Intern at Abbott Internship Program? Submit a Review

Amazing people working on products that change lives

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people at Abbott are brilliant and very willing to help you. There is also a lot of access to senior leaders which is great

can be long hours to finish the tough projects we are assigned, but nothing too crazy

You will get the chance to work with great people on projects that are extremely meaningful

Mostly just behavioral questions. There were also 2 case study questions during the MBA interview

A Rewarding Internship for a company who's passion is to improve the lives of others.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, Professional learning and development, meaningful work assignments, opportunities for growth, great location in Columbus, very competitive pay, free transportation and housing

I have very much enjoyed my internship with Abbott. I can truthfully say there is nothing I don't like

Understand that the company culture at Abbott is second to none. It truly is a remarkable company to work, especially if the candidate has a passion for improving the lives of people across the world. I felt very prepared before starting my internship.

- Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult employee
- Three biggest strengths

Abbott improves lives

The people and projects

The time seems to fly by

Make sure to fully understand as best you can the scope of your project to position yourslef for future success

Advice to Management

Specify upfront the hours you expect us to work outside of business hours

Abbott gives students a diversified internship through networking opportunities, volunteer experiences, and assignment locations

Lake Forest, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best parts of my internship was the eagerness and willingness of upper management to meet with me for an informational meeting. Also, the type of work I was exposed to because I finally got to learn what a business actually does; instead of just reading about it from a text book. Finally, another thing I enjoyed about this internship was Intern Week. The staff did a great job from hosting trainings, to volunteer events, and finally to networking opportunities. I believe no other company does an Intern Week the way Abbott does theirs.

One thing I liked the least about the internship was the first week because I really did not receive any training into what I wold be doing, what procedures were for the workplace, and what I would do on a day-to-day basis.

Abbott is a company where you can start a career and have it be not just another job. Even though I was only an intern, the culture and the opportunities to experience and grow throughout your career are possible at Abbott. Also, you're joining a healthcare company that is doing work that is saving people lives. I never thought of Abbott as being some important to so many people before I came here; however, I now know that Abbott's purpose is so powerful that it makes the work you're doing so meaningful and fulfilling.

Advice to Management

One possible improvement that could be made to the area that I worked in could be weekly team meetings. It could be used to ask your boss a question that might benefit everyone along with asking for a coworkers help with a task that has been assigned to you. This could bring the team closer together and build togetherness.

Why did you choose Abbott?
Provide an example of something you failed at and what you learned from that experience.
What can Abbott do for you?
Sell yourself to us, tell us why we should pick you to be an intern?

Abbott Experience

Lake Forest, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Strong compensation and paid housing, strong network of interns, specific intern events organized, individual attention, great real world experience, opportunity to work with IT clients and customers within the business, no "busy work"

It would have been more helpful to receive housing and orientation information earlier that we did.

Be sure to ask a lot of questions, become friends with your fellow interns, schedule lots of 1x1s, tour every building that you can, and ask for more work from your manager if you start to have free time.

Advice to Management

For the internship specifically, I would recommend making sure work is somewhat evenly given out to the interns. Some interns had far less responsibilities than other interns.

Give me an example where you had to work with someone difficult in a group and how did you overcome it?
What is your favorite class and why?
Give me an example where you were a leader.

With the Creation of Value Great Impact and Change is Made.

Lake Forest, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The focus and attention and resources given to actually grow interns rather than have done be subordinates like most companies.

G.P.A actually matters.

Be ready to dive in and Ask questions.

Advice to Management

N/A

N/A

Being treated as an employee from day 1

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone is open to talking? with you to help you in your project or just to get a better feel for Abbott. The 'Open door policy" is true throughout the company.

Took a few weeks to adjust to Abbott culture since they treat you as a normal employee right away,

I didn't realize how global the company was. You will be dealing with people in a bunch of different divisions and probably people all over the world.

Learn in 12 weeks what you did not learn in college for 3 years

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, networking, access to higher people in the organization, mentorship program

Not being able to actually execute my project, just leave the guidelines for future use

Columbus and Chicago offices are headquarters, so the working environment is more busy, strict, and formal. Most interns are in these locations, so it is easy to make friends and establish those relationships with other interns. Any other location has a more relaxed, smaller environment, where only one or a few interns work at the same time. Depending on what you like, choose your location properly.

What frustrates you?
what motivates you?
Why Abbott?
What are you most proud of?

A fulfilling internship experience filled with passionate, dedicated, and hardworking people, where your work is valued by the company.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Best aspects included opportunities to network with employees, intern compensation, Intern Week, amount of time invested in the interns, the value of our projects to the company, the diversity within the company.

I have no complaints!

Don't be disappointed if you are not happy/interested in your internship with Abbott. Abbott is an enormous and diverse company with many different divisions and roles. Network with employees in the departments the interest you the most, and Abbott will work hard to make sure you are placed in an area you have passion for and love.

Advice to Management

Make compensation equal for all intern positions.

Tell me about a time when you had to use teamwork to solve a problem.

Tell me a time when something went unexpected and what did you do to adapt/adjust?

Engaging opportunity to prove to yourself and the company your potential, with the full support of those around you.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, living situation, intern week, investment in professional development.

Little notice of location placement.

Come in with an attitude that people are going to go out of there way to help, IF and only IF you go out of your way to ask. They can't read your mind.

Advice to Management

I thought mgt. did a great job.

Conversational based interview- focuses on one's story and passions in life.