Intern at Aetna Summer Associate Program? Submit a Review

GMDP Internship

Atlanta | October 2017 | FORMER INTERN

Great program run out of the presidents office
Opportunity to learn all about healthcare
Fun culture, very friendly people

Program is run out of HQ, so satellite offices get less of the experience
Lot of WebEx from field office

Comments

Great company to work for, dynamic industry, very well managed and leading innovator.

Amazing Experience in Health Care

Hartford, CT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on real work and getting many opportunities to network with peers.

The group capstone project was a good experience but very time consuming and at times it prohibited me from doing my assignments.

I wish I had known how well Aetna treats its employees. It offers great benefits, competitive pay, great people to work with, and plenty of room for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Compensation was very competitive, hours were reasonable, promotions are plentiful, and the training was amazing. Nothing I would change about Aetna.

Name a time you had to deal with a difficult person.
When did you take a risk and fail?
When did you take a risk and succeed?
What is risk?
What interests you about this career field?
What do you know about the company?

Great Learning Experience

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work/life balance. the structure of the internship.

Working on the Capstone Project.

The best summer internship

Real, meaningful work that allowed me to grow and feel a part of something.

Hartford, CT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of autonomy I was allowed in doing my work. The people I worked with were all wonderful and supported my development.

Hartford is not the best city for early in career employees.

Educate yourselves on the healthcare industry and make sure it is something that you would like to pursue a career in.

Advice to Management

I thought that Aetna had everything pretty well put together.

Describe a time when you showed leadership.
Elaborate on a time when you did not succeed and how did you respond.

They treat you well, and they take things seriously.

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects I worked on were actually meaningful to the business, and I felt like my work actually mattered and will be used.

The office I chose to intern at was not the headquarters, so there were not many interns to hang out with after work. I recommend working out of the Headquarters.

The office culture is okay, but definitely not the most laid back of the other two places I've interned. Often times it's alright, but occasionally the environment can feel a bit stuffy.

Advice to Management

The only thing that could improve from my perspective (and maybe what I'd like to see is very different from others) is the culture. Sometimes it felt like people took everything a bit too seriously.

I don't remember anything specific from the interview. They asked me about the work I did at my last internship, so I explained it. I'm very social for an actuary, so I honestly just sat down, very relaxed, and just had a conversation with my interviewers. I could see the relief on their faces after I made a few jokes and they could tell that I can easily talk to people.

Improve marketing operations by utilizing in-class data analysis.

Hartford, CT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Given a real project that can have a profound impact on how the agency runs/operates.

I was a field associate in the Wellesley, MA office and it felt like there were much more events specifically for those in the Hartford, CT headquarters.

This is internship is a fast paced experience where you are absolutely expected to contribute real results. Marketing within Aetna is especially growing very fast right now, and it opens up a lot of opportunity to work in many areas and "step up to plate" to tackle real problems.

Intellectually challenging and great practical training

Atlanta, GA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Intellectually challenging, great practical training, great company culture

I really didn't dislike anything

Well-rounded internship opportunity

An Opportunity to Learn

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learned a lot of information about healthcare and the company as a whole as well as unique problems and trends facing insurance and Aetna.

I could have taken on more tasks.

If you want to gain some corporate experience in this area of healthcare, this is a great place to be. The time and money spent on developing us interns is really above and beyond. Aetna values your input as an intern and it is a valuable experience.

Advice to Management

I think managers don't need to be as worried about "scaring you away." At times, it seemed like they didn't want to assign me to too much work at one time, or too difficult etc.

"Tell me about a time you had to explain complex information to somebody"
"Tell me about a time you failed and had to adjust and overcome a task"
Mostly behavioral type questions like these.

I thought I would be an intern for the summer, not a highly valued full-time employee with benefits!

Hartford, CT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hourly wage is incredible; being flown into headquarters to hear directly from the CEO and President; being given real-life work that adds value to the company.

Not being able to interact more with all the interns based at headquarters.

The culture is nurturing and friendly, but there is a lot of responsibility given to you. You will be placed on a Capstone team to work on and present real deliverables for real problems that you will present to real executives- but it's interesting and fun! Take it seriously, and you'll get so much out of it.

Advice to Management

More detailed training and guided expectations

What are some strengths of yours?
How proficient are you with Excel?
Have you used Microsoft Access?

Opportunity to grow and develop according to the Aetna way

Hartford, CT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Some of the best aspects were the capstone project, the guest speakers, and the chairman's challenge.

Occasionally, I felt bored but this was remedied by asking for more responsibilities.

Some advice I would give to potential interns is to work hard and always ask what more you can do.

Advice to Management

I have no advice.

What is something that you are most proud of that is not listed on your resume?
What is one word that you would like us to remember about you?