Intern at Merck Future Talent Program? Submit a Review

Merck: Being a part of something bigger, where everyones' actions make a difference.

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The most remarkable aspect I would have to say was exposure. I learned so much more in these past 4 months than both of my previous co-ops combined. I met so many people who were so happy to teach me their expertise. I have gained such insight into manufacturing as a whole, as well as specific knowledge of barrer operations production line. By working in automation, I was able to understand the workings of production from the binary bits in the programming logic, all the way through to production, and seeing the various cycles in motion. I also cherish the sense of responsibility and accountability I gained in this experience. I have learned to take all of my work very seroiusly, and I know just what it means when I put my initials on something. It's hard to pinpoint the best aspects for me personally, because I feel like I have gained such a colorful variety of experiences.

I don't regret anything that I experienced here thus far, as I have learned so much about working in general. The only disfavorable aspect I've experienced was just the stress of shutdown. It was very important to be timely and accurate in all that we were doing, which sometimes created a very tense work environment. However, I don't believe it was unrealistic, and the experience was certainly a valuable one for me.

Merck, as a whole, works towards a very important goal. If you want to join the team, you should want to be involved, take on responsibility, and truly understand the ethics and standards of conduct in whatever area you may support. If you understand the ideals and are interested in pursuing the goals of the company, I expect that you will find your internship here greatly rewarding.

Advice to Management

I felt that management did a great job in all of the categories listed. Something that I thought of though, in my first month, was that maybe (especially for summer interns) some of the trainings could be available online before the student's start date. As a 6 months co-op, my few weeks of training didn't take up a huge portion of my total stay, but I believe I could have benefited from being able to do some of my trainings prior to my first day of work.

Great Summer Internship Experience

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay and the experience gained.

Sometimes I would be assigned meaningless work.

Merck is a great place to work.

Pharmaceutical Analysts have it tough.

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was able to work in a professional environment. Obtained a fairly decent amount of Laboratory experience. Able to make a lot of connections and obtain contact information with employees.

At the beginning of the internship, there was a lot of time lost by waiting to be integrated into the system.

Hardship builds character, and eveything is a learning experience.

Advice to Management

Include more in the pre-internship checklist to help integrate the interns into the system faster.

Amazing people, awesome place

Omaha, NE | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people who taught me and worked with me, as well as getting back in the lab and doing actual relevant work that has an impact on end-users.

I lived 49.8 miles away from work, and thus did not get the gas stipend. However, this is/was a minor thing and has nothing to do with the Elkhorn site. The staff here worked very hard for and with me to get this fixed.

Don't hold back as an intern; ask questions if you need it. People here at the Elkhorn site are the kind of people who I would call friends and the same people are more than willing to answer a few questions.

Advice to Management

I have no issues with compensation, hours, employee retention, promotion policies, diversity or training. The people who I had/have the pleasure of working with seem to really enjoy their job and it shows, I think.

UNL needs to do a better job of getting you down to the Engineering Career fairs, held biannually.

Learning while Producing: Enhancing prescriptions one step at a time!

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helpful and motiviating team, flexible hours, outside volunteer outing , avalibility to learn so many new things, clean and workable space.

No outside events with other interns.

If given the oppurtunity take it, It is truly an amazing expierence.

Learning while Producing: Improving the quality of prescriptions one step at a time

Morristown, NJ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning many valuable techniques which will enhance my applications for graduate schools, Increasing knowledge and gaining new knowledge, being surrounded by a motivating and helpful team (Manager, mentors and other scientist)

Legnth of time to do such an extensive project and no outside functions or planned outings.

This is a great oppurtunity and chance to learn so many new, and different things. If you have the oppurtunity go for it! One of the best choices I have made!

Advice to Management

Great organization!

One of the greatest opportunites I've had to gain invaluable experience

Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being friends with all the other interns.

I felt 10 weeks was a little too long.

It's a company that gives you opportunites in almost any area of work.

Excellent data analysis and process improvement opportunity

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager provided a great positive environment

The commute from home was rather far

Rewarding experience

Advice to Management

Provide designated housing for the interns

Awesome

Durham, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with experienced people.

Working in various aspects.

Merck runs based on the rules and regulations which is really needed for a pharma company. And they keep everything clean respect the newcomers and encourage the future talent.

Meaningful engineering experience

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands-on and great training on instruments

Supporting multiple projects and working with different lead engineers

Exposure to different aspect of company

Family like environment (the department eats lunch together)

Lack of access to use certain instruments.

Be open to learning and be comfortable multitasking since you will have to support multiple projects

Advice to Management

Continue on this path of great management. It works!