Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Garmin internship great opportunity to hone skills and work with large code base

Autonomy, Choose own projects, Flexible, great pay

I'm at the Lawrence satellite office so I wasn't involved with the interns at HQ.

Don't hesitate to ask for help

Advice to Management

Lawrence office gets lost a little bit compared to the interns at HQ

One of the best internship programs in the country, and it shows
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hiring process was quick with flexible deadlines, and recruiters were very helpful and responsive. Good mentoring program. Very positive atmosphere. Large number of interns, and recruiting team focuses on social gatherings. Very competitive pay.

Some of the work was definitely trivial work that full-time workers didn't want to do, but was still a good introduction to understanding the code base

Don't be afraid to ask questions: everyone I've worked with has been very happy to help with any issues I'm having.

My summer at the most interesting company
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the products, and the projects

Some of the HR activities were not a good use of time.

You will not find a company with a more compelling list of products

Advice to Management

Limit the HR activities to allow for interns to get the most done.

Spending a Summer Living and Working at Garmin
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are many good aspects to having an internship at Garmin, such as the work ethic, the high standards, the potential amount to learn and so much more. Working at Garmin is very cool because they treat their interns as adults and hold them to most of the same standards they would hold a normal employee, minus some of the experience. Everyone I have talked to at Garmin is very friendly and always tries to help me learn as much as I can. Also, working at Garmin is more of a life style. There are tons of clubs to join that will help you network and stay fit. A wide variety of people work at Garmin with a wide variety of taste, so it is interesting to meet all the different people and learn about them.

Honestly, this was my first internship, so I really have nothing to compare it to. I did not dislike anything that is not, from what I have heard, the normal office behavior standards.

Garmin employees like to have fun. If you are having fun you will be much more effective, so I suggest finding something that you like doing at Garmin and going after it. Being consistent with habits such as showing up on time if not early and being determined to do your best on all your work are always benefitial.

Garmin Culture Results in Excellent and Invaluable Internship
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

1.) Never did "intern" work. Was always working on interesting and necessary tasks.

2.) Excellent team, bosses, and coworkers. People are often willing to drop whatever they are working on to lend aid.

3.) Great work enviroment.

I cannot think of anything negative to say about my experience as an intern.

Garmin provides a very accepting and friendly enviroment. Don't hesitate to ask questions, or seek out others for advice.

Challenging, Learning, and Fun!
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team was awesome to work with. We had regular disc golf outings and donut meetings.

I worked on challenging problems alongside full-time engineers.

There were a ton of fun intern events all around Kansas City.

The free housing wasn't great. But it was free!

I would highly recommend it. There's a ton to do in KC (hackathons included!), and you'll learn a lot.

Advice to Management

Everything is pretty awesome. I'd just recommend they try to innovate and hire the tippy top tier of talent.

Engaging, fast-paced internship gives real-world experience
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best things about this internship was knowing that my work will have a lasting impact on the development of the products. I felt as though the work I was given was something that any full-time engineer would be working on.

There were times when I was given tasks way above my head that ended up going to another full time associate.

Be flexible; as an intern, you might find yourself working on a lot of different projects throughout the summer.

EXTRA! EXTRA! Best Internship I Will Ever Have
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work hands on building my own design

none thus far

Garmin is a company that values its employees and helps to find work that you enjoy and that fits you best.

Advice to Management

none

Map Upgrade: Applied Testing
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoy working on production code now and even the testing was structured and enjoyable.

I do not enjoy the regulations of my department and I think I would enjoy consumer side more.

I would recommend looking at an overview of aircraft systems and learning what the avionic systems looks like to gain a better idea of what your work would look like.

My Garmin Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The social aspect of the internship was fantastic. I was able to meet and socialize with people of the same skill level, abilities and interests. The sporting opportunities were great. The sporting clubs and facilities were a nice addition to my internship. Also, the living conditions were terrific.

I can't think of any experiences that I would consider a con.

Be confident.