Exel Summer Internship Program

Memorable experience in a truly multinational company
Columbus, OH | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

People around were willing to help you

Really nothing

This is the best place for you to start and learn.

Experienced situations that I never thought of in a business setting and really opened up my eyes to what goes on behind the scenes.
Columbus, OH | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I got to work with at the organization
The networking opportunities that were presented to me

Would have liked to have more of a personal connection to my supervisors

The people that I had the opportunity to work with over the summertime were some of the most caring people I have ever had the chance to work with in a professional setting. Exel is a great place to be and the people are what make the organization.

Exel
Columbus, OH | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Throughout my internship I felt that my fellow employees really cared for my learning and growth as a young professional. What I learned from the internship will not only be applicable in the workplace, but outside the office setting, specifically in school as I am finishing up my senior year at Miami University. Exel had multiple different programs and events that interns were able to attend, each with a different topic that we ourselves brainstormed at the beginning of the summer. I was exposed to real world situations that one could not learn from reading a book or listening to a lecture. The company culture was fabulous and created a very comfortable working atmosphere.

I was the only intern in the office that I worked in (the other interns worked in the building next door) so I didn't get to have much interaction with the other interns. I would have liked more group/team building exercises where we would be able to work together as a whole.

If you put in the time, effort, and energy to make Exel better, Exel will return the favor with the company devoting resources to make you better as a professional. You will learn more from this internship than you would imagine, even if you are working in a foreign department.

Advice to Management

-Formal Training
-Team Building Activities or Group Projects

Rewarding professional experience at a great company.
Columbus, OH | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My supervisor was extremely helpful and encouraging throughout my assignments. Everyone at the company respected my contribution to the team and I enjoyed going to work everyday.

There was a lot of manual Excel spreasheet work and working on the computer.

Make sure you know what is expected of you before going into the organization and what kind of projects you can get involved in. The experience is really what you make of it so put 100% into the work you do while at the company. People will notice you if you reach out to them and try to make connections.

Advice to Management

Make sure that there is enough work to keep the intern busy and that they are assignments worth while to the individual and to the organization overall.

A great opportunity, offering many learning experiences
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact I got to work with numerous employees in the company.

Did not have a project that was completely my own.

Its a company that offers a lot of opportunity, and as long as you are willing to work hard you will advance within the company.

Advice to Management

More training in a sense that the workers could become more well rounded and not just have an expertise on their specific job.

I Became More at Exel
Detroit, MI | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning logistical issues that needed to be solved from a day to day.

I only got to work for 10 weeks. I wish I had more time to become involved with Exel

Exel is owned by DHL. Culture is very easy going with dteremention of getting the job done and doing it above customer statisfaction.

Advice to Management

The only problem I ran into was having a short time to find a place to live during the internship, but my bosses help me through out the hole week to find a sutiable place.

Skip the kiddie pool and dive into the deep end.
Allentown, PA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

A lot of professional development and experience in a short amount of time. Made me think on my feet and find out what works as being a leader in the workplace.

The site I was located at wasn't familiar with the intern program as I was their first intern so I felt they weren't as well prepared for me.

Don't take a back seat to the internship experience. Ask a lot of questions and don't nervous around upper management. They want to see you succeed so use them as resources so you can get the most out of the experience.

Advice to Management

Just more established training procedures.

A great first exposure to what a real world job will entail as far as responsibilites and commitment.
Columbus, OH | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given freedom to do my work as well as a great amount of responsibility.

Sometimes my job lacked specific direction. There were also times where I felt that I my capabilities were not used to their full advantage.

Understand that the company is a fast-moving organization that needs people who are self-motivated and reliable.

Real life situations
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The colleagues

Nothing that I recall

Interesting place that motivates to succeed.

Exposure to corporate culture

Corporate culture
People, environment
Career development

Sometimes did not have work to do when waiting for responses about certain projects

Great company, especially if you are interested in logistics. Everyone one is very friendly and the HR team does a fantastic job informing you and helping you with any needs/concerns.