Intern at Owens Corning Internship? Submit a Review

An eventful summer with great exposure to leadership

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the work sponsored activities, the ability to do a project and own it, the exposure to leadership, public speaking opportunities

Onboarding process took awhile, not enough work at times, slight competition for open positions at the end of summer, large final presentation

Seek out opportunities, don't wait for things to come to you.

Freedom and flexibility given to contribute to meaningful projects at one's own pace.

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom and flexibility, good work environment, good pay

Coaching and development, sometimes lacking in mentor-ship

Build a mentor-like relationship with your boss or someone on your team. This is extremely helpful for questions and allows you to build a strong social bond with someone you trust

Advice to Management

More focus on coaching and development, the ball was slightly dropped in my on-boarding schedule as far as networking and coaching.

STAR method before my first internship. Consecutive internships (co-op program) interviews were very casual and relaxed conversations. The HR leader asks about your interest and where you would like to go. I was able to network and go off the traditional trajectory of the co-op program by completing rotations in sustainability and the current full time position I hold now.

Invaluable project management experience.

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great culture, meaningful work, and collaborative environment.

Hiring paper work was rather slow. Access to needed programs was slow as well.

Be prepared to network. Your are exposed to senior leadership on a regular basis, be prepared to make the most of that time.

Advice to Management

I would give interns some day-to-day work, at times the project can get slow.

All behavioral based questions.

I had the unique opportunity to basically act as a full-time engineer and own the technical aspects of an area in the plant.

Atlanta, GA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gained leadership experience.
Became an individual in the plant that operators relied on.
Learned about process controls.
Gained experience with new software.

The work that I performed had little to do with my college major.

Most of Owens Corning's plants are unionized, which can be a major challenge.

Technical, Professional, and Career Development

Albany, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were: Hands-on and relevant projects, helpful and encouraging coworkers, challenges to grow intellectually and professionally, leadership development, and a positive company culture.

Working with the Union made it difficult to complete tasks; I did not like that I could not install or fix anything myself and everything had to go through another party.

First, I would advise to accept the initial internship offer as soon as possible because there are more locations available to choose from. Finally, ensure to keep up with all of the initial paperwork and find housing early.

Advice to Management

I would allow more time for potential employees to deliberate after receiving a job offer.

First Internship Was Successful

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the exposure to leadership, the fun events put on by the GIS department, making friends, challenging work

Communication aspects

When we would find out if we are receiving an offer or not.

Intern learns the ins and outs of how to safely managed employees and the environment

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The knowledge and wisdom I learned from my co-workers

not enough hands on projects

try to understand the processes as fast as possible, it will help you in the long-run. Do whatever you have to in order to understand how each machine and process works.

Long

San Jose, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quality of projects
Challenging tasks
Culture of the company
Given a lot of responsibility

Short amount of time

Great place to work. If you are looking for experience in manufacturing and engineering Owens Corning would be a great choice. The projects are challenging and you will learn a lot about how a manufacturing plant operates.

Advice to Management

Providing information and communicating more about locations, projects and logistics of the internship earlier in the spring before the internship started. Examples: holiday vacations, start and end dates, reimbursements ...

It was a behavioral interview.

Value added work with incredible leadership

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real work experience that provide the opportunity for incredible value

If you received a bad project it's hard to make the best out of it.

Understand that you have a value driven project and you're the one working on it so its up to you to get it done.