CBS News Intern Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Media & Telecommunications Internships

Student receives invaluable resources and unforgettable experience interning at CBS
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed working with so many people from different backgrounds. Each had something to offer me, and through them, I was able to improve as a Journalist. My critical thinking was challenged along with my patience and tenacity. Every day I was busy, and no two days were the same

I did not have much of an opportunity to write for CBS.

Work as hard as you can whenever you are inside the office. Talk to as many people as possible, you never know where a connection may come from.

Advice to Management

Host more writing workshops/seminars.

One of the best opportunities I've been fortunate to receive in my entire life
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunities allotted to you; you're pretty much not restricted to any department of the sector you're assigned to. I knew nothing about the Hard News department beforehand but once I found it, I found my niche and loved it there. You're able to find your niche and develop your craft well in whatever niche that is.

I least liked that I didn't decide to work the shift that I ended up switching to sooner because it was amazing to work the show!

Make the best of every opportunity given to you because the little things matter. When given a task, do it and do it well because when you do, people, important people notice and then they start asking you to do so more. Also, don't wait on opportunity to knock on your door. If you know what you want to do when you walk in, find the person doing that and shadow them.

The CBS News internship program is world-class! What a place to be!
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to meet many leaders of the company and learn the ins and outs of the News operations. I was tasked with very important, time-sensitive assignments. The people I worked with were outstanding!

There was not a single 'con' to my internship experience. It was an incredible summer!

The more you familiarize yourself with the breadth of CBS News, the more you will enjoy the internship.

My intern experience as a whole was incredible, conveying the importance of journalistic integrity as well as the importance of hard news.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship included networking and understanding the way the broadcast is put together

I would have preferred to stay on the morning shift throughout the entire summer.

Interning at CBS is an incredible opportunity and experience and I highly recommend it.

What programs are your favorite at CBS?

What time do certain programs come on

Whose the director of CBS

Advice to Management

Diversity definitely needs to increase. Out of 70 interns only about 7 were minorities, this is sad and desperately needs to be changed.

once in a lifetime opportunity to work for an award winning network and gain real broadcast journalism experience
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the people that I got to work with definitely made the experience special; I was assisting producers and sitting in meetings with renowned news anchors who all definitely impacted my time at CBS. I also feel that having the opportunity to represent a historically rich and prosperous brand like CBS is a huge door opener and will benefit me greatly in my future career endeavors.

The department I was assigned to had a large group of interns and since we were rotating shifts, I felt like it created some unnecessary competition among the interns and I also felt like it did not allow me to have consistent contact with some of the producers I worked with over the summer.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE APPLYING AND INTERVIEWING.

A behind the scenes look at the creation of CBS news
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

An experience in writing and nonlinear video editing.

There seemed to no be much to do at times.

CBS news is a very professionally run organization.

The Summer that I Sharpened My Craft: How my internship at CBS News changed my life
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my internship were: working with amazing people in my department, getting the opportunity to network outside of my unit, and hearing from top executives of the organization through scheduled internship workshops.

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Make sure that you know the news inside and out. Also, be yourself and do your best in whichever department you end up.

A fulfilling experience that can be applied to any news medium
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Going out on shoots and having pitches approved.

Logging, not enough writing

Don't be discouraged when a pitch is not approved. Be proactive

Advice to Management

More writing and video editing exercises for interns

Dream Come True
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting so many incredible people.

The other interns

I would just go out of my way to be overly helpful and meet as many people as you can!

My internship was an eyeopening and educational experience that helped me figure out what area of journalism I want to be in.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part about my internship was working directly with Norah O'Donnell. I got to sit in the studio every day and help out whenever possible. I also was able to go on interviews with her.

The early hours were tough, but I got used to them. The intern project was also stressful, but rewarding in the end. It was also annoying to have to stay around to listen to speakers when my shift ended 2 hours before.

If you want an internship in entertainment or sports journalism, this is not the internship for you.