Union Pacific Intern Program Year Round

VAULT RANKINGS >> #47 Best Overall Internships

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 166 Intern Reviews)

Very great experience. Learning something new every day

Flexible hours with school

Treated like a full time employee

Do "real" work

Able to apply what I learn here at work to my school work and vice-versa

I do not have any negatives regarding my internship

Take advantage of all the learning opportunities provided to you

Be a good listener

A great experience to sharpen your programming skills and be affiliated with experienced developers and have compensation for your time.
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the different software tools I've been able to use. I never had a lot of experience with spring or web services before I was here so it's awesome to start messing with those things.

I don't like that Union Pacific is not open over the weekend. As a student I like to reserve most my time for the week for school and the weekend for work, but they're so flexable with your schedule it works out.

The only thing I was worried about was the level of programming competency that I started with. I found out their expectations for entry level programmers is completely reasonable. They help you elevate your skills on the job.

What projects have you worked on?

What classes have you taken?

We talked a little about ORM tools and hadoop as well.

Advice to Management

I would consider using agile project management methodologies. I heard that agile methodologies can yield a better result than scrum.

Endless Opportunities
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Environment, Co-workers and the operations behind the railroad

I've yet to find one thing I dislike about working here.

Union Pacific is a great company to work for and has plenty of opportunities for interns as well as educational programs. The hands on training is exceptional and everyone is here to help you along the way. At the end of my intern program I hope to land a job working as a full-time employee!

The most innovative experience/Job for a college student

Hours

Training/Classes

Knowledge

Work environment

Delay to start work

Work hard, study, and put yourself out there and people will notice you.

"An internship of networking, learning, and the best step to becoming a corporate pilot"
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of my internship is the company willingness to let me be involved in all parts of the department so I am able to expand my knowledge about aviation. Union Pacific has put forth great effort to help me learn and network with other professionals in the field. I also appreciate the type of people that work in this company. I work with some of the best industry professionals in the world that are more than happy to help me put my foot in the door to becoming a professional pilot. Very few college students enjoy their job but I am a lucky one that can say she looks forward to going to work everday.

What I like least about my internship is that I am either so busy or have very little to do. That is something that the aviation industry faces as a whole.

This company gives employees many opportunites, make sure you take full advantage of this. If you put forth a lot of effort into your job, the company is good at realizing this and is sure to show their appreciation.

Great!
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am exposed to many other departments. I am able to apply my education.

I would like to have more time with my manager.

Be computer efficient in Excel etc.

Tell us about yourself using your resume.

Fantastic Internship With Many Opportunities

* Friendly coworkers

* Great work experience

* Career opportunities after graduation

* Very flexible hours

* Health- and safety-oriented company culture

* Access to the fitness center

* Good pay

* Several interfaces are not very user-friendly or intuitive

* Sometimes training can be informal and contains difficult concepts

* Be able to work well with others

* Be open to the idea of working nights and/or weekends (depending on position)

* Make safety a top priority for yourself and others

* Where do you see yourself after graduation?

* What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?

* What sets you apart from others who applied for this position?

Experience of a Lifetime

Networking

Nothing was bad

Network with everyone

Tell me about a time when you were confronted with an issue and how did you handle it.

Advice to Management

More flexible hours.

Challenging and self-motivating on your time
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

money, exposure to multiple departments, the people

Sitting in a cubicle all day

If you want exposure to every aspect of business and have the opportunity to figure out where you want to belong and have the opportunity to be placed anywhere you want, choose Union Pacific.

Union Pacific is the place to be, Great People, Great Experiences, and Great Opportunities

- Training

- Flexible Hours

- Great Pay

- School Remains as Top Priority

- Great Benefits

- Friendly Co-Workers

- Teamwork

- Real World Problems/Solutions

- Reasonable Expectations - they don't expect you to know everything and they are happy to answer questions.\

- The first week of work can be overwhelming because of all the information you are given.

- Be Punctual - always show up on time to work, meetings, getting back from lunch.

- Be Polite - a please and thank you can go a long way in this company.

- Be Presentable - They have a dress code and it is enforced, but it''s not unreasonable

- Be Personable - Don't be afraid to talk to people, networking can be a great skill to have.

- Be Professional - Believe it or not your manager is not the only person that takes notice of you.

- Be Positive - A positive can-do attitude shows your boss that you care about the job and you're not just wasting their time.

- Participate - There are many different activities sponsored by UP for their interns to participate in. They are fun and a great way to network!

- Have Pride - Your work is your own, be proud of it and own it!

- Be Humble - You don't know everything, no one does if you have information that's useful make it common knowledge.

- ASK QUESTIONS - You're an intern they do not expect you to have mastered your field. It's better to ask a question than to sit at your desk and twiddle your thumbs

Most important of all...

- Have Fun - You're work experience is what you make it. There is no reason you can not work hard but still have fun. Now is the time to make mistakes and get messy. That's how you learn, your manager expects you to make mistakes don't be afraid. Be open to change and make the best of it.

That is all the advice I can give you, your experience is yours and yours alone to make the best or worst time of your life.

I cannot provide any as interview questions are very specific to each department, as well as each team.

Advice to Management

It would help the interns more if the first day was not so intense. It's a lot of information to take in and it's kinda like pouring water on a saturated sponge.