Intern at Owens Corning Internship? Submit a Review

An amazing experience where I developed as an IS professional in an amazing environment.

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people who work at OC were my favorite part of the internship due to all the care they had for us interns.

I did not enjoy the apartments we stayed in as they did not have a kitchen for us to cook in.

I wish I would have known more about the scope of my project coming in.

Advice to Management

Be more clear about your expectations of employees. I often had no idea if I was doing work that pleased my manager.

Underutilized and Chronically Depressed: An Unseeming Success Story

Atlanta, GA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. Being on the plant floor A LOT

2. Having a staff that was always available/willing to help you learn

3. Getting to know a process

4. Being able to truly lead your own projects

5. Working with all facets of the plant (maintenance, operations, etc.)

6. The flexibility to dive deep into what you find interesting

1. Lack of direction (mainly due to the circumstance the plant was in)

--> I was thrown into it basically blindfolded and found my own projects to get started on. It was frustrating but I'm not the type of person who will just sit there and do nothing if they aren't given anything to do. I'm not sure how other interns may have responded being in the situation I was in as I know most of them were just handed their projects.

I would say to future interns to really put a lot of thought into deciding which location you want to spend your internship at. I wanted to know where I would excel and fit in best and so I asked the person who interviewed me where they thought I should go given my skillset and personality. They directed me here and while I do believe I fit in extremely well, it hasn't been the best experience for my development given the circumstance the plant is in this summer. Don't go to a plant that is doing a rebuild. I am learning much more than I ever thought I would and I am so grateful to have this unique experience. BUT, if you want project work and something to show for the presentation at the end, you will not receive that as you would if there wasn't a rebuild going on. Rebuilds are busy times.

Advice to Management

n/a

I do not remember the questions as I was interviewed nearly 9 months ago. Sorry!

A taste of manufacturing engineering with a fortune 500 company

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

They have given me a lot of exposure to different parts of the manufacturing industry while being supportive and helpful with my projects.

At the beginning, I had a very slow start to begin receiving responsibility. I think that if the company had a more structured orientation week or two at the beginning, we could learn about the plant and the process before starting projects. Then, I think it should be much more structured in terms of mentoring and guiding the interns down a road of success.

This company has a lot of perks of a large company, but it still has a very personal feel. The manufacturing environment is very casual, but everyone works very hard and has a lot of dedication.

Advice to Management

I think the plant I work in could be more diverse in terms of gender - it is a primarily white, male demographic. If the company were to increase its diversity, new thinking may draw better innovation.

Describe your work ethic in terms of self-direction.

How do you plan to introduce innovation to a company who has been the top of the market for 50+ years?

HR Internship allows for complete view of Generalist projects and develops broad range of skills

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I have enjoyed getting to see what working for a large company is like and getting to know the other interns on-site as well as the full time employees. Also, it's been great to see all different aspects of HR.

I did not like that the internship location was not completely nailed down upon the offer.

Don't be afraid to ask for what you want. Owens Corning is very accommodating as long as you work hard and follow through on your projects.

Advice to Management

I would have the location solidified when the offer is made. I would also set up some sort of housing as it can be very difficult to find a place willing to rent on a short term lease with a young tenant.

What sets you apart from other students at your University?

What other companies are you looking into?

One Team, One Vision, One Strategy - Only TPM

Greenville, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to go out into the plant and check things out by myself. Was not babysat or needed someone to take me around

The project. It was more HR related than engineering

Be ready to ask for projects and get immersed, otherwise you will end up just sitting in your cubical. Also, spend at least an hour everyday on the plant floor to familiarize yourself with the process.

Advice to Management

Vacation days for interns

A great balance of research, learning, and travel

Columbus, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The trust to work on the project and get what you need done without excessive oversight. People were always there to help but you were left alone to work on a or many high impact projects for the company.

I dislike writing things up so at the conclusion of the internship that became a little tedious. That honestly is a part of any job in the field.

Great culture and people.