Intern at Owens Corning Internship? Submit a Review

Real world application of modeling skills

Columbus, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to learn new software and apply modeling to real world applications that translated to real world processes

Sometimes direction on where to head next for the models weren't clear

Know about the culture of the program and what is expected

Owens Corning gives you the real life opportunities and guidance to succeed in the professional world.

Good project
Meaningful projects
Good guidance when needed
treated fairly
visibility to senior leadership
small company vibes
very friendly people
ability to make a difference and deliver results

reimbursement of flight

you will get very valuable experience with a fortune 500 company

Advice to Management

nothing had a great manager

my passions
behavioral questions primarily

Finance and Accounting Intern

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, a well thought out and organized program, valuable work that helped develop my ability while also providing the company value.

Location, variety of work in the future

This is a fantastic company with an even better internship and early career development program. Really work hard to make sure the experience for the interns is as good as it can be

Advice to Management

Give interns that received offers a longer time to accept/decline. a couple days is too short. Makes the process seemed rush and unconfident

Basic behavioral and experience questions. Couple of logic/brain teasers as well

Hands on experience in manufacturing plant with friendly environment and emphasis on safety.

San Jose, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at my plant was really positive. Everyone was welcoming and willing to go out of their way to help me learn and teach me about the plant. Employees were interested in getting to know me and genuinely wanted to see me succeed. We also had bi-weekly conference calls with the other interns around the country. These calls included both sharing what we were doing and hearing from top executives in the company.

I feel that the scope of one of my projects was too large. It was not what some people considered a "typical" intern project.

The company culture is amazing. The people here are caring and very willing to help you learn. I always felt that everyone around me wanted to see me succeed. There is also a huge emphasis on safety. We talk about safety every day and it is always on everyone's mind. This is very important due to the risks present in a manufacturing environment.

Advice to Management

I felt I had very adequate compensation and the hours were flexible. I pretty much got to decide my own hours on a daily basis as long as I got my 40 hours in each week. One area of potential improvement is communication about our schedules. There was some confusion about what holidays and time off we got and we weren't given advance notice. Another challenge I faced during my internship was transitioning between bosses. Part way through my internshipmy my initial supervisor ended up leaving work to spend more time with her family and I recieved a new supervisor. The inconsistency in mentorship posed some difficulty for me.

Tell me about a time you faced conflict in the workplace and what did you do to resolve it.

"OC Intern Provides Sustainable Solutions For Presented Problems"

Pay
People
Good Product
Flexibility
Travel

Location was not ideal

Fight for the job.

Real project, real people, real time!

Networking
Friends
New technology
Business perspective

Project was not too challenging

They are a very people orientated company.
Talk to interviewers, they care more about who you are as a person rather than what you.

Advice to Management

More diversity for full-time employees.
Reach out to more schools

An eventful summer with great exposure to leadership

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the work sponsored activities, the ability to do a project and own it, the exposure to leadership, public speaking opportunities

Onboarding process took awhile, not enough work at times, slight competition for open positions at the end of summer, large final presentation

Seek out opportunities, don't wait for things to come to you.

Great Company, Great People, Great Opportunity

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the projects

Honestly, everything went great

Take advantage of networking

Advice to Management

develop a mentor program

A fun summer of accelerated personal and professional growth through challenging but well-supported supply chain project management role.

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Best aspects of the internship were as follows: challenging real-world work, final presentation in front of VP of Supply Chain and other top management, great networking opportunities, gaining experience working in a global space, OC sponsored volleyball and other extra activities, compensation was competitive, development program full-time opportunities are great, involvement in community service, learning about sustainability, workshops on unconscious gender bias and overcoming roadblocks, socials hosted by CEO and CFO, opportunity to set up 30-minute touchbases with directors of supply chain, major emphasis on learning, full-time employees take interns very seriously and support us, OC's office culture is competitive but supportive and really fun!

A challenge this summer was having some of our intern support network off-site for the first month; the supply chain leadership development program has opportunities for plant rotations and international rotations, and at the beginning of our internship two of our internship coordinators were out on these rotations which made communication difficult as we were getting settled. A second difficult aspect of this internship is the obvious nature of competition among the interns; we overcame this to become great friends, but when there are 10 high-achieving interns and 4 amazing full-time opportunities, there is naturally a competitive atmosphere which can strain personal relationships.

Potential interns should know that this is a competitive internship program that funnels into an even more competitive rotational development program, which includes a year rotation at a manufacturing plant. If this does not interest you, by all means still come to OC for a summer because you will be grown personally and professionally in huge ways, but just keep that future opportunity in mind. Additionally, it should be noted that Owens Corning invests heavily in the development of its interns; only take this internship if you're ready to invest back into yourself and the company through your work hard.

Advice to Management

Interns' compensation, hours, future opportunities, training, and diversity initiatives are all great here at Owens Corning. I will be leaving my coordinators with two main challenges to improve interns' experiences in the future. First, software access should be given to interns within the first days; intern projects were delayed because of SAP and BI access, and this is a known problem that would improve the first few weeks' experience in the future. Second, interns should have more active on-site support during their first couple weeks; don't hold their hands, but also don't expect them to thrive amidst complete independence week two. This second piece of advice is probably extremely specific to me because all interns have extremely diverse projects among different teams, so others' experiences with their teams is quite varied.

Owens Corning's interviewers asked me all behavioral questions. I was recruited last August, so I don't remember any particulars. I think I was asked to talk about a time I overcame failure, and also a time I was working in a group with conflict.

I was able to shape my internship experience while growing as a person and as a professional.

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking opportunities, from interns to top management.
The value adding projects that challenged you and gave you a broad set of skills.
The ability to create a life balance outside of work.

The awkward spacing between intern events.

The lack of departmental diversity in business cases.

Be aggressive straight out to gate and get out of your comfort zone. You have the ability to take advantage of opportunities that arise throughout the internship.

Advice to Management

Many interns are well qualified for the leadership rotation. Providing more challenging leadership opportunities will help reveal interns who have to capacity to juggle the responsibilities.

How depreciation affects the financial statements?

How have you energized your team and taken leadership roles?