Intern at Excella Consulting Extension Center Program? Submit a Review

Perfect way to complement school work with real client web application development.

Great people, location, pay

There are no cons.

They don't force you to go get coffee for the office. You actually matter, unlike many other places.

The XC - What College Should Actually Be

Blacksburg, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Taught real world skills, provided real experience, was flexible and challenging

That I still had to attend classes that didn't teach nearly as much as the internship

Don't let the school work slip

Excella excellently sculpts young minds into the future leaders of the IT, Software Development, and Agile Consulting Industry

Blacksburg, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The mentors were all very approachable and understanding about the circumstances of school work. They were able to work with my schedule to provide me great opportunities to learn and grow as a software development while never losing sight of the end goal, graduating and joining Excella full time. They office was great, both in atmosphere and attitude, providing a great place to develop young minds.

The difficult side of being a part time consultant, and adapting your schedule to the work hours is that you often have to prioritize what you're working on. I wasn't able to attend meetings and learn about the project as a whole because we felt learning software development skills was a priority and my time in the office was better spent coding then observing and participating in meetings.

Excella is an incredible opportunity. You won't find many, if any, places that are willing to commit to training you hands on with client work. I never felt alone when tackling a problem, and there was always a mentor available to discuss ideas and answer any questions I had. The amount of support available to you will most likely not be matched by any other internship offer you have. The Extension Center has a single goal of helping you grow into a better and smarter software developer, and are willing to put in as much effort as you are in achieving that goal.

Advice to Management

My only advice is that our job as consultants isn't just about being able to code, there are a lot of other aspects that can be introduced while in the extension center. Things like client interactions and meeting etiquette are other large aspects of consulting as you leave the student role and enter full time status. Introducing these interactions to students could smooth the transition into full time.

A lot of the interview process will be analyzing how well you interact in a group setting, and then you will receive a small code sample to analyze for bugs. Excella isn't looking for just the right answers, they are looking to see how well you listen and receive instruction and if you have a drive to be a software developer. As long as you go in focused on improving as a team, you will be fine.

Excella's XC Providing an Easy Transition from Full Time Student to Full Time Employee

Blacksburg, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of work schedule with school work, mentorship from personable and intelligent people, real world application of class room skills to the working world, expansion on classroom materials, exposure to Agile-Scrum tactics

Remoteness from client

I wish I would have known how flexible the internship program was in terms of being able to take off and make up hours whenever you had an approaching deadline or test for school

Team oriented exercises to see how well you work with a new team of individuals

Learn to be the best, from the best! Practical programming for real clients.

Blacksburg, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working for real client, made my work feel meaningful and purposeful. I got to learn several languages not taught at my university in the classroom, and felt that what I achieved with Excella was the best representation of my skills and shined the brightest on my resume when I graduated and sought full time employment.

As with any consulting firm especially software development, I felt sometimes I was stuck without work while I interned.

Commit fully, try and work as much as possible because the opportunities you have to learn and be exposed to new incredible technologies far outweighs opportunities given in the classroom.

Advice to Management

Diversify the projects a student is on per semester, while this may hinder progress slightly on projects, it opens students up to more learning and makes them better prospective hires out of college.

Summer intern integrated as junior developer

Arlington, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being fully integrated as a developer on the team, rather than being regarded as an intern; the accessibility of the partners of the company; meeting people from different aspects of the company to gain a well rounded view of Excella

The on-boarding process onto the project could have been more thorough

They expect a lot out of their interns, including them as developers on the team which just as much responsibility to participate and contribute as other full time developers on the team. This provided extensively more skill development and personal growth that I have experienced from other internships.

Advice to Management

A potential improvement would be providing a travel reimbursement or a summer housing allocation for people moving up to the DC area for the summer who are not from the area.

Real experience as a real software consultant

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was not ever treated as an intern. We were thrown into project teams and were integrated as equals doing development. We were included on all decisions that affect the team and the project.

Onboarding was a little difficult because they expected us to be able to take care of ourselves, but that is the nature of software development.

Don't expect anyone to hold your hand during your time here. You will be expected to work well on your own but can ask questions when needed.

Advice to Management

As far as the summer internship, it would help to offer some sort of housing stipend or just better support finding housing in D.C.

How can you improve this code?
What work experience do you have?
Why are you interested in programming/software development?

Come and Get Paid to Learn!

Blacksburg, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learnt so much more than I have learnt in school that I know is applicable after college.

A lot of the interns already knew each other, so I felt out of place.

I think it would be important to stay open minded. Do not assume that you know everything. Come ready to learn at all times.

Advice to Management

I think that they could start with making employee events earlier and forced us to work with new people.

What (cartoon) character do you most define with and why?

Unrivaled real-world experience

Blacksburg, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, real-world experience, ability to learn while contributing

N/A. I did not dislike anything about this internship.

If you are interested in IT consulting and/or software development, this is the place to be. You will learn infinitely more real-world skills than you will in college courses.

If you want to learn, grow, and have a full time job prospect when you graduate, DO THIS

Blacksburg, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Our managers were there to mentor us and help us grow. They were also very flexible with work time and school priorities.

Sometimes difficult to schedule around school since only open M-F

If you're taking this internship, realize that it is a software development internship. If this is not the route you want to take in tech, it's probably not the best fit for you.