Intern at Union Pacific Intern Program Year Round? Submit a Review

Union Pacific: Preparing Future Leaders

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Exposure to high level leadership at a very early stage in my career

- opportunities to utilize skills and strengths to positivley impact a work team

- Opportunities to work accross the business and network with various work groups and departments.

I would only suggest more time with the transition from the previous intern to the new intern. In the beginning I felt I was given all of the access I needed but wasn't given much direction on what do to with the access or how to run the regular processes I was in charge of, so it was a bit frustrating in the beginning. However, I prefer to learn by doing, but I would have been nice to have just a bit to go off of.

You don't have to know everything about your position, the company you work for, etc in the beginning, but your employer will expect you to ask questions and take charge of your internship experience. If you use the experience for all it's worth and stop at nothing to keep learning new processes and skills on the job, it will pay off in the end.

- Tell me about yourself.

- What did you do to prepare today?

- Tell me about a group project. What was your role? What was the outcome of the project?

- Tell me about a time you had to manage a budget

- What kind of leadership experience do you have? What was most challenging?

Advice to Management

I don't think there is a whole lot that could make this experience better. I know a large majority of interns don't understand why we do not get benefits, but in my opinion, it's better that way because it's another incentive to get hired for a full time position after the internship ends.

A great opportunity to network, develop your skills, learn the systems, and prepare yourself for a full time M&S Position.

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

In the position I work, I get to interact with employees from every level in M&S. Through working M&S Support, I have gained a vast amount of knowledge in our applications, and developed a large network of references. Above all the team I work with (RIM) has been great. They are always there to assist with anything you need, and provide a lot of opportunity to learn more. This internship deserves an A+. Also, my supervisor has been there a lot of help in the application process. If someone wanted to learn about M&S, this is the place to do it.

There isn't a set plan for what happens after your internship.

I'll keep it simple. Union Pacific provides a unique package that most employers can never offer you. Betwwen RR Retirement and the UP Pension, you are getting a hech of a deal if hired full time. They will take care of you forever, so long as you do the work. This internship gives you a foot in the door to build your network and earn a full-time position.

Tell me of a time when you had to make a tough decision. Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.

Advice to Management

I'll touch a little on each.

Compensation: The pay at Union Pacific is great. Nothing needs to change here.

Hours: As an intern, I was unable to get more than 22 hours at UP due to me being in school. I was told that this is designed so work doesn't affect my studies. However, in one past Spring semester I worked 40 hours and took 19 credits in school (12 is Full-Time) and earned a 3.65 GPA. Obviously my studies were not affected. I feel the rule would be better written to state that interns are not required to work more than 22 hours per week instead of not allowed.

Employee Retention: No complaints.

Promotion Policies: No complaints.

Diversity: We are a very diverse company A+.

Training: There is a lot of opportunity for training A+.

A good learning experience

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best parts are learning about the professional environment, getting a better understanding of my field, and forming bonds with coworkers.

Having to have better time management because of going to school as well.

No opinion.

The most innovative experience/Job for a college student

Hours

Training/Classes

Knowledge

Work environment

Delay to start work

Work hard, study, and put yourself out there and people will notice you.

Great!

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am exposed to many other departments. I am able to apply my education.

I would like to have more time with my manager.

Be computer efficient in Excel etc.

Tell us about yourself using your resume.

"An internship of networking, learning, and the best step to becoming a corporate pilot"

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of my internship is the company willingness to let me be involved in all parts of the department so I am able to expand my knowledge about aviation. Union Pacific has put forth great effort to help me learn and network with other professionals in the field. I also appreciate the type of people that work in this company. I work with some of the best industry professionals in the world that are more than happy to help me put my foot in the door to becoming a professional pilot. Very few college students enjoy their job but I am a lucky one that can say she looks forward to going to work everday.

What I like least about my internship is that I am either so busy or have very little to do. That is something that the aviation industry faces as a whole.

This company gives employees many opportunites, make sure you take full advantage of this. If you put forth a lot of effort into your job, the company is good at realizing this and is sure to show their appreciation.

This is the best internship experience in America!

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Stimulating work, excellent work experience, nurturing work atmosphere, friendly and helpful coworkers, and great pay!

There were no cons to this intership.

If you are a hard and honest worker who likes to be challenged by your work and constantly be learning new information on a daily-basis, Union Pacific is the ideal choice.

Advice to Management

Management has been helpful, fair, and understanding in every aspect of my experience as an intern at Union Pacific.

Experience of a Lifetime

Networking

Nothing was bad

Network with everyone

Tell me about a time when you were confronted with an issue and how did you handle it.

Advice to Management

More flexible hours.

This was the best experience I could have imagined happening. I've learned a lot from the people I've worked with.

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I've been able to work with the best and the brightest on projects. Everyone here is friendly and willing to teach new people what they know.

I didn't like parking downtown, but that comes with working downtown.

I would say that they should work for them. This is the best employer, and they should apply there as soon as they can.

What makes you a fit for our team?

When will you be done with your degree?

Why are you going into this certain field of study?

Advice to Management

I think my manager has done a wonderful job of making the best out of my internship. I hope that other managers take his lead and allow their interns to work in different areas, but also making them apart of the team.

Union Pacific Railroads is the place to be.

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I work with are incredible.

The learning curve is pretty steep. It can be overwhelming at first if you don't compartmentalize.

If you want an intership where you can actually learn something and get the satisfying feeling of contributing to make society safer, Union Pacific Railroads is where you want to be.