Learn as much as you can in those 8 weeks.

An Introduction to the real work of a tax accountant
San Jose, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working with the people in the office. They were patient with my questions- and I had a lot. I liked getting to see what accounting work is like outside of the classroom and learning more about the field.

My first week was very slow. I had two days of training, but on the third day all of the seniors were gone for training so there was no one to give or explain assignments. Even the rest of the week was slow, too. It sort of seemed like there wasn't much of a plan for me, later I realized that it was because information still had to come in from the client.

AMLLP is a great organization with people that are interested in your development. It is professional and a great opportunity. To be successful ask lots of questions!

Advice to Management

The organization was a great place to work and I felt included. Just remember that most interns aren't used to a workplace setting so seemingly routine activities are new.

Actual Experience, Actual Learning, and an opportunity to decide if this is what you want in your future.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was that I was not bringing coffee to people and doing remedial work. I was using my knowledge and what I go to school for in order to preform the tasks assigned. I was learning along side professionals who had a genuine interest in helping my advancement in my career and answered any questions I had. What truly solidified my decision to go with Armanino was the People and what made my internship great was all that I learned.

I did not like that they did not offer me a second internship even when I received a high evaluation. They had talked full time offer before grad school came into the picture and I felt if they valued me as an intern as much as they had said they would want to keep me around even if it was for another internship.

Always ask questions. There is no way you will grow or learn from an internship if you don't ask questions.
The people make the biggest difference, if you don't like the people you are working with you won't enjoy your experience so when making a choice think about the type of people and the culture at a company.

Advice to Management

Continuous training of the interns would help. Case Study is a good idea. Getting feedback throughout the process and helping people out.
Also, if you have a quality person. Keep them around. Regardless of what it takes.