Merck Future Talent Program

Learning while Producing: Enhancing prescriptions one step at a time!
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helpful and motiviating team, flexible hours, outside volunteer outing , avalibility to learn so many new things, clean and workable space.

No outside events with other interns.

If given the oppurtunity take it, It is truly an amazing expierence.

Great Summer Internship Experience
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay and the experience gained.

Sometimes I would be assigned meaningless work.

Merck is a great place to work.

Merck: Being a part of something bigger, where everyones' actions make a difference.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The most remarkable aspect I would have to say was exposure. I learned so much more in these past 4 months than both of my previous co-ops combined. I met so many people who were so happy to teach me their expertise. I have gained such insight into manufacturing as a whole, as well as specific knowledge of barrer operations production line. By working in automation, I was able to understand the workings of production from the binary bits in the programming logic, all the way through to production, and seeing the various cycles in motion. I also cherish the sense of responsibility and accountability I gained in this experience. I have learned to take all of my work very seroiusly, and I know just what it means when I put my initials on something. It's hard to pinpoint the best aspects for me personally, because I feel like I have gained such a colorful variety of experiences.

I don't regret anything that I experienced here thus far, as I have learned so much about working in general. The only disfavorable aspect I've experienced was just the stress of shutdown. It was very important to be timely and accurate in all that we were doing, which sometimes created a very tense work environment. However, I don't believe it was unrealistic, and the experience was certainly a valuable one for me.

Merck, as a whole, works towards a very important goal. If you want to join the team, you should want to be involved, take on responsibility, and truly understand the ethics and standards of conduct in whatever area you may support. If you understand the ideals and are interested in pursuing the goals of the company, I expect that you will find your internship here greatly rewarding.

Advice to Management

I felt that management did a great job in all of the categories listed. Something that I thought of though, in my first month, was that maybe (especially for summer interns) some of the trainings could be available online before the student's start date. As a 6 months co-op, my few weeks of training didn't take up a huge portion of my total stay, but I believe I could have benefited from being able to do some of my trainings prior to my first day of work.

Amazing people, awesome place
Omaha, NE | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people who taught me and worked with me, as well as getting back in the lab and doing actual relevant work that has an impact on end-users.

I lived 49.8 miles away from work, and thus did not get the gas stipend. However, this is/was a minor thing and has nothing to do with the Elkhorn site. The staff here worked very hard for and with me to get this fixed.

Don't hold back as an intern; ask questions if you need it. People here at the Elkhorn site are the kind of people who I would call friends and the same people are more than willing to answer a few questions.

Advice to Management

I have no issues with compensation, hours, employee retention, promotion policies, diversity or training. The people who I had/have the pleasure of working with seem to really enjoy their job and it shows, I think.

UNL needs to do a better job of getting you down to the Engineering Career fairs, held biannually.

Interns can collect and analyze meaningful data in short periods of time.
West Point, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Information I gathered will actually be useful for the company. Every person I talked to was nice, welcoming, and willing to talk at any time. The hours were adjustable to fit what was most convenient for me. Interns were treated more like company employees than "interns".

Getting through all the training at the beginning of the internship was a bit tiring, although a large majority of it was clearly necessary. After the second week this was no longer a problem.

There are many different opportunities at this company; people in different departments have completely different projects. If you have an idea of what you want to be working on, Merck will most likely be able to match you to a project that fits your interests.

Advice to Management

The housing stipend did not cover a large portion of the amount I had to pay to live in the area. More than half of the money I earned went towards housing costs (not including things such as food, etc).

Meaningful engineering experience
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands-on and great training on instruments

Supporting multiple projects and working with different lead engineers

Exposure to different aspect of company

Family like environment (the department eats lunch together)

Lack of access to use certain instruments.

Be open to learning and be comfortable multitasking since you will have to support multiple projects

Advice to Management

Continue on this path of great management. It works!

One of the greatest opportunites I've had to gain invaluable experience
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being friends with all the other interns.

I felt 10 weeks was a little too long.

It's a company that gives you opportunites in almost any area of work.

Excellent data analysis and process improvement opportunity
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager provided a great positive environment

The commute from home was rather far

Rewarding experience

Advice to Management

Provide designated housing for the interns

Great Summer Reseach Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexability in hours and opportunity to learn or take over on several projects.

Sometimes it was hurry up and wait as far as getting things done, which isn't necessarily bad. It just takes some gettin gused to.

Great opportunity for anyone interested in reasearch in the animal health field.

Intern at pharmaceutical process development and analysis
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The professional environment, insight in how the company operates and the people's attitude, they were very warm and welcoming.

The unnecessary bureaucracy to obtain equipment and documents. Too many signatures required to obtain miscellaneous items.

Have a very positive attitude, willing to stay extra hours in some shifts.

Advice to Management

Communication between LPO and NJ sites regarding on logistics about accommodating students in their respective areas of work.