DISH Summer Internship - Undergrad and Masters

Intern at DISH Summer Internship - Undergrad and Masters? Log in to Submit a Review

adventurous and great learning experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

the intern events like DISH uplink visit center and hiking

nothing really. Everything was better then I expected.

be yourself and don't hold back on your thoughts, show you passion

An experience to meet and work with highly skilled senior management, along with taking on full responsibilities of a full-time employee.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Location, great co-workers and an overall feeling that you and your work are valued.

Some of the required trips were dull, but still important.

Remember the principles that DISH was built on, where they are going, and where you see yourself in this massive company.

Advice to Management

Slightly better pay would have been great, but that's my only issue.

Internship a success after final presentation was pitched
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the exposure to upper level management and the trust they gave me to work on important projects

I enjoyed just about every aspect of the internship

Continue to recruit at Vanderbilt as there are not many businesses that recruit on campus.

Advice to Management

Perhaps implement a designated shadow day where you are "forced" to look at two other departments

Get Real Work Experience at An Exciting Company in A City Full of Adventure!

Work content and Denver

It could have been bad if you got a project you didn't like

DISH is full of opportunities and is somewhere where you can take your career into your own hands. This company is always striving for excellence and welcomes and recognizes hardworking, innovative employees.

Advice to Management

At least for the internship program, better overtime hours. And better benefits is always more appealing.

Excellent experience, great intern culture, live in a hotel all summer, real opportunity to make a difference.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Present findings to senior level executives.
- Real commitment to intern success - doors are open to you at the highest level.
- Real effort to let the interns network and there is a great social scene.

- There is almost too much freedom to do anything related to your project - if you can't motivate yourself to dig for answers, you will be left behind and will feel wasted. A lot of interns found that they hadn't really accomplished much by the end because they were waiting for someone to say "do this".

This internship is not the highest paying one around. However, you will get the following perks:
- Great housing option (live in a hotel for three months! - free DISH TV package of course)
- Access to senior level executives.
- You really determine your workload - you can really do very little or you can bust your butt - up to you.
- You will not be working more than 50-55 hours... ever. This is not the same for full time employees.
- On your resume you can say "presented these findings to CEO, CFO, COO, etc." HUGE benefit.
- DISH has weird rules that limit productivity..
- Red tape limits your internet access, ability to leave the building to work offsite (at a factory, client, or supplier), and you even have limits on your email capacity. Don't underestimate these petty frustrations which don't exist at some other companies.

Advice to Management

DISH has chosen not to be the highest paying company around. They also experience high turnover rates. Whether or not pay is the root cause of that is up to the individual to interpret. However, if the company chooses to pay less, one possible way to retain employees might be to empower them.

A good employee is not going to waste DISH time on the internet, excessively use social networking at work, or leave the building for no reason. A bad one will. Why not assume your employees are good until proven otherwise? I'm much happier and more productive with less pay and more freedom than I am with having to work around red tape even with a fat payday. That said, great employees will not let these obstacles stop them and they are not excessively severe at DISH to the point where they become unmanageable.

Intern Launches New Company Wide Initative

-Access to senior leadership
-Mentoring program
-Ability to engage in important, visible projects
-Location!
-Housing

-Long interview process
-Compensation on the low side

It was an excellent internship program.

Advice to Management

More competitive compensation and a more relaxed culture/atmosphere

Dish Network is the best place to intern BY FAR
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture is great, pay was the best of any of my other options, they take you on a 14er hike, give you more responsibility than anywhere leading to more experience than anyone else, projects that matter, exposure to executives daily, very supportive

The application process was frustrating because I would go without hearing anything for weeks at a time

Do yourself a favor and try everything you can to work here

Advice to Management

Keep candidates informed of their status in the hiring process, I almost took another offer because I was unsure where I stood

A unique opportunity to gain real life work experience with competitive pay
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship program, the interns I worked with, my mentors and colleagues I worked with, the ability to be able to do meaningful work instead of unimportant minimal tasks.

At times there was a lack of communication and explanations

It is a great internship that will give a lot of hands on experience doing work within your area of study and on top of that you get to go through this experience with 50 other interns

Advice to Management

More guidance from managers about what specifically they are looking for in the intern project

Great Work, Great People, Great Summer
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

other interns, mentor/manager relationships, company commitment to interns and internship program, access to executives, access to resources, ability to explore all departments

They place you in a department. In my case, this department did not correlate with my area of study. It worked out for me, but I could see this as a potential problem for others.

take advantage of the housing option (even if you live in Denver)- you will make substantially more friends and connections if you do
do not be intimidated by the significance of your project

The internship offered you as much experience as you wanted, as long as you were willing to ask and work outside of your comfort zone.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given many tasks that were outside of my overall internship project. This allowed me to feel like a real part of the staff and gain real world experience working outside of the department.

The internship was rather clique based and the interview process was very drawn out.

Do not sell yourself short; you have just as much chance as the next person of being selected, as long as you know why you are different. Ask for extra projects, and have fun.

Advice to Management

The badge system seems a little excessive. In addition, the overall employee satisfaction seems very negative; the employees constantly complained about the badge system, as well as the poor raises and benefits. The inflexibility of the policies seemed to wear down on everyone.