Merck Future Talent Program Internship

Date: 2013

Learning while Producing: Enhancing prescriptions one step at a time!

Helpful and motiviating team, flexible hours, outside volunteer outing , avalibility to learn so many new things, clean and workable space.

No outside events with other interns.

If given the oppurtunity take it, It is truly an amazing expierence.

Date: 2013

Pharmaceutical Analysts have it tough.

Was able to work in a professional environment. Obtained a fairly decent amount of Laboratory experience. Able to make a lot of connections and obtain contact information with employees.

At the beginning of the internship, there was a lot of time lost by waiting to be integrated into the system.

Hardship builds character, and eveything is a learning experience.

Advice to Management

Include more in the pre-internship checklist to help integrate the interns into the system faster.

New Experiences Never in Shortage at Merck

You get a real hands-on, technical project that you can really learn a lot from. The people here are always very friendly and knowledgeable, and more than willing to help you learn and develop. There are also many resources provided by Merck to help you do so (i.e. trainings, events, etc.).

I interned last year and one change in the program I did not like was that it was harder for the interns to be housed together with the stipend system. The stipend is also barely enough to cover both housing and transportation after taxes are deducted, especially if you are housed in the recommended hotels. Another suggestion is to provide better recommendations/resources for finding housing to interns. Only hotels were recommended to us this year, and they are not very affordable even with the complimentary breakfasts and shuttle, especially for college students.

Think about whether you can imagine yourself in the industry for many years -- whether you can see yourself growing here and whether you can be passionate about what you do. Also evaluate the people/environment, amount of travel, and available locations if those are of importance to you.

Date: 2013

Interns can collect and analyze meaningful data in short periods of time.

Information I gathered will actually be useful for the company. Every person I talked to was nice, welcoming, and willing to talk at any time. The hours were adjustable to fit what was most convenient for me. Interns were treated more like company employees than "interns".

Getting through all the training at the beginning of the internship was a bit tiring, although a large majority of it was clearly necessary. After the second week this was no longer a problem.

There are many different opportunities at this company; people in different departments have completely different projects. If you have an idea of what you want to be working on, Merck will most likely be able to match you to a project that fits your interests.

Advice to Management

The housing stipend did not cover a large portion of the amount I had to pay to live in the area. More than half of the money I earned went towards housing costs (not including things such as food, etc).

Date: 2013

Merck: Being a part of something bigger, where everyones' actions make a difference.

The most remarkable aspect I would have to say was exposure. I learned so much more in these past 4 months than both of my previous co-ops combined. I met so many people who were so happy to teach me their expertise. I have gained such insight into manufacturing as a whole, as well as specific knowledge of barrer operations production line. By working in automation, I was able to understand the workings of production from the binary bits in the programming logic, all the way through to production, and seeing the various cycles in motion. I also cherish the sense of responsibility and accountability I gained in this experience. I have learned to take all of my work very seroiusly, and I know just what it means when I put my initials on something. It's hard to pinpoint the best aspects for me personally, because I feel like I have gained such a colorful variety of experiences.

I don't regret anything that I experienced here thus far, as I have learned so much about working in general. The only disfavorable aspect I've experienced was just the stress of shutdown. It was very important to be timely and accurate in all that we were doing, which sometimes created a very tense work environment. However, I don't believe it was unrealistic, and the experience was certainly a valuable one for me.

Merck, as a whole, works towards a very important goal. If you want to join the team, you should want to be involved, take on responsibility, and truly understand the ethics and standards of conduct in whatever area you may support. If you understand the ideals and are interested in pursuing the goals of the company, I expect that you will find your internship here greatly rewarding.

Advice to Management

I felt that management did a great job in all of the categories listed. Something that I thought of though, in my first month, was that maybe (especially for summer interns) some of the trainings could be available online before the student's start date. As a 6 months co-op, my few weeks of training didn't take up a huge portion of my total stay, but I believe I could have benefited from being able to do some of my trainings prior to my first day of work.

Great Summer Reseach Experience

Flexability in hours and opportunity to learn or take over on several projects.

Sometimes it was hurry up and wait as far as getting things done, which isn't necessarily bad. It just takes some gettin gused to.

Great opportunity for anyone interested in reasearch in the animal health field.

Great Summer Internship Experience

The pay and the experience gained.

Sometimes I would be assigned meaningless work.

Merck is a great place to work.

Date: 2013

Learning while Producing: Improving the quality of prescriptions one step at a time

Learning many valuable techniques which will enhance my applications for graduate schools, Increasing knowledge and gaining new knowledge, being surrounded by a motivating and helpful team (Manager, mentors and other scientist)

Legnth of time to do such an extensive project and no outside functions or planned outings.

This is a great oppurtunity and chance to learn so many new, and different things. If you have the oppurtunity go for it! One of the best choices I have made!

Advice to Management

Great organization!

Amazing people, awesome place

The people who taught me and worked with me, as well as getting back in the lab and doing actual relevant work that has an impact on end-users.

I lived 49.8 miles away from work, and thus did not get the gas stipend. However, this is/was a minor thing and has nothing to do with the Elkhorn site. The staff here worked very hard for and with me to get this fixed.

Don't hold back as an intern; ask questions if you need it. People here at the Elkhorn site are the kind of people who I would call friends and the same people are more than willing to answer a few questions.

Advice to Management

I have no issues with compensation, hours, employee retention, promotion policies, diversity or training. The people who I had/have the pleasure of working with seem to really enjoy their job and it shows, I think. UNL needs to do a better job of getting you down to the Engineering Career fairs, held biannually.

Date: 2013

First hand experience of how the industry of animal research works.

That I was able to talk to people that work in the industry of producing animal vaccines from research and learning from them.

Nothing. I liked everything about this internship.

Based on my experiences working at Merck Animal Health, I have seen that the people that work here are very amiable and knowledgeable. They were always open to collaborating ideas and willing to give me guidance if I needed it.

Advice to Management

This internship was really great. I am sure that a company can always improve in areas but from an intern's point of view, I have nothing to note on how to improve.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)