Intern at Mattress Firm Sales Management Internship? Submit a Review

A leap of faith, leading to a journey of a lifetime! The metamorphasis of one person through the support of a new family.

Houston, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture that was offered emphasized by the support of every person I encountered. Everyone has a passion and a desire to help their peers grow as people.

The unknowns. I didn't like how there were some aspects that weren't explained at the beginning, even though some of it was to be expected out of a newer program.

Build upon and take full advantage of the time you have and the relationships you make. This is your time to challenge yourself and find your passion and your skills, all while being around people who would love nothing more than to see your passions realized. Beyond the numbers, beyond the products, find happiness in the experience and allow yourself to find joy in the progress you will make.

Advice to Management

Employee retention was a huge issue I came across. In sales it is difficult to find people who have a passion for selling mattresses, but the quality of people being hired was not what I expected it to be. There was a huge disconect between the largely successfull managers and the salespeople who lasted less than a year. I belive the hiring and interviewing process needs to be much more selective in order to help with retention, as well as increased performance in the districts and guest satisfaction.

Where was one area you found yourself struggling where you were able to overcome it and succeed?

Seeing the business world full circle, GR8 sales masterminds

Spokane, WA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

competitive analysis, continued coaching, support, POS training, product knowledge training, social experiences with co-workers, service excursions with co-workers, leading projects

working holidays (we worked weekends too, but I didn't mind that!), training material is not consistent with current product/sale (recent merge, so the company is working to get it fixed)

Do it. You will have an INCREDIBLE summer. I learned more in twelve weeks that I learned in a whole semester in class. You will learn about human nature, how to react to it, and just how brutal/great/eye-opening competition can be. The skills you will learn in this internship are applicable to ANY field you want to go into.

Advice to Management

Make sure training is current with the products that you have on the floor. I studied product knowledge for products that I found out we didn't even carry anymore.

What now? I'm done with the internship and I had the time of my life. I love this company. I want to maintain a professional relationship with you. What opportunities are there after the internship?

What was your favorite part about the internship?
What is your background in sales?
Sell me this pen.
Tell me about a time when you disagreed with someone.

An Experience of a Lifetime

Houston, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount I grew and learned. The relationships I was able to build, and the amount of responsibility I was able given.

The hours. It should be kept in mind that we are college students, we want to get to know our other interns. Perhaps all interns should have the same days off.

You must be confident when you speak about the product, and must stay in control of the sale.

Advice to Management

As I stated before, the hours.

In the last year, what are you most proud of accomplishing?

Great Experience with Mattress Firm

Houston, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Leadership Coaching, People, Training, Presentations, Socials, Overall Team Camaraderie

Everything was great experience.

If you are taking class, taking something easy. That way you can focus on training more and have more time to make compensation.

MFRM Internship: Gaining Vauable Skills to Grow Personally and Professionalu

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity and independence offered

The slow communication with my supervisors

MFRM is a great place to work and begin your career development because it can give you all the skills you need to succeed not just in retail, but any career path you might end up on

Advice to Management

I would definitely suggest being one hundred percent clear about compensation structure before the internship begins, so there are no surprises

Why do you want to work with us?
What do you think you could bring to our organization?
How can we help your path?

A sales internship designed to mold you into the company to become one of the team and sell successfully.

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Selling on the floor was the best part. It's exciting to push for a sale.

I wished we didn't have six full weeks of class room time. It eventually became repetitive.

The people make this internship awesome. The leadership is superb and at the same time there is an opportunity to make money.

Advice to Management

Shorten the class room time. I learned more by being on the sales floor and learning from experience.

Awesome!

Training, pay

N/a, weekends

Great company

Great culture, fun memories

The company culture

Professionalism of the employees was low at times

Be open to this new experience.

A company that cares

Arlington, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were how the full-time employees took the time to make sure you understood the products and would help anytime you needed assistance.

Least favorite part of the internship was how much you had to sell in order to hit the additionally compensation and how some bonuses were based on the district and not individual performance.

It is an internship that focuses heavily on sales, so make sure that sales is what you want to enter in to before signing up.

This internship was a very big eye opener for the real world when it comes to sales and met and even exceeded my expectations.

Houston, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects was the amount of training you were provided in order to not be lost or confused on selling. Another aspect would be the amount of times were you were able to mix and mingle with other parts of the company and not just sales at the store but in corporate as well.

What I liked least was the hours of the internship and the days you would have off. It is definitley not friendly when it comes to personal time because the days you would typically have off would not allow for normal family events and work/personal life balance was horrible.
Another thing that I did not enjoy was the amount of assignments we had to complete. Aside from some of us having summer classes, we also had the assignments for the internship. Some of these assignments were a litle too much for an internship. Some of the assignments required group effort which was a little unfair becasue some of us were in districts that only had one intern while other districts had more than 2 which was very unfair.

i would say make sure you have your life balanced out because time is very important in the industry.

Advice to Management

Hours should be more friendly to those people have families mainly because I noticied that a lot of parents are constantley on the phone with their spouses. Another thing to address is how some DM's address other managers below them.