Capital Fellows Programs Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #10 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Capital Fellows Programs Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

A gateway to a public policy career.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Amazing network in the political and policy arena.

I dont have any complaints or diassapointments, the fellowship was an amazing experience.

The perfect opportunity to learn the three p's of governement, the politics, the policy and the process.

Advice to Management

Be willing to share your knowledge and expertise with others.

California Senate Fellowship Opens a Door to Life-Long Opportunity
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Connections, ability to make an impact, utility of knowledge acquired.

Taking meetings with interest groups whom did not share an interest with the Senator I was staffing.

Do not pass this opportunity up if you have an interest in working in government, policy, or as a lobbyist. These connections cannot be obtained on your own.

Advice to Management

Can't think of anything.

The most real and in-depth experience in the state legislature
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of opportunities to learn, practice skills, and network.

Loved everything.

Keep an open mind and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way,

Advice to Management

N/a

The opportunity to truly become apart of the process of the California State Legislature is one of the best aspects of the program
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to truly become apart of the process of the California State Legislature is one of the best aspects of the Capital Fellows Program. In my time in the program I gained practical experience in the legislative process by covering many issue areas, staffing five bills through the legislative cycle, meeting with stakeholders and special interest groups, and personally writing many of the amendments and changes that needed to be made to pieces of legislation.

Sometimes it is hard to manage the academic portion of this program with the duties one has in their office. However, this should not be a deterrent, as you get used to the fast pace.

Come to this program with an open mind and be prepared to see the good, the bad, and the ugly of politics. You will be thrust into a world of deadlines, political motives, and a web of policy issues in an absolutely thrilling and exhilarating way.

Advice to Management

Higher compensation would be helpful during the fellowship year, however, stipends are never very high and cannot be expected.

Immersive experience in State Senate, Outstnding public service exposure and leadership development
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to legislative lawmaking. Participating in statewide governance. Networking with elected officials.

Everything about the internship was a great experience.

Capital Fellows is a full-time professional endeavor, where you are not treated like an "intern" but given the workload of a full-time legislative assistant. Be sure to take that responsibility with the utmost respect and seriousness.

Amazing high-level experiance to have out of college!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The caliber of the work, intellelect of my peers, being able to stay on after the internship concluded, learning so much.

No bad aspects...it was a great experiance.

If you are interested in policy development and state government, than this is an amazing experiance for you.

Most comprehensive "foot in the door" opportunity for California politics available.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The partnership between graduate work and real-world application as a staff for the State Assembly.

I am a huge proponent and did not find fault with the program.

Many former and current Members of the State Legislature, legislative staff, lobbyists and political actors in California and across the United States are alumni of the Capitol Fellows Programs (specifically legislative). The program has rigorous and competitive admission requirements, huge work-loads, and a commitment to maintaining the excellent reputation upon which it was built in the 1950's.

Advice to Management

Compensation can be rough to live with, hours are grueling, promotion and placement at the end of the program is highly uncertain... but all of those things are part of what make the program outstanding.

A great introduction into the California Judiciary where I was able to gain both theoretical and practical experience within the legal indus
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was being able to work directly with judicial officers, and performing high-level projects.

I would have preferred that the program was longer and that the placement could have rotated to different departments.

I thirst for public service, academic curiousity, and willingness to work for the love of a goal and not for financial compsensation.

A professional development internship that delivers results.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

my placmement at a very high level and prestegious office at my young age was exciting and informative. The amount of repsonsiblity given to me was challenging and critical to my quick development. The reputation of the program around the community was very enouraging and resulted in my ability to be hired in the State Capitol.

As with most programs, the pay was difficult. However it taought me how to budget my person finances well and created a "thrifty" attitute amongst my other Fellows.

I would advise that an applicant be very well prepared for the rigorus interview process. Additionally, a good baseline of professional demenor will be required for sucess in the state government arena.

Learning to Lead -- Astonishing growth with committed mentors.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Terrific mentoring, frequent professional development opportunities, varied program, direct access to legislative environments, significant amounts of responsibility, working with such a team of committed fellows and a strong network of support.

Sometimes the hours were long.

The Capital Fellows Program is a terrific platform upon which to grow -- it is an avenue to be mentored, to be provided with opportunity and access, and to help learn how to really make a meaningful impact in government. Even if public service is not the direction your career ultimately takes, the Capital Fellows Program builds your skills, broadens your perspectives and strengthens your professional network like no other. It will be difficult work, but it will be meaningful work as well.

Advice to Management

Not much -- this is an incredibly valuable program.