EA Internship/Co-op Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #19 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Technical Artist helps ensure it's in the game!

It was my first experience working with games. I had the opportunity to network and work with a lot of brilliant individuals. I also enjoyed the social events for the interns and for the game teams (movie nights, trip to Universal Studios, Bowling, etc). I also enjoyed the free games and the nice backpack that interns receive.

I really enjoyed the whole experience, so I can not think of any cons.

I believe a good candidate is someone who is willing to learn not only independently but also from other experienced experts. As a technical artist, it does require a good sense of organization and forsight into the potential use of a production tool or workflow. Most importantly, a technical artist should be able to bridge the gap between software engineers and artists, so knowing scripting languages (C#, Python, Mel, Javascript, etc) and production tools (Maya, Photoshop, Houdini, etc.) is definitely crucial.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to offer some training courses during the summer to help take better advantage of the technology available in the studio.

How To Make Yourself Better Everyday and Have Fun Doing It

Getting to do what I love. Really feeling like a part of my team.

My particular team works on so many projects that I often feel like I'm being pulled in every direction. At the same time, I kind of love that. I also felt like I didn't have very one on one time with my manager.

Utilize your time wisely to meet and network with other people within the company. Get to know everyone and do your best everyday. If you don't have enough to do, ask for more.

Date: 2013

It was a wonderful experience, which has helped me learn a great deal about which field I would like to work in during the future.

The atmosphere at work allowed me to work diligently while having fun and connecting with employees.

I interned as an Information Technology intern where I handled the home office ticket queue.

Find out what your work pace is and stay consistent to that pace.

Date: 2013

A wonderfully stimulating experience working with a talented and enthusiastic team to produce a product of which we were all proud.

Being able to start the foundation of my career in my dream job. Discovering how much I loved programming. Working with talented, intelligent, enthusiastic team members. Contributing to a project that I'm very proud of and can't wait to see in its final release.

Occasionally you'll have to work with somebody who you dislike - maybe their quality of work is different from what you're used to, or their communication skills make it tough to interact with them. People like this exist in all disciplines and companies I'm sure, and this aspect of work, though very rare, was my least favorite part of the internship.

I'd definitely recommend this company to a candidate, with the caveat that the candidate must be good at what they do. Everybody here is competent, hard working, responsible, and very good at what they do. It's important that a candidate be prepared to work hard, and be ready to polish their skills in programming or design. (C++ a necessity when programming, experience in movies/games for design)

Advice to Management

This company is very team oriented. Everyone is good friends with each other, and camaraderie is strong. As a new employee, it can be kind of intimidating to get to know a large number of people who are all more experience than you, and who are all friends with each other already. I'd recommend having several events early in the internship to introduce new employees to the team, maybe 5 or 6 people at a time. It would be nice to have a better chance to learn everybody's name, what they do and where they sit. I felt a little bit "thrown into the deep end" when I first started - everybody knew my name but I couldn't keep track of anyone!

Make games, play games.

Flexibility with my project and time. Perks of the campus and job. Team culture. Pay.

Long commute from San Francisco. Working alone.

EA is a great place for an internship. There are many departments that are sure to catch your interest. They take of you as an intern, treat you like an employee. They have great benefits, flexibility, and the culture is really fun. Pays very well!

Advice to Management

There's some tension and unspoken things about employee retention. They cleared a lot of people right before I started, so there are a ton of empty desks. And there seem to be a lot more contractors. It's kind of unspoken but it feels like EA doesn't really care about their employees in terms of job security. Like they just care about saving money where they can. People seem to get fired for no real reason.

Date: 2013

Where work doesn't feel like work! Where you want to talk about work at lunch.

The fun people, relaxed work culture, and interesting products.

Cost of living in the bay area

This is a place where fun and work come together. There are real long term opportunities here with a company you will love.

Its in the game!

The fact that I was able to take charge of an entire feature on a AAA game even this late in the production cycle and actually was able to complete most of it. Enough so that I will be credited on the game launch!

The stay/relocation, though compensated for was quite a bit of a hassle to finalize, find, do up, etc.

Be ready to be on a schedule as you would a full time job and not a simple internship.

Advice to Management

I believe some class based training for all interns together would have helped nourish friendships and also gotten us used to the internal systems in a smoother manner than now.

Best Internship Ever!

The ability to work as a game producer with other producers and be a key player in that team. I was responsible for features in the game and was able to help make creative decisions.

That I don't get to stay on and keep working. This is my favorite job ever, and I wish I could stay.

Do whatever it takes to get this internship. The experience is amazing and worth every minute.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have is have a position open at the end of the internship so if you like the intern you could hire him full time.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Well-rounded fun experience!

EA is a fun place to work! Focus on team building and extensive learning

Sometimes there were long hours (to be expected)

It's excellent! I am so glad I worked at EA!

Advice to Management

There could be more females who work here

Date: 2013

Accessible but challenging internship immerses interns in the gaming industry and provides valuable real-world skills

There's no dress code, the hours are flexible, the work is relevant and actually goes in to the game. Interns are always managed so that they are challenged but not overly stressed out. The intern culture is cool too, and we often get to have team building events outside the studio to learn more about the city and enjoy our stay.

It took a lot of time to get my machine and initial permissions set up, even though my managers had already mapped out much of the work I might be doing.

Love games, and if even if you aren't a gamer per se, play the games you might end up working on before you start. It will help prepare you and keep everything in perspective. Brand yourself too, have a website to show off your work if possible

Advice to Management

It takes a week or two just to get a machine setup sometimes, and that's already potentially a 5th of the internship. It's only a problem because I enjoy the work so much though!