Intern at U.S. Cellular Internship Program? Submit a Review

US Cellular offers a well rounded internship experience where both parties benefit!

Tulsa, OK | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Continually staying connected with the other interns throughout the internship, having a weekly plan for the 10 week program given to me on the first day, having a project that needed to be completed before the internship is over, having weekly meetings with my supervisor, having 2 mentors assigned to me in the office where I can ask questions, getting my own desk and computer, being invited to all the meetings my department is invited to, being encouraged to visit other departments to learn what they do, being treated as if I am a full time employee instead of just an intern that will be gone in 10 weeks by having my colleagues care about my growth and development.

A lot of time is spent in front of the computer(but that is how it is even for non-interns so it is an accurate taste of what working is actually like in this department), the break room does not have seating for people who bring lunch to eat together which means people eat at their desk a lot of the time.

The organization really tries to promote growth within the employees by assigning challenging projects and collaborating with other departments and regions. My advice would be to try and show up to every meeting that you can and take notes, learn what the other departments do early on in the internship, periodically ask what each member of your team is doing in your department, and ask at least 20 questions a day to your mentors. All this will help expedite that growth process, help build relationships with your team mates, and give you confidence and technical social skills for the future.

Advice to Management

I have nothing other than giving us a community place to eat lunch(for the people who bring their lunch) so we can get away from our desks for a bit. The company has been absolutely awesome!

What do you know about the company?
What are the most difficult or impressive projects that you have worked on in your schooling?
Can you tell me about a time when you demonstrated....(insert desirable skill here) ie. initiative, teamwork, patience, good communication skills, etc...

People that invest in you as a person and a professional who are truly concerned with your learning and development

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work with senior level employees, given challenging projects, the effort from the people on the team I work with to make sure I am exposed to areas of the business outside just what I am working on, and the opportunity to use the network of the people who I work with for both learning and career advancement opportunities

Could always be given more projects or opportunities to learn more, but they did a great job of that. Really no complaints. The program was very structured and they gave me exposure to everything I asked for

If I was an incoming intern next summer, I would take a couple of days prior to starting the internship and learn as much as possible about branding and the wireless industry in general. It will help you get comfortable and into the swing of things much earlier, allowing you to learn more and perform to your potential. Just be proactive and come prepared, it definitely helped me.

Advice to Management

Only thing I could recommend would be to outline career paths of people who have started in jobs you would be interested in but I really don't have any criticism, really enjoyed this summer.

What kind of marketing experience do you have, how does your experience translate to what you would be doing for us this summer, tell me about some brands that interest you and why, how do you evaluate advertising, give me an example of how you handle critical thinking/thinking on your feet when presented with a problem, what are your strengths and weaknesses

Awesome job with great flexibility and culture

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom as well as the knowledge gained and the pay. They also sent me to Chicago for a week.

There is nothing I really dislike about the internship.

You're going to love this internship.

A great experience

Being given relevant projects

Not really anything

Tee culture here is awesome. Everyone is very friendly.

A good internship for engineers to learn more about business applications.

Tulsa, OK | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

They paid really well for an internship. I got a lot of business experience, which was helpful to expand my experience since I've already had 3 other engineering internships. I learned a lot about the cellular industry.

Due to the nature of my project, I didn't always have tasks to perform. It's difficult for me to sit in an office with nothing to do.

Be open to any opportunities. You may not be doing strictly engineering work, but there's always something to learn.

Advice to Management

The only thing that could have made my job better is if I had a secondary task that I could work on in my down time. I feel as if I only had work about 50% of the time. Pay was great. Hours and flexibility originally were presented as rigid from HR, but ended up being as flexible as I needed from my manager.

They talked about my extracurricular activities more than the classes that I took. Personality seemed to be more important than grades because they were confident that they could teach me anything.

Local intern prevents microwave antennas from microwaving people

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay, especially with how expensive college is. Not having to work a customer facing job is great, and the generally lax work environment helps moral and decreases stress during difficult projects.

The time I have to wake up for the 8-5 shift is earlier than I like, especially since getting enough sleep (10 pm bedtime) is hard to stick to and sleep deprivation is too common for how easy it is to ruin a good sleep schedule.

My advice is that if there is software you need that requires going through IS or IT, get on top of it ASAP. You don't want to end up halfway into your internship when the last required program is installed. Also, be skeptical and don't be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes, official documents and sources become outdated, which causes problems that feel weird, because it will feel like you have messed up instead of company files being wrong.

Advice to Management

I would strongly recommend that the managers make a list of the projects their interns will work on, then use that list to figure out what resources will be necessary to complete those projects, and making sure those resources will be available before the interns start or at least soon after they start.

Do you know SQL?

Summer Marketing intern attends various community events and dives into online research

Milwaukee, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work-life balance (email set up to only be available inside the office), pay, and independence.

Coworkers across the US I contacted were not aware of my what my projects entailed, thus created a lot of repetition which wasted time.

I didn't have any bad experiences in this internship that if I would have known about beforehand, it would have deterred me from accepting the internship offer or applying for the internship. USCC was a great place to work.

Advice to Management

The person I reported to was not in my office location so it was a little confusing at the start, but over time I got used to the method.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, how outgoing are you?"
"On a scale of 1 to 10, how independent are you?"

Best internship you will ever have.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities to network, travel, access to a real studio and equipment, room for creativity and mistakes, supportive leader and team.

I liked the weekly Intern calls we had but I think the topics of the calls should have been more interesting. For example, while its beneficial for us to learn about the sales process at U.S. Cellular stores and the goals they have, we don't need to dedicate a whole call for that.

Do your research, especially if you're coming into the Brand Management department. Understand the brand and the company's goals. Take notes whenever you can, pay attention in meetings, and ask to be included in as many of them as you can. Ask questions but also, when doing something, try to figure things out yourself first. That way you won't waste any of your team's valuable time, and it will give you a chance to ask questions that really matter rather than little ones you could have figured out yourself.

Advice to Management

The intern event should be organized differently. The first day was too heavy on the presentations. Divide the presentations into two days, and have the networking event on a separate day.

A Internship to learn, grow, and possibly get a full time job.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Can I say the whole thing. There were a lot of good things about this internship the things I liked the most were the ability to learn new skills as well as apply them to real problems. The Culture is great as well no matter who you ask they will say that they are proud of the culture here.

I can't really think of anything that was bad

10 Weeks is really short don't waste it. The worst thing you could do is not do much there are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow as well as network. so the only thing that really holds you back is yourself if you let it.

Advice to Management

Have more tools ready for when the interns arrive, but that is also a learning opportunity about the workplace so it is both a good and bad thing. Bad as in it can take some time before all the tools needed are available. But good in the fact that getting approval and tools that you need are not always ready at a moments notice.

What are some examples of you self teaching yourself?

No Coffee Runners Allowed

Friendly Environment
Great learning experience
I was given options on what I wanted to work on

There wasn't much that I could do for the team individually because a few things were "too hard"

Learn as much as you can during your experience. Speak with people from other teams, to get a feel for what they do and how they contribute to the company.

Advice to Management

As an intern I had to travel to another one of our locations to work on a project. It turns out that the location was further from m house and I would have like to be compensated for the extra gas that I acquired to travel.

Provide an example of a time you ran into a problem while working with a team and how did you get past it