Intern at Capital Fellows Programs? Submit a Review

A year-long immersion into the inner-workings of California politics and government.

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

High-level of responsibility, incredible networking opportunities, Fellows are treated and expected to behave as full-time legislative staff, unparalleled access to the inner-workings of California politics.

There was nothing I disliked.

This is unlike any other program out there. Expect to be doing high-level work almost immediately, and know that you are only limited by how much or little you want to put into the program.

California's Capital Fellows - Creme de la Creme - The Next Generation of Leadership in California

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with government executives; helping establish a departmental environmental justice program; going on site visits and community bust tours to understand how the department's programs and services impact California communities; learning all of the various functions and programs of the department; flexibility to focus my internship on what I was interested in; writing for publicly published department reports and documents

Many of the people the fellowship program attracts just want the fellowship on their resume before they go to law school or move on to a more lucrative career. Many take for granted that it is in fact a stepping stone to work for the California state government.

As a Fellow you get the opportunity to work where you want and on the issues that are of most interest to you. It is an amazing opportunity to meet the top leaders of California's state government. This is too good an opportunity to pass up if you want to work for the California state government.

The Best Public Service Experience for Recent College Graduates: Making an Impact in the California State Legislature

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship include learning about the legislative process in depth, state politics, and different policy areas that interns may not have been previously exposed to. Moreover, the network that one acquires as a Capital Fellow is impressive since Sacramento has a plethora of Alum in high government positions. That network also translates into great job prospects.

The amount of money that interns receive to participate in the program is enough to cover basic living expenses, but Sacramento is becoming increasingly expensive to live in. A stipend augmentation may be needed soon. I have no other issues.

I would have taken more time to get ahead of the learning curve that takes place in this internship by learning more about the elected officials in the legislature, the legislative process, and would also explore different publications that relate to state government. My knowledge of state government was somewhat limited before beginning the internship so I would have taken more time to brush up on that information.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that the program be more strict with interns and address issues of punctuality, absenteeism, or other professional issues immediately to enhance the group's professional development.

Why do you want to participate in this program?

Amazing Opportunity to Impact Policy

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship, highly respected environment, impactful work.

The pay was low during my time in the fellowship, but the pay has been increased significantly in the past several years.

Take advantage of mentorship and networking opportunities. Don't be shy: ask questions, meet people, and make an impact.

Jesse M. Unruh Assembly Fellowship Program: Shaping leaders for tomorrow

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience, networking, and the job opportunities.

The bureaucracy

Be open to everything, don't be afraid to branch out and challenge your way of thinking. Keep in mind that this is a learning experience and you should treat it as such and be patient.

Advice to Management

Something that could change would be the compensation. As a state employee you're not always paid the best but you do get great benefits and you do get the benefits of having a strong networking opportunity. But the pay is determined by the Legislature and the Governor so don't hold your breath on a huge pay increase.

How well do you work with a team?
Would you rather be a person who stand out among your peers or someone who would rather be among your peers?

Routine exposure to the upper echelons of the California Superior Courts

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The monthly travel throughout California to various court locations was without a doubt the best part of the Capital Fellows Program. Every month we were exposed to a different type of court, which afforded us all the opportunity to see the unique aspects of each (organizational structure, leadership, goals, accessibility to the public). The Capital Fellows Program takes great care to ensure that you have built-in network with the other fellowship participants. I'm leaving the fellowship not only with great exposure and new, marketable skills, but also with a network of people all looking to do great things professionally.

A con associated with the Capital Fellows Program is the variation in the way each government entity receives a fellow. Placement entities (Courts, executive offices, and legislative offices) have either routinely received a fellow and know exactly what experience to provide or are new and need more guidance. When a new placement is chosen, the program leadership makes every effort to ensure the they have the guidance they need to give a fellow a quality experience. However, it can take a reasonable amount of time to settle in (e.g. a month) versus a more established placement (e.g. a week or so).

I would encourage future fellows to soak in every opportunity the fellowship gives you; and to take on every challenge presented to you. Also, to absorb the information provided during academic seminars because it is invaluable to fully understanding your placement organization.

Advice to Management

Flexibility in working remotely once or twice a month could be beneficial to fellows whose offices are slow on a Friday or empty during the holidays.

What interests you in the California courts and court administration?
What kind of environment do you work best in?
What type of supervisor is best for you?
What does fairness mean?

Great Internship with networking benefits

Networking

Unknown employment prospects

Be genuine. Have a genuine interest in public service and helping others.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't change anything-other than better alumni relations.

Why are you interested in public service? What brings you to the Capitol Fellows program? What strengths do you have to be successful here?

Acquire the skills to navigate state government and its politics.

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The network and skills I was able to acquire while working. Most importantly, the best aspect was taking a seminar and applying that knowledge into my work experience.

The seminar needed structure. I also had trouble connecting with both professors.

Based on my experience, I think the organization should work more closely with individuals who do not have a political science degree or background.

Outstanding professional growth and development opportunity in California's Legislature.

Sacramento, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Phenomenon professional growth and development opportunities; outstanding support from CSUS faculty and staff as well as CA State Legislature mentors; fascinating and challenging opportunities; a chance to truly learn about how government functions on a daily basis in California.

The cyclical nature of the Legislative calendar can be a challenge and it can be tiring around key legislative deadlines.

There are few other opportunities like this in the world -- if you're fortunate enough to be selected, it's absolutely worth doing.

Advice to Management

Given the increasing cost of living in Sacramento, raising compensation for fellows is an important thing to do to ensure that the fellowship provides enough funded to sustain fellows who do not have other financial resources.

The program exposed me to a field of work I was previously unfamiliar with, but now love and am building a career in.

Oakland, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The combination of academic and professional work made for a very holistic learning experience. The cohort and mentorship experiences in the program were also exceptional and allowed me to build strong relationships that I have to this day.

The pay at the time I was int he program wasn't great, but has since improved.

The Judicial Fellowship program specifically is a unique opportunity to do high-level policy work and interface with court administrators from around the state, which is quite different from the other programs and often underappreciated.