Intern at Aetna Summer Associate Program? Submit a Review

A step out of my comfort zone with confidence, OR They saw in me what I didn't see in myself; My internship was a blessing

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

My department, my team, my projects, university relations, the environment, what Aetna stands for, the freedom, and the flexibility, and the overall focus on our own personal development

Nothing, I loved it!

Aetna cares. They care about their CEO all the way down to their janitors. They care about our personal lives, just as much as our professional ones. Their values align with my values and are values that every person should care about. The environment is so happy, friendly, open, free, liberating, empowering, motivating. Aetna makes me look at insurance so differently now.

Advice to Management

Nothing, everything was great!

What are your future goals/aspirations and how do they relate to what Aetna does/stand for?
What are your strengths and how do you try to turn your weaknesses into strengths?

Deciding that Insurance Is What I Want to Do for my Career as an Actuary

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed the challenging projects and assignments. I also was able to network with professionals in my industry

I don't have any.

Be ready to learn!

Share a time that you were challenged and how you handled it.
Do you prefer accuracy or speed in your results?

A life-changing internship experience that shapes your future for the better

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work/Life Balance, Substantial work that was truly empowering, incredible relationship-building and networking opportunities.

I wish I was in the office where my manager was (she was in Atlanta and I was in Connecticut) - telework is common at Aetna

You cannot be entirely money motivated; it has to be about compassion as well.

Great Experience, Great Expertise, Great Future in Store

Omaha, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office environment was great. I was given a lot of freedom with my project to allow me to grow and develop as an employee. I never really felt like an "intern".

I felt that some of the intern activities got a little old and unproductive.

This is a place where you can truly be you, you aren't molded into one specific type of employee and you are given the opportunity to really have your work be yours.

Finance Leadership Development Program Provides Ample Opportunities

Professional development
Ownership of projects
Exposure to executives

Some University Relations events

Take time to read up on current events in the health insurance industry.
Understand basic finance/accounting language and understanding.

I learned alot about myself this summer.

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The relationships that I formed with my managers have been truly incredible. They included me in all meetings, discussions, interviews, town halls and conferences to make sure I got the most out of my internship.

I did not receive access to wifi.

The atmosphere and working environment of Aetna is amazing. I have never felt more welcomed into something for such a short period of time. It really made this summer one to remember.

A finance role with real responsibilities and real networking opportunities

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to various departments, honing financial skills, relaxed and non-competitive culture

Some other interns were far more interested in networking than working. Separating finance interns from other interns created a bit of a divide.

Demonstrate leadership and actually care about changing health insurance. If all you care about is finance, go to a bank. Finance at Aetna doesn't pay as well, but its applied to real political issues and the effects are visible.

- How have you demonstrated leadership?
- Give me an example of a time where you started a project but had to change course mid-way due to issues?
- If you had to buy equity in a company based on one fact from Yahoo Finance, what would that fact be?

Tasked and Trusted with Real Projects

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager really exposed me to a lot of the aspects of the business, I was able to work from home some days, was assigned to a great mentor, and I had a lot of other interns around me for support.

Just the location and the long commute.

I gained real hands-on knowledge of the health care industry this summer and had no mindless or silly work tasked to me.

Aetna Internship Program: Future Job at a Glance

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the challenging/meaningful work.

Sometimes the pace and quantity of work were slow, sometimes fast.

If you want to enjoy your summer, have a good work/life balance, get paid well, and have strong future prospects at a full-time offer, then Aetna is a good internship program for you.

Aetna uses the internship program to identify, recruit, and hire the best talent.

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Manager's assignments were engaging, well thought out, and relevant.

The other internship offers paid more but did not have the same employment prospects. I accepted this internship based on the high possibility it would turn into a full time position, and it did. None of the other internships I had could provide such prospects.

Aetna is a fantastic place to work. The people are the best of the best, the companies future is bright, and getting in the door is highly competitive. Once you are in, your opportunities are vast and you will be challenged and encouraged.

Advice to Management

I think that Aetna's compensation could be a little better. I was disappointed at my initial full time offer compensation amount, but after negotiation their offer was significantly increased to a number I feel is competitive.

I was offered the position based on my resume during the interview. The interview was more telling me about the position to see if I would be interested and a good fit. It was a discussion about the types of projects I would be working on. At the conclusion of the internship interview I was offered the position.