DISH Summer Internship - MBA

4.0 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 20 Intern Reviews)

Awesome experience at an awesome location

Culture: Pride, Adventure, Winning

Manager/Mentor Interaction

Ask thorough/specific questions. Details of activities tend to be left out.

Advice to Management

For direct managers: have more interaction with your interns.

Summer Intern receives valuable experience while helping to solve real business problems
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project was meaningful and challenging. Dish also goes out of its way to make interns feel welcome. As part of the program, students interact regularly with the CEO and various high-level executives. They also schedule a 14-er mountain hike and a Colorado Rockies baseball game.

I enjoyed every aspect of my internship.

Dish is an evolving business that will change as it enters the wireless space within the next two to three years. Not many other internships will be able to offer the experience of helping a large company navigate this new terrain.

Standard behavioral questions.

Advice to Management

The pay is about a thousand dollars a month less than other high-level MBA internships.

An incredible lifetime opportunity to work for a company that is evolving the media industry, working a wonderful state.
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking opportunities. Hands on experience in the digital business.

MBA class of 24 interns, living all in the same place.

Culture varies among departments. You need to experience working life to know your best fit.

I would highly recommend DISH. Be ready for the changes and pressure. Be courageous to overcome the challenges and grow as a person during the summer. You find you own success. Start early, you will run out of time very quickly. Do not forget you are in Colorado, you will love it, you will come back!

Technical survey. Lot of high-tech questions.

Advice to Management

Promotion needs to be better address. Not clear visibility of career progression in the organization.

Learn the innerworkings of company to assessing past marketing executions and presenting to top level executives
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The vast majority of the undergrad, legal, and MBA interns were provided housing in the same building (an extended stay hotel). As a direct result of our living arrangements, we all became fast friends and will likely remain friends long after the internship ends.

I became aware of many ethically and legally questionable practices at the company. I witnessed practices ranging from offensive remarks by the CEO to factually incorrect statements by door-to-door salesment.

There is very high turn-over. If the candidate is looking to work for a single company for the next 5, 10, or 15 years, DISH is not the place for him. Instead, if a candidate is willing to work for and learn about a company for 1-3 years, and then make another jump, DISH can act as a good springboard.

How would you feel about working for one of the most hated companies in the US?

Will you be willing to move to Denver full-time?

Advice to Management

Better organization of information and cross-functional communication would greatly improve the processes within the company.

Livin' the PAW - Pride, Adventure, Winning
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

qualify of the project, exposure to all executives including the CEO Joe Clayton, and Chairman Charlie Ergen, many networking events and opportunities to meet and interact with managers and directors of other organizations within the company

pay isn't quite as competitive as at other top internships, rush hour commute

I did not take advantage of the housing option provided by DISH but highly suggest that one take that option

Great all-around internship.
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Visibility and access to highest level execs, across all departments. Intern projects highly valued by DISH. Great program, structured so that interns learn about all aspects of DISH, not just their department.

Sometimes encounter red-tape when it comes to get things you need to achieve highest level of producivity (e.g., access, data, etc.).

High level of mobility across departments within the company. DISH is making significant efforts to focus on employees.

A lot of exposure and responsibilities
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great and real projects, robust internship program, coworkers are honest about what's good and bad about the company, intern requests for data/info are supposed to be prioritized, can schedule chats with just about anybody, a lot of young people who are smart and ambitious

A lot of politics, HR not the most organized, company unsure of how to deal with MBA talent but work in progress, CEO says polarizing things that could offend a lot of people and worries you if that's just him or what the company also stands for, retention can be hard so you never know if people will still be around by the time you come back

Talk to as many people as possible to get a range of differing opinions, make sure you get along with your manager

Why Dish

Why Denver

Why telecom

Why _department_

Advice to Management

Have to get better at hiring top talent and keeping them, shouldn't be hiring from only non-coastal schools.

Great real-world project and access to executives within a very traditional corporate cuture
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real-world project impacting their business

Great access to senior leadership and all aspects of the business

Flexibility to guide and scope the project

Siloed culture made some work difficult to accomplish

Formal and traditional culture makes me question full-time employment

Great place for access and ability to gain access

Understand the culture and determine if it will be a good fit long-term

How do you watch TV?

What are your thoughts on the trajectory of the industry?

Advice to Management

Better compensation and more flexibility

I learned a great deal.
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to learn while doing.

I felt that I should have been paid more.

If you are a self-starter and don't need much guidance, this is a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

The badge in-out of the building via automated turnstile is totally un-necessary and undermining.

Hike to the top with Dish. Learn about the culture, do a relevant project and have fun along the way.
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Big intern class, so you can talk to many different people in your same situation and get to learn about their projects.Projects are also relevant to the organization and made to make a quick impact.

The company seems a little unorganized at times. It grew too fast, so there's no process in most things. You have to go with it and figure it out as you go.

Make sure you learn about the culture and if it fits you.

Regular Questions. What did you do before, tell me about a time you faced a problem and how you solved it, what do you like to do, where would you like to work at Dish, etc.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)