Intern at Westar Energy Internship Program? Submit a Review

Westar Energy Internships offer quality hands on experience that will challenge, excite and develop you further as a professional!

Topeka, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great pay, great people, important and valuable work expereince, opportunites to get invovled and be engaged.

I wish that I would have had more time interacting with the executive team but it was a very busy summer and we had a limited schedule.

There are so many opportunites at Westar, it's hard to see from the outside all the amazing and fun things this company does. You have to be willing to give it a chance and be open to learning about things you may have never been exposed to.

Advice to Management

I think Westar is doing a great job, no recommendations.

Can you recall a time you faced an uncomfortable situation with a customer, how did you handle it ?

Telling our story

Wichita, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

being able to grow as a business professional

I love working but sometimes I felt I missed out on the "summer" with my friends but I wouldn't trade it.

Understand that we need to tell our story

Great experience

Topeka, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Worked with great people that helped me over the summer.

Was a little bored at times.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

Would have like to have gone on more tours.

What tech electives have you taken so far?
What programming languages are you familiar with?

Best first time full time job experience

Topeka, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work with experienced and knowledgeable individuals who could really help me develop professionally.

I couldn't take naps

The people are very friendly and you're always welcome and encouraged to ask a lot of questions.

Electrify your Future

The people.

It didn't last longer.

Ask plenty of questions.

Dynamic

Topeka, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and their willingness to help me and make me feel a part of the culture.

I would have enjoyed more ability to have flex time.

I think it is important to realize what a prestigious internship it is and to take full advantage of all the different aspects that it offers.

Advice to Management

I would suggest a shorter on-boarding process.

I was asked about difficult situations, strengths, weaknesses, and questions regarding debits and credits relating to accounting.

I love the diversity.

Topeka, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

My best aspects of my internship was the feeling to know what I work on contributed to the company.

I enjoyed my internship.

To learn all that you can. Never be afraid to ask question because you want to get as much as possible out of your internship.

Advice to Management

I believe my company is improving everyday.

How do you manage your time?
How well do you work with a team?
Tell me about yourself?

A fun and interesting place to work and learn real life experience. I was never afraid to ask questions and always felt welcome.

Wichita, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned a ton of information that I never knew before and it opened my eyes to the electric and power industry that most people do not know or understand.

Some of the software used was very old and slow, but that is being replaced soon.

This is a great company to work and use your experience from class in the real world. You will be treated like a fully time employee and will not find nicer co-workers anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Give access to new and the best software possible to allow for faster completion, and more accurate projects and estimates.

What is the difference between Generation, Transmission, & Distribution?

How would you deal with a difficult employee?

Westar Energy provides a unique approach to beginning corporate work and with guidance and expertise

Topeka, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to learn not only what my job requirements are, but to job shadow and work with people in other departments to get a holistic view of the company.

The time spent inside, although it was necessary.

While interning at Westar, attempt to learn as much about the company as you can because the diversity of career options is staggering and the position you have now may not be what your intended career is, but Westar is likely to have what you are looking for.

How have you practiced safety in previous work?

Great Experience In Power Industry

Topeka, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay is excellent. The internship included several all day field trips to power plants, substations and other Westar work environments.

A little difficult to gauge how well I performed as I was the only intern in my department.

Work as hard as you can at any tasks you receive, but remember to take your time to do things as correctly as possible. People remember how good a job you did, not how quickly you did it.

What does 60 Hz mean to you?

Describe an experience in which there were many possible ways to accomplish a task. What decision did you make and how did you make it?