Intern at Owens Corning Internship? Submit a Review

Gaining many years worth of knowledge in a three month period.

Dallas, TX | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and people at the facility are great.

The industrial setting is a very fun and interesting environment to be a part of.

The job itself is exciting and the projects seem very applied and effective from a learning perspective.

There aren't many walls between the floor workers and upper management (I.E. Everyone works with each other)

The lack of being able to travel to other Owens Corning facilities (I.E. All focus is on the plant I'm stationed at, less company learning opportunities). Not a major concern but probably the only one I could think of.

Be willing to communicate with many people in your everyday job. Look to help others and be people friendly. Have a strive to learn and keep improving.

Advice to Management

To keep improving on breaking down communication barriers. The less communication barriers the healthier the work environment.

Tell me about yourself.

Give us an example of a time you came across a conflict in the workplace and how you handled it.

Enjoy the ride

Toledo, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are always willing to help you learn

The work is challenging and rewarding

You get to interact with the executives of the business

You could shadow other areas to see if you were interested in areas besides the one you were currently in.

Learn how to manage time between various projects

Create goals and timelines for yourself

Overwhelmed at first, but that went away quickly.

Just learn as much as you can and not be afraid to ask questions. The atmosphere and culture here is very open and everyone is willing to help you succeed and thrive. No question is too dumb to ask.

Strategic Marketing Intern

Toledo, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to leadership, growth opportunities

location - I'm not a huge fan of Toledo

fantastic place to launch a career with unparalleled access to company executives

Advice to Management

No real complaints.

Behavior based questions.

Summer Internship that has excelled my knowledge of FInance and Owens Corning

Toledo, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning all the aspects of Finance that contribute to each industry specifically Residential Insulation. Working closely with the team during month end close and other projects to gain an understanding of what the work is and the impact it has.

The least thing I like about the internship is I would like to see more events during the work day or after.

Ask questions about what your doing including why your doing that specific job, stay curious show that the work is meaningful and that you want to understand the business and material your working on, plan for your project accordingly meet with people especially build a relationship with your manger, network outside of your department to gain understanding of Owens Corning as a whole and for opportunities in the company.

Fulfilling work in a manufacturing setting

Dallas, TX | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with people, learning about how the plant makes the product, designing tools to improve function.

Distance Job was away from reasonable housing. The only option we were pointed to was 1+ hours away drive, and there was no help finding an alternative place. Found other housing option but it was still pretty far away.

Safety is a huge concern of both the employees and management of the company. I really feel this is the most safety-focused company I have ever worked for and that is a very good thing.

Advice to Management

The beginning of the internship was filled with a lot of wasted time, followed by a lot of crunch time now. Some overlay would have been nice between the previous interns and the new ones to get the new ones ready, or just some employee ready to explain how the plant works would have been nice. Our manager was very busy when we first got here and it was difficult to know what we were suppossed to be doing.

Name a time and how you overcame a difficult coworker.

What is your greatest achievement.

what do you do when you dont have time to get something done.

Busy Having Fun

Toledo, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

work life balance, culture, compensation, experience

not as spacious as it could be, better utilization of space, making every department have a integrated feel to it

make sure that you do your research on the company, be familiar with the services and products that they offer, be prepared to work, be open to new challenges and task

Becoming an Artist-Engineer: Custom Design Work to Expand Glass Markets and Make the World Greener

Columbus, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I love the people--everyone is extremely kind and helpful. The safety culture here in particular is more risk-conscious and comprehensive than anywhere I have ever worked (I have a background in machining.)

Also, I learned about so many new and innovative composite processing techniques--classes on composites in school couldn't come close.

I submitted a patent this summer...

I was encouraged to 3D print all of my design work to show to customers--it's amazing to see my drawings become real parts.

It's in Ohio, and I go to the University of Michigan.

If anything, I would have liked the company to provide centralized housing for the interns--finding an apartment was a pain and interns were not introduced to each other before we started at the company.

I worked in Granville, OH, at Owens Corning's main research facility. If you want to do research here, you will need some type of graduate degree. Their development program (a rotation program) is definitely worth considering, especially if you have a background in materials science, chemistry, mechanical engineering, or chemical engineering.

Advice to Management

Standard housing for interns.

Diversity here was excellent for the industry (especially in terms of race), but men still dominate the top research and management positions. Try to attract more exceptional women.

There were only behavioral interviews. I did discuss my technical experience in them.

They asked about my prior experiences in a team environment and on projects. They had me discuss my previous engineering experience listed on my resume. They asked about a time of failure. Typical questions.

I spent a long time answering these questions, so they did not ask more than 5 questions total.

Later on, I had a conference call with the group I was placed in at the company (after receiving an offer). At that time, my technical skills and competencies were evaluated.

Finding Yourself: The Owens Corning Experience

Toledo, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone was always willing to help you succeed and would set you up to do so.

Having the ability to connect with some of the higher up executives without feeling intimidated or insignificant

Having challenging, but not overly stressful work every day.

Each day provided new opportunities to learn and grow

I wish my project would have had a little more structure to it, but that also kept it interesting by having to investigate things for myself.

Just be open to all of the opportunities given to you and try your best.

Ryan Steinmetz Gains Valuable Skills in His Internship with Fortune 500 Company

Toledo, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship provides many great opportunities. It allows for great resume and great networking working for a Fortune 500 Company. It also challenges all the interns to think outside of the box and to work outside of their comfort zone. It also provides opportunities to learn about new products. The company stresses the value of sustainability and safety which are both very important things in everybody's life. The company also allows for its interns to get real-life experience and to see what all goes in to being a part of a major company. Everybody is extremely willing to help their coworkers and the culture is fantastic.

My project was a little hard to figure out and had to be changed a little bit, but this provided the perfect challenge for me as an intern.

I would encourage anybody to work for Owens Corning. There are no outstanding negatives to working for them and they help interns to grow. Everybody is treated with absolute respect and the company prepares its workers for the real world. They also have a great training program for anybody who is offered a full-time job.

Advice to Management

I think the company is doing everything they need to do in order to be a fantastic company. Anybody who is willing to go after opportunities will be able to find a home at Owens Corning.

I do not really remember the interview. I remember talking about my experiences working and playing sports. The interview was fairly laid back, but it still evaluated my character and the transferrable skills that I would be able to bring to Owens Corning.

Great opportunity for growth outside of an academic setting.

Toledo, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects that I am working on have a direct impact on the company.

Sometimes the intern social events run a little long after work.

Take initiative and don't be afraid to think outside of the box in the midst of ambiguous situations!