AOL Internship Program

Great experience
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to do analyst level work, exposure to company and leadership

Internship program is great, however work was not for me.

Great experience as an intern, however due to recent events and layoffs, would be wary of joining full time.

Amazing, interactive learning experience with talented people in a flexible and comfortable work environment
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning opportunities; amazing people; atmosphere

Long application process

Definitely need to love being in a social and open environment.

My AOL Internship was both challenging and rewarding and allowed me to transition into a full-time employee
Baltimore, MD | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, culture, high-level of responsibility and autonomy

Liked most - Paid social marketing

Liked least - daily reporting

Must be a proactive self starter

Advice to Management

Allow interns to grow by assigning longer-term strategic projects along with day to day work

I turned my favorite internship into my first job.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay, benefits, and hard-working culture.

Occasional chaotic/extremely busy work environment.

AOL pays their interns in the online media field better than practically any other organization and offers amazing benefits and professional development opportunities through the program.

Customer Satisfaction is a hefty challenge
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of opportunities to prove you are responsible.

Represent your company by dealing with external clients

Great work culture

There are no cons.

Be willing to learn, take on new challenges and ask questions

Advice to Management

Give your employees the attention they need to guide them when they need it.

Communicating with 100,000 people in 140 characters or less.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was amazing to get a chance to work with various different brands that were under the AOL group, getting the different kind of feel and voices that each brand was working with. It was also very interesting to work with the various celebrities and talent that are affiliated with AOL, for example creating tweets for Nicole Richie and Rocco DiSpirito.

I do not like how big this company is, there isn't much sense of camaraderie or unity that I've felt in the last 4 months of working here. I felt very constraint with the connections I was making and the company is very segmented as to who interacts with who.

The AOL internship program allowed me to delve deeper into the field of my interest and permitted me to get a taste of what I would potentially get into once I graduate college. My supervisor made sure that I was working on interesting things yet still refining basic social media and editing skills needed for the position.

Advice to Management

Involving interns more in meetings, getting trained so that you are able to take on your own projects at the end of the internship period, more cultural programs where interns get integrated with AOL workers rather than interns only hanging out with interns, more fluidity between different brands and getting exposure to other possible positions within the company.

Ready for a real job but have no experience? AOL offers great opportunities and responsibility to young candidates.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and people at AOL are amazing and give you real responsibility so you actually learn from the experience.

when comparing this internships to others there is nothing i really disliked.

Good growth opportunities and great energetic smart people.

AOL research internship that provided me with invaluable experience & opportunites going forward.
Dulles, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity for responsibility thoroughout my team

Ability to travel

Ability to move up/progress in the organization

Great managment team/boss

Location

Pay

AOL offers amazing internship opportunities that give you real world experience and possible movement in the org as full time positions.

Learn Ins And Outs Of Reporting And Aggregating For A National Newspaper
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office's atmosphere and openness to your ideas, the real responsibilities you get and the pressure that comes with it.

I have a 2-hour commute and had to be in by 7:45. Was very grateful to be paid but it is low ($10/hour) considering most interns live in NYC.

Be confident in the interview process, be prepared to learn and learn fast, be able to tell them what work you've already done that you're proud of, show you know how to find good stories.

Advice to Management

Stricter rules about taking breaks and hours would be helpful as an intern only making an hourly wage. Again, grateful for the compensation but it is a little low considering offices are in NYC.

Tech Team Needs Editorial Intern; Should Have Picked Someone with Programming Skills
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved how much responsibility I was given. Halfway through the internship, most of my team quit, and I got to help hire replacements.

I didn't have enough technical knowledge to fit in or feel like I was really helping the team.

AOL, and especially the Huffington Post, is a great place to work. There are lots of perks and the compensation is fair.

Advice to Management

Allow interns to receive pay raises. I was paid less than everyone else on my team, including other interns, because I was in the editorial role and they were in technical roles.