DISH Corporate Internships – MBA

Date: 2013

Learning how to thrive in the real world

A lot of responsbilities, empowered to lead and make a difference

Got to observe some inefficiencies in the company

Be prepared to take on bunch of challenges and make an meaningful impact

A complete experience

CHallenging projects, Exposure to higher management, structured program and great people.

Nothing as this is the best place to intern

GIve your best because DISH will give its best.

Advice to Management

It is a complete program. A very fulfilling internship experience.

Date: 2013

Challenge yourself with a meaningful project

The opportunity to learn about all aspect of the business.

Could have used a little more separation from the undergrads

Once inside the organization you'll have the opportunity to be exposed to many departments and you can create your own career path. That's very exciting.

Date: 2013

Amazing exposure coupled with the power to make a difference.

Empowerment, Executive exposure, Autonomy, Level of responsibility, depth of project, high level of support

I loved the whole experience.

The application process is rigorous, but it is worth it. Once at DISH you can really shape your own career.

Advice to Management

Extend the MBA internship to at least 12 weeks (from the 11 weeks is currently is).

Date: 2013

Great opportunity to work on a real project. Company is exciting and fast paced - if you work hard you will be successful

Great project. Also, they really care about the program. Ton of out of work activities and face time with executives.

Leadership training program was lacking.

Sink or swim type of atmosphere. The culture encourages creative and innovative thinking, and allows you to own a project. Work hard to succeed and get ahead.

Advice to Management

Need to compensate more to get top talent from top schools.

Date: 2013

Amazing exposure to top-level management of a Fortune 200 company, straight out of school.

great team, interesting and informative work.

Significant oversight on final deliverable from several levels of management, making it difficult and confusing to coordinate and appeal to all stakeholders.

This company is not the best fit for everyone, but this internship is a great way to discover if it's right for you.

Advice to Management

Clearer expectations and chain of command on final intern project deliverable so expectations are clear.

An Extremely Unique Internship Experience

Meaningful face-time with C-suite executives. Being able to see first-hand how much responsibility the company is willing to give incoming grads. Opportunity to work on high-profile projects and present them to mutliple C-suite execs. Working on due dilligence for an acquisition that actually came to fruition.

The hiring process was VERY late in the MBA hiring season (our on-campus interviews weren't until late March, which is far too late). The communication throughout the hiring process was lacking (especially given the long wait between "final stage" notification and offer).

The company really is willing to give you as much responsibility as you can handle. It's a great opportunity to prove yourself and, if you succeed and produce high-quality work, you will be definitely be noticed and will likely even be presenting directly to C-suite level executives. If rapid career advancement is your interest, DISH could be for you. If you're looking for a huge day-one payday with signing bonus, etc., look elsewhere. (PS - Don't buy in to the stuff from GlassDoor about DISH being the worst place to work. The DISH environment exactly what anyone with at least half an ounce of work ethic would expect.)

Advice to Management

There is a lot of concern among MBA-level talent that DISH's compensation system is at odds with its own culture. The mantra at DISH is Pride, Adventure, Winning, except that this mantra doesn't seem to extend to hiring negotiations. A take-it-or-or-leave it offers with no signing bonus, only two-weeks of vacation (for five years), and a short acceptance window simply does not appeal to a candidate who empbodies Pride, Adventure, or Winning. Hiring practices and package negotiations should be aligned with the type of environment the company hopes to promote.

Fast Paced Adventure

living in Denver without having to find housing and company culture for interns

would like to do more day to day activities to know what full time would be like

If you like a fast paced work enviornment that challenges you then Dish is the place. Dish will provide the resources but you have to be willing to work hard and be a go getter. You cannot be shy and have to be prepaired for anything.

Learned a lot.

A lot of exposure to high-level individuals within the company. A very horizontal organization which they demonstrated well during the internship. Exposure to different parts of the business.

The corporate culture was not a good fit for me.

A very strong culture, but if you can embrace it, there is a lot of opportunity.

Advice to Management

Vacation time.

Surrounded by "B" player MBA interns

Big brand name, industry buzz. They really make an effort to show interns the entire business in a short time.

Joe Clayton's (CEO) repeated efforts to remind the interns that he was the smartest and hardest-working individual on Earth. He actually said "Nobody in this room can out think me; and nobody in this room can out work me."

The internship is a good experience and the company is bearable. There were a lot of "B" players in the MBA intern group. If you're in this group, DISH may be a win for you.

Advice to Management

DISH's internship offer was 30% lower than another offer I received and on the cusp of laughable. The M&A buzz got my attention and allowed me to look past the nearly insulting comp. I have gathered that your full time offers aren't anything to write home about either (100k, no signing bonus, hard line on 2 weeks PTO). It is entirely unbelievable that you are really looking for the best and brightest.