Owens Corning Internship

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 44 Intern Reviews)

Great experience with great people!
Columbus, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone was very helpful, and I felt that I learned a lot during my time there.

There wasn't anything that stood out as a negative.

Great experience in the manufacturing field, but they encourage you to get to know the other business they have as well.

Professional Development
Toledo, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

We were introduced to many leaders of the company. We were also given lots of feedback on our performance on the job and in the program. We got to participate in many other activities outside of work as well, such as a softball game and volunteer opportunities.

The headquarters in Toledo hinders the company from recruiting some talent.

The office culture is very laid back. It is easy to meet and form connections with the other interns as well as full time employees. Every person I interacted with during the experience was nice and happy to help me in any way they could. They also gave me honest feedback and advice for my career.

Challenging, Unstructured Internship Leads to Exponential Professional and Personal Growth
Toledo, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work - challenging, unstructred. It really pushed me to learn the business quickly. I was making influential business decisions that were ultimately affecting the companies bottom line, which was very rewarding. In addition, the interns were made sure to be integrated into the company. I never felt like anyone was "weighed down" by helping the interns - the energy and excitement about us was great. I enjoyed the high expectations that were set for us.

The intern hell week was a really difficult week (not that I didn't like it...it was just hard :-)). It was a LONG week, that was both mentally exhausting and difficult to manage at times, however I felt that all of the intern leaders prepared everyone as well as they possibly could.

The opportunities at Owens Corning are limitless. The leadership programs following an internship are unmatched.

Advice to Management

working hours should really not be set as specific as 8-5...yes, it is an internship, but if we want to leave early on Friday (like most other people do), that should be allowed. I know the managers received an email about that this summer, and I don't really think it was necessary.

Most Rewarding Summer in My Life
Toledo, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to go on a business travel experience out in California. I was able to really develop my analytical skills through the continued use of microsoft excel. I got to extend my professional network.

I didn't like that I didn't really get to talk with any material planners at the plants or suppliers or anything like that. I was mainly just stuck behind a computer screen all day performing data analysis on microsoft excel spreadsheets.

It's a great company to work for, compensation is great, and the opportunites are great.

"Experience of a life time" I had the opportunity to travel somewhere different and gain work experience and contribute to the company.
Irving, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the pay, the location, the projects, and just the pure experience of the company. So far this was my favorite internship.

the environment can be tough at times it is hot in texas and in a manufacturing plant. Most manufacturing plants your going to get dirty and sweat so it was expected and i didn't mind it at all.

Take the opportunity to experience the manufacutring side of engineering as well as the company itself. You are treated as an equal there and they like to involve you with everyday activities.

Advice to Management

I dont have many suggestions other than adding more location possibilities which is difficult to do.

Challenging Experience of Fun and Growth

Development focused

Challenging work

Engaging and very much supportive culture

Great amount of candid feedback.

Misaligned expectations for what is desired in a candidate for full-time offer.

Ask the question up front, "what are you looking for in a full-time hire?" One answer will be, "we're looking for good coach-able people with leadership potential. We can teach content, such as technical knowledge, but we can't teach good character & leadership." This isn't enough, ask them to be more specific. Also, show executive presence in all that you do, from day to day work and through presentations.

Advice to Management

Be open with what you are specifically looking for in a person for a full-time hire position. Be attentive to the people that genuinely pursue that standard and attentive to those that fake it and will wash out in 3-5 years time.

Amazing internship with vast knowledge and real life experience
Toledo, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I did real life work that an employee would have done if I was not there and if I needed any help, someone would stop to teach me.

Fellow interns living arrangement was far away from the city life and was hard to interact with them.

If you want a true corporate life experience, you should pick Owens Corning.

Advice to Management

To give more valuable feedback. I was given such great feedback for so long and then I was not offered a position in the developmental program, but another change to intern again.

kicked ass
Toledo, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Rewarding work, great Co workers and company

Too short should be longer

Look past what you are assigned to do, ask for more work and talk to people from other departments

Advice to Management

Don't apologize for the area of toledo, own it and show why it's great.

Great opportunity to dive into real world projects and begin making a difference as an engineer.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support of everyone in the company.

Sometimes difficult to work on projects assigned due to various manufacturing reasons.

Listen more and talk less. There is a lot of knowledge to be obtained from everyone in the company.

Advice to Management

Allow overtime if projects require.

Rewarding, Fun, Challenging experience that made me a better engineer.
Brunswick, ME | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to get involved in anything that interested me at the plant. The program was set up to expose all interns to plants other than their host location. In addition to the engineering side of the process I also learned about other aspects of the company.

12 weeks is a short period of time. I would have liked to have been involved in the entirety of long term projects.

Jump right in and get involved. Ask lots of questions and ask to be a part of anything that interests you.