Intern at Burlington Stores Summer Intern Program? Submit a Review

The Best Exposure to the Exciting World of Off-Price

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining real-world exposure, learning and growing everyday, completing meaningful work, shadowing other areas and getting the opportunity to gain valuable connections, learning how to remain flexible in a dynamic and fast paced environment

I don't have any negative things to say about my internship with Burlington Stores!

To brush up on your excel skills and research how the off-price model, specifically Burlington, operates. Also to remain organized and to learn how to effectively time manage

Advice to Management

Better address the 40 hour work week limitation, as it can sometimes be difficult not to go over when in market 1-2 times a week and having Friday summer hours. One could find themselves not having enough time to do their day to day tasks as well as work on their projects if they are required to leave earlier on certain days to avoid overage

Tell me about yourself/past experiences? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What obstacles have you overcome and how did you overcome them?

This internship prepared me for a future career in buying

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Getting to attend market appointments
-Getting to know the other interns
-Being able to offer an opinion

-Somewhat unorganized in terms of when vital information is provided (Time we needed to come in the first week was not clear, community service locations not assigned until two days before)

My experience at Burlington has been so much better than I could have imagined. They really treat you well, respect you as an intern, and train you for everything you need to do. You will never have to go on a coffee run at this internship. You truly are learning and assisting your team.

Advice to Management

None

Burlington, a company that empowers you to learn and grow to your fullest potential.

Market Days

Orientation

Ask your team if you can sit with them at their desks at least a few days a week, as that is when you will learn the most.

Advice to Management

Make sure buyers are giving interns a list of vendor contacts within the first week in order to allow the intern to start growing relationships with all of our business partners.

How would you describe the off-price model?

Why are you interested in this internship and buying in general?

work and fun

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

networking, learning about the fashion & footwear industries

the commute to nyc

They should know how willing everyone is to ensure you're successful and working in the right department. Don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance.

Best Buying Internship Ever

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Watching my buyer negotiate with vendors in New York City was really exciting and interesting

Nothing, it was awesome!

Traveling to NYC is mandatory but the company will cover your transportation costs

Advice to Management

It would be nice if departments were more closely linked and participated in activities together

How do you keep up with style and trends?
Why are you interested in buying?
Why would you want to work for an off-price retailer as compared to a traditional retailer?
Do you think our store layout is beneficial?
How do you think Burlington could improve?

Real life experience of being an off-price retail buyer (both the glamorous & administrative)

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Nice employees, nice interns, desk space, so many windows in the building, 401K lunch and learn session, helpful HR staff, day of service, going to NYC (market) to meet with vendors, train tickets paid for, mileage expensed, cafeteria, catered food during onboarding week, sitting outside during lunch time, laptops and mice provided, phone provided,

really strict with ONLY 40 hours or less, which made some weeks stressful, working with some immature interns in group projects, the group project, wish I got paid slightly more (in comparison with my last internship it was lower)

The commute is long - so be prepared for that! Carpooling would be a good option. Also, ask as many questions as possible - you will learn the most that way. Stay hydrated - being so busy all day helps you forget to drink water throughout the day!

Why do you want to be a buyer?
Did you get out to one of our stores before the interview? What did you think?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
Do you have Excel skills/practice?

Great work life balance

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of social and learning events

Company was very laid back and hours were very flexible as long as you didn't go into overtime.

This internship requires a good amount of work on projects aside from department work, so be proactive and start early.

Advice to Management

Nothing, it was all around fantastic

What programming languages are you comfortable with and how well do you know them?
Most interview questions were informal personality questions to see how you would fit into the work environment.
Asking me to talk about myself and some of my interests.
Less technical questions.

Incredible Experience at Burlington Stores as a Buying Intern

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

attending market days, meeting vendors, and shadowing other departments in buying and other areas in the company

every intern doesn't do all of the same things because it's dependent on the manager

Everyone is so friendly, caring, and supportive; they really want you to succeed.

Advice to Management

Offer more bonding experiences

How do you play a role in a group dynamic?
What is your biggest strength/weakness?
What is the hardest piece of criticism you've ever received?

Real Opportunity for Growth and Making an Impact

Burlington, NJ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Shadowing different departments was one of the best parts of this summer - I got to really explore different departments within the company to see where I might want to work next. There were also educational lunches on some Fridays that were a great break in the day (and I still learned). My favorite part was shadowing one of the buyers in New York City.

The group project put a wedge in a good portion of this summer. Especially commuting from a different building, having to meet every week for a project that was heavily Buyer-oriented, I did not feel that I could add much value to the project, and ultimately felt like I dedicated too much valuable time to this.

Be open to new experiences and to new departments at Burlington. Everyone at the company is genuinely interested in letting you learn as much as you can and watch you advance in your career.

Advice to Management

I think there should be a little more flexibility with the hours - we were strictly held to 40 and would get chastised if we went over (even for valid reasons). I also think that proper excel training be provided going into the internship.

-Can you tell me about a time when you had a conflict with your boss? How did you get out of it?
-Why do you want to work at Burlington?
-What do you like most about our Core Values?

A place to grow and prosper

Incredible people & atmosphere

Not enough training/attention

Whatever it is you want, you've got to dive in and get it - you get as much back as you put in

Advice to Management

Training/attention

Tell me more about your expertise in _______.
How do you think you can use those skills for and integrate with the Company?