DISH Summer Internship - Undergrad and Masters

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Media & Telecommunications Internships

A place to make your career an adventure.
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got a very good project and a good team to work with. The University relations did a very good job in engaging the interns. The outdoor activities planned during the internship were very good.

Did not have any bad experience.

It is a very good organization to work with. The projects are real time and mutually beneficial. Nice goodies throughout the internship and loads of outdoor activities.

Behavioral questions, aptitude tests.

Place to make your career an adventure

Internship project, Outdoor activities

I had no bad experiences

Be adventurous. Expect a totally busy summer. If in IT learn some programming languages as there are lot of opportunities.

Behavioral questions.

Lot of aptitude tests.

Advice to Management

None

A job at DISH ensures that you will be making big changes.
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1) The University Relations team that provides the structure and sets up events for the interns.

2) The teams you are put on are driven people who want you to succeed.

3) The atmosphere at Dish is inviting and motivating.

4) Consistent face time with executives and even the CEO.

1) DishOne Shadowing: followed door knockers around for the day.

I would advise anyone who is motivated to work for a company that is willing to give interns projects that have real-world impact on the business to apply. I couldn't have asked for a better internship or a better company to work for.

1) Name a time you worked on a team and had a bad experience.

2) Why are you driven to succeed?

An Unforgettable Summer
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

[WORK] To start off, I had an extremely supportive team. My mentor and manager were always available for help, even outside working hours when I needed last-minute help on my presentation. Project-wise, I got more responsibilities than I imagined. The complexity of my project was outstanding and challenged me like never before. Despite some long hours, I found it rewarding and beneficial for personal growth. I also gained great exposure to higher-level leadership: how great of a feeling is it when you walk up the stairs, see the CEO, say hi to him and he remembers your name and school?

DISH also did a wonderful job at exposing us to the operations and ideals as a whole. I was never confined to only what I was working on or whom I was working with, but developed a holistic understanding of the DISH business by having coffee chats and lunches with other departments. The whole experience was very enriching.

[LOCATION] Denver is such a fun city and you will never be bored. Every weekend I went out with other interns for different adventures, such as 14er hikes and whitewater rafting. The breathtaking scenery and the activeness can really help you stay healthy (while having tons of fun rather than being stuck in a gym) and de-stress.

[PEOPLE] This is my favorite part about the internship: I feel so lucky to have met every one of the colleagues and interns, and to spend an unforgettable 10-week adventure with them. My entire department consisted of the most supportive and caring people I've worked with, which made saying goodbye so difficult and emotional in the end.

Most interns chose to stay in company-provided housing, so hanging out with each other everyday helped us develop strong bonds. You'll make wonderful, bright, and possibly life-time friends here.

This is more of a suggestion than a con: DISH may not work for you if you see no reward in challenging work and you dislike risk-taking. So yes, although cliched, the cultural fit is important. You might not be happy here if you don't click with the PAW (Pride, Adventure, Winning).

Enjoy what you do and/or who you are working with. If not, maybe it's time to look for another place.

Learned more in 3 Months at DISH than in 3 years of Business School
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having real responsibility and value to the company. Spearheaded innovative programs that will have a long term impact on the business.

Sometimes felt like they were trying to sell the company to me as a good place to work. More interested in seeing how exactly the business operates.

This is a unique internship, giving you access to executive leadership on nearly a daily basis. Interns are given real authority and their summer projects have a real effect on the business as a whole. You will be working on something innovative and new. Is an especially great program for people not from Colorado. However, only do this internship if you're willing to work hard and get out of your comfort zone, you will have many experiences you've never had before during this internship. DISH is a unique company, and I can not recommend the internship enough.

DISH hires based on three categories: intelligence, energy, and need for achievement. How do you exemplify these?

Advice to Management

Reduce discrepancy between how interns are treated (incredibly well) and how actual employees are treated (average)

DISH Adventure
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with the software development team, Support from Manager and Mentor, intern activities, Intern 14er Hike, Support from HR and University Relations Team.

Duration of the Internship could have been longer for students who can intern longer.

Real world project, flexibility in changing project if a candidate wishes to, support from department, support from University relations and HR.

The most fun and rewarding experience I have had.
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interaction with employees and living with all the interns.

The DISH One experience. It should possibly be a half-day.

The horizontal structure of the organization and how you can try new things or departments.

A lot of behavioral questions.

Advice to Management

N/A

Gain company exposure with a meaningful project
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns were given a lot of responsibility, we gained a lot of exposure to executives and different departments, we lived in Denver, and we had a lot of social activities.

Intern salary is lower than comparable internships.

Dish looks for people who are very adventurous and results-oriented, so make sure you are willing to go outside of your comfort zone and work hard.

Advice to Management

I would suggest increasing the salary as it is one of the main ways college students compare the quality of an internship.

PAW - Pride, Winning, Adventure
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of responsibility I was given

I had several late hours and a lot of onboarding to do since I was new to the industry

Great internship, really prepared me for what a potential career would be there

Pride Adventure Winning
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

a lot of responsibility was put on the interns shoulders

had to travel far from home

only work here if you want to work hard and get constructive feedback; you will not be babied

questions are geared towards understanding candidates intelligence, energy, and attitude