Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

Design and test software that will be used in real world products. If I was not working the project a full-time employee would.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin treats their interns like their full-time employees. We are able to work on real world projects and I feel like I actually have an impact on the company. Everyone is more that happy to help you if you need it and everyone seems very friendly. The atmosphere at Garmin is laid back with a sense of pride that results in very productive employees. The pay and free housing are also very nice. The amount I have learned at this internship is astounding.

I have no dislikes about my internship.

The level of diversity is amazing at Garmin, there are so many different types of projects you could work on. But, even if you do not get into exactly what you want, you will be amazed at the amount you learn and how much experiance you will gain.

Outstanding Time of my life
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people that i work with and enviroment

I would not change anything

Garmin provides great benefits to its employees and will do anything and everything to make either employees succeed.

Advice to Management

Nothing

A small company feel in a big corporation.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hours were flexible, and the interns worked on actual projects alongside with full-time employees. Each intern had a mentor to help them out. The HR department does a great job taking care of the interns, such as providing paid housing and intern events.

I didn't find out about my performance as an intern until the end of the summer, but I mentioned that to HR in my exit interview, and I think they'll work to change that.

My advice would be to network as much as possible. Knowing Garmin recruiters from past events really helped me get the internship.

Got to take a real product from start to finish that was in use when i left.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Very open environment. Everyone on my team and other teams were helpful and willing to take time to show and teach me new things. Very open environment they gave me a task and let me solve it the way i wanted. They gave me a real project not just intern work, I created a product from start to finish.

The housing provided was ok, had some issues with bugs and other things. (they did ask about and say they would try to fix this issue)
Pay was decent but recieved better paying offers from other companies.

Don't be afraid to ask questions to your mentor or advisor. They are only there to help. They were more than willing to help me and it helps them get a better understanding of how much you know so they can better give you an assaignment you can finish in the short 3 months

Advice to Management

I think a little more pay for senior engineering students. I did get some other higher offers from other companies(yes this included housing also)
great hours.
there was a mishap with me not getting all my information on IT stuff at the beggining causing me to get locked out of the system 1 week from my start date.

The best intern experience you will ever have
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great and inviting workplace culture and atmosphere

There was really nothing I disliked.

If you want to work in an exciting and competitive industry with friendly coworkers and a great atmosphere, this is the place for you.

Garmin offers anything you could ask for in a company.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work atmosphere at Garmin is perfect. It is comfortable and relaxed while remaining hardworking and productive. I had the privilege of sharing an office with a full-time engineer who was always very helpful in answering my questions and, as a result, I learned a lot. The benefits included discounted Garmin items and paid time off. The housing was paid-for and very close to Garmin. It was a dorm on a very nice campus which contained a fitness room and open gyms for us to use. There were tons of social events planned for us to be able to meet and get to know the other interns, which I took advantage of. Overall it was a very good experience and I would recommend it highly.

The only con I can think of is that I lived in a fairly small triple dorm room which did not contain its own kitchen, so I was not able to cook as easily for myself as I would have liked.

My advice is to give Garmin a try, because I can't see how anyone would dislike working there. They are a very successful company, have a great company culture, and give great pay and benefits. They are at the leading edge of navigation products, so the work you do will contribute to the best products in the industry.

Advice to Management

I can't really think of anything.

Intern Works on his own project in a well known company and then receives a full time position
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The working environmental was laid back and my coworkers were easy to talk to. I received a project that I worked on with other interns that was a real product. Outside of work there was a lot of activities for the interns to socialize with other interns.

I can't think of anything that I didn't like about this internship.

If you want some real world experience in consumer electronics this is the company to go to.

Advice to Management

The only thing that needed improvement was the way the training was handle for my specific department, but this has already been changed for the next interns.

Useful
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing actual real world programming. What I did will be in future products.

The Housing, though free, did not provide the best living conditions.

The work that the interns do is actually beneficial to both the company and the intern.

Advice to Management

Nothing

Earn work experience respected by top tier corporations.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Relevant work experience, great pay, great workplace atmosphere, great housing benefits, great intern events, very supportive HR dept., great mentor, great supervisor, great office mates.

Nothing really, it was all great.

Garmin can be a great stepping stone for your career, giving you work experience that is respected by top tier companies like Microsoft or Amazon. Even with opportunities available with those larger companies, I'm seriously considering sticking with Garmin because I had such a great experience there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Great, Real World Experience.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay and the people who worked there.

My parents lived within 43 miles of campus, so I had to drive to work every day.

Don't let the GPA requirement scare you from applying.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)