Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #30 Best Overall Internships

4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 261 Intern Reviews)

Breaking News at NBC Bay Area
San Jose, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship experience, engaging in tasks I am passionate about, communicating with the public, giving back to the community through news coverage, attending meetings with newsroom employees, positive work environment, attractive facilities, various work experience opportunities, writing/publishing articles, exposure to the media industry, professional environment, scholarship opportunities (matching funds), research opportunities, learning how to break down news and assignments

Long Hours, lack of structure, busy work

Be assertive, remain engaged at all times, stay motivated to learning first hand what it's like to be an employee in the perspective industry.

1) What aspects of the media industry are you interested in exploring

2) What are your goals in the media industry?

3) Who are your favorite on air personalities?

4) What do you know a about our station?

5) How would this internship help you achieve your goals?

Advice to Management

More structure, hiring African-American/Black on air personalities, changing show times to increase viewers.

I get to grow my professional and technical skills while I mature as a person.
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

What I do with my time is up to me. I can craft my days around what I would like to learn and do.

What I contribute is only limited by imagination.

I have long commutes.

When you join the organization, you will likely be doing a job better suited for several people instead of just one. Right now the organization needs people, and until we get those people, this will be the nature of the job. If you decide to work hard and go above and beyond in the tasks at hand, you will benefit more here than at other establishments. The upward mobility far outways the temporary sacrifice and stress.

What are current events in the news?

Who is Emma Bowen?

What experience do you bring to the table?

How do you think our organization can improve?

Advice to Management

Employee retention is currently a problem at the station. The talented people are either leaving or retiring. To improve the workplace, my organization not only needs to hire new people to fill vacant positions, but support staff to help out the talented veterans.

Opprotunity+Talent= Success
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- The annual Emma Bowen conference in NY

- The matching-funds grant

- 4 year internship opprotunity

- There is a lack of in person contact with our directors.

Opprotunity+Preparation= Success

How have your past experiences, prepared you for the this internship that you are pursuing?

Advice to Management

As a diversity focused program, in our conferences I would like for the students see and hear a session about how diversity is implemented in the media industry.

Life Changing Intership Molds Top Ten Market Reporter
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

networking, learning vital skills, lots of writing, good feedback on getting better

I liked every aspect.

This internship is more than an internship. It's an actual job that trains the future leaders of the media.

Social Media is more than just posting and promoting. There is analytics, content creation, advertising and monetization involved. as well.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being challenged with tasks that help hone my professional skills as well as gain experience with new tools.

Having confusion about terminology that I don't understand.

An organization that fosters a passion for developing all interns to their full potential and grow as a business professional.

What are your skills passions and wants?

What were some challenges that you have faced and how have you overcome them?

Where was a time where you had to be a leader and how did that help you grow as a person?

If you were given 30 seconds to describe yourself in an elevator speech to a future employer what would you say?

Advice to Management

Training in Microsoft office powerpoint and excel.

Much learned in a summer to remember.
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

How I had the opportunity to be a valuable asset to the network operations and that I was appreciated by my coworkers

There wasn't anything that I did not like. I love what I do!

That I am a very hard worker and I will always turn in things on time.

What are your strengths when it comes to television? What do you know at your age?

Advice to Management

I'm not really sure because I haven't experienced all of the departments at my job so I would not know what they specifically they have to improve on. My department that I was a part of taught me everything that I needed to know about the scheduling system.

This internship changed my life and set me up for my career.
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. It was paid with a matching scholarship fund.

2. It lasted throughout my four years in college.

3. Although technically the internship was only during the summer, I was given the opportunity to work during additional time periods.

4. When my first internship position wasn't a good fit, all parties involved work with me to be moved into a different position.

5. You have the option of rotating to different departments or staying with a department you want to develop with further.

6. Every summer, interns were flown to NYC for networking and personal/professional development.

7. The leaders of the foundation were very invested in our future, offering continual guidance, support and recognition of achievements.

1. The first department I was placed in wasn't a good fit.

Although you are working for a media company, that doesn't mean the only positions are for Journalism/Mass Communication majors. There are positions available for all aspects of a business such as legal, HR, research, IT, etc.

One of the most amazing programs that I was privileged to be a part of.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Career Development, Mentorship, Experience

There was nothing I disliked about this internship and continue to stay in touch today as an alum.

Make the most of the experience and program. You will be glad you did.

Multi-year, PAID internship in media industry sure to equip you with the ability to have a successful, long-term career
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It is very rare to secure a multi-summer internship that both pays for the work you do AND provides matching scholarship funds for school. Not only did the Emma Bowen Foundation help to support my professional development by allowing me to grow over years with the same company, but they also supported my education. Furthermore, the opportunity to be challenged by difficult tasks right out of high school motivated me to become a high-achieving employee; I wasn't fetching coffee for my co-workers, I was treated as a colleague among peers. As someone just starting their career, this is truly invaluable.

At the Foundation level, I was quite disappointed that I was never invited to attend the Link Mentoring Initiative, something that (seemingly) a large majority of Emma Bowen interns were able to take advantage of. Also, there seemed to be limited, established opportunities for interns who wanted to engage work in the media industry with their interests in the natural sciences, apart from broadcast meteorology. There were a handful of interns who were in this boat (myself included), and we were expected to take our own initiative to pursue integrated science and media work. Finally, as a Corporation for Public Broadcasting-sponsored intern, my experience in the program was very different from the large majority of other interns. This became most obvious when all the interns gathered for the annual Summer Conference, where we heard from speakers that addressed topics that weren't always relevant to me. It would have been great to have more realized support for CPB interns.

However, it is important for me to note that the above concerns only arose because I was a minority among interns to experience these issues. Overall, I am grateful, if not indebted, to the amazing support provided by the Emma Bowen Foundation. From a KFAI perspective, I could not have asked for a better working environment or co-workers.

If you're serious about investing in your future NOW, and you know you will go into the media field (or at least see the benefits of working in the media field, regardless of your occupation later in life), I see absolutely no reason to not apply for an Emma Bowen Foundation internship. There is nothing (and I mean nothing) like it in the nation. I do not exaggerate when I say there is no way you can walk away from the program with less than what you started with. I cannot express enough how grateful I am to have taken part in this internship. If anything, looking back, I regret not taking my internship seriously enough and not making the most of the (short!) four years I was in it.

* Why do you want to be part of the Emma Bowen Foundation internship program?

* What do you anticipate learning in your 4-5 years of the internship?

* What do you hope to take away from the internship?

Advice to Management

* It would be wonderful if everyone could participate in the Link Mentoring Initiative. If that is not possible, please do not give the perception that everyone will.

* I would encourage the Foundation to constantly expand their view of what types of jobs the "media industry" consists of. For example, the intersection of science and media is a growing field, and it would do you well to offer internships in this area.

* Please acknowledge the fact that Corporation for Public Broadcasting interns have a very different experience than the rest of the interns. Any supplemental support for CPB interns, given their nonprofit work role, would be much appreciated.

Emma Bowen Foundation allows for student to grow in media industry.
Miami, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to have direct contact to so many professionals and learning all I can about each and every department that I worked in.

There was nothing in specific that I disliked about my internship

Apply to the Emma Bowen Foundation if you have a slight interest in TV because you're life will change once you become a part of this incredible family.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)