Intern at AT&T Leadership Development Program Internship? Submit a Review

The opportunity to learn lifelong personal and professional skills

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to leadership, projects, and software that I will always remember and helped shape my development personally and professionally.

I am an LDP intern and I dont feel like I get many different advantages between being an LDP (MBA) or the other Summer Interns who are undergrads. Its been great to meet undergrads, and my quality and level of projects is on par for a MBA student, but I wish there were more personal development opportunities specific to the LDP internship.

I wish I would have known how varied the experiences can be depending on where you work for the summer and which team you are placed in. I have thoroughly loved and enjoyed my summer, but I think its because of my direct supervisor and teammates who are committed to my growth and make me feel empowered to take on important projects that I enjoy.

Advice to Management

I think the culture is really great here at AT&T. I would just recommend altering the LDP internship slightly to be more LDP-focused and give these MBA students specific training or opportunities that other interns do not get. Also, this opportunity feeds into the full time LDP program, which would be in a completely different team than where the intern spends the summer. This can arguably be a great thing because the interns get more experience, but its tough to really evaluate company-wide culture or initiatives for the long-term when you are only seeing a small part. Overall I have loved my summer and these are just minor suggestions.

An opportunity to work with an innovative team and understand the core aspects of the business.

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship is working with my team. I am blessed to work with a great leader who is a wonderful mentor and has trusted me with great responsibilities. I am thrilled to be learning a lot and critically thinking in every aspect of my job.

I believe the internship can be a bit more organized, especially in the first weeks. I also think the program should provide interns with a mentor.

Based on my experience, I think a candidate evaluating this program should be mindful that it will be a huge learning curve. You will need to be assertive and proactive in getting the information that you need to be successful. I would have like to have a campus map. That would have helped me navigate a bit better.

Open access to one of the world's top companies, an opportunity to make it what you want it to be

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Not feeling as an intern. Immediate respect and work provided as if a full-time member of the team.

Since they program pushed use of an intern app, I expected there to be more supplemental events/webinars/meet and greets, etc

The internal ladder - how AT&T encourages employees to take roles outside of their core interests or previous educational topics.

Advice to Management

Cross-collaboration - the teams feel very siloed.

Time you failed, time you succeeded, what you would tell someone tasked to work with you prior to starting

Game Changer

Dallas, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was fortunate to work with a team that treated me like a full member of the team from day one, I was given lots of mentorship opportunities and the quality of work I was exposed to was phenomenal. Working on playbooks, and being privy to the next steps a huge corporation like ATT is going to take is dizzying. The opportunities to build relationships is great and access to Officers who are willing to explain the rationale behind every major decision playing out in the public is also great.

No adequate preparation to welcome interns to what is supposed to be a "premier" program. Things like getting through security to parking was left to the wind.

You have to take personal ownership for your internship, if you're not proactive you'll definitely not be successful in AT&T. For the roles, interns typically get assigned you cant study for them. Be comfortable with ambiguity and being the least knowledgeable person in the room, ask questions a lot!!

Advice to Management

Compensation needs to be competitive with current market.

An excellent opportunity to be on the cutting edge of communications, technology, and big data

Plano, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with teams that are changing the way businesses gather, analyze and distribute data.
How client needs are identified and translated into solutions with the collaboration of many different teams scattered throughout the world
Learning how projects flow through a development pipeline.
Seeing how products or services gain life and ultimately move on to function in the real world
Interacting with engineers who are actively creating new technology concepts for use in every type of industry
Networking with teammates in multiple different areas of the company
Learning the language of communication and big data
Open meetings with high-level leaders within and outside of the company

Lack of effective orientation
Having to clock in and out like a shift worker
Ambiguity about final presentation
Short length of internship
Lack of updated, consolidated information to facilitate quick learning and understand of complex topics, products, and services

Get detailed instruction on how to use MyTime
Expect to work in an open-office environment
Expect to be overwhelmed with the amount of information you must understand to perform duties
Expect to learn new vocabulary of a typical communications/technology company

Advice to Management

Streamline orientation process in order to maximize value of short internship
Consolidate and update educational resources in order to expedite mastery of knowledge required to perform job functions

Why AT&T?
Tell us of a time you had an issue with a colleague. How did you handle it?
Are you willing to relocate?
How does your background fit in with your potential career field?

Amazing learning opportunity in a constantly changing environment

Atlanta, GA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Atmosphere of learning, projects that are challenging but deliverable.

Much of the communication was via teleconference, and a lot of networking opportunities lost with this.

Research the department as much as possible before arrival.

Advice to Management

If internships are to be offered in multiple cities, events should also be coordinated in all cities. This should not be restricted to headquarters.

What makes you a leader?

Come for the experience, leave for external factors

Dallas, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project was a good challenge, very open-ended, easy enough that I could finish early. Commanded setting up cross-functional teams. My immediate team was awesome, the other LDP interns were great.

We were told we'd have networking sessions and events, but we haven't had any. We haven't done anything that we as interns didn't come up with ourselves. It's been really disappointing to see how little the LDP program has done for us when it comes to extra activities in and around the city. No trips to AT&T stadium, Six Flags, restaurants, networking events, nothing. This isn't ALL an internship is about, but when you want to be competitive, these are the things you're judged on, and AT&T has failed at that. And not having intern parking is abysmal.

I wasn't told anything about what the full-time role would look like until two weeks into the internship, but a lot of interns in my class were told exactly what would happen.

Advice to Management

Parking issues, taking a huge tax chunk out of the relocation fee which was already pretty small to begin with.

Nothing out of the ordinary.
"Tell me about a time you dealt with conflict, why do you want to work here, describe your leadership style," etc

MBA candidate completes prestigious internship program--says it was okay

Plano, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of opportunity to learn new skills

Work was not strongly correlated with what my degree is focused on

Don't be swayed to accept this internship because it is a prestigious internship program. Think about what kind of company you want to work for after you graduate and choose your internship accordingly.

Technical learning experience

Pay + bonus
Exposure to senior leadership
Diversity of leadership and thought

There was no formal training or departmental overview.
The LDP leads did not provide any information on what the interns' final presentation for an offer would consists of.
Very hierarchical and a lot of corporate bureaucracy.
There were no formal LDP events, or company tours to AT&T Stadium or Foundry.

You will be placed in a very unfamiliar department, or team, and doing work that is related very minimal to your previous experiences.

Advice to Management

Training
More structure and consistency throughout departments.

What would you tell your employees if two of AT&T competitors were approved for a merger?

This will provide a great window into the company and challenge you to learn a few new skills

- hours are good
- 2 days of PTO provided
- signing bonus that helped with re-location for summer
- paid
- ability to reach out and connect with different business lines

- disorganized
- information not presented in a timely manner

Your experience will largely depend on your manager and their team. There are many interns in the cohort, but there isn't a cohesive experience, so you may get a lot of interesting and challenging work with great opportunities to build relationships or you may have very little to do at all...or anywhere in between.

Advice to Management

Among my peers and employees I've spoken with, there is a common thread of discontent with the instability of placement. The company's stance of "you have to be willing to relocate multiple times if you want to be successful" isn't conducive to maintaining a work/life balance. I believe this will have a damaging effect on retaining talent.

- "tell me about a time you used innovation to solve a problem"
- "tell me about a time you navigated an ethical dilemma at work"