Merck Future Talent Program

4.2 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 154 Intern Reviews)

Intern at pharmaceutical process development and analysis
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The professional environment, insight in how the company operates and the people's attitude, they were very warm and welcoming.

The unnecessary bureaucracy to obtain equipment and documents. Too many signatures required to obtain miscellaneous items.

Have a very positive attitude, willing to stay extra hours in some shifts.

Advice to Management

Communication between LPO and NJ sites regarding on logistics about accommodating students in their respective areas of work.

Pharmaceutical Analysts have it tough.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was able to work in a professional environment. Obtained a fairly decent amount of Laboratory experience. Able to make a lot of connections and obtain contact information with employees.

At the beginning of the internship, there was a lot of time lost by waiting to be integrated into the system.

Hardship builds character, and eveything is a learning experience.

Advice to Management

Include more in the pre-internship checklist to help integrate the interns into the system faster.

Great Summer Reseach Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexability in hours and opportunity to learn or take over on several projects.

Sometimes it was hurry up and wait as far as getting things done, which isn't necessarily bad. It just takes some gettin gused to.

Great opportunity for anyone interested in reasearch in the animal health field.

Awesome
Durham, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with experienced people.

Working in various aspects.

Merck runs based on the rules and regulations which is really needed for a pharma company. And they keep everything clean respect the newcomers and encourage the future talent.

Learning while Producing: Improving the quality of prescriptions one step at a time
Morristown, NJ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning many valuable techniques which will enhance my applications for graduate schools, Increasing knowledge and gaining new knowledge, being surrounded by a motivating and helpful team (Manager, mentors and other scientist)

Legnth of time to do such an extensive project and no outside functions or planned outings.

This is a great oppurtunity and chance to learn so many new, and different things. If you have the oppurtunity go for it! One of the best choices I have made!

Advice to Management

Great organization!

New Experiences Never in Shortage at Merck
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get a real hands-on, technical project that you can really learn a lot from. The people here are always very friendly and knowledgeable, and more than willing to help you learn and develop. There are also many resources provided by Merck to help you do so (i.e. trainings, events, etc.).

I interned last year and one change in the program I did not like was that it was harder for the interns to be housed together with the stipend system. The stipend is also barely enough to cover both housing and transportation after taxes are deducted, especially if you are housed in the recommended hotels. Another suggestion is to provide better recommendations/resources for finding housing to interns. Only hotels were recommended to us this year, and they are not very affordable even with the complimentary breakfasts and shuttle, especially for college students.

Think about whether you can imagine yourself in the industry for many years -- whether you can see yourself growing here and whether you can be passionate about what you do. Also evaluate the people/environment, amount of travel, and available locations if those are of importance to you.

Meaningful engineering experience
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands-on and great training on instruments

Supporting multiple projects and working with different lead engineers

Exposure to different aspect of company

Family like environment (the department eats lunch together)

Lack of access to use certain instruments.

Be open to learning and be comfortable multitasking since you will have to support multiple projects

Advice to Management

Continue on this path of great management. It works!

Excellent data analysis and process improvement opportunity
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager provided a great positive environment

The commute from home was rather far

Rewarding experience

Advice to Management

Provide designated housing for the interns

First hand experience of how the industry of animal research works.
Omaha, NE | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

That I was able to talk to people that work in the industry of producing animal vaccines from research and learning from them.

Nothing. I liked everything about this internship.

Based on my experiences working at Merck Animal Health, I have seen that the people that work here are very amiable and knowledgeable. They were always open to collaborating ideas and willing to give me guidance if I needed it.

Advice to Management

This internship was really great. I am sure that a company can always improve in areas but from an intern's point of view, I have nothing to note on how to improve.

One of the greatest opportunites I've had to gain invaluable experience
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being friends with all the other interns.

I felt 10 weeks was a little too long.

It's a company that gives you opportunites in almost any area of work.