Capital Fellows Programs Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #10 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

From The Classroom to the Capitol Where Theory Meets Practice.

The strong bond among the cohort as well as the chance to intellectually engage with intelligent, articulate professionals whose work has a real world impact.

There were times, for example during the budget crisis, where you could have day after day of all nighters.

I would highly recommend the program but it would be best to either have a phone conversation or coffee with an alum to really get a sense of the experience.

Advice to Management

Not every office was the same, and your office completely shapes your experience. The matching process should be as thoughtful as possible.

Date: 2013

Once in a lifetime opportunity to have an active role in the legislative process and enact actual policy for the State of California.

Best aspects are the mentorship that is provided, the orientation that is provided before you begin work in the legislative office, and of course the work that I was able to do such as enact public policy by staffing bills through the legislative process which were signed by the Governor and became law.

I had such a great experience during my fellowship that it is difficult for me to come up with a con to the program. If I had to pick something that I liked least I would have to say that I would have liked to get more graduate course credit, not only for the seminar classes, but for the work in the legislative office too.

The fellowship program is definitely a foot in the door to work for the California State Legislature. The fellowship provides a great orientation prior to working in your legislative office which allows you to be a successful staffer and provides a great support network in addition to mentorship. If you want to work in the State Capitol this is the program that can get you there.

Advice to Management

The stipend is definitely livable, but I am sure people would always want a little more. The benefits is very important and I am thankful that the program provides health, dental, and vision benefits. Very satisfied working in the legislative office environment and getting to know that culture by being a part of it.

The "Golden Ticket" to California state government

The tremendous opportunity to meet one-on-one with almost anyone in California government, and to be a part of policy discussions and decisions at extremely high levels.

Considering the high level of work product provided by capital fellows, the compensation is minimal. However, this is offset substantially by the future opportunities it provides.

I would strongly recommend this program if you are considering a career in state government and politics, and are a motivated self-starter.

Start your Capital career today

The networking opportunities and access to information is incredible. I have been able to meet with power-players in the government world, as well as participate in high-stakes discussions and negotiations.

I can't think of anything I do not like.

This opportunity is demanding and high-stakes. If you are looking to get involved in California politics in a unique way, this is the program for you.

Advice to Management

Everything is great. I would only consider making it a 12 month instead of 10 month program. This would help with hiring opportunities and retention.

Date: 2013

Greatest public service internship/ fellowship in CA which teaches you invaluable skills for whatever career path you would like to take.

mentors, networking, quality of work, opportunities

Nothing it is was everything I expected and more

Fellows are the cream of the crop candidate who are interested in public service and professional development in general. This program and its participants will not disappoint you

Advice to Management

They're already doing everything they can to assure these issues do not arise or affect anyone

Date: 2013

Outstanding professional training leads participant to significant future success

Incredible professional training, critical in helping participants to establish a strong professional network, tailored to maximize my previous experiences and expertise, based on a highly successful mentorship model.

The program forced me to improve in areas that were challenging for me. It pushed me to strengthen the weakest elements of my professional skills. This was very difficult, but highly rewarding.

Do it! Take advantage of this opportunity. It is one of the most valuable ways you can sped 10-12 months of your life.

Advice to Management

Increasing the stipend is the only real way I can think of that the program can improve.

Date: 2013

It has been one of the best experiences so far.

Access to resources. The network of fellow alumni still working in government.

there was nothing I did not like about the internship

I would suggest that students try to interview with as many offices as possible, It would give them a better sense and choose the office that best suits them.

Date: 2013

The CA Senate Fellows Program offers unrivaled opportunities participate in California's policy making process.

My mentor was outstanding. She gave me the opportunity to work on bills in my interest areas - Reproductive Health, Housing , and Women's Issues.

Unlike other jobs, there are a set number of staffing positions available in the building. It is brutally competitive to try to get a job as a legislative staffer. Sometimes fellows receive backlash because they have access to work on legislation - duties that most interns do not get to do. This competitive environment can sometimes be exhausting.

If you make it to the interview round during the application process, you've been thoroughly vetted on your qualifications. Once you've made it to interview, the large majority of the questions are trying to get to know you and how you handle conflict. The people who will hire you have to know that they can work with you - that you're likable. So much of what get's done in the building is based off of the relationships you form with people. Sometimes the ability to get a meeting, or the ability to work opposition who trusts your reputation, will make the difference in your bills being successful. Those with large egos or people with antagonistic personalities won't survive in the building and probably won't be offered a fellowship. That being said, every year there are always a couple of those applicants who fool the panel and manage to make it in the program.

Date: 2013

Unparalleled opportunity to immerse yourself in public service, gain (in)valuable experience, and have the time of your life while doing it.

Mentorship; opportunity to speak candidly with proven professionals that are second-to-none in the Judicial Branch (and government at large). A wide variety of projects available as well that are tailored to the particular intern/fellows interests.

My particular court location (Riverside, CA) left much to be desired - but the work and academic experiences more than compensated.

You get out what you put in; seize every opportunity, of which there will be plenty.

Date: 2013

A unique learning experience on the inner workings of state government

Provides unparalled networking opportunites that will help prepare you for a future in public policy.

I don't think there is anything that is necessarily a "con". If I had to pick it would be picking up the phone/grabbing the mail. However, especially in Republican offices, everyone always pitches in to do these general office tasks and they consumed very little of my time.

The fellowship progam isn't just for people who majored in Government or Political Science. The program accepts applicats from all fields, but a passion for service and public policy is a must.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the credits earned for the classes hand't been cut. We did the same amout of work as previous classes for less credit.