Intern at Blue Shield of California Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

Professional responsibilities from day one

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship was that I was treated as if I were a full time employee and given responsibilities that were pivotal to the team's success. Another aspect of the internship was that the internship program as a whole was run very well, facilitating learning about the company and field of business the entire time. We were also participating in activities on a weekly basis with the entire intern cohort to provide networking opportunities with each other as well as with top executives in the company. One other component was the transparency of what it would take to receive a full time offer post internship. This made it very clear on steps you needed to take in order to receive an offer.

One area of improvement would be to have the managers be more included with what is going on with the internship cohort on a weekly basis.

Be ready to immerse yourself within your team and get to know other people in different departments.

Advice to Management

Involve the managers in more cohesive way to encourage them to come to intern events.

How do you think you fit the job description?

Forty-year old career transitioner given an opportunity to learn again

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship, opportunity to network with key people in organization, being able to put theory and textbook knowledge into practice

I came during a huge event that is complicated and bureaucratic; not sure if I like the bureaucracy

People overthink a lot in corporate...

Advice to Management

People are scared of folks in management. That shouldn't be the case. They are treated like celebrities and they aren't. They are employees just like anyone else. Emphasize putting your best foot forward for the organization, not because of leadership.

I can't remember

BSC Interns are treated very well

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Events for all the interns (35 spread out across 3+ office locations) to meet up in San Francisco and network with each other and other members of the company were really fun and beneficial. Overall very positive atmosphere throughout the company, very welcoming to interns.

Communication for intern-related events was not always timely or communicated well.

Organization is better than expected, live out their values in their mission statement everyday. Internship program is very well run.

Advice to Management

Separating the interns into two groups "eligible for conversion" and "not eligible for conversion" at intern-wide networking events was a little uncomfortable and divisive. The word "conversion" was odd in and of itself but I think it would have been better to have a separate event specifically for those eligible for employment to network because it was a little bit uncomfortable to see the recruiters flock to those people while the rest of us didn't really know what to do.

Excellent organization to start your healthcare career in

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, learning softwares, working on a project that benefits the company

Not much to do at times, seems like some teams are coming up with stuff as they go versus being fully prepared for their intern

Be eager to show how you can contribute to your team, look to speak with other people not in your department

Great place to intern and gain real work experience.

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

They allow you to take ownership over some projects and really encourage you to take lead.

As a person seeking for full time employment I would like it to be longer.

Make sure you express your needs in your career and how the internship can help meet your goals.

Thirsty for knowledge and experience, drink from the firehose.

San Diego, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

A trusting and encouraging environment to learn and develop

Getting over my own expectations

Use training materials to your advantage
be transparent in your dealings with management (they are there to help you succeed)
Reading documentation is a must
Ramp up is the mostly costly process IT is involved with, ask how you can expedite it
Don't complain about those things that are lacking, instead, be assertive in asking for those things that will help you achieve progress

Advice to Management

Introduce interns to passionate team members
provide a clear path to success

The best opportunity to crack into the industry.

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship is the ability to come in one day and learn something completely new.

Not as structured as I would have liked.

Be open to learning as much as possible during your time in the internship.

Deep dive into Medicare Part C plans from the marketing/communications perspective

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people/teammates, relatively flexible schedule, fun location to live, other interns in the program, ownership of the project

Office is quiet and generally an older crowd, great for mentors, not so great for social things like lunch.

I feel the internship was very much what I expected it to be. I thought/had hoped there would be more interns at this location (only 3) but I would still do it again. My opinion is largely influenced by not knowing anyone else in the LA area.

Advice to Management

Liven up the office. Very quiet, somewhat uninspiring place to work even though the company does great things on the whole it is not reflected in the physical working environment.

Markets intern gains real work experience and exposure in the dynamic world of health insurance.

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining exposure to the health insurance industry

I wish there was more opportunity to connect/talk with other interns to see what they are working on in order to gain an even greater understanding of health insurance.

I would tell a candidate about how truly nice and genuine the people at blue shield are. The people that I have worked with here have made me see what a great company looks like.

Immersive and educational

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Really being a part of the team as if I were a full time employee. Working on projects and assignments that add value to the day to day operations of the team and company.

Getting used to the computer glare

For actuarial interns, take The Infinite Actuary Technical Skills Course prior to the internship so that you start working on assignments more quickly and confidently.

Advice to Management

I would hope to be able to join the team after the internship and more transparency or communication about potential positions would be nice.

Where do you imagine yourself if 5 years?
Why Blue Shield of California?