Intern at Union Pacific Intern Program Year Round? Submit a Review

This is the best internship experience in America!

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Stimulating work, excellent work experience, nurturing work atmosphere, friendly and helpful coworkers, and great pay!

There were no cons to this intership.

If you are a hard and honest worker who likes to be challenged by your work and constantly be learning new information on a daily-basis, Union Pacific is the ideal choice.

Advice to Management

Management has been helpful, fair, and understanding in every aspect of my experience as an intern at Union Pacific.

A good learning experience

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best parts are learning about the professional environment, getting a better understanding of my field, and forming bonds with coworkers.

Having to have better time management because of going to school as well.

No opinion.

Worlds Best Internship

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The money, pay, and ethic

The will not pay for my schooling.

Learn the railroad

What can I code

Advice to Management

Pay for my schooling

"An internship of networking, learning, and the best step to becoming a corporate pilot"

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of my internship is the company willingness to let me be involved in all parts of the department so I am able to expand my knowledge about aviation. Union Pacific has put forth great effort to help me learn and network with other professionals in the field. I also appreciate the type of people that work in this company. I work with some of the best industry professionals in the world that are more than happy to help me put my foot in the door to becoming a professional pilot. Very few college students enjoy their job but I am a lucky one that can say she looks forward to going to work everday.

What I like least about my internship is that I am either so busy or have very little to do. That is something that the aviation industry faces as a whole.

This company gives employees many opportunites, make sure you take full advantage of this. If you put forth a lot of effort into your job, the company is good at realizing this and is sure to show their appreciation.

Very great experience. Learning something new every day

Flexible hours with school

Treated like a full time employee

Do "real" work

Able to apply what I learn here at work to my school work and vice-versa

I do not have any negatives regarding my internship

Take advantage of all the learning opportunities provided to you

Be a good listener

A great experience to sharpen your programming skills and be affiliated with experienced developers and have compensation for your time.

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the different software tools I've been able to use. I never had a lot of experience with spring or web services before I was here so it's awesome to start messing with those things.

I don't like that Union Pacific is not open over the weekend. As a student I like to reserve most my time for the week for school and the weekend for work, but they're so flexable with your schedule it works out.

The only thing I was worried about was the level of programming competency that I started with. I found out their expectations for entry level programmers is completely reasonable. They help you elevate your skills on the job.

What projects have you worked on?

What classes have you taken?

We talked a little about ORM tools and hadoop as well.

Advice to Management

I would consider using agile project management methodologies. I heard that agile methodologies can yield a better result than scrum.

The most innovative experience/Job for a college student

Hours

Training/Classes

Knowledge

Work environment

Delay to start work

Work hard, study, and put yourself out there and people will notice you.

Experience of a Lifetime

Networking

Nothing was bad

Network with everyone

Tell me about a time when you were confronted with an issue and how did you handle it.

Advice to Management

More flexible hours.

Challenging and self-motivating on your time

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

money, exposure to multiple departments, the people

Sitting in a cubicle all day

If you want exposure to every aspect of business and have the opportunity to figure out where you want to belong and have the opportunity to be placed anywhere you want, choose Union Pacific.

Union Pacific is the place to be, Great People, Great Experiences, and Great Opportunities

- Training

- Flexible Hours

- Great Pay

- School Remains as Top Priority

- Great Benefits

- Friendly Co-Workers

- Teamwork

- Real World Problems/Solutions

- Reasonable Expectations - they don't expect you to know everything and they are happy to answer questions.\

- The first week of work can be overwhelming because of all the information you are given.

- Be Punctual - always show up on time to work, meetings, getting back from lunch.

- Be Polite - a please and thank you can go a long way in this company.

- Be Presentable - They have a dress code and it is enforced, but it''s not unreasonable

- Be Personable - Don't be afraid to talk to people, networking can be a great skill to have.

- Be Professional - Believe it or not your manager is not the only person that takes notice of you.

- Be Positive - A positive can-do attitude shows your boss that you care about the job and you're not just wasting their time.

- Participate - There are many different activities sponsored by UP for their interns to participate in. They are fun and a great way to network!

- Have Pride - Your work is your own, be proud of it and own it!

- Be Humble - You don't know everything, no one does if you have information that's useful make it common knowledge.

- ASK QUESTIONS - You're an intern they do not expect you to have mastered your field. It's better to ask a question than to sit at your desk and twiddle your thumbs

Most important of all...

- Have Fun - You're work experience is what you make it. There is no reason you can not work hard but still have fun. Now is the time to make mistakes and get messy. That's how you learn, your manager expects you to make mistakes don't be afraid. Be open to change and make the best of it.

That is all the advice I can give you, your experience is yours and yours alone to make the best or worst time of your life.

I cannot provide any as interview questions are very specific to each department, as well as each team.

Advice to Management

It would help the interns more if the first day was not so intense. It's a lot of information to take in and it's kinda like pouring water on a saturated sponge.