Toys "R" Us, Inc. Corporate Internship Program

Life Changing

Love your job and you will never work a day in your life.

Wayne, NJ.

Even though you are focused in a particular department, you get a wholistic experience and cross-functional exposure that can be eye-opening to career choices.

Advice to Management

Visa sponsorship.

Date: 2012

A learning experience that open the door to new opportunities

Networking and creating new relationships

Nothing, I have a fantastic experience.

Take advantage of the networking opportunities. Ask a lot of questions and stay motivated.

Advice to Management

I do not see anything wrong. Toys R Us has a very friendly atmosphere. I felt that it was a privilege to be paid and was done appropriately. Each manager abided by the summer hours rule.

Date: 2012

Successfully completed intern objectives with satisfactory results.

I really enjoyed being able to work on real life projects that were able to impact the company in a positive way. I enjoyed the planned networking events, but also the networking I was able to do on my own within the company.

There was nothing I did not like, I had a great internship experience.

Need to be team player, but also work independently.

Date: 2012

I have gained the skills necessary to help me within my chosen field and studied and worked with talented designers who mentored me.

The best parts were getting the feel of a corporate environment and getting real work experience in my field.

The only downside was that it was too short.

My advice would be to not be afraid to ask questions and be open to learn new skills whenever possible.

Brand Management Intern in the Soft Lines Department of Babies "R" Us

The people I worked with were fantastic at teaching me and making me fee like I was a valuable part of the team.

It was difficult to find housing near the company and they didn't have too many resources for us.

It's a great place to work the company culture is very friendly and everyone is so helpful.

Date: 2012

Tremendous experience with real world projects that truly impact the company. Ability to effect change at an entry level.

Best aspects of the internship were the corporate culture. The organization has a strong emphasis on the culture of the company and it truly lives up to the expectations. We are a company that works hard but we "play" hard too because at the end of the day we are a toy company. Another amazing aspect of the internship was that the projects that were assigned had real world implications and involved a lot of work but the outcome was tremendous to see as well as I felt a sense of accomplishment as I saw my projects enacted. The company also did a great job at involving senior management in the program and allowing the interns the opportunity to meet the executive team.

There was nothing that I disliked about the internship.

I would say to think outside the box when evaluating organizations for employment. I know as a college student, I did not always think of this organization as a potential employer because the university focused solely on accounting firms, financial institutions and banks as potential employers. Therefore, my organization wasn't always at the top of my list as potential places to build a career. Once i broadened my horizons (due to experiencing the culture at an investment bank), I determined that building a career in the investment banking world wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, I switched gears and found that this organization was less than an hour away and decided to reach out to the recruitment agency. I had an amazing internship and found that this is the right organization for me to build my career. I have had zero regrets with my decision and truly love what I do. So make sure that you open your mind to different opportunities and varying paths to a successful career because there are tons of opportunities at places that you wouldn't think!

Advice to Management

The organization does a fantastic job with training, diversity and recognizing talent. I have always felt that this company offers a fair work environment with equal opportunities for all. A potential opportunity for the company to become a better place to work would be to offer more employee events such as "picnics", "town halls", company lunches etc.

Date: 2012

Learned how to use current trends to recommend new strategies

Great company culture, lots of networking opportunities, lots of responsibilities that were relevant to my academic studies

there was nothing negative about my internship

While the program is very structured with many activities planned for you, they provide the best networking opportunities I have seen with any of my previous 4 internships.

Advice to Management

uses some outdated business practices that prevent rapid growth

Excellent

Pay friends program

Location in NJ

Great place but bad location

Date: 2012

Meaningful, joyful and challenging internship

The overall internship program is well organized with clear process and milestone. The team members and other interns are very friendly and helpful. The projects I worked on are well managed.

There is only very limited public transportation. It is difficult to get to office without a car.

Teamwork is essential to work in TRU. However, it's a big company that has a lot projects, so that it's not easy to see one's contribution to the company. Employees or interns should be patient.

Date: 2012

Toys R Us is the perfect place to learn, network and grow, while still maintaining a fun and energized atmosphere (toys!)

Networking opportunities, organized intern trips, mentor/buddy system, ability to drive and own a real project

A little bit too much autonomy for first corporate experience

Toys R Us is a great place to do an internship if you are ambitious and willing to put in the work to get the most out of it. The headquarters is a large place with so many resources and opportunities to network, but like anything else, you need to seek them out proactively in order to get that benefit. The grounds itself are great with ample parking, great security, indoor/outdoor lunch area, gym, and coffee lounge for you to enjoy for the 10 weeks. People are generally nice and helpful and doors are always open for interns that want to set up a meeting with anyone to learn about different parts of the company.

Advice to Management

I think TRU can improve in the area of training. There are some courses offered by HR, but most of them are soft skills like working with different personalities and communicating. I would like to see more hard training being done in specific job functions, at all levels.