Intern at Capital Fellows Programs? Submit a Review

The Capital Fellows program joins theory with experience, giving public-minded individuals a great foundation for a long career.

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I benefited greatly from the mentorship at my placement location. My supervisors went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and appreciated. I also loved the camaraderie with the other people in the program. We had many common interests and had a great time learning together.

There were no vacation or sick days set aside but the program director accommodated reasonable requests.

Although this program is great experience for potential law students, you will not be working primarily on legal work. The administrative aspect is central to most of the projects you will be assigned.

Work (and pass!) policy you're passionate about in the most influential state legislature in the nation.

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The cohort of students you with (in my program, I was 1 of 18). You're all the top public policy/law students in the nation and you're all in this together in a year of intense immersion into the policy-making process. These are friendships (and networks) you will keep for life.

You will encounter deeply disturbing calls from constituents that will shake you. But it motivates you to keep going and fighting for good legislation.

If you make it to the interview round, you're 80% there. At this point, they are just trying to find our if the person matches whats on paper. But please remember that because you'll be in a legislator's office with 5-8 coworkers, they also have to like you. You'll be in the trenches, hearing sensitive information, and I think they are seeking a level of maturity, loyalty, and sincere likability so that you can survive the social/political aspect of the legislative process during the fellowship.

Advice to Management

Promotion policies once you're hired are kind of nebulous. We don't have the protections of state workers, even though the public would think that we are classified as state workers. We don't have the same labor protections and can be fired at anytime, for any reason (at-will employment). You can only get a 5% raise every 3 years, unless you move to a new position under a different classification. So dedication to one senator or assembly-member really isn't in your best interest.

What would you do if your senator/assemblymember voted on a bill in a way that was contrary to your personal beliefs? Why should we choose you to be a Capitol Fellow? Why are you interested in a career in public policy?

Gain High-Level Experience and Accelerate Your Career.

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having a personal mentor who was devoted to developing my professional skills and teaching me how Sacramento, and politics generally, really work.

At first, the pay was a little low. But it has since been increased to a level than is more than ample to live comfortable in Sacramento.

Apply if you like working in a fast-paced environment that requires quick thinking, strong communcation skills, and being willing to adapt to a variety of situations.

Describe what department/agency you might like to work with.
Why do you want to be a fellow?
What are some of the major public policy questions facing California and why do you want to work to help address them?

"California Resident Unimaginably Fortunate"

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other fellows were amazing, the level of access was phenomenal, and the work was meaningful and substantive.

That it ended.

Apply. Now.

Advice to Management

No suggestions, my placement was amazing.

Why are you interested in making California a better place?

Become a Pro Legislative Staffer in Under a Year

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Amazing networking, job prospects, access to elected officials, wide breadth of learning experience and topics to learn. Friendly work environment.

The pay was lower when I went through the Capital Fellows Program but has since been raised significantly from $1992 a month to over $2600 a month, plus health insurance. That was my one complaint during the internship.

The Capital Fellows Program was an amazing experience and set me up for future employment. I believe that everyone should learn how the legislative process works and the Capital Fellows Program, in my opinion, is the best way to get hands-on experience.

Public policy, law, and administrative training that developed a broad set of skills and career strengths.

San Francisco, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to present the findings from a self-directed study on factors influencinf litigation and mediation before all court managers was a great experience. Additionally, the hands on mentorship I received from high level court managers and staff was pivotal in giving me confidence, and ensuring that I could select projects that could benefit my career.

There really is not anything I disliked about the fellowship program. Ultimately, it prepared me for the reality of a professional career and helped me to mature. Nevertheless I recognize the program may be rough for some who are fearful or uncomfortable with filling a staff position and taking on high levels of responsibility.

It's important to take a position that ensures high career mobility, and gives you the tools that help fill out your skill set. The Capital Fellows Program is premised upon these two things and achieves them by enabling direct mentorship, unmatched access to government and legal officials, and flexibility in program design. Your mentor will seek out assignments that benefit you, after an in depth conversation, and throughout the program your mentor is there.

Advice to Management

None.

Please describe a situation in which you were tasked with overseeing a project. How did you manage it? What were any difficulties you had?
How do you feel that the Capital Fellows Program fits into your career trajectory?
What experience do you have in working in the public sector? Can you describe any other internships or academic roles that exposed you to public sector work?

Working for the Courts!

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

My mentor was very helpful and allowed me to see "behind the curtain" of court administration.

It was very focused on one aspect when it came to the actual day-to-day work. Each court provides different work experience so it makes it even more important to choose your court wisely.

Look closely at the placement descriptions and look not only for your interests, but areas you do not know a whole lot about but would like to explore.

What was a mistake you made in your life, and how would you change that now?

The "golden ticket" to California state government

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to meet with nearly anyone in leadership positions in California government, for both professional development and networking.

The pay was moderate at best, but was adequate and superior to most internships of which I am aware.

If you are considering a career in state or even national government, you owe it to yourself to apply to this program. You will not find a better entree to government and politics.

Participate in Policy-making and Engage with Industry Stakeholders as a Capital Fellow!

Sacramento, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were the phenomenal and supportive staff in my office and the real life experiences and challenges associated with staffing a bill and working with various stakeholders.

Mostly the uncertainty of where my placement would be when I started and the uncertainty of prospective employment following the fellowship. I doubt there is much room to decrease that uncertainty, the fellowship directors do the best they can.

If you are looking to earn the big bucks, you're in the wrong place. If you want to make a difference, challenge yourself, and create an invaluable network this just might be the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the cost of living adjustment! While I would love to stay on and build a career in the state legislature, it often time feels daunting to understand where my next steps will be professionally given the nuanced process of hiring on Fellows. Continued support from all parties is greatly appreciated for ALL fellows as they conclude the fellowship.

How would you deal with speaking on and arguing for a stance or position in favor of having an ideological dilemma with a stance and/or position that your Member/boss has asked you to speak on and argue in favor of?

The fellowship helped me start a career in a field previously unbeknown to me, but which I'm now deeply passionate about.

Oakland, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was the opportunity to be involved in high-level policy work and the administration of my organization with relatively limited experience, which allowed me to learn rapidly, thus giving me the knowledge to secure employment after the program ended. It was also very interesting and engaging to visit other fellows' placements throughout the state and learn about both local and statewide judicial branch issues. Within those trips were academic seminars, which provided intellectual stimulation in a way that very much supplemented the practical experience I was obtaining in my placement and provided a forum to delve deeper into some of the issues I was working on and obtain insight from my colleagues.

The nature of each fellow's experience is largely dictated by their mentor, and although I liked my mentor and got along with him well, I did feel like the work I was allowed to do was in some ways limited by his more reserved personality, relative to other mentors in the program.

If you are motivated and demonstrate a keen interest in the work, the fellowship program is an awesome opportunity to get practical and academic experience while developing knowledge and expertise in areas that interest you.