Westar Energy Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Engineering Internships  /  #20 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Westar Energy Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

Great Culture and learning experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the employees and the jobs associated with the internship.

There was nothing bad about the internship.

Be prepared to take in and learn a large amount of information.

It was a great learning experience.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with engineers, working on actual projects, seeing equipment in the field

There was some downtime every once in a while, but I understand it is difficult for coworkers to do their work along with finding work for an intern.

Be prepared to learn. You learn a lot of things in school, but an internship is a completely different experience.

Real Job Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Obtained all of the necessary job experience to attract the attention of Big Four accounting firms.

Sometimes the auditing subject is boring.

If you want to get job experience so that you can easily get a job upon graduation, choose this internship. I learned a lot and every company I interviewed with for post-graduate employment or other internships wanted me to come back. It did not matter that I was not in clubs or leadership roles at school. All the companies really truly cared about was job experience. Once I started talking about all of my experiences, everything else went out the window. They could tell that I really had gotten true job experience. I am not staying at Westar, because I want to get a public accounting experience.

Advice to Management

Compensation is great. It would be nice to have some training opportunities like the other auditors. I really wouldn't change much.

Relevant, real-world experience.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to perform tasks that full-time employees would otherwise be doing, a variety of different types of projects within the department, flexibilty in hours, and pay,.

I did not work with as many different departments as I thought I might get to.

In order to experience other departments, be sure to be very active about it.

Advice to Management

Make it more well known that you are open to interns working in various departments (after they are comfortable in their position).

Successful and Challenging Opportunity
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The group I was working in, the ability to complete important/meaningful assignments, the work environment, the change in work groups to experience new areas of the company

The initial lack of interaction with other interns

It is a great place to work in a meaningful field and be a productive employee. The company treats you fairly and rewards hard work. The people are friendly and care about you as more than just an intern. It is an opportunity to gain great work experience and create a network of field related references.

Advice to Management

It was a great opportunity. You fairly treat all interns in terms of flexibility around school and in compensation. One tip might be to be more proactive in terms of letting interns know if they are going to be asked to stay on for longer based on their hard work earlier, rather than later.

Summer in learning about coal and gas energy centers and compliance with EPA regulations that govern those facilities
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

pay, opportunity to meet other engineers and see their day-to-day routines

lack of structure, but sometimes the freedom was nice

great company, great atmostphere

Learning experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with and the projects I was working on.

I didn't have enough work to stay busy all of the time.

Great company with great people. Do not hesitate to take an opportunity with them.