Intern at Thrivent Financial IT Internship Program? Submit a Review

Real life experience with real, intelligent people

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the experience of working on an agile team, and that I was trusted with my time and with the tasks that were assigned to me. I was welcomed to the team and immediately felt a part of it. I also really liked the training provided to me to be able to use the applications that the Investments IT teams use.

Sometimes there were not enough things for me to do (at least in the beginning) so I had a lot of down time. Once I had tasks to do, I felt my time was better spent and more valuable to my team.

I wish I had done more research on agile, and had known more about it coming in. Since I am a computer science major with no finance classes working in Investments, I also wish I had taken a finance class to better prepare me for the role.

Advice to Management

All of these aforementioned issues were handled appropriately in my opinion.

What experience I have working on a team
Experience with programming languages and database management systems

An Enjoyable and Rewarding Summer with Thrivent Financial

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my internship are the people I work with, company culture, pay, and the ongoing opportunities to improve in the workplace and individually.

Honestly, nothing.

Open your ears and listen to the professionals that you get to work with. Learn as much as you can and figure out what you do or don't want to do with your life, both cases are very beneficial to you. NETWORK!! Get to know other people around the office and always be approachable because you never know what opportunity can jump out at you. Have fun and be yourself.

The Thrivent Internship has fueled my learning, and the people I had the pleasure of working with are what makes this company truly great.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was the great team that I had the privilege to work with this summer. They have helped me learn so much about the company and the technologies used (specifically database technologies). Another great advantage for me was that I was able to learn so much more by applying my skills in a real situation at Thrivent rather than just in a classroom setting. One example of this is with SQL server where in the classroom we worked with one local instance, but at Thrivent, there are many instances with multiple databases on each instance (and there are multiple platforms that exist at Thrivent).

Probably the only thing that I didn't like about the internship was some of the more administrative things. For example, getting access to systems as an IT intern was not easy (this is probably a good thing from a security perspective, but sometimes it took days to get access to systems). Another thing that was confusing at first was that my manager was technically a manager of another team, but he also managed all interns within the division. This worked fine after I figured out that this was the case, but it would have been nice to be managed by my specific team manager rather than an "intern manager".

My advice would be that with many companies, you might hear that they are a great place to work, but in reality, this is not true. From my experience I can speak to the fact that Thrivent is truly a great place to work. The opportunities to learn are everywhere, the people here are great, and I've always felt pushed by fellow interns and teammates to continue to learn new things that will help the team and organization in the long run.

A Flexible Work-Life Balance Internship at Thrivent Financial in Appleton

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexible work/life balance, pay, kind and respectful employees

I least enjoyed the amount of down time I had.

I wish I knew what department specifically I was in and my job description. That would have been helpful in preparing for this internship.

Tell me about yourself.
What was the most challenging thing you've encountered in your life, so far?
What experience have you had in the IT field?

Where Dreams Come True.

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning so many new things and getting smarter every single day.

Sometimes there is a lack of direction and vision.

Be prepared to work hard. You will learn a lot, if you make the effort.

Advice to Management

Friendlier maintenance staff.

Tell me about yourself.

A great opportunity to work alongside others in your field and pursue work that interests you in a meaningful and practical way.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work alongside a mentor.
Even as an intern, I feel included in my work and I'm able to contribute in a meaningful way.
Having a cubicle with a window to look outside.

I wish interns were given a discount for GOTO Metro bus passes through Thrivent.

It is important that you reach out to others if you have any questions and need additional work. And make sure you don't take on more work than you can handle, it's okay to say no sometimes.

Advice to Management

I think that Thrivent is doing a good job to promote and facilitate a good work environment.

What made you interested in pursuing an internship at Thrivent?
What do you know about Thrivent?
How do you overcome difficult situations that you may face?
What were some of your favorite classes to take in college?

Great place to be welcomed, challenged, and gain real world experience.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern and full-time employee communities were great. It was exposure to real projects.

At times I ran out of things to do.

This is a great company to start at. Everyone is very welcoming and willing to answer any and all questions. I wish I would have known how unique a work environment like this is.

Thrivent Mutual Fund Accounting IT Programming Internship

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The co-workers I get to work with make the experience so much better. I am able to relate and learn a lot through them in just a couple of weeks.

In the beginning, I was having hardware problems and did not have access to any of the programs and systems I would need later on in the internship. I also had to complete tons of training videos that took me 2 weeks to finish.

Coming from a very good background and history of the company I work for, I came in already knowing a lot from the company, just because so many of my family members have and still do work here

.................

The pay could have been better

.....................

Advice to Management

Internship with a unique company that cares about their customers and employees and proves it.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible scheduling, friendly environment, generous pay.

There are times when I (and other interns) run out of things to do and kind of have to waste time.

This internship is what you make of it, so utilize it to your professional advantage and take every opportunity you can get. If you are motivated in that way, this company will help you to do so in every way and you will experience what it means to be a part of an organization that cares.

Advice to Management

Organization of the internship programs and their duties, superiors, and expectations of them is lacking and would be helpful if improved upon.

What motivates you?

How important is it to you to give back?