Westar Energy Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Energy Internships  /  #12 Best Overall Internships

4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 54 Intern Reviews)

Working with the latest technologies in the most vital public service utility.
Topeka, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were wonderful across the entire company. I got to see many parts of the company as an intern that normal people, even those with full time positions in the company, do not get to see. My projects were exciting, relevant, and important to my department.

I had to commute 1 hour to and from work each day.

You need to learn about distribution.

What you need to know about a utility
Wichita, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning all the time from the engineers

The learning curve I had to rapidly adjust to

Be prepared to learn a lot

Advice to Management

Allow interns to have the proper software and programs many engineers have

Excellent Intenship

Learning about the Electrical Utility Business

Topeka's downtown construction made it harder to get to the office

Westar offers a great internship program if they offer you an internship accept it.

Westar, a power company with an amazing work culture!
Topeka, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities to learn about all aspects of the company, getting the opportunity to spend time with the VP/COO

Too short - but that was my constraint not the companies.

Amazing company to work for, would recommend to everyone. It's very helpful to make contact with representatives of the company thru career fairs and different campus networking events. And research the company well before any interviews - it's obvious when you don't know anything about the company.

It's been nearly a year since my interview, so I don't recall them specifically. They were more on the side of behavioral questions and not necessarily technical questions.

Advice to Management

No recommendations, it was a great experience!

Great learning experience with lots of task freedom and hands on oportunities.
Topeka, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom I had to learn from anyone in the company and to experience and learn however much I wanted to.

Long drive to and from work.

It's a great opportunity and I highly recommend it.

How would you apply what you've learned in college to the job we would be offering you?

What would you like to gain from this job opportunity?

Advice to Management

I think you guys did a great job and have no advice to give.

learn how to operate with enterprise systems - what they don't teach you in CS school.
Topeka, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was not pinned down to one small IT group, rather, I had the oppurtunity to gain a company wide perspective of IT.

They were not too keen on letting me tour the nuclear plant or data centers because of "security" reasons. ;)

Highly recomended if you want to work in a fast-paced, collaboritive environment where you support mission-critical enterprise software systems.

Exhilarating and friendly learning environment

Empolyees

IT difficulties

Wonderful company that encourages you to find your area of interest. Great program!

Life Changing Opportunity + A TON OF FUN! This is by far the best internship ever, and I am so thankful to be a part of this program.
Topeka, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship offered a lot of opportunities to network and learn about different areas of the company. I really enjoyed being able to work closely with the VP's and have a one on one conversation with the CEO. I learned a lot about the company as a whole, and being able to experience different parts of the company allowed me to see what working for Westar would truly be like. Another huge part of my internship was the relationship I was able to build with my supervisor. My supervisor made me feel important and took time to find out what my passions and skills were and encouraged me to develop myself further throughout the process of my internship.

I honestly have no dislikes about this internship. I feel blessed to have this experience.

For advice that I would give to a potential Intern is that working for Westar is an opportunity not only to learn about the company but to grow as an individual and if given the chance to work for Westar they better not waste it. I would encourage a potential intern to meet as many people as they can and take the time to get to know the people they are introduced to. Westar is like a family in the sense that people are genuine and care about one another and that cultivating relationships is an important aspect to being successful in this company. I would also advice interns to make the most out of their summer by working hard to not only perform tasks assigned by their supervisor but to take initiative and dive into projects they might not have considered before.

I was asked a question about a time that I had to overcome an issue and what process did I go through to find a resolution.

I felt like this was a strong question that allowed me to answer in a way that could display to them several of my strengths.

Advice to Management

As for management, the only advice I would give is that the program they have now is working and is successful and that in order to stay on top of their game I would challenge them to come up with new innovative ways to keep interns engaged. I have no issues to address.

An experience unlike any other where the corporation is huge, but still small enough where the CEO, CFO, and COO know my first name.
Topeka, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

High wage, supportive co-workers, solid internship program, networking opportunites, job shadowing other departments.

Sitting in a quiet cubicle.

Ask a lot of questions and job shadow opportunities are available so take advantage of everything the internship program has to offer.

What are your weaknesses?

Advice to Management

More lively interactions.

Great Opportunity

-The people

-The location

-The pay

- The company is great

- Internship program

-Not very interesting field

Anyone should be able to do this job as long as they are willing to work, not afraid to ask questions, and have a basic knowledge of electricity and engineering.

-Given the parts on the table : 1. Identify when the part was made and tell em what it is, 2. given these two parts that serve the same function which part is more expensive and which part is more reliable, 3. Knowing what this part is made of why were those materials chosen?

-Given an excel spreadsheet with data: 1. Given this table of scattered data can you organize this by KV and total up the similar products.

Advice to Management

Nothing, the best management team I have ever worked with