Intern at CDW Campus Internship Program? Submit a Review

Valuable Consulting and Sales Experience

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting new people and learning more about the campus.

There can be a certain level of ambiguity to overcome.

As i stated above, there can be ambiguity in this internship but each intern has all the tools to help them succeed! The account managers and supervisors are very helpful throughout the entire process.

Interested in Sales? Become a CDW Campus Intern! Mentorship, Networking, and Customer Service Experience Await You

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-flexible hours: work around class, family commitments, etc.
-weekly check-ins are very helpful in keeping projects on track
-great opportunity to network on campus
-mentor experience from the account team is very valuable
-great experience in customer service

-isolation and lack of physical office environment results in a lack of company culture/camaraderie
-being the only student on the team can be lonely
-without prior IT knowledge, partner initiatives are difficult to wrap my head around
-juggling multiple partner initiatives is difficult without an extensive campus network (don't want to try to push multiple products on the same contact)

While prior IT knowledge is not required for the internship, it definitely helps. Not having any has definitely been a handicap.

Advice to Management

-More collaboration opportunities with fellow interns. Asking for advice from peers is less intimidating than asking a supervisor. More peer-to-peer access allows for the sharing of ideas, campus experiences, etc.
-More trainings on the parts of IT you need to understand to be successful in conversations on campus.

Great Experience

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible, learned a lot, got connected with a lot of different people that I otherwise wouldn't have met

I wish it would have been a little more structured

That it is almost all on your own

Hey! I'm walkin here

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am able to work proactively and outside a standard set of day to day operations. It is fluid and always changing if you are challenging yourself enough

There is not much support when you are alone on campus

Be ready to get out of your comfort zone and to learn not to take things personally

Advice to Management

There is a policy that only one intern can be at a campus at a time. It might be beneficial to train an upcoming intern on campus before I leave

Good experience

Iowa City, IA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to make my own schedule

That I had to work on my own and not in an office

Manage time wisely and be proactive

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities to participate in an office setting

What are you looking to get out of an internship?

Field Account Manager preparation.

Las Vegas, NV | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Extremely flexible schedule. Work on your own time. Great trainings. Networking on campus.

Low compensation

The enormity of services offered by a single company. CDW offers so many things that I didn't know they offered.

Advice to Management

Compensation increase, more incentive-based income.

What was a time where you had to come up with a creative solution to a problem?

Great hands on learning experience with flexible hours

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hours are flexible

Not having any office space

I knew everything I needed to know before starting this internship

Great opportunity to network, bad experience with sales team.

Bellingham, WA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to create your own hours, the opportunity to learn about business to business relations, and creating a statement for your campus is great.

One of my sales managers told me their were unsure about the internship program, and did not like the direction it was going. Threw me off a bit, because this IS my job. I thought I was doing well, and even though I am being told that I'm doing great, it still is annoying. Makes me feel useless for this position.

Work closely with your sales team. I feel a stronger connection with one and not the other, for example, I would go into meetings with folks on campus who would tell me about a project they are working on with CDW, but I would have no idea what they are talking about since I wasn't given information.

Advice to Management

Compensate higher, training on CDW specific areas.

Mostly behavioral, 'when have you helped a disgruntled customer', 'what do you do when someone is overly aggressive', etc.

Internship perfect for learning about emerging technology and the internal structures of different markets.

San Jose, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Flexibility with my schedule
-Ample sales resources
-Interesting partnerships
-Friendly coworkers

-Underpaid
-Undervalued by customers
-Remote status makes it difficult to feel motivated - we're often left feeling lonely and unmotivated

The nature of the internship is to use a students' status as a student to open doors with the university. While it is an interesting and beneficial selling point, it leaves students open to dealing with people who doubt them because of their status as a student.

Advice to Management

Increase hourly compensation.

"If you were faced with a roadblock, what is your thought process for finding a solution?"