Intern at Union Pacific Intern Program Year Round? Submit a Review

Invaluable lifelong experience

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to learn so many different aspects of the railroading industry has been a great experience. Learning various technical skills as far as using SAP, SQL Server, and Microsoft office have also proven to be very valuable.

There is nothing that I did not like about having this internship.

Be able to have an open mind coming in as there is an abundance of information to be inhaled.

Tell us a time when you had to deal with a tough coworker, Tell us about yourself.

OSS how may we help you? we are always here to help

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

the flexibility and people of the internship

30 min lunch

just let them know that UP is a cool company

Very nice

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

its a very good opportunity to learn and gain indepth understanding.

I like everything about this internship.

Its a very good organization to work with.

Possibly the Best Internship for Broadcasting and New Media Majors who are Especially Interested in the Video Production Process

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

My supervisors answer my questions, and they give me the confidence that I won't fail at any of the tasks I am assigned. I haven't ever had a problem scheduling my work hours and are flexible now that the school semester has begun. The hands-on experience I've gotten related to my major and my interests is almost unsurpassed. The only thing that would possibly beat it would be having an internship at a movie/video production company. The pay is also very good

I wish I got the chance to work with a camera more often.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, because the supervisors and employees are more than willing to help you and see you do good work. They slowly ease you into the job at the right pace and are fantastic people.

Advice to Management

In my case, being exposed to more natural light would be great. I work in the studio where there are also cubicles, a few office rooms and a break room but no windows facing outside. Also, a great addition to Union Pacific Center would be those water bottle refilling stations on each floor. I'd think it was interesting to see more of how the company operates out in the field.

The questions were very straight forward and job related. No open ended or evergreen type questions, really.
example: What kind of cameras have I used and are familiar with?
What kind of video/audio editing software have you used?
Do you have experience working around a studio?
Do you have a portfolio/online portfolio or website that we can visit to see your work?

A place where you will learn a great deal

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship is the knowledge I gain for working in a business environment and the real world experience I gain as well.

I cannot think of something I do not like from the internship.

This is a great company to work at for the benefits and how they treat you as an employee. The work you do is meaningful and help the company.

Advice to Management

Honestly, the internship has given me many opportunities to learn more with training sessions. The policies are clear and the hours are reasonable. I believe this is a great company to have a career at.

Real, Practical Accounting Work

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I feel that my work is valued at Union Pacific and that is important to the company's bottom line. The work I am doing is important to ensure payroll accuracy, and to educate the union workers about policies and procedures they should be following in order to not show up on the audits. My job is about ensuring that the company records are accurate and making behavioral changes, which are two very valuable things.

As interns, we were offered Excel and SQL Server training courses. They were very valuable classes and were full of great, useful information, but I believe they were too short. They should make them a little longer so that interns can retain the information and the instructors don't have to rush through it in an hour.

Working at Union Pacific is a great opportunity to apply the knowledge that you have been learning in your courses. You probably won't be writing journal entries or preparing financial statements, but you will get to enhance your technical and analytical skills. Be confident in your interview, and showcase your strengths if you want to work here. The look for motivated students who want to succeed, and will work hard to do so.

Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult personality or customer and how you dealt with it.
Why did you choose your major?
Tell me about a time when you took the lead on a project and what the outcome was.

Union Pacific has One of the Best Intern Programs in Omaha

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I love working with my department as if I'm a normal full-time employee. They see me as one of their own, so that is one of my favorite parts of the internship. I like coming into work and doing what I love to do.

It's so hard to say because it's all good things here. I'd say one of my least favorite things about the internship are the lack of set rules. It's almost like they let you do what you want which is a very interesting situation. I wasn't used to that coming from other jobs to here. It's not necessarily a bad thing though, I like the new freedom and handle it appropriately, it's just something different.

You'll love coming to work everyday at Union Pacific, especially if your job caters to what you're doing in school. Good money, great benefits, and looks awesome on a resume.

Gain real world accounting experience at a resepcted company with full time job prospects

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship is designed around the training and development of interns for potential full time employment. Interns complete fulfilling work and grow their technical and professional skills.

Different senior managers are inconsistent with how they treat interns. Some interns are given the responsibilities and time commitments of a full time employee. Others are given projects that are completed quickly and left with little to do.

Industry accounting from afar. Union Pacific uses modern technology, SAP, SQL, to complete financial analysis of processes and business operations. However, most of the bookkeeping operations are automated. Don't apply expecting to do bookkeeping, Union Pacific's accounting department is engrossed with financial analysis and process streamlining.

Learning Business Processes

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good culture, good team, teamwork, learning, office environment

Communication from HR about if intern rules change

Be vocal and make sure you list your concerns when a issue arises. Also to make sure to sell your self as the best you can be.

An Education Better than School

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I've learned more practical knowledge here than the last three years of college. I really enjoy what I do and I'm on a great team.

Frankly I don't have any major complaints. There are small annoyances here and there but generally speaking I can't think of a single big thing I dislike about UP.

Show up on time, don't take a ridiculous amount of days off, be proactive in learning about the new technologies that you use.

Advice to Management

I'm extremely happy with the team I'm on. It's very well managed and I have no complaints.

Being as it was three years ago I don't really recall many specifics. I initially came on as a high school intern so they didn't really drill me with tough questions. I know they asked me how well I worked with other people, but that's about all I can think of right now.