The Blackstone Group

4.4 of 5 stars Average Employee Rating (of 56 Employee Reviews)

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Smart people, brand name, growth opportunities in career

Long hours and weekends

Comments

Extremely bright and well qualified colleagues

Extensive global relationships open doors to meetings with almost any

C-level attention from clients on key issues / meetings with decisions makers at clients

Great exposure to clients at all levels of responsibility within the group

The people I work with.

Comments

We have a great track record of placing analysts into the most highly sought after positions. For associates and more experienced bankers, the lean environment gives you client exposure you simply wouldn't be afforded at a larger bank - Blackstone is a place where you can work hard and that work will be recognized and rewarded.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Blackstone M&A associates need to value a high degree of autonomy and responsibility early in their careers and must be comfortable working in an environment where there is little room to hide mistakes. The rewards to working at Blackstone M&A are realized via meaningful early professional experience, high cash compensation and extremely high visibility to senior client and firm personnel - but there will probably be less resume credit and name recognition on the face of an associate's accomplishments when compared to peers at larger firms. A successful associate at Blackstone M&A is one who places a higher degree of importance on substance rather than form.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Blackstone's M&A group has the best combination of deal exposure, senior-level mentoring, prestige and work-life balance in the investment banking industry.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Blackstone is the best place on the street to do an Investment Banking program. Great compensation, lots of deal experience, high prestige and the best exit opportunities available.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Outsized reponsibility on unique and interesting assignments/deals; extremely intelligent colleagues who care about your development; limited competition (it's so small that we're not ranked)

Small size and limited resources means your workload can vary tremendously from week to week.

Comments

For many, it may be best to first work for a large firm that will provide a more diverse experience.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Smart, hardworking, and humble.

Culture

Comments

Far better opportunity and experience for junior people (analyst through VP) in terms of exposure, responsibility given, people and culture, versus a bulge bracket investment bank.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Exceptionally smart people, great working environment, very interesting/challenging/diverse work stream, very good compensation relative to competition

Poor work-life balance, lack of non-monetary perks (gym, free insurance, etc.)

Comments

If you are looking at being an analyst, you should focus on exit opportunities at your potential employer, as the absolute majority of analysts leave after 2-3 years. From that perspective, I strongly believe that Blackstone M&A provides the best exit opportunities of anyone on the Street, combined with an excellent learning experience. Try to talk to former analysts at the firms you are considering -- they have the best insight into the life at the firm.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

The firm fosters a strong learning environment in a competitive culture