Intern at Westar Energy Internship Program? Submit a Review

Rewarding

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the best aspect was getting the chance to intern in different departments

I least like the fact that the company is going through a merger. The job opportunities, once the internship is over, don't appear to be bountiful

Speak up. Ask questions. Don't be shy. The worst thing you can do is come to work everyday and not ask questions. Get to know your co-workers. Grow your network

I worked on projects that when completed would have a real impact on both the customers and employees of the company.

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Friendly employees that make support available whenever it is needed. Projects that require a wide range of skills to complete and reward a multitude of real world lessons about the industry. Connections to an even bigger network of interns through the city wide intern program.

I have no noteworthy issues regarding my time spent with Westar

Due to the nature of Westar being a large utility company. Most projects move, in my opinion, frustratingly slow sometimes. There are so many moving parts that have to be taken into account when doing any work but this also gives you a wide range knowledge because you have to know how everything works.

Advice to Management

After the first day of getting my project, I was given essentially free rein of all projects with maybe a couple suggestion on what actions to start with. Yeah this was great learning experience but I think maybe some formal training in some aspects would have been helpful.

What do you know about the utility industry? What's your skillset regarding large data management software? They gave me various components of their assets to try and identify its possible purpose.

This is as good as it gets!

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting hands on experience. All the employees going out of their way to help you understand better.

Pretty much nothing.

It is one of the few companies that stay true to their word. Once they make a commitment to you, they will make sure to keep it. You would get all the real world experience in this company through their internship program.

Real life experience

Wichita, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am actually able to work on real engineering problems and not just busy work. I have gotten a great feel for what the industry entails and how it functions. I am treated as though I am part of a team and my contribution to that team is considered valuable.

There is always some busy work related to internships, which is to be expected. It's not always fun, but you can learn something from every task you complete.

Engage as much as you can in your internship, always push the limit of what you think you can do and don't be afraid to ask for help along the way. Its okay if you don't know everything when you start, just always give every task the best effort you can. The little things matter most, like showing up for work on time. Internships are an opportunity to learn something that you will never have the chance to learn is school, especially how to get along in a professional setting. At the end of the day you will either get a job with the company or have a bunch of experience to take to another job.

Advice to Management

Keep giving interns real work to do and continue to help them along the way. It think interns learn naturally how to work in a professional environment just by watching, but some expectations for what an intern should be learning about the professional workplace would help. I think an intern needs this more than any technical skills because they won't learn how to be a professional anywhere else.

My employer asked me several technical questions, and tested me on that with an example excel sheet. My employers asked me questions that related to my character and how I would react in different situations.

Most rewarding internship

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned a lot from this internship and be able to apply what I learned from school to the real life.

I like everything about this internship

I wish I would know more about the regulations of this industry.

Westar offers best professional development internships

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I got to work with and the overall tasks I was given. It was more than just an internship, they treated me like a full member of the team and helped me grow and both a business professional and as an individual. It was very engaging and educational to be able to connect with other departments throughout the company as well as learn first hand things that I have been taught in the classroom.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't stay longer. I'm studying abroad in England, otherwise I would never want to leave.

I think the information was very straight forward when I started. I have never felt unprepared or unaware of the things going on with both the internship and the duties I was assigned.

Advice to Management

They're perfect and flexible and pay very well. It's an amazing place to be.

They asked questions about times I've practiced leadership, had to think quickly, and others similar. They asked "how would you handle this" type of questions specific to the duties the job requires. Other questions about why I would be a good fit and specifically, why I should be considered as an underclassman when they were specifically looking for upperclassmen or graduate students.

Real World Expierence, Real Projects, not just getting coffee Internship...

Wichita, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentoring and the actual project you get to work on

slow on boarding process at first

Our culture is about our employees.

What do you want to gain from this internship?

I had a great experience working with the design techs in the Manhattan office. They were extremely helpful and easy to work with.

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the best part of my internship was getting to get my hands on some real work and being able to take pride in what I've done.

I didn't like how I had to wait until Maximo rolled out to start work, for that month I didn't have much to do.

I wish I would have known more about electrical distribution before I had started so I wasn't so in the dark coming in.

It was a great learning experience.

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to see all parts of the company and doing meaningful work.

Sometimes the work was a little outside of my knowledge base.

I think it would be helpful to get an in depth look at what you would actually be doing.

This internship gave way for professional develpment i couldnt have imagined in one summer and put me in a great position to start my career

Topeka, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were great to work with and very helpful. The responsibility I was able to take on made me feel like a contributing member of the team and the work was diverse and interesting just what a student wants out of a summer internship.

The locating is not ideal for me because I worked in a very rural area

Take advantage of all the opportunities for work and learning as possible, there is always more to learn at a power plant and always plenty of work to be done.

Advice to Management

Probably pay plant engineers better and reduce their hours or hire more engineers. From what I understand the plant engineers work really long hours especially during outages and their retention is really low. Maybe work on fixing that because I know that is one of the few things that makes me hesitant to work here full time.

Explain a time where you had to complete work even through tough obstacles?

Explain your thought process when approaching a system or problem you have no previous experience with?