Intern at Baxter Healthcare Summer Intern Program? Submit a Review

Baxter’s internship is highly ranked due to their ability to teach students

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship was the ability to meet people with the same passion, yet still working on different projects for the same end goal.

There were times where I wished I had more responsibility.

I absolutely loved the experience. It exceeded my expectations. I would say be prepared to meet new people and be open to new projects and working with people who have different backgrounds and ways of doing things.

Intern Experiences Real World Challenges, Crafts Path to Own Solutions

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Rewarding experience working on products that touch patients' lives, the projects I was assigned would have otherwise been assigned to a full time coworker. Not just busy work. Picked up many technical and business skills, pushed me outside my comfort zone.

That it ended so soon!

Baxter is a huge organization and a global player in the health care industry. Even though not a name brand still very relevant company.

Enriching and valuable work experience with a fantastic group of professionals and fellow interns all there to support you

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture of the company, including the team members and the other interns. The flexibility in the work schedule and dynamic working environment. Opportunity to network with Baxter business professionals and gain valuable industry knowledge. You get the chance to tour Baxter facilities/labs and really learn what the products developed are and how they help in saving and sustaining lives.

There was nothing I did not enjoy here.

Work on your communication skills, even before you start working you need to do this. Effective communication skills will help you make lasting connections with the people who eventually may be the ones deciding whether or not you get the job/internship/etc. Then once you are hired be prepared to establish even more relationships with your managers, supervisors, and team members.

Impact the healthcare industry

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support throughout the organization of the intern program. The level of trust placed in interns to deliver on complex assignments.

Commute from Chicago to the Deerfield suburb where the campus is located.

That the recent change in leadeship has greatly impacted the company culture. I personally feel that things are moving in a very positive direction but sometimes you will come across a process or person very set in the old ocmpany ways which can present a challenge to an intern unprepared to deal with resitance or workplace politics.

Advice to Management

Update the laptops, make new technology and software easier to obtain within in the company.

Hardware intern

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of intern events and getting hands on experience

Manager long term expectations are not clear

There's not a lot to do in the surrounding area since the city is rather far away

Baxter's internship program is a phenomenal developmental experice both professionally and personally.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the accessibility to upper level management, and open door policy to ask questions and express what you are interested in and what to learn more about, and the emphasis on development.

The pay was not as competitive and hours are essentially capped at 40 hours per week, to help though they do subsidize housing which is fantastic.

Come prepared with questions and goals in mind and they will help you along your own personal path to develop you professionally and personally.

Advice to Management

I wish hours had not been capped, there was so much more I could have done this summer if that was not an issue.

Everyone here is dedicated to "save and sustain lives" as the company mission states.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt that I had a lot of autonomy with my project (which I also found fulfilling and interesting), the team was incredibly helpful and fun to work with, the internship core HR team did an excellent job of planning weekly activities for the interns such as going to a Cubs game, networking events, and ice cream socials.

The location (Round Lake, IL) isn't the most exciting although it's only about an hour away from Chicago. And, as an electrical engineer, I wish I had gotten a more hardware-based position rather than software.

Don't be afraid to ask for help early on. It's ok to not know everything and you aren't expected to. People are more than willing to explain and help you grow technically and professionally.

Advice to Management

My supervisor gave me a few options on what I could do as my summer project and being able to choose what interested me most made me more motivated to work hard and give back to the team as much as I could this summer.

"Tell us about a time where someone else made a mistake on your team and you had to resolve things."

A wonderful opportunity to gain insights in the field and foster invaluable networking and mentorship opportunities.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to practice textbook situations in real life.
Networking and mentorship opportunities.

Not Applicable

The environment is wholesome and community focused. Please be sure to take time to network in addition to daily responsibilities.

Amazing

Lots of fun events
Lots of informative events

Some networking seemed forced

From the finance side, you need to be very comfortable speaking to all levels of employees. Also be open to asking questions and taking on new tasks

Advice to Management

Improve compensation

What are some of the things you learned from your past experiences?
Why are you interested in joining Healthcare?

Baxter provides plethora of opportunities to grow personally and professionally in a difficult but rewarding industry.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Baxter culture is very similar to a college campus atmosphere. Day one I was nervous moving to a brand new city, but it quickly felt like home. The people here are incredible; they are driven but also love to have fun. Between ping pong, mini golf, basketball and intern field trips, it’s been a blast. I wanted an experience that would redefine who I am as a teammate and as a professional and this did both. As a teammate, I worked cross-functionally with several facets of the company to achieve common goals which helped my communication skills. As a professional, I enhanced my modeling capabilities throughout various projects and day-to-day responsibilities. The best part is, I did this while waking up every morning genuinely excited to come to work because the people are so entertaining. If you don’t like to learn, don’t like to meet new people, don’t like to travel or have fun, than I hate to break it to you, but Baxter isn’t the place for you

Human Resources needs to be improved. Pay is subpar compared to similar jobs. Communication is not clear, and often delayed.

No matter how confident you feel going into an internship, there is always the worry of not knowing how to do everything asked of you, which I feared would lead to a panic mode. The truth is, you probably won’t know everything during an internship, and you shouldn’t, especially in healthcare. But that’s what this program is about, expanding your knowledge. I am very thankful that Baxter provided me with numerous resources throughout the summer to grow personally and professionally.