Intern at Abbott Internship Program? Submit a Review

Abbott is a place to grow and develop your professional business skills and become one of the leaders in your functional area.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of this internship is the quality of the work; I have been able to contribute and make a difference for the company, and I feel that the work I am doing is important to the advancement of the business. The group I have been placed in is very welcoming and easy to work with, and all of the workers at Abbott are here to ensure that I learn and do my responsibilities well.

The internship could have had more particular information provided to the interns about what goes on in the program, and that is the information should be provided sooner.

This company is great to work for and takes very good care of it's employees, and the work that you do for Abbott is very rewarding.

My internship experience was extraordinary.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Some of the best aspects of my internship was the company culture and how supportive everyone is. Everyone around me truly cares about the development in my career.

Nothing. Everything was honestly great.

Ask questions and network.

An amazing and challenging program that promotes hard work, development and professionalism.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Abbott interns are given a project that is expected to truly help the company. Being given that responsibility developes your abilities in the workplace while you learn from the professional around you. Abbott promotes being your best self and therefor teaches us to meet with executives and learn from them and to get involved in activities outside of work. I grew in every aspect of my life this summer because of that.

There isn't anything bad to say. If I had to pick one thing, being away from my home and friends is challenging.

This internship goes beyond the work. I am so proud to say I have interned at Abbott. To me that means I was in a program that gave me access to some of the most successful individuals in there field, that I was taught how to act in a business setting and that I made an impact on a big company. Abbott cares deeply about their interns and you will grow and learn so much in the 12 weeks you are working.

An opportunity to grow, develop, and network in your professional and personal lives.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking opportunities and chances to meet with the leadership team. The compensation and benefits of working for Abbott were amazing. The company ensured we we were taken care of and treated well. The ability to add value to real and meaningful work allowed me to have a sense of belonging and importance

Having two different bosses made prioritizing difficult at times. Both bosses have different ways of communicating and expectations, and having more tools to adhere to those different expeditions earlier on would have been helpful for an even more productive summer.

I wish I would have more Do's and Don'ts of the office so the adjustment was smoother

Advice to Management

When asked for feedback on my performance, provide feedback. Being told to ask my other boss doesn't necessarily help when this particular boss is my hiring manager. I think having your future bosses have a one on one right off the bat so that the expectations are set and we can rise to the learning curve instead of crashing into it at timesh

"Tell us about yourself"
"Why do you want to come to Abbott"
"Tell us a time when you showed leadership"

Learn to the Fullest

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom to make projects your own, pay rate, friendly coworkers

Can sometimes have long hours for a week

Schedule as many 1 on 1s as you can with people from around the company, everyone is willing to talk to you for 30 minutes.

You're internship experience is what you make it.

San Jose, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part of the internship, was intern week. This is the highlight of my internship experience. I got to meet and connect with the other interns at Abbott. We also had a lot of fun events that included boat tour of Chicago and volunteering events.

I felt that I was not utilized as a resources. I believe that I could've taken on more projects and responsibilities, but I felt as if my manager was reluctant to assign more assignments to me.

You have to take initiative. If you want to show up to work and just do that, you certainly can. But then you are working to simply work. You can set up informational meetings, connect with other people in your organization, and even set up tours. This way you can learn about the culture of the company. This way you will know if this is the organization that you want to be a part of.
Everyone at Abbott, wants you to succeed. There are a lot of senior leaders who have an open door policy and they have great insight that can help you in deciding what you want your career path to be.

Advice to Management

I think management can make the same resources available to all interns. I was provided with a desktop and it is very limiting, especially during intern week when I had to ask others for their laptop to log my hours.

Innovating the tools that go into creating world changing healthcare

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Going on tours of the different divisions and having 1 on 1 meetings with executives

Some projects do not feel as beneficial

Managers can send the project expectations early before arrival

A fun summer full of learning technically, professionally and personally, with unique insights at a global healthcare corporate.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the strong mentorship culture best where top leaders are open and happy to sit down and give you advice, tell you about their journeys.

Next steps of our career plans are not as clearly presented and early as I would have liked.

Reach out, don't be afraid to ask questions or network.

Advice to Management

When employees move jobs within the company, there can be better transition processes in place.

Tell us about a leadership experience in a teamwork setting you have had.

Abbott gives interns a change to make a difference in their business.

Lake Forest, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Big projects, networking, everyone is willing to help you through your project

the housing arrangement has been better in past years.

Ask for what you want to work on. Tell your managers what you're passionate about but also realize your job is to support the business need. Normally the two can overlap and you'll have an awesome summer working on projects you love.

Advice to Management

Great culture! I think that everyone could work on paying more attention and showing respect to other employees by not being on their computers and not interrupting people.

I was a returning intern and didn't have to interview.

Internship provides college students with meaningful projects and experience at Abbott.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given projects that were utilized by the department I was working in. Everything that I was worked on served a greater purpose and I was then able to come to work excited about providing value for the company. I gained more knowledge in these last couple of months than I did in any of my college classes. I was introduced to a real world work environment and soon realized that things are not as black and white as a textbook makes them seem.

I had a lot of down time in between projects. I sometimes felt that I was not being used as effectively as possible. I do not know if this was because my manager underestimated the kind of work I was capable of or if she just did not have enough things for me to do. While the projects I was given were interesting, I wish I had gotten more of them.

For any interns who are interested in working for Abbott, it is important to come in every day ready to work. You gain the most from putting forth your best effort, no matter what the task. It is imperative that you ask questions and take advantage of the resources given to you. During my first couple of weeks, I felt as though I was in over my head; however, once I started to ask questions and learn more about the organization, I realized everyone was eager to teach me. It is okay to fail as long as you do not make the same mistake more than once. Don't be afraid to take on new challenges and volunteer for things. On the other hand, do not take on more than you can handle. It is better to do a few things very well as opposed to doing many things mediocre.

Advice to Management

I am a finance intern and did not receive any training prior to my first day of work. I guess my only piece of advice would be to sit down with the finance interns for at least a day or two explaining how Abbott goes about its financial statements and different resources that would be helpful.

Why do you want to work for Abbott?
Talk about a time you failed.