Intern at Walgreen Company Corporate Internship Program? Submit a Review

Merchandising Exposure Program is the Best Hands-on Retail Experience

Northbrook, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

- Collaborative environment -- EVERYBODY is willing to help, no matter who they are
- Meaningful work -- my project allowed me to actually make a difference in what goes on shelves
- Exposure to upper-level executives -- whether it is through working on the case, presenting/winning the case, or working with your daily team, there are always very important people willing to give interns the time of day
- Extensive network -- Walgreens is like a family and there is always somebody who can help or can refer you to somebody who can help
- Professional development -- You are treated as a regular employee, forcing you to dive in to your projects and work as a professional
- Housing provided for out-of-state students
- Mentorship -- You are paired with a "buddy" who is currently in the full-time rotational position (MARP) as well as a team member to be your mentor. My manager and team as a whole were extremely supportive and always willing to help me, even if it didn't pertain to my specific project. A great learning opportunity.

- Case Competition -- Too lengthy and demanding, many of us worked off the clock which is not technically allowed. Would recommend Walgreens does a two-day case if they want to provide that type of exposure to interns
- No lunch at "Lunch and Learn" sessions -- Finance/Accounting interns received a catered lunch for every info session (usually weekly) that occurred over lunch time but MEP interns did not. Recommendation is to keep it equal for all
- DC tour -- being on a bus at 6:45 am to visit a DC in WI for only a couple hours was not worth it to me. The tour wasn't that educational or exciting and we were on the bus more than we were at the DC

Comments

Despite any downers, this is an AMAZING opportunity to learn about merchandising, a global retailer, and yourself as a professional and what you want for a full-time job. Walgreens offers so many resources and truly cares about your success, even as an intern. If you get an offer with this company, TAKE IT. Be prepared to work hard, but it will be the best decision you ever make.

Great Experience

Deerfield, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

-Now under the Walgreens Boots Alliance mergers, interns have opportunities to get exposure to Walgreens, Boots, and Wholesale Distribution segments
-Dynamic environment that is constantly changing and growing
-Soon to be Fortune 10 company with Rite Aide acquisition; so many more opportunities
-Great culture; analysts all the way up to senior management are so willing to help and get to know interns (I got to meet the CFO of both Walgreens and Walgreens Boots Alliance).
-Great exposure into so many different fields within finance and accounting. Even exposure into completely different areas like strategy, merchandising, etc.

Some of the IT could be a bit slow at times, but only marginally.

Comments

The opportunity that you are going to receive here as an intern will be truly unique. Walgreens is now part of a larger Walgreens Boots Alliance parent company so there is so much new opportunity in the company, especially with Rite Aide about to receive FTC approval.

Not only will it soon be a Fortune 10 company, but Walgreens' culture makes you excited to get to work everyday. People are motivated and intelligent, but what separates Walgreens' culture from other companies is its down to earth culture where everyone is willing to help and get to know you personally.

Walgreens Internship is Great Experience

Deerfield, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

I was given real opportunity within my department to do value-adding work. When originally offered the position, I had the chance to rank my preferences as to where specifically I wanted to be placed within the Finance & Accounting Departments of the company. There were roughly 15 different options.
Also, there was a case competition which was a really educational experience. For the competition, you are put into a group with 3 or 4 teammates (other interns) and are prompted with putting together a business case which you will then present near the end of the summer (roughly a 30 minute presentation). It's an awesome opportunity to get real world experience in teamwork and communication. It also gives you a chance to reach out to plenty of people throughout the company for their expertise.
Lastly, the amount of exposure to managers/directors/executives that this internship program allows is pretty wild. As an intern I got to speak with some of the higher-ups in the company which was very cool.

I lived in the area (roughly 25 miles away) but I was kind of far away. Unfortunately, I was ineligible for the housing Walgreens provides. So driving to and from the corporate campus was a bit of a pain at times.

Comments

The internship program feeds into the Finance Development Program. The FDP Program is a 2 year rotational program. FDP's complete 4, 6 month rotations in their 2 years, each of which is in a different department. Interns get the opportunity to interview for this program at the end of the summer.

Walgreens Internship Offers Extensive Learning and Even More Opportunities

Deerfield, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

The internship lived up to everything it originally offered. Intern events were planned all throughout the summer which helped us get to know the intern class, our managers and mentors, and many other employees ranging from first year's all the way up to the CFO. The visibility offered throughout the internship truly set this program apart.

Regarding the everyday aspect of the internship, all of the work my manager tasked me with was truly value add material. I was not filing papers or getting coffee. I was working on projects that the executives used at meetings and projects that directly affected the bottom-line. It was more than gratifying seeing my work used in settings like that.

Last but not least, the case competition. This case competition was an intense and time consuming experience which really challenged you to manage your time between the case work and the projects your manager tasked you with. It was actually a really fun experience that I was able to share with 4 other interns on my team. Plus, presenting your case to the senior directors, and if you move onto the final round, presenting it to senior executives, was quite an experience. I am still shocked at how serious the whole company takes the intern case competition. The fact that these people would take a whole day out of their extremely busy schedule to watch and judge our case shows how much the entire organization cares about the internship and that we get the most out of it that we possibly can.

Overall great experience that I am so grateful I was given the chance to be a part of.

A small, but quite tedious and annoying aspect of the internship was the clocking in and out because we are on hourly pay. It is something that would seem very easy, however it is something that was actually fairly time consuming figuring out how to use it. Plus we all needed constant reminders to clock in and out every day, and fixing an incorrect time stamp meant you needed to bother your admin or manager.

Comments

The culture and the Financial Development Program (FDP) is what originally attracted me here. Everyone here is enthusiastic, nice and helpful. No matter someone's "rank", they were willing to help out the interns with any information we needed.

The FDP program is a rotational program that gives you a holistic view of the company over a 2 year period where you will get to work in 4 different areas of the company (rotations). After graduating the FDP program, you will be promoted to Senior Financial Analyst and progress your career with Walgreens. FDP graduates are quite the soft after candidates within Walgreens as most departments will all try and recruit them to work in their respective field.

Merchandise Exposure Program Intern

Northbrook, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

You really get entrusted with a lot of responsibility and high-impact work. It makes you feel much more than an intern, since the work you are doing is going to last long after you are done. My manager was very supportive, and helped me learn a lot about merchandising/buying here. She was very proactive in connecting me with all the people she works with in other departments, so that I was able to get a full understanding of the company and have my specific questions answered. There is also housing provided for out of state students, which was a huge perk to me. It definitely made getting ready for the internship much easier. The field trips and social events were pretty fun and a good opportunity to learn more about the company away from your desk as well as a chance to network. There are actually a lot of opportunities to network, which is another big perk. There are lunch and learns for your department where you get to meet with executives and different leaders throughout the company. It is really nice to have that exposure with them and be able to interact with them in more of a relaxed environment. Lastly, I liked the case competition as well. It was a lot of work, but it was nice to do work that pertained to departments outside of my own, and to broaden my knowledge of the company even further. Presenting to directors is a bit nerve-racking, but an awesome opportunity!

I thought that the professional development workshops weren't that helpful. I think they are a good idea and definitely could be helpful, but the information we were given in them were things that we already new. Since Walgreens says they are recruiting high-level candidates, they should treat us as such and not review career development material we have already been taught. There is also no excel training, which for me was a bummer.

Comments

Definitely take advantage of every opportunity that is given to you, since there are a lot and it helps you to better understand the company and see if you could picture yourself working there after you graduate. Take advantage of all the times you get to network or talk with leadership, since there are surprisingly a lot of times you get to do this, and it helps you get recognized and open doors for you before you are even working an entry level job here. Work hard at the case study competition and don't put it off until the last minute! Don't be afraid to reach out to people in the company if you want to explore other opportunities while you're here. Everyone is super open to answering your questions and helping you out so take advantage of that.

Work itself is great, internship formalities and events seem pointless

Deerfield, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Meaningful work! -- the high-level impact and responsibility you are entrusted with makes for a great resume builder

great pay and free housing for out of state students

The work itself and corporate experience you gain is essential for an impressive resume -- the internship supplies that, but the internship formalities are a bit elementary.

As an intern, you must participate in "career development" events and speaker events -- these events, along with almost all of the events and formalities you go through are quite elementary and don't teach a self respecting college student much of anything they haven't already learned 3 times by now. This aspect was quite annoying, but enduring these things is worth it to be able to work on important high-level material.

Comments

The downsides to this internship are outweighed by the upsides for sure. It was still a good experience and valuable to building my personal resume, but the process itself could be improved to treat the high performing candidates that all the Walgreens interns are as such.

Merchandise Exposure Program Intern

Northbrook, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Case study competition, great corporate atmosphere, meaningful work, hotel accommodations, competitive pay, internship events were awesome, very flexible projects based on your skills

Technology(laptops), lack of information about organizational hierarchy and who to contact for what information, no excel training

Comments

This internship gives you a great understanding of Walgreens corporate atmosphere and offers a great opportunity to network across the entire organization. This internship is looking for candidates with great work ethic and a positive attitude.

Finance & Accounting Internship Offers Extensive and Challenging Experience

Deerfield, IL | August 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

-Individual projects directly related to your department.
-Internship team case study competition offers intense opportunity to present to Walgreens senior management.
-Opportunities to meet with director/executive level leaders from different areas of the company.
-Close interaction with mentor and manager.

-Hourly pay makes it necessary to clock in & out.
-Have to have patience handling large amounts of data

Comments

Walgreens Corporate Internship is one of the best available in the area of corporate finance, which most intern candidates do not realize. You are given an extreme amount of responsibility within your unique department placement. The majority of full-time analysts accepted into the rotational Financial Development Program (FDP)are picked from the intern class.

I learned a lot, was exposed to many facets of business, and was given an opportunity to make real impact on walgreens bottom line.

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a great manager and loved working under her to grow the blood pressure monitor business. It was also a lot of fun living with the other interns, going to social events with them, and competing in the case competition,

It was tough being in the suburbs of chicago when I wanted to be downtown.

This is a very poorly worded question. You mean potential employee?

Advice to Management

Finance interns shouldn't be paid more than merchandising.
There should be a better way to compare interns against each other since everyone is competing for an offer and no one had the same project.

Tell me about a time you took on a leadership role.

Walgreen's does summer internships right.

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working individually in a department, but still interacting with other interns on a daily basis. Getting work which created real change inside of the company.

Unable to see a true representation of what other positions do. I enjoyed hearing about other departments, but I never got to truly experience any.

It is a fantastic environment but you will be expected to learn quickly and contrbute on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

If there was an addition of a test day. Where one could choose a department they are not a part of but interested in. Then they would get to expereince that department durning a work day.

How do you define success.