Intern at Union Pacific Intern Program Year Round? Submit a Review

Wonderful way to grow and learn.

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility for school, its paid, wonderful people to work with, the work you do really matters.

I wish we didn't have to pay for parking downtown.

if you are looking for a job that you can just clock in and then clock out and that's it, this company isn't for you. Employee engagement is a major thing here. Being involved is necessary and very rewarding too.

As long as you like to work hard, Union Pacific can take you to soaring heights.

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent pay. Excellent managers and employee base. Good full-time prospects. Excellent corporate experience.

There are many layers of abstraction in a large corporation. Not a lot of control or insight into other departments and areas outside of your own. Internship tends to develop a set of specific skills that may not be useful in other positions.

Union Pacific is a big company full of passionate employees that work hard and see things through to completion. It is a serious, results-oriented environment with very little patience for messing around. If this does not align with your ideals, you are wasting your time.

Advice to Management

Try to get interns more involved in higher-level discussions. Find out the skillset of your interns and tailor their work towards developing their abilities.

How long do you see yourself working for this company? What are your future plans? What are you passionate about? What is your biggest weakness?

A nice experience of a full-time job that helps and puts your school first.

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

They put school first and want us to succeed in our degree instead of focus on work.

I like that they will work us full time during the summer and our hours are very flexible with our school

UP cares about their employees and wants their success. They are very school driven and want their interns to succeed it school.

Advice to Management

Pay could be a little more considering we are doing the work of full timers.

Basic IT Related questions as well as strengths and weaknesses.

Cool Job

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fellow interns and learning opportunities

The periods of time where there isn't work

Ask questions

Advice to Management

Be more involved

Hands on experience with a company that cares

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I work on actual projects with the team.

It is a time consuming commitment.

Research what the company does. Union Pacific has many opportunities, and it would be beneficial to know what area you want to go into beforehand.

Advice to Management

I think more job-specific training would be helpful as opposed to learn as you go, but other teams operate differently, so some of them probably have training like this.

They asked about my interest in the company. They asked about my knowledge in the field I was applying for. They asked about what type of work I would prefer to do. They also asked regular interview questions, like strengths and weaknesses.

Challenging and exciting

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to learn so many things in such a short amount of time

I enjoyed the inclusivity of being involved in department wide projects. It made the interns feel like they were valued and appreciated.

I think it would be helpful to stress the fact that it is much harder to get a full time position here than an internship

Advice to Management

Employee retention and compensation. They have been on a hiring freeze for quite some time now and continue to increase the work load while downsizing the employee population

Since you do not have a 4.0 GPA, please tell me about your hardest class you have taken in college and what you did to overcome that challenge.

This is Good

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being a part of office culture has made me a better professional. I also learned many researching skills, as well as oral and written communication.

Sitting at a desk for forty hours a week can get a little dull.

Don't be nervous, it is a very casual work environment and the people here are extremely helpful.

What is an example of a time you used your analytical skills to solve a complex problem?

I got the opportunity to develop software that made a difference for the company and my team.

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work is real. The company treats their interns extremely well.

Sometimes the work load was a little much.

I would recommend checking out this company before any others.

Advice to Management

I would like to see laptops provided to interns to do more mobile work instead of working in a cubicle.

Real-world experience.

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking within the corporation and getting a feel for corporate America.

Many of my projects are completed very quickly or are very repetitive. I am usually bored or feel as though I am not doing anything.

I wish I would have known how unstructured the intern position is on a daily basis. It really is like real life- you are responsible for coming up with your own ways to manage your time.

Wonderful place and group to work with, nice cultural and diversity to enjoy, great projects to work with

Omaha, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

work with projects individuals and collaborate with staffs in the group or other team, which are great.
collaboration and teamwork is really awesome. There are some many programs or workshop about how to improve and equip intern for future job, which is awesome.

I don't have much to say about this item.

It is a great opportunity for college students (undergraduate or graduate), which will bring you to a high level and be prepared for professional career.

tell us about your self and how do you like this job.