The Boston Consulting Group, Inc.

4.3 of 5 stars Average Employee Rating (of 7 Employee Reviews)

Submit a Company Review

Entry-level in Health Care and/or Pharmaceuticals
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

clients and people

Lack of transparency in internal processes

Entry-level
Atlanta, GA | 2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

The way the internal processes are structured in these fast paced environments, you can easily get into virtuous loops or doom loops based on pure chance, dependent on who you get assigned to work with on the first couple of projects. It is not specifically a firm hazard, but rather an industry hazard.

People seem to be promoted on the basis of 'consulting' skills and not real people management skills. Hence, there is high variability in this area, from people who are really young with no industry or life experience, to seasoned people with extensive pre-consulting experience and good people development skills. Despite what the firms say, the reality is that who you end up with makes all the difference, as they fully influence your development as well as your future prospects at the firm. You would have little control over it in the first year. By then, you are likely in one or the other loop.

Also, with the really busy schedules and the high attrition, people can be very disconnected and tend to have a perception management attitide. This can be very demotivating if you are coming from environments where people have a longer horizon and invest in building real connections, rather than just seeming to do so to have a box checked.

However, if you get lucky enough or see some long term benefit in sticking with management consulting, this is a very good firm to work for. If you stay beyond 2-3 years, the firm is very flexible and allows you an amazing range of options in how you plan your career - you can take time off for personal reasons, pursue other interests for a time, work part time, transition to non-consulting roles for a time, etc.

I found this review helpful (2 others have found this review helpful)

Entry-level in Pharmaceuticals and Health Care
Los Angeles, CA | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Long hours make us burn out pretty quickly. Recruiting message about work life balance not at all in line with what is true.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Mid-level in Telecommunications & High Tech
San Francisco, CA | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Interesting work.

Hours and constant pressure

Comments

While the job is interesting it used to be manageable. The last couple of years have been crazy and people are getting burnt out.

Experienced in Strategy
Atlanta, GA | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

My peers and clients by far.

The lack of training and lack of advancement opportunties

Comments

Atlanta office has not grown much in recent history. In fact, the top of the pyramid has decreased in size, with partners leaving both the Atlanta and Miami offices. Without a partner transferring from NY to Miami, the Miami would not have had a partner at all. North America leadership decided to combine Texas and Atlanta/Miami into one system in part to juice business development. We'll see how thing work out.

What this means for job satisfaction is that the Atlanta office has a disproportionate amount of Project Leaders and Principals relative to Partners. Advancement opportunities are viewed to be few and far between-- only one Atlanta or Miami principal has been promoted to partner in the past four years, and he left recently.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Experienced in Telecommunications & High Tech
New York, NY | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

No processes, passive aggressive, unstructured, weak pay

Experienced in Strategy
Chicago, IL | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Compensation, travel and exoenses.

Leadership, consulting is a terrible profession. We add 0 value

Comments

I will soon leave the company. I would like to do more with my life than make powerpoint slides and make up data.