Intern at Dow Jones News Fund Business Reporting, Digital Editing, Sports Editing, News Editing? Submit a Review

Excellent Experience, Learned a Lot

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone I worked with was extremely nice and helpful -- treated me like a coworker.

Didn't know what to do on my down time.

Be nice and humble, people will go out of their way to help you.

Intern is thrown into work from the first week and never slows down until its over.

Roanoke, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the fact that I was really thrown in right away was a huge pro. I appreciated the level of trust and that I felt like I was doing real work, and a ton of it.

I thought the staff was a little quiet, and sometimes unwilling to tell me when I'd made a mistake. Some of the people I worked with, especially the ones who trained me, were very helpful, but otherwise I could go a while without realizing I was doing something wrong.

They will give you something to do from day one, and they will utilize you to your fullest capabilities. The newsroom culture is very welcoming and I didn't meet a single person who shunned me or treated me poorly because I was an intern, which I've encountered at other organizations I worked for.

Advice to Management

I think employee retention is the biggest problem here. I know more about the copy desk than other news departments, but in the time I was here I replaced someone who had just left, and then another staffer moved on to a new job a week before my internship ended.

Recent grad gains insight into ups and downs of a major newspaper

Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being around extremely talented editors, getting to know reporters (lots of interaction between copy editors and reporters), camaraderie on copy desk, nicest people, having a "mentor," DJNF boot camp

Not too much feedback, philosophy of the newspaper is very blog-heavy, higher-ups don't seem to value copy desk, low morale

DJNF is a fantastic experience for those considering going into copy editing

College Intern Discovers South Sound With Patch

Seattle, WA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to meet so many new people, learning about topics with which I was previously unfamiliar such as military life, networking with my local editors, getting better at making videos quickly and posting from my phone

Pretty self-explanatory, the layoffs that came at the end which caused the internship to end early.

Patch is a great experience and definitely has a place in journalism. However, it is still struggling to secure itself and that will take time. The internship was totally worthwhile though.

You're Part of the Team, but Behind the Times

Richmond, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Treated like part of the team, with front-page assignments early on.

-Got to work in a newsroom and collaborate with co-workers, editors and page designers.

-Improved headline and cutline writing ability.

-Lack of opportunities to experiment with online/multimedia aspects of the job.

-Some practices seem outdated or confusing.

-Co-workers had a slightly cynical attitude about their work and other employees.

You get thrown right into the fire and are expected to keep up pretty early on. Don't expect to attain any experience with online or digital work, but you get more than a healthy taste of what working at a print newspaper is like.

Intern Has Fantastic Summer Editing and Learning at The New York Times

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Honing my editing and headline-writing skills, getting to meet some of the biggest names in the industry, working with a friendly copy desk who never minded answering my questions, getting to see my work on A1 or online

There would be long periods of time (several hours) where I would have nothing to do, even when I asked the slot editor if there was anything I could work on. This wasn't unique to only me -- the desk had more people working on it than normal, and I had about the same story volume as the other copy editors. It just would have been nice for there to have been more stories to work on.

The New York Times takes very good care of its interns. There were lots of intern social and professional events for fun and networking, and they encourage lots of interaction with the other interns. On the copy desk, I was assigned a mentor, whom I met for coffee a couple of times for chatting and advice-giving. Everyone on the desk was extremely supportive, and the slot editor was fantastic. He always took time to go over his changes to my headlines or my copy, and he was very open to me asking questions. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment.

Learning to Write Community News

Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of writing, lots of responsibility

No clear hours, worked overtime but on fixed pay

Put yourself out there and work hard

Advice to Management

More specific hours?

An NY Post intern really should've come up with something wittier than this (but the internship was cool)

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with smart editors is great, along with actually getting paid

Hours (4 p.m.-midnight) are tough

Being a Dow Jones intern is something to separate you on applications. I hope.

Advice to Management

More direct training for the job you're getting. Lots of AP Style training, which my paper doesn't use

University senior gains experience despite continued trials

Washington, DC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

social media experience, non-profit experience, video production

management, lack of resources, lack of tasks/responsibilities

If you are seeking an internship with invaluable experience, guided learning, hands-on experience and you would consider yourself a go-getter, then be wary about accepting this internship. Often I would find myself hours on end with nothing to do despite my own efforts to make up my own tasks.

Advice to Management

For management, I would suggest that if you can't spare the time and effort to educate an intern and provide an educative experience, then you are doing a disservice to the intern.

Great place to live, not-so-great place to work

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay was excellent and the selection and placement process was very easy for me because I was a Dow Jones intern (so the location was chosen for me and I didn't need to interview/apply for anything).

The hours were challenging (3 p.m. to midnight daily) and it was very difficult to ask for a day off. Because of my prior reporting experience, it was challenging to go into a quiet, tedious, introverted environment like copy editing. I felt my gregarious personality was poorly suited for the newsroom I was in.

If you enjoy copy editing and are a naturally quiet, shy, introverted person, you'd be a good fit for this job. It's a good job that pays well in a beautiful city, but the environment in the newsroom just isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Myself and a lot of the other interns sensed a great deal of tension between employees and upper management. That might be an issue to work out to make it a more welcoming, comfortable newsroom.