Intern at CSRA Internship Program? Submit a Review

The daily life as a intern at CSRA.

The hourly pay rate.

How we did not get paid on time for almost a whole month. The lack of duties we are given. Mostly just walking around trying to find something to do.

Be prepared to wait. Long onboarding process. Really slow.

Good, but little guidance

Birmingham, AL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Chance to learn things as a team.

Little guidance.

Pay attention in school.

Tell me about yourself.

Got paid for not doing much

Falls Church, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of schedule

Seems like the internship program/my manager didn't really have a plan for me this summer.
Most days I just sat there for 8 hours
Never received work even after asking multiple times
The pay could have been higher

Make sure to thoroughly speak with your manager to see what they specifically will have you be doing and what they want. Sitting around gets boring pretty quickly and you start to dread the internship.

Advice to Management

Higher compensation
Have an actual plan for the intern
Hand out full-time offers at the end of the internship (not in the fall, most companies let their interns know at the end of the internship which helps the intern plan for the semester and worry less)

What kind of projects did you work on while in school?

BE prepared to find your own projects!

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The mentors and learning resources given to you.

The onboarding process at CSRA was rough to say the least. I was not given access to the tools to work until halfway thought the intership nor paid until weeks after they told me they would.

Dont be afraid to ask any questions.

Advice to Management

Maybe have a plan or projects the Interns to work on when they arrive for the internship

None

Come work for a fortune 500! You might get the job you signed up for, or not, but it will be fun either way!

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team I was placed on is full of incredibly knowledgeable and amazing people! The atmosphere is great, it really feels like everyone is glad you're here.

Upper management is definitely not what is holding this company together, it seems like the dark shadowy figures that loom at the top of the food chain didn't care about their interns, the only redeeming factor to that is how much power and pull a group of full time employees on our side can have. After 7 weeks there are still pay issues, definitely not what we as interns expected from such a large company.

Please please please get the position you are going to intern for in writing! To many of us were moved into uninteresting fields or fields that were incredibly uncomfortable for us.

Advice to Management

I promise I will make this fit in this tiny box. The week immediately after on boarding you planned on switching time keeping systems? What kind of joke was that? It took some of us as long at 5 weeks to see a dollar out of our paid internship. Constantly having interns and employees pulled from work because of time conflicts, miscommunication between upper and middle management. if not for the determination of two middle managers it may have taken even longer to receive pay, 7 weeks into a 10 week program and pay is still an issue between some being overpaid and some missing entire weeks. Not having employee ID numbers for every intern day one, taking as long as 5 weeks to give one intern a laptop and profile. We as interns are put behind full time employees in the help/service desk, why is that, as the future of your company are we not a priority? This does not apply to my team manager, please make note of that as he has fought tooth and nail to be the best manager I have ever had

Oppportunities

Falls Church, VA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with executives daily

older employee environment

always try

Incredible opportunity to observe and learn from top business leaders.

Falls Church, VA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was and have been able to be in contact with top executives within the company. I was brought into high level meetings and given a great opportunity to understand how a major business works from a top down approach.

At times my workload would be very minimal and I felt as if I could've been given more work on certain days.

Go out of your way to be personable and talk to everyone. Do not be afraid to ask questions- your managers will understand that you are learning just as much as you are working. They will be more than willing to help you.

Learned a lot about professional software development

Columbia, MD | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned a lot about how professionals develop software,

A relaxed and comfortable work environment,

Flexible hours,

Improved my web programming skills

The commute from where I live was long

Learn Angular and Node js for web programming. Also make sure you have some experience with Git.

The Good The Bad The Ugly

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking Opportunities were good. Experience within a fortune 500 company. Ability to help people on a daily basis.

Finding out just how unprofessional some supervisors and managers are. No reward or punishment policy in place for unethical and unprofessional employees.

Every employer is different and every culture of a company may not resonate through the entire company. Don't let one supervisor turn you off to the entire company. Some companies allow lateral transfers with the possibilities of promotions. Take everything with a grain of salt and be sure to network regardless. Observe, Learn, Excel

Advice to Management

Although promotion within is a great idea that i support fully. Promoting someone without any management skills to a supervisory position can hurt a section more than it can help it. The company needs to look into having equal opportunity training at all levels. I noticed a specific issue that could have resulted in lawsuits and a possible arrest. The management ignored the situation completely.

What does your background experience consists of?