Intern at AFLAC Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

Fantastic summer

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Team Members, my fellow interns, my work environment, and the tasks assigned to me.

I do not have any cons.

Be prepared to have a great time working here. The friendly and welcoming culture at Aflac is all around you the moment you step into the building. They are very dedicated to helping others and not only through selling insurance. They will take time out of their work to help out someone is who just starting out in his./her career get used to a corporate environment and routine of daily work.

Excellent experience with understanding and helpful Co-workers

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience gained and the intern opportunities

A minor issue but I would have liked to live in the Aflac provided housing, however I wasn't offered it because I have family in Columbus

Give everything your best and don't be afraid to ask questions

Summer internship with Aflac proved to be better than expected and more than just a great learning experience.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The employees with Aflac, the facilities, the projects covered at work, the occasional events to tackle as team building opportunities, and interaction with other interns.

Not given an opportunity to shadow other interns to observe more aspects of Aflac's corporate business.

Before the internship, I had a very small idea of what Aflac did as a company. I knew they did insurance, but the type of insurance not completely understood. This had no real effect on my internship experience, but it was an essential aspect to have a grasp of since I worked in actuarial.

Advice to Management

Management has little to no need for improvement.

Would you be happy living in Columbus, GA long term?
How much knowledge do you have of Excel and Visual Basic?
How dedicated are you to pursuing an actuarial career? How many exams have you passed? Are you signed up for exams currently?
Do you know the differences between the SOA and CAS?
What do you know about supplemental insurance?
Do you know anyone that works/worked at Aflac?

Aflac Investment Tax Internship

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My favorite part of the internship was being able tot apply the knowledge I gained in the classroom to real world business situations and also further my learning.

There wasn't really anything I could say I disliked.

I wish I would have known which department within accounting I would be working with. Investment Tax was a great experience though.

Eye Opening Experience

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the people

Not having work to do

Make sure you prepare yourself and be a self-starter

Resiliency pays off!

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My work was directly involved with Aflac's strategy. My projects were highly visible and allowed our executive leadership to make the most informed decisions. My managers were great, they treated me with respect, had great personalities, did not micromanage, and I was allowed to work autonomously.

I had to wait 3.5 weeks for the software and hardware needed for my position. That is 35% of a 10 week internship, unsatisfactory!

Aflac is a wonderful employer. This place is filled with opportunity. Take initiative, network, learn as much as you can. Opportunities for great careers are here, it's up to you to show what you're capable of. Treat every day as if it was a tryout.

Advice to Management

Aflac isn't the most agile company. Reduce the bureaucracy in every function. When trying to obtain my resources needed for my job, my managers and I have spoke with many people and filled out many redundant forms. It was obvious that communication did not move easily between the silos.

Opportunity to add value to your professional skill set while working in one of the best work environments in the US

Charlotte, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think it was the people. They were always very helpful and made sure our needs were taken care of. Also, they allowed you to be exposed to what you wanted to. For example, If maybe i wanted to see a little more of the benefit enrollment side, they allowed me to get more exposed to it.

I really don't have any complaints. It sounds cliche, but i can't think of anything at the moment.

I would tell them to not be afraid to ask questions. A lot of times it seems like you should know what you are doing or what to do. Just be prepared to ask questions and know that they will be willing to help you.

Advice to Management

I have no advice right now for management. My manager was very busy with two jobs basically. The corporate venture team though was very helpful and approachable at anytime.

What makes you want to work for Aflac?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years of financial work?
What is an intangible trait that you possess that would add value to the corporate venture team?

The Aflac summer actuarial internship proved to be better than expected and my obtained knowledge will greatly further my career

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Coming to work in an environment where I was comfortable around those I worked with.
Interacting with the other interns during and outside of work.
The facilities and location of Aflac.
The opportunity to gain experience pertaining to my future career.

I would have liked an opportunity to shadow other interns to discover other aspects about Corporate Aflac.

I wish I had known more about the business that Aflac offers to the public before starting my internship and interviewing. I knew that Aflac sold insurance, but I was unsure about the specifics.

Advice to Management

There was little to no need for improvement.

How much do you know about Aflac? What type of insurance does Aflac cover?
How much do you enjoy your field of study? Do you think you will be pursuing it long-term?
What do you think about Columbus, GA?
Do you enjoy interacting with others?
What is your personal future goal?
What do you like most about what you study and why did you choose it?
How would you evaluate your own personal ability to communicate with others?

Bring your classroom learning to life while taking an active roll in the organization and making a positive impact

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Getting to work with department heads and Vice Presidents in the company
-Getting to work on large projects sponsored by the CFO
-Fully furnished housing
-Speaker series where various executives come and speak to the intern class
-Very encouraging supervisors and mentors who further developed me as a professional

-Few opportunities to work with other interns on projects

This is a very ethical organization where interns are a valued part of the company and get to work on big meaningful projects. The management and leadership care about the employees and want to develop the interns professionally. This was an amazing learning experience and a great way to get a taste of corporate America.

Advice to Management

They can provide more opportunities for interns to work together on projects within the company.

- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
-Tell me about a time when you had manage a project? How did you handle it? How did you handle and push back if there was some?
-What do you hope to get out of this internship?

Business Analytics Internship

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone around me was always happy to help me with anything I needed or teach me anything I wanted to know. My work was meaningful, and I was always treated as a valued member of the team. I had a lot of freedom within my work which gave me many opportunities to grow. Also, the included housing was a great benefit, and I was grateful for the opportunity to hear from many leaders in the company.

I dislike that before I started, I was very unclear on what my work would be because I never received any sort of job description. Once I arrived though, my position turned out to be fantastic and I really have no complaints.

I didn't know that Aflac is a very giving company. The culture is extremely warm and friendly. I expected a stereotypical stuffy office, so this was a great surprise.

Are you organized/ how do you keep organized?