AT&T Finance Leadership Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Media & Telecommunications Internships  /  #43 Best Overall Internships

Small and specialized financial experience but in a large corporation
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Knowledge, experience, and enhanced financial skills relevant for any future career

Not long enough

The program truly allows you to grow personally and as an employee within the organization by setting you up with the necessary skills and network to succeed.

Impactful Financial Planning and Analysis Internship - Excellent Opportunity to learn and grow
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team I worked with was very willing to help me. I came in with little Finance experience and they were instrumental in my success within the internship.

My (temporary) desk was located far away from my team. This left me isolated at times. On the whole however; this was not a major issue as I would just walk over to the team when needed.

Be bold when reaching out to senior executives at the company. They are surprisingly willing to meet and discuss any topic you'd like. There are definitely some politics that happen at the organization and it's helpful to make the right contacts to gain information.

If you were retiring, what things would you say to your team in your retirement speech?

Describe your first interaction with a new team that you are responsible for.

Advice to Management

Seems like a great place to work! Compensation for the Finance department seems lower than what other large companies offer - perhaps this could be evaluated in the future.

Wonderful Experience, Relevant Skills Acquired
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked for, the projects I worked on, the activities set up by the program.

There was nothing that disappointed me about the internship. All my expectations were met or exceeded.

Make sure you let your enthusiasm come out. Show you are excited about the company and its success.

Great program for any person interested in a long, happy, fulfilling career in corporate finance.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentoring from direct manager. Freedom on my assigned projects. Networking opportunities with other interns, full-time FLP's, and senior execs in the company.

Salary. Although it was above average. I think the company should look to be a little more competitive in regards to pay.

Although there is hierarchy as in any large company, managers/executives were all really down to earth and super friendly and candid with the interns. The workforce love the industry and company. Almost everyone I talked with wanted to work here their entire career. Turnover is almost non-existent and people really are passionate about the work they do.

Mostly behavioral/basic interview questions. Do some research on the company and the financial statements before interviewing. Also, I would recommend listening to a couple of earnings calls to know what initiatives are being focused on and how successful they are.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be higher.

Excellent exposure to senior executives and challenging problems that stretch your creativity and intellectual prowess.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the best aspects of the internship was the opportunity to work on real meaningful projects that provided great exposure and made me grow and develop more than I hoped. Management is top notch and everyone is very accessible. The work is very stimulating and challenging.

Pay for the internship was mid to low (when compared with other students in my network). No relocation package as well made things tighter. I would also signal that sometimes there is a resistance to change.

Excellent employer whom I would highly recommend. You will get an awesome education in telecommunications as well as technology.

Advice to Management

AT&T was a phenomenal place to intern for the summer (particularly as an FLP). I felt like my supervisor was exceptional and the others on my team were very helpful and accessible. I would say that the fact that AT&T did not offer a relocation package was almost a deal-breaker for me. Students are typically cash poor and trying to move out (particularly if you have a family) without any cash (except from student debt) is an issue. The vast majority of internship offers that my fellow students received had a relocation package. Other than that, it was a great experience.

Summer of Possibilities
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The support I received from my supervisor and colleagues was amazing. Even people who didn't work on my team were very invested in my success and helped me in any way they could. My supervisor really made sure I was ready for the end-of-the-internship presentation/interview by having me practice my presentation in front of my team, the Assistant Vice President and even other departments. I learned so much during my internship that I didn't even expect. I also really liked that there were 6 other finance interns as well as about 20 general management interns that I got to know, collaborate, and form friendships with.

Nothing really.

This is a company with countless different opportunities that I believe suit pretty much anybody's professional desires. It's a large corporation but some business segments operate like start ups, therefore there is something for everyone.

• Why AT&T

• What do you like about the Finance Leadership Program?

• Tell me about a person you have worked with who had a great impact on you and who you try to be like now?

• Fast forward to your retirement. Your co-workers are throwing you a going-away part and you are supposed to hold a speech. What are you going to say?

• What do your career plans look like and what do you REALLY want to do?

Perform meaningful work in a supportive learning environment.
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great exposure to different areas of the company and its leadership.

Interview process was awkward.

AT&T's size allows employees to work in many areas of the company and develop into a well rounded professional.

Advice to Management

Policies in the finance organization have not modernized with the rest of the company. It will be difficult to retain talent if the policies do not change.

This internship will expose you to real day to day organizational challenges.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The integration into a business unit.

There is nothing that I would say I didn't like.

Have a general interest in both the company and your particular expertiense in finance. Because it is a rotation, being to specific in your interest may proove unsatisfaying.

Tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership?...overcame an challenging situation? ...ext.

Advice to Management

The particular organization I was in experienced a significant switchup of roles and responsiblities while I was there. Becauuse of this it was a little difficult to evaluate the long term results and thus am not able to accurately judge what will and will not effect the work place.

Awesome team and awesome manager

Manager and team

I liked it all

Keep your options open

Tell me about a time you had a difficult boss.

Advice to Management

Make the finance program more diverse.

Exceeded my expectations for a summer internship. I could not have asked for a better experience.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The program director did an excellent job of matching my skills to the right intern role within finance. I was able to jump right in and immediately contribute and make an impact within the organization. At the same time, I was learning a lot and developing as a person. My assignments were challenging but I was given room to be creative and come up with new ideas and ways of doing things. I left at the end of the summer feeling very proud at what I had accomplished. Some of the models I developed will be adapted and used even after I am gone. It is an incredible feeling to know that I made an impact at such a well known and innovative company.

Relocation expenses and housing were not covered as part of this internship.

This internship is not just looking for good financial analysts but for the future leaders of AT&T. So, it is not enough to just be good at the analytical side of the job. Make sure you highlight your leadership skills during the interview process. Once you begin your internship, go out of your way to network and be outgoing. Be confident and comfortable stating your ideas and opinions as well as presenting your findings.

Advice to Management

In the current company culture, a lot of people work through lunch and eat at their desks. Doing this everyday prevents people from networking and developing relationships. I would suggest sponoring some networking lunches to get people into the habit of eating lunch with their co-workers.