Intern at DISH Summer Internship? Submit a Review

My Internship: A Summer to Remember

worklife, location, events

Basecamp aspect

You would regret not accepting this internship offer.

Interesting work and challenging Opportunity

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company provides a welcoming work environment with a great culture for active people. Dish Network provides excellent opportunity for reaching the stars. They expect hard work and willingness to learn. A person who thirsts for knowledge can go places at Dish Network.

There was a recent merge in the company that made the culture between the department I work for and the corporate office a little strained. How the company handles this and moves forward with the internship program to minimize the differences will make a huge difference going forward. I have complete confidence in the UR team that they will find solutions for next year.

Get involved with your fellow interns, and make the most of the summer. You will have the opportunity to learn and gain valuable experience in dealing with people throughout the summer. It is not often you get to meet and talk to the CEO and founders of a fortune 200 company. Enjoy the opportunities presented for hard work, hard play, and train to hike the 14er!

Great experience in a great city

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the internship class size, the managers and mentors given to each intern, the quality of work interns are trusted to do, provided housing, awesome place to live

4 weeks of it was spent at orientation or base camp; base camp is very important but 4/10 weeks cuts majorly into being able to work on a project

That you will have a lot of responsibility with your project and that's actually a good thing, and DISH is a very culture focused company so put yourself out there and meet as many people as you can

Good work experience

Living with other interns

Company culture seems stingy (full time pay and benefits are lower than average)

Research dish culture/history

Learning Vital Lessons from Influential People About Life and Business

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The community of interns, the location, the responsibility of the summer project, and hiking a 14er with our CEO. Plus, the brown bag lunches where we had opportunities to meet and learn from every executive in an intimate setting.

Nothing-it was wonderful.

Work hard in the summer and there are opportunities in any department available for you, not just the one you interned in.

Great work experience with great people in a great location

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Kind co-workers,,access to all executives, ability to make a real change in the company, location is right outside of Denver, planned group activities with all the interns (hike up a 14er, Rockies game)

Low pay, sudden removal from corporate for 3 out of 10 weeks to learn about the front end

Dish is a professional environment but a place where you can be very comfortable. You are expected to complete an internship long project that is assigned to you and present your findings in front of a lot of people (including your department and the executive leadership in your department). How well you do on this project (as well as your behavior throughout the whole internship) essentially determines if you receive a full time offer. This can be daunting but it is great practice for the future. I would have liked to know about the 3 weeks of front end training before coming into the internship. It is not described as well as it could have been and it is important to know that it is more than just customer service, sales, and in home services training. You will be expected to take calls at the call center (including one Saturday), and to go ride along with the dish technicians for two very long days (they do not work 8-5, they work 7-whenever). Although the 3 weeks out of the office for front end training was surprisingly detailed, I do think it was a great learning opportunity and I did learn things that I was able to use towards my corporate project once I came back to corporate. I was also recently told that interns may not have to do the base camp front end training during the internship in the future, so this part of the review may be something to disregard.

Advice to Management

In order to stay competitive, they need to raise the internship pay. I found that many of my friends in my same major were able to get internships that paid more.

Give an example of times where you demonstrated pride, adventure, and winning.

This internship was the greatest experience and summer of my life thus far.

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great exposure to executive leadership. The company treats the interns very well.

Long length of base camp took time away from my project.

Go in with a positive attitude. It requires a lot of work but a positive attitude will help with those longer days. Do not be afraid to ask question and talk to new people.

Advice to Management

There was no incentive for overtime compensation. I worked a lot of overtime hours but was not paid my normal amount for those hours.

How do you demonstrate CPAW?

DISH interns learn life skills, gain relevant experience

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting other like-minded students, hands on work experience, mentor programs, extracurricular activities within the company

The subsidized housing option was extremely expensive and 4 weeks of your internship is completing "Base Camp" so you only get 6 weeks with your department.

DISH is not necessarily for you if you're not the type of person who wants to put in effort. But if you are, the skills you gain will be invaluable and the overall experience will be unforgettable.

What it feels like to work in a large tech company.

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was thrown in as a team member, and though I was an intern, I felt like I had as though I was a full fledged member of my team and that I was making useful contributions to the project I was on.

There is a lot of transition going on with the EchoStar being merged into Dish Technologies, so there seems to be a lot of uncerntainty about how this will affect the culture and guidelines of the tech division.

I was a little thrown off by the "Base Camp" experience length. While I found it worthwhile, I felt it better suited for new employees rather than interns. The summer interns were here for at most 12 weeks, and Base Camp took up 4 of those weeks, which cut into our project and presentation time, making it hard for some interns to make serious progress on their projects, meaning they had little to show for their presentation.

Advice to Management

Again, I'll mention that I felt Base Camp was better suited to new hires as part of an on-boarding process, rather than interns who have limited time to be useful as is. Also I would be wary of forcing too many corporate office regulations on the development staff which has just come under the Dish umbrella. Developers and engineers are a different breed from business and marketing people, and it can be damaging to try to fit either into the other's mold.

"What languages are you familiar with?"
"Can you tell us about some of the projects you've worked on?"

Dish Network's internship is very immersive!

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great compensation and it had interesting events/activities

Nothing really.

Get ready for a great summer in Denver. Take advantage of it while you can.