Intern at Abbott Internship Program? Submit a Review

Find your place

Cincinnati, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being paid to move to a new state, being able to explore new interest and career options, and being surrounded by amazing professionals that want to help me grow both personally and professionally.

I wish the internship was longer

Any internship with Abbott will be challenging but well worth it in the end.

This interview process was more of a conversation in my opinion which was great because I felt like I really got to know the company and the company got to know me as well.

Abbott adapts a growth mindset to invest in and develop interns

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-the people and positive work culture
-meaningful work that helps the company
-intern week and the development events we do during that time
-networking with top executives
-lunch and learns
-Abbott house

-not placed in a position that relates to my field, which made my work boring at times

Come with a willing mind to really get to know the company. Don't just treat it as a job that is giving you money, treat it as an opportunity. If you are bored and don't have any work to do, contact people in your division that do things you may be interested in.

Advice to Management

Make sure managers are well prepared to host interns and can have enough time to meet with them on occasion.

Quality assurance, networking, & learning about corporate life

Lake Forest, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

how receptive everyone was to helping you learn about the company or figure out career options - even senior managers and executives were willing to make a lot of time

missed doing science/engineering - saw more of the company than I would have in a more technical role but had very business focused projects

great benefits, projects vary widely -- some interns get really incredible projects that tie into what they want to do and others don't, ask about what specifically they are thinking about for you, your experience will vary a lot depending on your manager too but most people are very capable friendly and understanding. and be prepared for more unknown acronyms than you could ever expect to learn in 3 months

Can you tell me about a time when you failed?
Can you tell me about a time when a superior asked you to cut corners to get something done in time, what did you do?

Make a Real Difference at Abbott!

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work has been meaningful and the projects have lasting effects. There is a real sense of community among interns not only at specific locations, but throughout the whole program. Intern week helps to network with leaders and connect/reconnect with other interns that will be leaders in the future. This year, a program was launched to give interns an opportunity to give input on the program and give proposals, which just embodies how much intern's thoughts are valued. Most people are very willing to help interns and view interns as a fresh opinion on how processes are being done.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the program itself. I think the program should encourage managers to set goals with the interns the first week or two though so it is clear what the intern will be responsible for at the end of the internship (I think the managers are told to do that to prepare for the performance review, but my manager didn't so I just wrote some that I thought encompassed the projects and we went over them during our weekly 1:1).

Abbott provides so many opportunities to learn, experience, and contribute, but it has to be a two way street. In order to get the most out of the program, as an intern you also have to be willing to put in a lot of effort and ask questions.

Develop Your Professional and Personal Life

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having freedom to whatever I please. Getting housing and car provided. Having meetings with higher ups and getting chance to meet he CEO!

I wish I could have one during school like part time.

Enjoy it! Its the best time of your life.

The Internship that exceeds expectations of learning, networking, and professional development.

- Access to senior leaders
- Networking opportunity
- Atmosphere/Environment
- Team building
- Out of the office events (social events, baseball game, intern week, etc)
- Projects
- Project mentor
- Great internship managers

I lived at home because my family lives in the area. I wish that I would have lived with the other interns so that I could hangout with them more and become a stronger part of the group. I think that it should be an option for even locals to accept the intern housing.

Abbott is a very complex organization with many different divisions. I wish I would have known more about the corporate structure as a whole, as well as within the division that I am employed under.

Best Internship Program in the Country

Phoenix, AZ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Meaningful Assignments
- Intern Week in Chicago
- Knowing your work makes a difference in the healthy lifestyle of millions of people all over the world.
- Competitive Pay

The Best Internship, The Best Experience, The Best Summer

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-So many opportunities
-Real work that mattered
-Great perks, benefits, and compensation
-Great university relations team that is incredibly helpful
-Great community
-Relationships you make last long after the internship is over

I wish they could consider our job/location preferences more

This is such a great internship and company. We do so much for others. Working for this company and knowing it makes a difference by impacting so many lives is very rewarding. You will learn so much and you will never want to leave!

Advice to Management

Have the managers start preparing projects and planning for their interns at least 6 weeks in advance before the intern's arrival. Sometimes it feels like the manager was not prepared to have an intern for 12 weeks.

-Describe a time where you failed. What happened and what did you do about it?
-Why do you want to work at Abbott?
-Tell us of your most proud achievement.

A rewarding internship with meaningful work assigments, access to senior leadership, learning opportunities and limitless growth

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, meaningful work assignments that have a direct impact on company, endless learning, great company culture, great pay, housing/rental car provided for free,

There is no aspect of the internship that I did not like

If you have a passion for improving the lives of millions, Abbott is the place for you. It's so fulfilling to work for a company that touches so many people across the world every single day. The company culture truly is second to none

Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult coworker, how did you handle it?
What are your 3 biggest strengths?

The Abbott internship program provides interns with the ability to grow and learn through meaningful projects.

Lake Forest, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Intern Week, where every intern from around the country is flown in to Abbott's headquarters for team-building and training exercises
-Housing, which is fully paid for
-Compensation, which is substantially more than what I was paid at other companies

-Being far away from home can sometimes be challenging, but this is not a dealbreaker

Network as much as possible. Set up 1on1's with people from different functions of the company in order to better understand what goes on around Abbott.

Advice to Management

I think the reduction of unnecessary meetings would be a good piece of advice. Sometimes I feel like meetings can be eliminated to save everyone time. When I am in meetings all day, it is harder for me to get things done.

-What is your biggest accomplishment?
-Can you tell me about a time when you worked on a team with a difficult team member?
-Can you tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to get something done?