Garmin Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Garmin internship great opportunity to hone skills and work with large code base

Autonomy, Choose own projects, Flexible, great pay

I'm at the Lawrence satellite office so I wasn't involved with the interns at HQ.

Don't hesitate to ask for help

Advice to Management

Lawrence office gets lost a little bit compared to the interns at HQ

Date: 2013

Challenging, Learning, and Fun!

My team was awesome to work with. We had regular disc golf outings and donut meetings. I worked on challenging problems alongside full-time engineers. There were a ton of fun intern events all around Kansas City.

The free housing wasn't great. But it was free!

I would highly recommend it. There's a ton to do in KC (hackathons included!), and you'll learn a lot.

Advice to Management

Everything is pretty awesome. I'd just recommend they try to innovate and hire the tippy top tier of talent.

Date: 2013

Local Garmin intern has a great time learning things he has never heard of before

The great people and work environment. A lot of effort was put into making the summer exciting for the intrens. Also, the pay was excellent.

Having to make a trifold presentation board.

Garmin is a great place to work; it is full of great people to work with. You have to be ready to jump into a huge amount of material that you have never seen before, but others will we willing to help you get started.

Advice to Management

none, I think management really pulled out all the stops on this internship.

Date: 2013

One of the best internship programs in the country, and it shows

Hiring process was quick with flexible deadlines, and recruiters were very helpful and responsive. Good mentoring program. Very positive atmosphere. Large number of interns, and recruiting team focuses on social gatherings. Very competitive pay.

Some of the work was definitely trivial work that full-time workers didn't want to do, but was still a good introduction to understanding the code base

Don't be afraid to ask questions: everyone I've worked with has been very happy to help with any issues I'm having.

Date: 2013

Great Companies Make Great Products with Great Leadership from Top to Bottom; Just Ask Garmin!

Culture, leadership, products, and menorship

Testing and paper work

If your passion is engineering, and you enjoy doing it while also working with others, Garmin is for you.

Date: 2013

All around good internship, I learned a lot and had fun.

All around good internship, I learned a lot and had fun.

Some of the work was repetitive but that’s to be expected.

All around good company to work for.

Spending a Summer Living and Working at Garmin

There are many good aspects to having an internship at Garmin, such as the work ethic, the high standards, the potential amount to learn and so much more. Working at Garmin is very cool because they treat their interns as adults and hold them to most of the same standards they would hold a normal employee, minus some of the experience. Everyone I have talked to at Garmin is very friendly and always tries to help me learn as much as I can. Also, working at Garmin is more of a life style. There are tons of clubs to join that will help you network and stay fit. A wide variety of people work at Garmin with a wide variety of taste, so it is interesting to meet all the different people and learn about them.

Honestly, this was my first internship, so I really have nothing to compare it to. I did not dislike anything that is not, from what I have heard, the normal office behavior standards.

Garmin employees like to have fun. If you are having fun you will be much more effective, so I suggest finding something that you like doing at Garmin and going after it. Being consistent with habits such as showing up on time if not early and being determined to do your best on all your work are always benefitial.

Date: 2013

My summer at the most interesting company

The people, the products, and the projects

Some of the HR activities were not a good use of time.

You will not find a company with a more compelling list of products

Advice to Management

Limit the HR activities to allow for interns to get the most done.

Garmin Culture Results in Excellent and Invaluable Internship

1.) Never did "intern" work. Was always working on interesting and necessary tasks. 2.) Excellent team, bosses, and coworkers. People are often willing to drop whatever they are working on to lend aid. 3.) Great work enviroment.

I cannot think of anything negative to say about my experience as an intern.

Garmin provides a very accepting and friendly enviroment. Don't hesitate to ask questions, or seek out others for advice.

Date: 2013

Internship at Garmin provides fun and interesting work experience, excellent pay, and good benefits.

1) The tasks I worked on were either directly supporting or strongly related to the projects going on with my team. 2) The members of my team (and all Garmin associates I worked with) were always willing to help or point me in the right direction - even when they were busy themselves. 3) Housing was provided. Not being from the Kansas City area, this is very helpful for a short-term internship.

The MNU housing was "adequate". It would have been helpful to have a kitchen in our room to prepare food with and the maintenance staff were not very considerate of us when fixing problems.

Garmin treats and respects interns as if they are full-time employees. Other employees are very helpful and are glad to have interns around. The pay is good and management genuinely cares about the interns.

Advice to Management

Housing arrangements could be upgraded slightly. Having a kitchen would be very helpful. (However, MNU seems to be perfectly located and I don't see any other practical options to suggest.)