Peter J. Solomon Company

4.3 of 5 stars Average Employee Rating (of 38 Employee Reviews)

Submit a Company Review

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Small deal teams and great culture

Not as well recognized, but we've been working on bigger and more exciting deals recently so this will probably change

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Firm culture, exposure to clients, lean deal teams, large amount of responsibility for first year analysts, constant interactions with senior level people, quality of life, nice office, retail sector expertise, compensation

Lack of a production team, lack of centralization

Comments

For an experiene with high exposure and the chance to learn a lot quickly on the job, PJSC is a great place to work. Workload is moderate with high compensation and a good quality of life. Deal flow is very consistent, and you will get to work with some of the premier clients in the retail sector.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Senior level exposure. Unparalleled responsibility at a young age

Not as much administrative support

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Growing company, collegial culture, significant senior exposure with flat deal teams, strong dealflow and great work life balance

Small production / back office team

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

High compensation for the hours worked, good work / life balance, sociable work environment

Lower prestige compared to other firms reduces ease of securing PE / hedge fund opportunities

Comments

Large responsibility on small deal teams, some client interaction, work / life balance, compensation, firm culture all big pluses. Exit opportunities for PE / hedge fund employment not as good compared to bulge brackets, however, which is the largest downside.

Culture

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

The collegial culture and the lower than average hours

Extremely political and many analysts go through entire 2 years without extensive deal experience

Comments

Provides decent, but not great exit opportunities. The firm is strong in terms of quality of deal flow but not quantity. Most analysts will get to work on 1 or 2 big transactions but will not often close more than 2 or 3. Politics play more of a part in work atmosphere than at larger banks. Hours are slightly better than at bulge brackets (average of roughly 75-80 hours per week first year and 65-70 second year). Compensation is in line with Street. The firm culture is very collegial and analysts frequently develop strong relationships both in and outside of the office. Overall, a solid 2 year investment banking program, however larger banks will provide a more well-rounded experience.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Analysts get a lot of responsibility and direct contact with Managing Directors; the retail group is dominant

It can be hard to succeed if you are placed in one of the "less important" verticals.

Comments

Be ready to work, but you will be respected. Compensation is at or above street and the hours are good. You will be a generalist, but you will eventually find a role within a couple of groups.

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Lean deal teams, collegial, tight-knit work environment, amount of responsibility as a first year analyst, slightly better work-life balance than bulge bracket

Not as much live deal flow, PJSC name still not highly recognizable

Comments

Great firm in transitioning from college to a professional environment. Tight-knit, collegial firm culture a large plus, and the work-life balance is tough, but better than bulge brackets. As a first year you are given a good amount of responsibility within deal teams, and it is nice to interact with senior bankers and occasionally directly with clients as well. The main downside of the firm is that it does not have as much live deal flow, so harder to gain good modeling experience. Also, the firm is still not widely known despite the large deals we have executed.

Experienced in Mergers & Acquisitions
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

The daily role of an analyst or associate at PJSC is very different than the same role at a bulge firm - largely because our deal teams are very small and analysts/associates have the opportunity to take on a much larger, more critical role on the team.