Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Work on an important problem with awesome people.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting and connecting with full time employees and other interns.

Tooling and environment problems.

You have to be interested in low level software engineering. Garmin is great for people who want to work with products you can see and touch. Garmin is not as good for people in web and mobile development (although some of that still exists).

What courses have been your favorite? Your least favorite?

What do you know about embedded systems?

Walk me through how we'd do a simple moving average.

Some basic C problems.

Intern has an amazing summer working at Garmin, knocks it out of the park!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

friends, work, team, atmosphere, compensation

Minimum length is 10 characters.

Garmin is an amazing place to work at, but try to avoid ending up on an aviation software team, unless you know that's what you really want.

Most fun I've ever had working

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other employees and the environment were excellent

Kansas City isn't all that great of a location

Get involved with the other interns. The social environment at Garmin is amazing

Garmin Internship Provides Real-World Experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accurate representation of what a full-time job is like, we get to work on real projects, we feel like we make a huge, positive, difference

Even in the suburbs, Kansas City traffic can be scary

Don't be intimidated by any step of the process, everyone is incredibly nice.

Great learning experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and environment are a great to learn from, and everyone I worked with seemed to be passionate about their job.

There is nothing I had a problem with working there.

Garmin is a really great place to learn from.

it was a great learning experience with wonderful people in a really fun environment.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid housing, fun activities, very hand-on, a very structured work environment

It would be nice to see more diversity.

You have to be able to adapt to a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the company views every department’s specialty as contributing to the organization's overall success. I would challenge Garmin to reinforce this premise even further in the future by initiating more of a balance across departments addressing the issue disparity of compensation among interns.

The Garmin Guide to Location and Robustness

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working in a cohesive team environment and participating in meetings to see what people were working on. I enjoyed the group lunches, programming club, and other social and collaborative events that went on in the summer. I feel that I was well-compensated for my work and that I completed my tasks successfully in a timely manner.

I did not like that I did not receive a lot of feedback from my mentor in the beginning of the internship. I think a little more guidance in the beginning could have helped me overcome initial roadblocks faster.

Garmin is a wonderful place to work. My internship was a language immersion program for Objective-C. I was able to apply the knowledge I learned and obtained through various projects towards a real-world application. Being able to work on a feature that will one day make it to the App Store was an incredible experience for me.

Why do you want to work at Garmin?

Explain the difference between inheritance and polymorphism (technical question).

Describe a challenge you had in a team project and how you overcame it.

Advice to Management

I think they could provide more training for new employees, as well as more social events (especially for interns) to help new employees get to know other employees better.

Work is so much better than school

Rewarding work

Great people and culture

I liked pretty much everything. Nothing to complain about.

Take the job. Time spent at Garmin is time well spent.

Advice to Management

Don't put everyone in Aviation. It is hard to retain interns when all they do is write test code.

Hands on software engineering internship with real world work

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work being done will actually be used, you get placed on a team just like a regular full-time employee, and you function like a true full time employee for the duration of your internship.

The intern social group sent out too many emails.

If you have the skills to work effectively on a team in a real world environment and you like challenging work, I suggest this place of work.

Engineering excellence combined with the best BBQ and camaraderie the country can offer.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the friendliness seen all across the Garmin campus. My mentor, team, and fellow interns were very welcoming and friendly! I also thoroughly enjoyed the work I was doing. At the end of the internship I could play on the device I was working on and really see the changes I had made! It's something to be proud of, and it's fun always trying to excel in the work we do because it's all about making the best product we can for the users!

There wasn't much of anything that was bad, but I would have liked a bit more structured feedback about my work throughout the summer. After sharing this with them, I think they plan on implementing some feedback notes throughout the summer for future interns.

I would first tell them YES! If a candidate is considering Garmin, I would ask them about their interests and major because Garmin has internship programs across all forms of engineering. There are internship opportunities for computer software/hardware engineers, mechanical engineers, aerospace engineers, and more! Garmin also has products in the automotive, marine, fitness, outdoor, and aviation markets, so there is a place for everyone! Knowing their interests, I could help them in the right direction as far as which department they'd like to work in.