Intern at Westar Energy Internship Program? Submit a Review

Topeka intern has a great experience at Wetsar Energy

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The responsibility and freedom. I don't have anyone micromanaging me. I am given a task and then given a deadline, no one watches over my shoulder. Getting to travel to a few different places like Baltimore also made for an unforgettable experience.

My internship required me to be here around 6:30 am every morning this was not ideal but worked out okay because it meant we got to get off much earlier as well.

Take notes, lot of information being thrown at you all at one time. Most people will be alright with you taking notes from them.

you can go back and look at the no0tes you took that day after work.

How does a futures market work?

What is a put and a call?

What is your background?

A Community That Doesn't Micromanage

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the work climate. People here are so helpful and involved in your learning process without being overbearing or micromanaging.

I wish it could've been a little more demanding.

The culture here tops all other places I've visited.

Advice to Management

Diversity is always an area that could benefit from more focus.

One of the most thoughtful corporations in the world valued me from Day 1 with meaningful work, honor, mentoring with company professionals.

Professional Development opportunities.
Attending leadership trainings.
Intern events and opportunities to serve.
Tours of the power generation plants and customer service divisions.
Professionalism from offering to connect me with other interns for living arrangements to a wonderful sendoff honoring my tenure with my group making me feel welcomed, valued, and one of the team.

I am grateful for this opportunity and absolutely loved everything about the organization, thoughtfulness, and human-heart investment that goes into developing a phenomenal team I looked forward to working with everyday.

Please do apply. The Intern Program is very competitive, but it is a privilege to work with a group of very thoughtful people.

Advice to Management

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome to talk, be encouraged, laugh, and be coached in all aspects in my work as a student doing professional, meaningful work in the company in the summer. Phenomenal job and work providing a wonderful opportunity!

Westar Energy is the place to be in the utility business.

Wichita, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everybody I meet loves their job
Everyone is willing to help and give advice
Give the opportunity to learn the way that I learn best

The interview process took a little longer than I was comfortable with because I almost accepted job at another company.

It might seem like it takes a little longer than expected but once you get in the company, it will be extremely beneficial for your career development, you will enjoy your work because it is challenging and less stressful compared to other businesses jobs, everyone currently employed loves what they do and Westar Energy continuously trains and invests in all of their employees, particularly their interns.

Most productive experience yet

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work with people from different areas within the Company and being able to make a difference in the operations of the company

The only thing that I did not like was the travel time to get to/from work and home.

Talk to the people. Try to find someone that doesn't like working here. It is impossible. You won't find anywhere better.

An opportunity to grow into the kind of person I've always wanted to be.

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I would say the exposure to all the different kinds of work/jobs here at Westar Energy. You get to meet real people who give you a true perspective on being a professional in a corporate culture. You also have the opportunity to get outside of your work group and job shadow other areas. There is a lot of events set up for interns to learn about other departments, network with our exectives and to build relationships with our peers. I love being able to have real world experience that takes what I'm learning in the class room and add real life value to it.

I have no complaints. I've truly enjoyed every aspect of my internship.

Right now our company is in a state of transition, which might be scary, but no matter where things land our values and culture will carry us through. Adapatability and intergrity are two huge values at Westar Energy and being able to be a part of a team that takes those to values to heart has taught me a lot about myself, who I want to be and what kind of company I want to work for.

Advice to Management

The dress for the day dress code policy is awesome, I would just encourage management to continue to think outside of the box and develop our culture further to being modern, adaptable and appealing to millenials.

Can you give me an example of a time that you had to work through a tough situation and still deliver strong customer service, and how did you do that?

I worked with great people, got a lot of experience, and got compensated very well.

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with friendly people who are always willing to take time out of their schedules to help you. The people here don't make you feel like an intern. They make you feel like you are a part of the team. There are a good amount of intern mixers to help get to know the other interns. The lunch and learns help you get to know more about the company. You will learn a lot in a short time and get paid well.

I don't have anything negative to say.

If you want to work with very friendly people then Westar Energy is the place. Everyone is always willing to help you.

Advice to Management

For interns who drove from every day from various places, I would split the gas compensation between the two monthly checks as opposed to it all being on one check, if that is allowed.

Summer of Challenge, Experience, Opportunity and Fun

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amazing people, Westar has some of the greats employees that all love their job. With this kind of atmosphere it never made me dread going into work. The different opportunities given to me to see different parts of the company. I loved being able to see so many different aspects to the company outside my department I am interning in.

I wish the orientation would have been sooner. It seemed like a lot of us had already been working for a few weeks and the information would have been more helpful earlier on.

This is a great company to work for. You are really valued as an employee and everyone loves their job.

Advice to Management

Make the compensation benefits more clear.

Being an intern at Westar Energy was an incredible experience

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the corporate culture, the learning environment, and the opportunities that we had to contribute meaningful work. Also the actual internship program was great, and they provided us with so many tools and experiences. I felt like an actual employee, and not only an intern, and I don't think that all companies treat their interns in that manner so I feel very blessed for being able to experience that here at Westar.

I really have nothing bad to say about the internship and I enjoyed everything that I was a part of.

I think that everyone who wants to learn, grow, and develop not only as a student but as a person, should consider working at Westar. The way that they treat their employees, especially their interns is something that is rare to find and not all companies will do.

A summer jam packed with Learning, Accountablitiy, Great People, & Exposure to a great industry. Westar Energy Internship Program!

Topeka, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship program included; being able to work on meaningful tasks, being able to work along side of great people in and out of the workplace who were willing to accept you as apart of the team and help you along the process, & just the culture as a whole along with all of the opportunities to learn and be exposed to other areas of the company at your desire! Also, the events that happened continuously throughout the summer definitely helped us be able to connect with other interns and have a great experience.

I literally can't think of a thing that I didn't like or enjoy my entire 10 weeks!

I would say, go interview and get a feel for the people/culture. Then ask yourself do you believe it's a summer where you'll dread everyday. Honestly, there are some pretty good paid internships out there. I don't believe that many offer the total package that Westar Energy does.

Advice to Management

Literally, my advice would be to continue to be innovative as the company progresses. Also, to do a better job at promoting one of the best Internship programs in the United States.

Name a time that you had an obstacle that was out of your control, but you still had to deal with it in order to progress. How did you deal with that from a behavioral stand point?

Name some of your strengths and weaknesses?