DISH Corporate Internships – Undergraduate

Best Experience of my Life

The best aspects were getting to see what it is like working in the real world at corporate headquarters. Also, the great people I have met have made the experience even better.

I don't like that we did not have any vacation days. Even one would have been nice incase something came up.

It is a great work environment here, especially for the younger crowd. It is definitely a fun culture at DISH.

Pride, Adventure, Winning: DISH Internship is a Summer for the Books

The internship program was not only a great learning experience and career developer, but it also provided for a very fun and exciting summer. There were roughly 60 interns and most were not from Denver, so we all stayed in an extended-stay hotel for the summer. The group of people was extremely outgoing and we really took advantage of all that Colorado has to offer. The University Relations department was extrememely enthusiastic about the intern program and had constant communication with us to make sure we were all headed in the right direction throughout the summer. They planned many activities for us including a 14er and a Rockies game. We also had quality face-time with many of the executives during our "Brown Bag Lunches" and the CEO, Charlie Ergen, even joined us on our 14er. Each intern was also put with a manager and given a mentor to reach out to with other questions as well. Having a solid support system really made me feel comfortable with my project and role in my department throughout the summer.

Interns are selected based on their personality (ideal traits: pride, adventure, winning), and not necessarily for a specific department. This means that many may be placed in a department that they have no interest in working in upon graduation. However, everyone has the opportunity to interview with other departments during the summer in order to be considered for a full-time offer in a department they did not intern for.

This is a great internship for anyone who is outgoing and not afraid to step outside of their comfort zone. Life at DISH is very fast-paced and may not be for everyone, but for the right person it is a great place to work. DISH is focusing a great deal of energy on employee satisfaction, so it is an ideal time to begin working for this company.

Advice to Management

DISH doesn't encourage enough of a work/life balance. Many employees in my department (marketing) are there for 10+ hours a day and I've heard people say they get dirty looks for taking a lunch break.

Improving the processes within Dish Network

Exposure to top execs including the CEO, founder/chairman, VPs. Your findings and recommendations affect the company.

The compensation is a little low.

Dish gets a bad reputation for being the "worst place to work", but that's in the call centers and with the install techs. Working in corporate is really nice, and anyone has the power to make a big difference in the company.

Advice to Management

Pay needs to be increased.

Date: 2013

An amazing, challenging job that changed my life!

The mentor and manager relationships that you were set up with led to ultimate success. Great relationships.

The length of the internship. I would have liked a little more time at home before the start but I did have a month.

It's a great place to work if you want to be challenged and Colorado is amazing!!

Date: 2013

DISH interns are trained for excellence.

Executive exposure and the willingness of everyone to help you and treach you valuable lessons about your career path.

It's slightly too long of a program.

You have a lot of autonomy, so you need to be very effective at pacing your work and staying on task. This is fantastic if you like to have a lot of control over the work you do and if you feel confident that you can acheive excellent results, but remember, just because you aren't micromanaged doesn't mean you aren't responsible for your work.

Advice to Management

Shorten the program to 8 weeks.

Date: 2013

Real work with real responsibility

Being given the freedom to make an impact

Inaccessability to certain data

Dish is a great place for a young professional starting out. There is a lot of room for movement within the organization.

Advice to Management

Possibly put in place more effective ways for measuring marketing tactics

Date: 2013

A great all around experience.

The best aspect of the internship was the ability to work freely on your project. Also that there are 60 other interns with you that live in the same hotel. There is never a dull moment.

I have no complaints honestly. Perhaps that it was a little too long.

Dish has a bad reputation as an employer based on its call centers. Working in their corporate headquarters though was a great experience.

Date: 2013

I learned more with hands-on experience than I ever have in the classroom.

One aspect of the internship I enjoyed was the close relationships that I forged with the other interns. I liked working on a project that made a real impact on the company.

I do not like having to rely so heavily on my manager to accomplish new tasks.

I would advise interns to come prepared to work hard at DISH. The internship is fun, but you have to come with an open mind and work to reason through problems.

Advice to Management

I think it would be benifical to give interns more training. I felt so overwelmed for the first few days because I was unable to grasp most of the terminology. I think it would be benificial to give interns training sessions in their own department.

Date: 2013

The opportunities are there, but it is up to the individual intern what he or she will do with them.

Exposure to C-suite management, including casual conversation with the CEO Intern housing at the Staybridge Relationship between intern, mentor, and manager Networking opportunities Spending a summer in Denver area Opportunity to explore other departments for full-time

Little flexibility in pay rate

The feel at Dish is that anybody can make a difference if you are willing to put in the work.

Advice to Management

Allow more room for negotiations when making offers.

Date: 2013

DISH provides great business learning opportunity, tons of executive exposure, and a fun summer!

Networking opportunities with executives, mentorship, off-site intern activities, and housing

Length of the internship- should be 9-10 weeks rather than 11

DISH is fast moving and you will receive a lot of responsibility early on

Advice to Management

Better compensation and benefits