Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

it was a great learning experience with wonderful people in a really fun environment.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid housing, fun activities, very hand-on, a very structured work environment

It would be nice to see more diversity.

You have to be able to adapt to a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the company views every department’s specialty as contributing to the organization's overall success. I would challenge Garmin to reinforce this premise even further in the future by initiating more of a balance across departments addressing the issue disparity of compensation among interns.

At Garmin you get your own desk AND your own soldering iron

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They give you real projects to work on that will help out your team. It is easy to learn from the people you work with and they are always friendly and willing to help. The project lifecycles are fast enough so that you can actually make progress through the summer (in the consumer segment at least)

I didn't get to work directly with any other interns because they were spread pretty thin throughout the company.

If you would like to play a central role in the development of electronics you would enjoy working at Garmin. As an electrical engineer you get to work with mechanical and software engineers to turn ideas into products.

Draw a block diagram of a system or product you have designed by yourself or as part of a team in a previous internship or school project. The interviewer then picks a particular block and asks you to describe how you implemented it in detail.

Advice to Management

Encourage more out of work activities between coworkers. The different product segments feel slightly isolated. I think this leads to a 'knowledge island' effect which makes it more difficult to find people with expertise in certain areas.

Engineering excellence combined with the best BBQ and camaraderie the country can offer.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the friendliness seen all across the Garmin campus. My mentor, team, and fellow interns were very welcoming and friendly! I also thoroughly enjoyed the work I was doing. At the end of the internship I could play on the device I was working on and really see the changes I had made! It's something to be proud of, and it's fun always trying to excel in the work we do because it's all about making the best product we can for the users!

There wasn't much of anything that was bad, but I would have liked a bit more structured feedback about my work throughout the summer. After sharing this with them, I think they plan on implementing some feedback notes throughout the summer for future interns.

I would first tell them YES! If a candidate is considering Garmin, I would ask them about their interests and major because Garmin has internship programs across all forms of engineering. There are internship opportunities for computer software/hardware engineers, mechanical engineers, aerospace engineers, and more! Garmin also has products in the automotive, marine, fitness, outdoor, and aviation markets, so there is a place for everyone! Knowing their interests, I could help them in the right direction as far as which department they'd like to work in.

Great Embedded Systems Experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern social committee planned some great events. The work was meaningful and I gained valuable technical experience I would not have gotten in a classroom.

The thing that I liked least about the internship program was that it went by so fast.

If you are looking to do meaningful work and gain valuable technical experience, I highly recommend that you consider Garmin in your internship search.

The internship is entirely hands-on work for a great local company with a global reach.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on, highly technical work, the people who work there and the environment, and the compensation.

Feedback was only provided at the end of the internship rather than throughout it.

It's an excellent place to be at with interesting work, especially if you're from around the area.

Engineering student experiences awesome internship with exposure to industry-desired skills.

Co-workers and outside activities

I guess the worst thing about my internship was the traffic after work on the way home.

Everyone is really helpful and always willing to offer advice to new hires. Everyone is assigned a mentor for the first year of employment, so be sure to ask plenty of questions and never be afraid to learn new things.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Are you more of a leader or a follower?

Advice to Management

I thought everything was really well done. Want to comment on how helpful it was to have a mentor of about the same age group as me. I feel that this enhanced my learning abilities and helped myself feel more welcome.

Understanding the process of Software Engineering from an outstanding company.

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the Intenrship had to be the work culture, and the emphasis on creating quality product. Garmin had a fantastic culture, and everyone seemed to appreciate and love the work they performed for Garmin. The emphasis on creating quality products truly reflect how talented everyone at Garmin is. Each person aims to become a master in their craft in order to product a quality product.

I least liked the fact that the internship had very few events for interns to explore the company.

Garmin treats each employee with great respect, and the work culture is very positive and supportive.

During the interview process, I was presented with questions that involved bit-wise manipulation of variables along with simple logic/programming questions.

Positive people. Quality work.

The people.

I would have liked to see more training and better organization of wiki articles, but it was easy to ask other employees any questions.

Be friendly, hardworking, and knowledgeable in a programming language. Be able to describe projects you've worked on.

Tell me about some projects you worked on?

Advice to Management

The wiki documents about technical development need to be updated and organized. There should be better training and documentation of the software architecture/systems.

Work hard, play hard

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns were assigned tasks on our first day instead of having to wait until someone found something we could do.

Some of the tools developed internally by the company were a bit difficult to understand since there was no guide to help learn how to use it.

The company cares a great deal about its employees. The facilities have been updated to help relieve stress throughout the day and the hours are very flexible.

Create a state machine for a microwave.

Advice to Management

The training and introductions given on the first day can be a bit more in-depth. The orientation went so quickly and I did not really know anything about the company as a whole before I started working.

Amazing experience working with a knowledgeable team

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)