Owens Corning Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #9 Best Engineering Internships

Intern at Owens Corning Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Incredible Opportunity and Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meaningful Work, Great work environment, excellent workers, full time offer, great potential, career development committed company

Unclear instructions with projects, manager speaks to fast to write down quality notes

Be confident, be on time, turn cell phone on vibrate, ask for more work, quality of work over quantity of work.

Great Chemical Engineering Co-op Experience!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

There were many great aspects of the internship. My leader was very open and willing to give me assignments to work on. I was able to talk to many on the employees and get a feeling for what I should expect from the company if I were to be hired and what future education I need for the direction I would like to take in the company. I also worked with a MLP participant who showed me what he did on a daily basis. This helped me understand what my job would be like if I got an offer from Owens Corning. Overall, I took away leadership and communication skills that are very valuable.

There was nothing I did not like about my internship.

Owens Corning is a wonderful company to work for and they treat their interns with respect. They allow their interns freedom and mobility to feel engaged as a real engineer.

Advice to Management

I don't think anything needs to be changed at this time.

Great Internship with a company that genuinely cares about its interns.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to network and receive feedback and advice from people within the company. It was a great learning experience to be able to meet people that hold all different ranks and learn from their experiences.

The feeling of constantly being evaluated for a full-time position sometimes made it hard to keep the focus on learning.

The people at Owens Corning genuinely care about your work and are more than willing to offer their time to someone who needs it. Owens Corning is also very involved in the Toledo community which provided some other unique opportunities.

Great experience with great people.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, my fellow interns, and the quality of work I was given.

I have no bad things to say about my internships.

This is an amazing company that is very rewarding to work for and accepting of all people.

Advice to Management

I think showing more possibilities for promotion and working your way up in the company.

Team Centered Global IT Experience for a Fortune 500 Company
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Visiting plants to learn about how our products are made.

Minimal feedback on performance leading up to mid-summer and end of internship reviews.

Great Experience

Advice to Management

Toledo is not the best place to live. Owens Corning could offer more incentives to relocate.

Amazing Manufacturing Leadership Experience Aquired through 12 Week Intership with Owens Corning
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The projects were lead solely by the intern, which provided opportunities for success, mistakes and personal growth
-The management staff was very helpful and always willing to provide advice or assitance
-Interns were placed in plants all over the country, but had weekly conference calls to discuss projects, and get to know one another
-Manufacturing operators were very friendly and willing to help with the projects

-Not a typical 9-5 work day. Sometimes the work hours are long depending on the status of a project, or of the plant.

- Owens Corning is an amazing company to work for.
-The company culture is relaxed but motivating.
-Safety is a TOP priority, which makes you feel confident going to work in the plant
-The work is interesting and challenging

Valuable work experience with high quality company
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real job assignments and opportunities to make your mark on projects
Colleagues and supervisers were great and willing to help
Opportunities to ask questions to leaders of the company (Lunch with the Leaders sessions)
Outside activities that allowed internship, program leader interaction

End of internship very stressful and competitive with fellow interns (understand it was needed)
Location not the greatest, managed to find enough things to do for a summer

The company is a high quality company and the people you work with are really there to engage in conversation and help you along the way. Great relationships and opportunities in this company.

Advice to Management

Maybe more specific training schedules in first week because it was so hectic. There was a lot to learn and they at least made sure to make sessions with different employees depending on the topic.

Not your average internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

As an intern they scheduled lunches with numerous senior management. I was able to have lunch with the CEO, CFO, VP's in tax, HR, and different business segments. They also gave the intern class a budget to take a day off to have a community service event. We were also able to take a day off to visit a few plants and actually see the manufacturing process of how fiberglass is made. Towards the end of the internship we had good social events where we had a picnic to thank our managers and a golf outing with our managers as well. Not only was the work challenging, but the extra perks were great. Being from Texas and the internship in Ohio, they gave me a moving and housing stipend. Before the actual internship they also flew me up as well as others from out of state to meet our managers for the first time. Owens Corning gives there interns hard work, but also allow them to grow.

Being from out of state, I was put at a disadvantage for a full time offer since the drop out rate is high for those not from the Toledo area. I felt this from day one as I was asked constantly how I enjoyed the area and if I could see myself living there. I worked in the finance department, but some other interns in other parts such as supply chain or IT didn't get equal pay or some events such as the finance golf outing.

If your not from Toledo then be aware if you really want to live there. If you do make sure you let your co-workers know. It will allow for a better chance to get a full time offer in their development program. Work hard and make sure to get out of your area and meet new people. I was able to work on different projects and learn about different parts of the business just by reaching out.

Advice to Management

If you recruit from out of state then make sure it's a level playing field. Those from out of town felt a bit discriminated against when it came to a full time offer. More full time offers wouldn't hurt either.

This is a great internship for anyone looking to gain exposure into a manufactoring company.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My managers were fantastic. HR was always helpful too.

The disconnect between who makes the decsions to offer full time, and who see your work and interactions on a regular basis.

Try your best, and get to know as many new people as possible.

Pioneering Technologies- Composite Material Solutions Engineer
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The corporate culture at the Science and Technology Center at Owens Corning is extremely friendly and supportive of a diversity of people, ideas, and perspectives. Compensation is high for an undergraduate and networking opportunites with executive leadership in this company are accesible to interns and encouraged. Have lunch with the VP of research, I did!

I wished I was working full-time, the internship was too short. I am not sure if my project provided direct benefit to anyone at the company or if it was just a curiousity, seeing actual application or implementation of my work would have been more fulfilling.

Owens Corning at the Science and Technology center has to be one of the best employers for materials science, chemistry, or any major with an interest in fiberglass, polymer, or composite technologies!

Advice to Management

If there was a more direct message at the end of the internship if an offer would be extended or not, that would help interns be retained into the company. Since, the Science and Tech center only highers Master's or PhD graduates and I am still working on my Bachelor's degree, there is a loss of continuity in the hiring process.