Union Pacific Intern Program Year Round

VAULT RANKINGS >> #47 Best Overall Internships

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 166 Intern Reviews)

Endless Opportunities
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Environment, Co-workers and the operations behind the railroad

I've yet to find one thing I dislike about working here.

Union Pacific is a great company to work for and has plenty of opportunities for interns as well as educational programs. The hands on training is exceptional and everyone is here to help you along the way. At the end of my intern program I hope to land a job working as a full-time employee!

"An internship of networking, learning, and the best step to becoming a corporate pilot"
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of my internship is the company willingness to let me be involved in all parts of the department so I am able to expand my knowledge about aviation. Union Pacific has put forth great effort to help me learn and network with other professionals in the field. I also appreciate the type of people that work in this company. I work with some of the best industry professionals in the world that are more than happy to help me put my foot in the door to becoming a professional pilot. Very few college students enjoy their job but I am a lucky one that can say she looks forward to going to work everday.

What I like least about my internship is that I am either so busy or have very little to do. That is something that the aviation industry faces as a whole.

This company gives employees many opportunites, make sure you take full advantage of this. If you put forth a lot of effort into your job, the company is good at realizing this and is sure to show their appreciation.

This is the best internship experience in America!
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Stimulating work, excellent work experience, nurturing work atmosphere, friendly and helpful coworkers, and great pay!

There were no cons to this intership.

If you are a hard and honest worker who likes to be challenged by your work and constantly be learning new information on a daily-basis, Union Pacific is the ideal choice.

Advice to Management

Management has been helpful, fair, and understanding in every aspect of my experience as an intern at Union Pacific.

Worlds Best Internship
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The money, pay, and ethic

The will not pay for my schooling.

Learn the railroad

What can I code

Advice to Management

Pay for my schooling

Experience of a Lifetime

Networking

Nothing was bad

Network with everyone

Tell me about a time when you were confronted with an issue and how did you handle it.

Advice to Management

More flexible hours.

A great experience to sharpen your programming skills and be affiliated with experienced developers and have compensation for your time.
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the different software tools I've been able to use. I never had a lot of experience with spring or web services before I was here so it's awesome to start messing with those things.

I don't like that Union Pacific is not open over the weekend. As a student I like to reserve most my time for the week for school and the weekend for work, but they're so flexable with your schedule it works out.

The only thing I was worried about was the level of programming competency that I started with. I found out their expectations for entry level programmers is completely reasonable. They help you elevate your skills on the job.

What projects have you worked on?

What classes have you taken?

We talked a little about ORM tools and hadoop as well.

Advice to Management

I would consider using agile project management methodologies. I heard that agile methodologies can yield a better result than scrum.

Very great experience. Learning something new every day

Flexible hours with school

Treated like a full time employee

Do "real" work

Able to apply what I learn here at work to my school work and vice-versa

I do not have any negatives regarding my internship

Take advantage of all the learning opportunities provided to you

Be a good listener

A Valuable, Life Experience
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment and being able to acquire new knowledge every day

There has been nothing wrong

It is a valuable experience

A great opportunity to network, develop your skills, learn the systems, and prepare yourself for a full time M&S Position.
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

In the position I work, I get to interact with employees from every level in M&S. Through working M&S Support, I have gained a vast amount of knowledge in our applications, and developed a large network of references. Above all the team I work with (RIM) has been great. They are always there to assist with anything you need, and provide a lot of opportunity to learn more. This internship deserves an A+. Also, my supervisor has been there a lot of help in the application process. If someone wanted to learn about M&S, this is the place to do it.

There isn't a set plan for what happens after your internship.

I'll keep it simple. Union Pacific provides a unique package that most employers can never offer you. Betwwen RR Retirement and the UP Pension, you are getting a hech of a deal if hired full time. They will take care of you forever, so long as you do the work. This internship gives you a foot in the door to build your network and earn a full-time position.

Tell me of a time when you had to make a tough decision. Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.

Advice to Management

I'll touch a little on each.

Compensation: The pay at Union Pacific is great. Nothing needs to change here.

Hours: As an intern, I was unable to get more than 22 hours at UP due to me being in school. I was told that this is designed so work doesn't affect my studies. However, in one past Spring semester I worked 40 hours and took 19 credits in school (12 is Full-Time) and earned a 3.65 GPA. Obviously my studies were not affected. I feel the rule would be better written to state that interns are not required to work more than 22 hours per week instead of not allowed.

Employee Retention: No complaints.

Promotion Policies: No complaints.

Diversity: We are a very diverse company A+.

Training: There is a lot of opportunity for training A+.

Great!
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am exposed to many other departments. I am able to apply my education.

I would like to have more time with my manager.

Be computer efficient in Excel etc.

Tell us about yourself using your resume.