Westar Energy Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Engineering Internships  /  #20 Best Overall Internships

Learn and Discover how to apply your education to the workforce.

Experience and Pay

Nothing, I enjoyed it all.

Get as much work prior work experiance as possible. Look for professional and self development, through leadership roles,seminars, volunteer work or employment.

Advice to Management

No suggestions

Responsiblity for real world engineering problems.
Wichita, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given a lot of responsibility, worked with great people, and learned everyday.

I had to get used to waking up and being at work at 7 every morning. And my computer operating sofware was a little outdated. Definately not much to complain about.

Westar has great people to work with and you can give yourself the opportunity learn and grow professionally everyday.

Advice to Management

I would have liked to see what other divisions of Westar engineering are and what they do. Maybe shadow the line side or substation side for a day.

Learn how an electric utility provides power and all of the people who have roles to accomplish it.
Topeka, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with a great team in a positive atmosphere.

Very little structure, did not really have goals to meet beyond what I set for myself.

Stay opened minded and keep a professional attitude. Even if you have difficulties finding a comfortable fit or are placed in an area you didn't expect, the experience will be invaluable. There is also room for moving in the event you see a position which you may want to apply to later after getting ground level experience.

Excellent internship opportunity.
Topeka, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and atmosphere.

There was nothing that I disliked about my experience.

Great internship experience.

Advice to Management

I saw no changes that needed to be made.

Internships With Westar Present Opportunities
Topeka, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

doing valuable work for the HR department, networking with people in the department and around the company.

Nothing, really. I had a wonderful experience.

Best internship in the Topeka area.

I got to drive a tesla, sit in a board meeting, travel around the company, and learn about what drives the electric utility industry.
Topeka, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the wide variety of things I got to do. Everyday I was learning something new and meeting new people.

Even though I was an engineering intern, I did not have an engineering project to work on. I spent my summer mainly traveling and learning, not on a project.

Westar is a great company to intern for. You will have the opportunity to learn as much as you want, and meet people you otherwise wouldn't. On my last day, the CEO took another intern and I out to lunch, and we talked for about two hours. Where else would you get to do that?

Advice to Management

More intern activities. I didn't feel like I got to get to know many of the other interns because they were spread out through the company. A better computer (windows 7 instead of XP) would have been nice too, mine would often have trouble connecting to the internet.

If you are looking for a career in power, or to simply get an idea of the industry, Westar is a great place to do so.
Topeka, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with awesome people. Getting a real feel for what I would actually be doing full time.

The driving distance, but that was my issue, not Westar's

If you're willing to work for the company and you work hard, they will try their best to find you a position.

Advice to Management

More pay!!:) I really don't know, as my internship experience was excellent, and much better than I had expected.

An incredible way to get your foot in the door with an excellent company.
Topeka, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Work environment, payment, co-workers.

- Monotony of day to day tasks

- A big enough company to gain the corporate exposure - but small enough to have lunch with the CEO.

Advice to Management

- Better reimbursement for car mileage.

- More opportunities for job shadowing in other areas of the company.

Engineering Student Receives Chance of a Lifetime to Learn from Industry Leaders
Wichita, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work with the best people in the business. I worked with brilliant individuals who have been doing this work for over 25 years. They were extremly nice and more than wiling to help me develop.

I am not able to work for Westar.

Learn as much as possible and see as much of the company as possible.

Advice to Management

I wish they had an ability for me to work from Omaha. Other than that, this was an amazing opportunity. I will always appreciate Westar for this opportunity.

Well payed part time internship for a utiliy company with great people
Topeka, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the people at Westar.

I was able to learn about the utility business.

It was paid very well.

My schedule was incredibly flexible

I did not have enough work.

It was not as challenging as I was expecting

It is a good company to work for. Everyone cares about you.

Advice to Management

I wish that I had worked full time during the summer. My boss is incredibly busy, so I don't always have stuff to do or am not learning that much sometimes.