Capital Fellows Programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #26 Best Overall Internships

Fantastic program to provide mentorship to individuals looking to do public service work to benefit the lives of all Californians.
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship and training are unparalleled.

Pay. The stipend could be more competitive.

Do some research as to what working in the state capitol is like.

Advice to Management

Pay.

Interested in politics or public policy in California? Jump start your career with the Capital Fellows Program
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Limitless opportunities to network with the highest ranking public officials in the state.

Chance to work at an incredibly high level at an early age.

Cut through the red tape of civil service and bureaucracy.

My personal mentors were the Fair Political Practices Commission's Executive Director and Chief of Enforcement.

The pay was a little low when I first began, but in July 2014 the program announced a 30% pay increase for all of the fellows, making life in Sacramento absolutely manageable.

If you like a fast-paced work environment that requires you to track politics and constantly be processing new information, and your not afraid of a learning curve, consider the fellowship or a job at the Fair Political Practices Commission.

High Energy Fellowship Prepares Future Leaders of California
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to expand my network, and also the skills I already possessed this Fellowship honed. Most of the Fellows were offered jobs within the year that they are here. This Fellowship really separates the good from the great, and those who have talent for a future in this industry, and develops it in those who might not be as well equipped going into the Fellowship. The networks you create here will support you in any endeavor that you choose to embark on. And it gives you a very diverse look of many different industries, so you might learn aspects of the oil industry one day, and the next you will aspects of the health industry you never knew. Basically, we interact with CEOs from many different industries, and have to be just as much of an expert as they are.

You get thrown into the mix very early, and are expected to be a sponge from the get go. If you aren't good at that, you might have a hard time, however, I found this to be the best and at times the only way to learn what I needed to in order to be prepared for a career in the Capitol.

This is not just an internship. I liken it to a prestigious pre-med residency, so you should be mentally prepared that it is not going to be a walk in the park. However, it will prepare you for almost anything and everything, so by the end, you will be able to conquer a lot. Even if that means getting a job outside of the Capitol.

What is your view on AB 32? Do you see California as a leader in environmental law, or do you think that we can do more, if so what?

Advice to Management

Well, I would say that it is a struggle to survive on a Fellows' stipend, and that an increase in pay for next year would be beneficial.

Get out everything you put in and more
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking opportunities accross all areas of government, access to executive staff and lawmakers, networking opportunities with peers, ability to survey a wide array of government activities and departments at multiple levels including city, state, and federal. Also made very good and lasting friends in the program.

On occasion, felt babied. Fellowship staff puts a lot of time and effort into ensuring the best experience, sometimes bordering on too much structure.

This prompt is worded poorly. Advice to potential interns: go out of your comfort zone and attend events you wouldn't normally attend, ask questions you wouldn't normally ask, and make as many friends as you can. It's an opportunity like no other.

The state is undergoing a budgetary crisis. Pension demands cannot be met. You have to tell soon-to-be-retirees their pension payouts are going to be severely cut, if not eliminated entirely. How would you approach this?

What would you change in California state government? What's an issue facing California today, and how would you go about fixing it?

Advice to Management

More emphasis on direct job placement.

Capitol Fellows: Experience how it is to be a real legislative staffer.
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The program does a great job of exposing the fellows to all aspects of the job. From speaking to members, senior staff and consultants, from the legislative branch to the executive branch and even lobbyists, the program makes sure fellows are exposed to everything. The best part, however, is how fellows are treated in the building. They are truly treated like legislative staffers. They are respected and there is a high expectation of them, however, people understand they are learning. So often times people will extend their help a little more when they are dealing with fellows.

The stipend was okay. However, it has now been significantly increased.

Regardless of whether you know what you want to do with your life the Capitol Fellows Program is truly a program that develops people and enhances their network. The amount of exposure you get from this program is incredible. If you enjoy politics and/or policy this is a perfect opportunity to get a first hand look on statewide policy development and politics.

Can you tell us about an experience where you failed and what you did to overcome it?

If your boss asked you to staff a bill you fundamentally disagreed with what would you do and what you tell him/her?

Where do you stand on the political spectrum? And why?

Advice to Management

The stipend is paid once per month. I would have liked to get paid twice a month.

Government Transparency and a Millenial in State Government
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The network, the workload, and influencing policy.

The pay, but that increased this year.

The fellowship leads to successful paths in all fields of work, from elected officials, to Agency leaders, to entrepreneurs.

What can CA do to mitigate the effects of Proposition 13?

How would you handle a situation in which you oppose your supervisor's view?

Advice to Management

None.

A great balance of academic development in the area of public policy and administration and hands-on exposure to judicial administion.
Riverside, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the program was that it combines academic development through the graduate seminar in public policy and administration, exposure to statewide policy and application of that policy through field days in courts throughout the state, and hands-on work in the area of judicial administration through a full-time court placement.

NA NA NA NA

An interest in state policy and the work of the judicial branch is essential, but the program will provide you with the historical backround information, academic foundation, and practical experience you need to develop your interests.

Going into the interview you should be able to explain why you are interested in the program and why your experience and interests make you a good fit for a position in judicial administration.

Most Enriching, Educational and In-Depth Policy Fellowship
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were being integrated into the office of an Assemblymember and functioning essentially as a Legislative Aid for an entire legislative year and gaining access to the Capitol and its amazing network of people. The Sacramento area, particularly Government workers are very familiar and impressed with the Capitol Fellows Program and are therefore always happy to help and talk with fellows. Being a fellow opened doors and allowed me access to people, events and places that will help me professionally in the future. Good pay, cost of living in Sacramento is cheap. Great benefits.

Nothing that I can think of.

Take advantage of all of the networking opportunities available.

Advice to Management

They increased the pay from $1,972/month to $2,550/month which is great -thank you!

Great opportunity to learn and shine.
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learn the legislative process, meet lots of professional contacts, learn about jobs you didn't know existed, and get your work product in front of a lot of professionals.

Administration can be disorganized.

The fellowship is what you make of it. If you come prepared to take initiative and put in high quality work, it'll be rewarded.

If you want to get a head start in public policy or politics this is best experience, training and networking you can hope for.
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The network you develop will forever be a value for your career. The on the job training is the best way to prepare for a legislative/policy career in California and even elsewhere. While you aren't paid much compared to the typically full time job you also get graduate school credits that can be transferred over and for me saved me about $10,000 in tuition. Amazing opportunity.

There isn't much you can complain about. A $24k salary isn't necessarily what you want walking out of college but it is well worth that year of a lower and still livable salary to gain the experience and opportunities.

If you are interest in public service this is a one of a kind opportunity. Show that when you are interviewed and in your application. Why you want to make an impact and be involved in public service and public policy.

Advice to Management

It is probably about time to increase the fellow's stipend at least a little compared to cost of living. Its been a good while. Otherwise no complaints.