AT&T Leadership Development Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Media & Telecommunications Internships

Comprehensive overview of the company tied to great opportunities to create relationships
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed meeting the people that make up AT&T and hearing their stories. It was also interesting to listen to upper level executives discuss strategy and the future of AT&T.

I would have liked a formal introduction to the city of Dallas.

Don't become overwhelmed by the size of the company. Focus on learning one small aspect initially and take on new aspects of the company each week. Over the 10-12 weeks of your internship you will begin to see how the massive company has a defined strategy and how the different organizations are connected.

An experience that will leave you with forward looking thoughts about your personal brand, leadership style and the difference you can make

1. Open work culture- welcomes change and new ideas

2. Exposure to new technologies and flexibility to implement ideas

3. You can define what you want to be

4. Excellent peer interns who challenge you at every go

Some of the events are combined with undergrads and that can be distracting sometimes

If you want to be in the telecommunications industry and experience the latest changes the industry is going through, AT&T offers all the training and resources to equip yourself to the change

Behavioral interview. Know your background well and know the organization even better.

Advice to Management

Compensation can be bumped up for MBA interns

An amazing opportunity that granted me responsibilities and experiences that an average internship would never provide.
Irving, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Worked with a great team and had important responsibilities on an important project.

There are no clear cons that cross my mind at this moment.

Just maximize your experience by learning about the company as well as the program itself so that when the time comes to decide whether or not to accept your offer you can make an informed decision.

I've had a blast! Learned a ton and have become excited about this company and its outlook.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to the business, leaders and industry growth. The compensation was exceptional and work life balance was enforced.

Took a few weeks to really get into a groove. May have been due to the size of the origanization as it takes time to get momemtum when things are so grand in scale.

Know yourself. Be honest about your ability to go into general management and be content with your career choices. While there are a ton of opportunities at AT&T, they're not all exciting and sexy.

Talk about your leadership style in the past and how you lead now.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direct your moving in. Work on branding AT&T as "more than a phone company. This company is becoming more and more appealing to younger talent.

Numerous learning opportunities in a very interesting, forward thinking company.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people in the program were incredible, from the team I worked in to the other interns in the LDP program.

The pay is not competitive compared to other tech companies.

Speak to as many current LDPs to get a good understanding of the different positions available and the culture.

Advice to Management

Compensation is not competitive at all compared to other tech companies,especially if AT&T is trying to compete for top talent who are also looking at companies like Google or Apple.

Full access to AT&T with business learning opportunities
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Full access to the company and what it has to offer.

The face time with actual people, I like that so much can be done remotely, however most of the information I gathered happened over chats and email.

Determine what team you will be working with and if it is a good fit with you.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the intern in your department. At times it was very difficult to gain the attention of people who you report to, hard to set meeting times and when we did meet they did not seem engaged in the conservation.

Great in depth learning experience about the company and industry and future of AT&T
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience, exposure to executives, knowledge of industry and competitors, future direction of company

the pay was not amazing

If you hvae any interest in working for a telecommunications company, specifically AT&T, this is a great way to see if you like the industry and if you are a good fit. They give you many opportunities to see what life would be like as a full time employee

Behavior Based mainly, some questions to see if you knew anything about AT&T, but very basic.

Advice to Management

More competitive pay

Redefining the customer - providing excellent support to front-line sales staff through innovation and empathy.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent opportunity to create, develop and promote positive change within the organization.

Compensation left just a bit to be desired.

AT&T is primed for growth and truly looking for passionate, creative personnel with strong leadership capabilities. It ain't just Ma Bell anymore - this company knows where it's going and how it's getting there.

12-week opportunity to explore the fit between you and the organization
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The quality of the people in the internship class.

The access to executive leadership.

The willingness of other full-time employees to take time out of his or her day to speak with us.

The number of events planned by the LDP program.

The number of organic events that our internship class created.

The "extracurricular activities" our internship class organized on nights and weekends.

Not all projects were created equal which really made it difficult to compare experiences and get everyone together. Some had very light projects that gave them a lot of free time while others worked around the clock to complete their primary project.

10-12 weeks gives you plenty of time to connect with employees in different parts of the organization so that you can make a well-educated decision on whether or not to return next year. The people are extremely approachable, and the transparency they give you regarding the realities of the organization is priceless. If someone is looking for a large organization that allows you the flexibility to work across functional areas (marketing, strategy, operations, finance, etc.) and/or business units (consumer, B2B, wireless, wireline, etc.) , AT&T is the perfect landing spot.

If someone stood up to reflect on you during your retirement party, what would they say about you?

Are you flexible to relocate?

Who are your role models?

Advice to Management

Make employment offers competitive with what is being earned at Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. AT&T compares itself to these organizations, so it is only reasonable to assume that any offer received from AT&T would be comparable to these other companies.

Everything I hoped an MBA internship would be
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team was incredibly supportive and helpful. They understood how to manage an intern and gave me meaningful work for the summer as well as autonomy to take the projects in the direction that I saw fit.

It would have been great if we could have had an early orientation to T University. There are some great resources on there that would have been helpful during the course of the internship that I discovered too late.

Take the time to set up lunches/coffees with full time employees and learn from them. People are incredible nice at AT&T and are always willing to take the time to explore an issue or topic with you.

Advice to Management

For the LDP internship program, managers should be co-located with their interns. This should be a mandatory requirement. It helps the intern have a better and more fulfilling summer experience,and also lends itself to a more accurate assessment of their work.