Intern at AT*T Leadership Development Program Internship? Submit a Review

An old dog can learn new tricks, and create successful businesses in the process

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interaction with my team; specific, but challenging project; opportunity to network with leaders

In an office separate from downtown, so focused on my particular group more than big picture.

Evaluate short vs. long-term priorities and plan accordingly. If you are looking for ways to grow and develop, this is an excellent place to get plenty of support, while still being encouraged to try new things and grow.

Understanding the data and analytics behind managing extremely large organizations with employee metrics.

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning a new skill (data visualization in front end web development); getting to know the AT&T culture; meeting people from across different parts of the business (big data, mobility, intellectual property, Cricket). I was paired with another LDP intern on all of my projects and found this to be a huge advantage of my internship. I would highly recommend interns e placed in small groups together.

I felt the internship could have focused more on MBA related work and skills. It seemed that my director did not know the difference between the LDP and TDP interns. My direct supervisor understood so this was not a huge issue.

Understand the geographic commitment of working for AT&T, especially as an LDP. During the internship, meet as many people as possible and be proactive.

Advice to Management

Better family leave policy; make sure that employees understand the metrics by which they are judged and listen to their concerns. They have to feel that the metrics are fair.

Walk me through your resume; tell me about a time you built a team; tell me about a time you exercised leadership; how would your siblings describe you.

Learning political challenges regardless of industry/function/organization

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to connect with people across all different parts of the organization and at many different places within their career.

I worked on a very secluded/isolated team with a lot of political challenges which made the internship a different type of learning experience than I was hoping for or expected.

If you run into trouble or something doesn't feel right reach out to your recruiter as early and as directly as you can.

Advice to Management

Be more intentional in placement to make sure that teams are prepared for interns. Verify communication and follow through on what the process of hosting an internship should include.

Break it down for me

great work-life balance
i had full autonomy on my projects
team and colleagues were extremely helpful and friendly

there weren't any networking sessions built into the program for the Atlanta interns- networking was slightly difficult

the ldp internship is meant to give you a taste of an area of your interest. you will have the potential to learn a lot about not only your summer team but also AT&T as a whole... but the summer will be what you make it. The more you learn, the more fun your summer.

Advice to Management

better communication to interns and the interns' managers

Tell me about a time you had to influence people on another team
Resume walk
Tell me about a time you felt you didn't have the skills needed to complete a task

An exercise in initiating and driving change, by building strong relationships across the organization.

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to cutting edge communications/entertainment technology, comfortable hours, personal development opportunities, networking opportunities, a possible trip to Dallas.

Vast organization with a very vertical structure which can lead to difficulty in moving forward a project/plan/strategy.

The internship is a proving ground for one's ability to take initiative. Do not expect a well sculpted project, but instead look at the internship as an opportunity to find whitespace, solve problems, and network.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire selectively as the organization transforms into a technology/entertainment company rather than a telecom company. This means that the company will also need to become more competitive with their compensation.

How would you position, promote, place the GigaPower product.

Broken communication processes + unnecessarily large egos = toxic work environment

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

- The brochure was nice...
- Friendly and helpful teammates that aren't in your reporting chain.
- Opportunities to visit and network outside of your immediate business unit.

- Lack of communication at all levels.
- Toxic work environment caused by insecure managers.
- Being given only busy work or ambiguous tasks with no direction or resources to accomplish them.
- Condescendingly being told things you learned in High School.
- Being treated like you are in High School.
- Having nearly all your input discounted because it's not how things are done there... Then sitting in on meetings where your supervisor regurgitates almost verbatim the input you gave just days ago.

Great for your resume, terrible for your soul...
The LDP internship looks amazing on paper, don't be fooled though, this is still very much your grandparents' company. You'll be sold on the new work spaces, the innovative activities, and collaborative teams but the truth is, none of it matters, it's just a shiny new coat of paint on the same frustrating culture of old.
I applaud the vision but it'll be decades before it's a reality. Don't say you weren't warned.

Advice to Management

- Take out the garbage. While job security is important, it's no excuse for keeping around employees who put more effort into bringing everyone else down than into making the company better. This was the most toxic work experience I've ever had... and I used to work for the federal government. Let that sink in for a minute.
- Do a better job of screening LDP intern projects. There were very few interns who had appropriately challenging projects--most were either ridiculously boring or hopelessly impossible.
- Ensure the right manager is appointed over interns. There was at least one who cared more about using her intern as a scapegoat/punching bag than teaching him anything useful about the company.
- Your compensation package is non-competitive. Increase base salary offers by at least $15K. You can keep kidding yourselves by claiming your non-monetary perks make up for low salary but the fact remains that you're enticing mostly those that are risk/change averse and are looking for a "safe" place to do only enough not to get fired. This obviously presents a systemic problem given the transitionary phase your company is in.
- There's an obvious bottleneck at each management level and you're loosing top talent to competition. Again, those that stay were either lucky enough to have an advocate who promoted them directly, or they are risk/change averse.

Almost exclusively behavioral. Just talk about leadership experience and how proactive you are.

Disappointing Experience - AT&T Can Do Better

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a dedicated mentor who was absolutely fantastic and there were ample networking opportunities.

My supervisor was not engaged and was out of the office for over half of the summer. I was also given a project that had already been completed so it was difficult to make an impactful contribution. Furthermore, some of my co-workers were uncooperative and refused to give me information when I asked for it.

Make sure you research your department before you join. The people you work with will make or break your entire experience.

Advice to Management

The LDP program needs to be better organized. Important information was often not communicated to interns until the last minute. Furthermore, all interns were not treated equally. The compensation structure varied from person to person and some interns got to work with LDP graduates (while others didn't), and I believe this gave them unfair advantage over interns who had non-LDP supervisors.

What is your greatest strength? What is your greatest weakness? Tell us about a time when your words/actions went unheard and how did you handle it?

Unchallenged, disappointed, and not related to my difficult school program.

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learned a great deal about the company

Not challenging, didn't relate to my degree, didn't help coordinate a living facility (most interns were living in unsafe accommodations); I was not evaluated on my performance, just on my ability to interview. Several interns were given offer solely based on interview skills despite performing well in project and showing up 30mins or an hour late everyday.

Go to another company that focuses on MBA related jobs. Choose an internship that will improve your skills.

Advice to Management

Have a deliberate plan for MBA interns. My director literally had no idea that I was a graduate student. He thought I was an Undergraduate IT intern. Base offer on performance, not behavioral interviews that we've already done.

Tell me about a time…...

Comprehensive overview of the company tied to great opportunities to create relationships

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed meeting the people that make up AT&T and hearing their stories. It was also interesting to listen to upper level executives discuss strategy and the future of AT&T.

I would have liked a formal introduction to the city of Dallas.

Don't become overwhelmed by the size of the company. Focus on learning one small aspect initially and take on new aspects of the company each week. Over the 10-12 weeks of your internship you will begin to see how the massive company has a defined strategy and how the different organizations are connected.

An experience that will leave you with forward looking thoughts about your personal brand, leadership style and the difference you can make

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. Open work culture- welcomes change and new ideas

2. Exposure to new technologies and flexibility to implement ideas

3. You can define what you want to be

4. Excellent peer interns who challenge you at every go

Some of the events are combined with undergrads and that can be distracting sometimes

If you want to be in the telecommunications industry and experience the latest changes the industry is going through, AT&T offers all the training and resources to equip yourself to the change

Advice to Management

Compensation can be bumped up for MBA interns

Behavioral interview. Know your background well and know the organization even better.