Intern at Union Pacific Intern Program Year Round? Submit a Review

Project managemnt and human relations applications in IT

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

My favorite thing about the position are the people I work with. My team, and the students, are fun to work with. I also enjoy being able to learn the skills expected of a developer at UP.

It is sometimes difficult finding pertinent tasks to work on.

My best advice is to expect a lot of interaction with people and expect to support your team and students with their needs.

Excellent Internship Opportunity

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility is awesome along with extremely competitive pay. Union Pacific is also a large company that will expose you to a wide variety of industries in one position.

There can be spouts of significant down time where you have to look for tedious tasks to keep busy.

Union Pacific is a great company. They take excellent care of their employees.

My manager and team are incredibly helpful.

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

My boss is amazing and truly cares about me as an individual as well as letting me ask questions and do things that are outside my realm.

The Railroad taxes that interns see no benefit to.

They would have to look at time spent for this employer. The benefit comes to light after decades.

Advice to Management

I think something that would make this company better is to offer more team gathering days or luncheons.

What is your favorite movie?

Opportunity that helped me develop my business and technical skills while being surrounded by a professional environment.

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with and the new skills I learned (SQL Server).

How I have to go out of my way to find work to do, sometimes I have to claw through the day just to be busy enough.

Understand that the company culture here is the same in all departments. People are very welcoming and friendly and willing to help you with whatever you may need while pushing you to grow as a leader.

Advice to Management

More SQL training classes.

Name a time where you faced adversity and overcame it.

Building experience with a company who wants you to succeed.

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects I had to do were meaningful for the company. I liked the real world job experience that I need for when I finish college.

There isn't anything.

This is a great oppurtunity for expanding your knowlege and putting your major to use. This is a great internship.

Advice to Management

Sometimes, more training classes for new technology that comes out could be benefial so everyone is on the same page and are using the same standards.

One of the most rewarding and influential experience of my life

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking with other departments to see what I want to do with my career long term

Not much - Sometimes bored with a tedious task or something like that.

If you would like to manage people in your career someday, work for the Railroad. - Because the chance that you will be a manager is high unless all you want to do is labor for the rest of your life. Which you cant do because you'll be old soon Am I Rite???

Advice to Management

None - Maybe treat us like real employees. We (interns) can take the heat!

I dont remember the interview from a year ago. I'm sure it was the typical crap like: "Give examples of the opposition you've faced while working with others in a group setting," or "Tell us about your experiences managing other workers," or something similar.

The Rehearsal Dinner of Corporate Life

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay is good, got to complete REAL work and interact with other departments, outside contractors, customers, city reps, etc. The people are AWESOME, management is great, good perks, and I actually feel prepared for the real work world.

Paying for downtown parking is a pain in the butt, and mornings aren't really my thing so 8 am was rough. But its hard to call those 'cons' because that's life :/

Prepare for a panel (3+) interview, come with an open mind - I thought I knew what this internship experience was going to be like before I even stepped in the door but its MUCH different, and much better! Ask a lot of questions - they like that!

Advice to Management

PTO for year round interns would be an AWESOME benefit, some kind of parking discount or voucher (were poor college kids), a raise every 6 months/year as incentive (not just based on year in school).

Name a situation when: ___________________________

-You overcame an obstacle?

-You took lead on a project? What happened?

-You improved a process?

If you want a path towards a dream career, Union Pacific will pave the way towards that goal.

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the Internship is constantly learning new skills that will benefit me later in life. Certain skills like learning new Code languages or general business functions, these will always keep an impact in my career.

There is not much of a connection from higher level management to their employees.

Work hard and take every opportunity that is offered to you, the internship in Union Pacific is all about giving you a chance to make a name for yourself. The more exposure to different projects and people, the better the chances of a career.

Advice to Management

Connect with your employees and remind them that what they do is extremely beneficial.

Where do you see yourself after college, are there any career goals?

Student Earns Valuable Networking Experience

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The chance to almost immediately learn while being hands-on with servers and devices used by the company every day. My team wants me to work on projects that are challenging but manageable for my skill and knowledge level with the material I'm working with, and are more than willing to help me learn and complete the tasks I'm given.

A lack of understanding was, at first, very difficult. Many of the concepts that are at work are tough to understand at first, and can be stressful to know that my work can affect the work of many others very easily if done incorrectly.

I have very much appreciated my time so far with Union Pacific. An opportunity to work with and learn with so many talented professionals is great. Even if you don't plan on staying in Omaha, this company is willing to work with you if you'd like to move around, be it departments or cities.

Lots of hands on experience that can be used in the future. Calm, unstressful environment.

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to work at our own pace and to choose our own hours. The work provides great experience for use in the future. Management is very friendly and understanding. Breaks can be taken when needed. Personally, I enjoy the type of job where the work is (so-to-speak) at your own pace.

Quality of work environment, available space. Work space is more dirty/dusty than I'd prefer, especially when we're asked to dress up fairly nicely on a day-to-day basis (dress code calls for collared shirt and jeans, along with steel-toe boots).

Be prepared to pay close attention; there is an extreme amount of on-the-job training and info that you'll need to acquire to be proficient at this position. Some previous knowledge involving introductory software development also helps, but is not necessary. Be prepared, also, to dress nicely to work in an environment where you may rip your shirt (ex.: you'll be working around lots of (literally) sharp corners, I've torn a couple shirts just doing day-to-day tasks).

Advice to Management

I'd like a relaxation of the dress code (only slightly, maybe allow for nice T-Shirts w/o graphic designs, for instance; boots and jeans are understandable and appropriate) as well as a larger work area. Desk/work space in my department is very limited (other departments have more space, but our department is a newer addition and developments are still being made by the day to the workflow processes.

I don't remember too many; lots of the questions involved educational plans (it's hard to be hired if you're older than a junior in college, just due to the lack of time you'll have on the job before you graduate). There will be a few questions involving your technical knowledge and the rest will be common interview questions (ex.: what's an example of you working in a group to solve a problem, yada yada)...