Intern at Smithsonian Institution Internship? Submit a Review

Events Intern

Washington, DC | July 2017 | FORMER INTERN

Fantastic internship experience. Had the opportunity to take on meaningful work from my first week. The team was extremely accommodating in helping me meet my goals and arranging professional development opportunities.

It was really a shame that this was an unpaid position. As such, I had to create a part-time schedule to allow me to work to support myself. Being full-time would have been a better arrangement for everyone.

Comments

Show that you'll take initiative and really contribute to the team - it's a learning experience for you, but you're there to work.

Smithsonian Curators are Smart,

Washington, DC | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I've never been treated more like a young professional than at SI. It was understood that I needed instruction but that I also had knowledge and experience to offer the museum. In short, the culture at the museum is wonderful.

It is disappointing that there are not more hiring initiatives for academic positions such as curators and library and information staff.

If you're interested in working at the Smithsonian, search the official internship office's database of postings. If you don't see something interesting or don't get a call back-don't worry! Brainstorm what subjects or professional fields interest you and then set out to contact employees in those fields. Most, if not all, employees at the Smithsonian consider giving back to students and fostering educational initiatives vital and will listen to internship proposals from students.

Advice to Management

The Smithsonian runs off of interns, fellows, and volunteers. More initiatives need to be in place to keep in contact with them and prioritize them for paid positions.

Excellent

Herndon, VA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Very helpful people as supervisors, appreciated my work.

Location, specially as I had to deal with teh National beltway traffic. Did not get a lot of networking opportunities for lack of time as a result.

Citizenship required, otherwise need to go through contracting companies.

Advice to Management

better opportunities for visa holders

The internship that changed my life - The road to discovering my future.

Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone was very approachable and helpful, even the world reknowned scientists. I learned a great deal about my project and felt like I contributed something, my PI was very easy to talk to and gave me project details beyond what my exact duties were. I developed important and valuable laboratory skills that helped me get into graduate school. At the time I didn't enjoy it, but giving a presentation on the project I was working on to the SCBI community was great public speaking and presentation practice. The people I met really made the internship for me, including the researchers, lab staff, and my fellow interns. It was a great atmosphere for learning and I developed a sound knowledge of skills as well as confidence in myself, my abilities, and what I wanted to get out of life. When I started my internship I was fortunate enough to have a specified instructor to train me in the lab. After my first few months there, that was no longer part of her job description. Front Royal, VA isn't a booming metropolis but I rather enjoyed it. Many places to explore and the campus itself provides outdoor opportunities, and we had a lot of fun. The free housing is a great perk as well as the free parking at museums downtown with the ID badge.

For the first half of my internship I was not paid. The second half of my internship I was on a $500/month stipend. It was better than nothing but still not easy to live off of. The housing is a bit outdated but really nothing to complain about.

What you get out of this internship depends on what you put into it. Go in ready to work and learn. Some days in the lab cab be monotonous and intern work is never glamorous, but that doesn't mean it's not important. Don't be afraid to ask questions and talk with the researchers because they are usually very willing to help. Make friends with all the interns, even the ones outside of your department because it will make your social life outside of the lab so much better.

Advice to Management

An increase in stipend would be nice but many internships are without pay. It would also be nice to have someone to train interns again and to run the internship program as a whole. I remember when I applied, I couldn't even remember how I had chanced upon the application. Other people ask me how to find the internship and seem to struggle to locate one online or find a name to contact for questions. Even as an intern it would be nice to have a contact for general concerns. For example on what to pack when moving to Front Royal, what to expect, where to go that sort of thing.

A Day as an Archivist

Washington, DC | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having the opportunity to work with archivists

The high cost of public transportation to worksite

Be sure to gain insider knowledge before applying for a position. Assess the environment that the job is located in.

Excellent research experience with proper training, approachable staff, and comfortable schedule.

Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other interns, the living facilities, the work experience.

The small stipend.

Nothing comes to mind.

Advice to Management

See if there is a potential to increase the compensation.

Local Student Makes It Big on East Coast with Life-Changing Experience

Washington, DC | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to connect with visitors and get them excited about historical subjects they otherwise would have taken little interest in; learning about other visitors' interpretations of the artifacts; getting to see the various artifacts up close and personal everyday.

Expensive place to live (Washington, DC)

Extremely supportive of their employees, especially student interns. The work environment is much different than any other place I've been; everyone is genuinely excited about their job and it shows.

Student works at Prestigious Museum, Gains Invaluable Experience

Washington, DC | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship include the skills gained during the project, the networking and career advancement opportunities through working with notable colleagues, and the familial work environment.

I disliked my commute to work.

This internship was a great opportunity for real world industry experience. Make the most of the time by getting to know your employers and colleagues and by taking advantage of specific internship programs.

An engaging, meaningful, and unique opportunity to work with collections and issues related to my field.

Washington, DC | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

independent projects, ability to see a final product and have the organization use that product, smart people, who treat you as a part of the organization. Allowed me to go to talks, career fairs, etc. at the Smithsonian.

lack of direction from supervisor in the beginning, lack of full-tme employment opportunities, using interns like employees that should be paid more for what they bring to the table.

identify a project to work on in the beginning.

Advice to Management

Pay interns, offer continued job opportunities to them, promote cross-unit collaboration and networking.

Stewarding the American Experience Through the Media

Washington, DC | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to be in the know of almost all the projects that were going on in the museum. I got to see the back rooms of the collections areas and take special guests on tours of them. I was also able to meet some important people from the media that will be important contacts with my future career in Public Relations.

The stress and the overlapping projects.

It is an amazing place to work! Even though it can be easy to get swamped and bogged down in all the projects, stress and running around, it's important to take time to enjoy Washington, D.C. It's an incredible place!! Also, meet as many curators as possible and ask them a lot about their collections and their projects. There are some amazing things going on there!

Advice to Management

It'd be great if they paid their interns with something other than academic credit. D.C. is an incredibly expensive place to live, so maybe just helping out with living or transportation or something. But it was still fantastic.