Merck Future Talent Program

Merck: Being a part of something bigger, where everyones' actions make a difference.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The most remarkable aspect I would have to say was exposure. I learned so much more in these past 4 months than both of my previous co-ops combined. I met so many people who were so happy to teach me their expertise. I have gained such insight into manufacturing as a whole, as well as specific knowledge of barrer operations production line. By working in automation, I was able to understand the workings of production from the binary bits in the programming logic, all the way through to production, and seeing the various cycles in motion. I also cherish the sense of responsibility and accountability I gained in this experience. I have learned to take all of my work very seroiusly, and I know just what it means when I put my initials on something. It's hard to pinpoint the best aspects for me personally, because I feel like I have gained such a colorful variety of experiences.

I don't regret anything that I experienced here thus far, as I have learned so much about working in general. The only disfavorable aspect I've experienced was just the stress of shutdown. It was very important to be timely and accurate in all that we were doing, which sometimes created a very tense work environment. However, I don't believe it was unrealistic, and the experience was certainly a valuable one for me.

Merck, as a whole, works towards a very important goal. If you want to join the team, you should want to be involved, take on responsibility, and truly understand the ethics and standards of conduct in whatever area you may support. If you understand the ideals and are interested in pursuing the goals of the company, I expect that you will find your internship here greatly rewarding.

Advice to Management

I felt that management did a great job in all of the categories listed. Something that I thought of though, in my first month, was that maybe (especially for summer interns) some of the trainings could be available online before the student's start date. As a 6 months co-op, my few weeks of training didn't take up a huge portion of my total stay, but I believe I could have benefited from being able to do some of my trainings prior to my first day of work.

Great Summer Internship Experience
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay and the experience gained.

Sometimes I would be assigned meaningless work.

Merck is a great place to work.

Pharmaceutical Analysts have it tough.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was able to work in a professional environment. Obtained a fairly decent amount of Laboratory experience. Able to make a lot of connections and obtain contact information with employees.

At the beginning of the internship, there was a lot of time lost by waiting to be integrated into the system.

Hardship builds character, and eveything is a learning experience.

Advice to Management

Include more in the pre-internship checklist to help integrate the interns into the system faster.

New Experiences Never in Shortage at Merck
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get a real hands-on, technical project that you can really learn a lot from. The people here are always very friendly and knowledgeable, and more than willing to help you learn and develop. There are also many resources provided by Merck to help you do so (i.e. trainings, events, etc.).

I interned last year and one change in the program I did not like was that it was harder for the interns to be housed together with the stipend system. The stipend is also barely enough to cover both housing and transportation after taxes are deducted, especially if you are housed in the recommended hotels. Another suggestion is to provide better recommendations/resources for finding housing to interns. Only hotels were recommended to us this year, and they are not very affordable even with the complimentary breakfasts and shuttle, especially for college students.

Think about whether you can imagine yourself in the industry for many years -- whether you can see yourself growing here and whether you can be passionate about what you do. Also evaluate the people/environment, amount of travel, and available locations if those are of importance to you.

Learning while Producing: Enhancing prescriptions one step at a time!
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helpful and motiviating team, flexible hours, outside volunteer outing , avalibility to learn so many new things, clean and workable space.

No outside events with other interns.

If given the oppurtunity take it, It is truly an amazing expierence.

One of the greatest opportunites I've had to gain invaluable experience
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being friends with all the other interns.

I felt 10 weeks was a little too long.

It's a company that gives you opportunites in almost any area of work.

Excellent data analysis and process improvement opportunity
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager provided a great positive environment

The commute from home was rather far

Rewarding experience

Advice to Management

Provide designated housing for the interns

Awesome
Durham, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with experienced people.

Working in various aspects.

Merck runs based on the rules and regulations which is really needed for a pharma company. And they keep everything clean respect the newcomers and encourage the future talent.

Meaningful engineering experience
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands-on and great training on instruments

Supporting multiple projects and working with different lead engineers

Exposure to different aspect of company

Family like environment (the department eats lunch together)

Lack of access to use certain instruments.

Be open to learning and be comfortable multitasking since you will have to support multiple projects

Advice to Management

Continue on this path of great management. It works!

Intern at pharmaceutical process development and analysis
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The professional environment, insight in how the company operates and the people's attitude, they were very warm and welcoming.

The unnecessary bureaucracy to obtain equipment and documents. Too many signatures required to obtain miscellaneous items.

Have a very positive attitude, willing to stay extra hours in some shifts.

Advice to Management

Communication between LPO and NJ sites regarding on logistics about accommodating students in their respective areas of work.