Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

A Corporate Nightmare

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of this internship was the pay and the recognition gained from working at an international company.

I disliked how pointless my entire summer felt. With the nonstop meetings, continuous bureaucratic discussion and rework, and restrictive red-tape, a project that should have taken me a few weeks stretched into an entire summer. The entire headquarters is corporate cubicle soul-suck. Each day in the office felt like another day in purgatory. No one seemed excited to work here, and that made each day painful. The sense of community at Garmin is severely lacking. My office felt like a prison, and I found it difficult to believe anyone here actually cared about me or what I was working on. I even saw full-time employees echo this sentiment: while I was working here, two employees quit for this very reason. Additionally, the ridiculous emphasis on process and rules is a complete time-suck and prevents any actual advancements from being made.

If you are interested in corporate bureaucracy and endless red tape, Garmin is the place for you. It is one of the most monotonous places I can imagine working. Cubicles and silent offices are abundant, and pointless meetings will suck most of the time out of your day. It will be difficult to get nearly anything done due to the unbelievable amount of hoops you have to jump through to gain approvals. Your work will feel pointless and repetitive. If you like structure, this might be a good job opportunity for you.

Great company and culture but little useful experience gained

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to network with other business groups outside of my group.

I didn't learn any technical skills during the internship

The fitness culture is great.

Software Engineer

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

A good internship for those that are just starting out in the field.

If you have outside experience the company is not that interested in bringing in new ideas or modifying their existing process.

Make sure you are interested in the specific field that they place you in.

Advice to Management

Make sure all managers that receive an intern actually want/need one. Allow the interns more choice about placement and honor any commitments you make to that.

Basic questions about RESTful APIs and node.js development practices.