APCO Worldwide North America Internships

College student works with high-level individuals at Public Relations Firm

The opportunity to meet such high-level individuals such as ex-ambassadors and congressman. The opportunity of working in the CEO's office allowed me to meet some very influential and interesting people. The work, for the most part, was engaging and interesting and not simply "intern-type" tasks.

Unstable stream of work. When CEO was out work was slow but when she was back, workload increased exponentially.

Go out of your way to meet as many people as you can. Those connections are easy to make and are priceless.

Date: 2013

Awesome summer, learned so much. It was such a great opportunity because APCO allows interns to get experience in all parts of the industry

They allowed us to work on clients, and do things of importance. They utilized us and treated us as if we were fellow employees, which not only made me feel important but it made me feel empowered. They encouraged us to get involved and I really really liked that. The pitch competition was amazing, it allowed us each to acquire skills that are required in the PR industry. I also really enjoyed how the intern positions are all different. You have two or three other interns you work with in your department. This created a very healthy environment between the interns. It would be only natural to see each other as competition, but there was no room for it because we were all working on entirely different projects and clients.

Honestly, cannot think of anything at the moment. Sorry!! I loved everything about it.

Get your hands on as many projects as you can! The more experience the better.

Date: 2013

Get paid to do what you love in a fantastic environment.

Case Study Competition, Pitch Competition, helpful coworkers, amazing environment, constructive feedback

lack of direction, littler interaction with other interns

Do not be afraid to ask questions, everyone is always willing to make an effort to assist you. Also, proofread everything.

Date: 2013

Learned so much about the industry and gained so much great work experience

The other interns and the attention and respect given to you by your superiors. I also really enjoyed the wide variety of assignments given to interns and the amount of trust interns could earn by completing high quality work.

They pay could have been more competitive.

APCO is a great company to work for and interning there is an awesome experience even if you are not a PR major. Everyone is very intelligent and will teach you the ropes. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the job and demonstrate your interest in the position.

Advice to Management

I would maybe have more intern bonding activities and APCO sponsored ways for us to get to know eachother.

Learning by doing: Everyday APCO

Fast paced environment, independence, availability and variety of assignments, valuable insight into the PR industry

The work environment is so large and hectic that the experience doesn't feel as "personal" as I might have liked.

Be able to think on your feet and always stay tuned into current events/the topics you follow in the media for clients, maintain organization and strong attention to detail in your work

Advice to Management

Provide more meaningful interactions/shadowing opportunities with senior-level management, be open to collaboration/insight from interns on some assignments, avoid pressuring interns into working overtime without compensation (make overtime pay policy more accessible for use)

Date: 2013

Interesting work, good pay, and an enjoyable experience.

Friendly co-workers, interesting assignments, and exciting networking opportunities.

Unclear paths to full-time opportunities.

This is a very hardworking an energetic team that pools resources from across the company for any given project.

Advice to Management

Interns could use updated computers.

Date: 2013

Strategic learning opportunity with a top tier firm

Working on real client work that was valued and utilized

Nothing stood out

Strong communication, writing and ability to work on a deadline is essential.

Advice to Management

For a duration of the program, there were two high school students participating in the internship. They were paid $10 an hour. However, college and graduate students were being paid $11 per hour. I think the difference should be considered.

Rudimentary

There was great access to senior members of the team. The client list was impressive, meaning I got to do a lot with foreign clients that I would otherwise not have access to.

I wasn't utilized to my full capacity.

It's the role of the intern to be willing, capable and eager. It is the role of senior management to recognize when an interns capabilities exceed the regular requirements of the role.

Advice to Management

The compensation was abysmal; but more than a lack of compensation I did not feel stimulated or challenged.