Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #30 Best Overall Internships

Life Changing Intership Molds Top Ten Market Reporter
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

networking, learning vital skills, lots of writing, good feedback on getting better

I liked every aspect.

This internship is more than an internship. It's an actual job that trains the future leaders of the media.

AMAZING. It was unique because you grow with the company through high school/college, so once you graduate you have 4 years in corporate
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid internship with matching funds scholarship. Additionally the ability to meet other peers each summer at conference. I have relationships with my peers from the program to this day. I have gotten my jobs at CBS Radio NYC, MTV Networks and HBO from my relationships through the Emma Bowen Foundation. The internship directly effected my career trajectory.

I didnt find out sooner! I would've applied sooner than my senior year of high school! Some people got into the program as high school juniors.

It's changed my life! Every part of my career has been positively effected by the internship. I've worked at 3 of the top media companies since i graduated from the program.

I was recruited 10 years ago, but we were asked questions about our 10 year plan, our passions for media, our community involvement, grades, etc. We required 3 references, transcripts and several other materials. It's a very competitive internship.

Advice to Management

They have been active with alums as well. I still work with them on improving the internship to this day.

Engaging, challenging, beneficial, full of opportunity
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The quality of the internship program - we had speakers from all departments speak to us each summer about their role in the company and the different aspects of their jobs.

The company culture - the welcoming feeling and overwhelming warmth from full time employees.

I generally didn't not like anything about the program.

The time commitment

The Opportunity of a Lifetime
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was great getting to experience a work environment for the first time. I just graduated from high school before I started my internship and I think this was a great opportunity for me to have before going into college.

I wish I would have had the chance to learn about other departments.

Be open to trying something new, and be eager to learn new things.

Advice to Management

I think that incoming freshman should rotate in different departments their first summer. Although some people may think that they know what they want to major in, after doing an internship in that field I think they may change their mind so I think it would be great to have a rotation throughout different departments the first summer so they have a chance to figure out what are their likes and dislikes while they still have time to figure out their major/ plans for the future.

Looking 120% More Impressive Than I Actually Am While Working Hard, Playing Hard
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The perks of working at such a fun and interesting company; getting an almost guaranteed four years of working experience; organizational structure that guides you straight to success

Very extensive application process; stuck in this internship for four years and don't get to try other jobs, have other experiences

Be ready to be in a workplace where everyone has more education, work experience, and life experience, because this program starts either senior year of high school or freshman year of college, so you're literally the bottom of the food chain. The need to prove your worth is immense.

What kinds of leadership experiences have you had, and what have you learned from them?

Why are you interested in this position?

If you were on a desert island, which three items would you bring?

How do you overcome obstacles in your work and life?

Advice to Management

The 1:1 scholarship match is great, but the end total puts you behind other interns working in the same position, so if these numbers could be adjusted, then this would greatly benefit students trying to get by with slightly-higher-than-minimum wage.

You want to jump start your career do an internship!
Miami, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people & the work

I didn't like creating Power Point presentation on brands that I knew little about.

Univision is a media company that is filled with passion, skill, and culture.

Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?

Why are you interested in our company?

What can you offer our company?

Advice to Management

They are already pretty great at making this an awesome place to work.

I get to grow my professional and technical skills while I mature as a person.
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

What I do with my time is up to me. I can craft my days around what I would like to learn and do.

What I contribute is only limited by imagination.

I have long commutes.

When you join the organization, you will likely be doing a job better suited for several people instead of just one. Right now the organization needs people, and until we get those people, this will be the nature of the job. If you decide to work hard and go above and beyond in the tasks at hand, you will benefit more here than at other establishments. The upward mobility far outways the temporary sacrifice and stress.

What are current events in the news?

Who is Emma Bowen?

What experience do you bring to the table?

How do you think our organization can improve?

Advice to Management

Employee retention is currently a problem at the station. The talented people are either leaving or retiring. To improve the workplace, my organization not only needs to hire new people to fill vacant positions, but support staff to help out the talented veterans.

Opprotunity+Talent= Success
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- The annual Emma Bowen conference in NY

- The matching-funds grant

- 4 year internship opprotunity

- There is a lack of in person contact with our directors.

Opprotunity+Preparation= Success

How have your past experiences, prepared you for the this internship that you are pursuing?

Advice to Management

As a diversity focused program, in our conferences I would like for the students see and hear a session about how diversity is implemented in the media industry.

A Life-Changing Experience For Young Professionals
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to rotate throughout different departments in the company, which allowed me to determine which jobs I was and was not interested in doing.

There isn't anything I can recall that I didn't like about my internship

The day to day logistics of the Emma Bowen Foundation is ran by 4-5 people. Yet, each person is committed to the long term success of their students. It's truly amazing.

This internship changed my life and set me up for my career.
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. It was paid with a matching scholarship fund.

2. It lasted throughout my four years in college.

3. Although technically the internship was only during the summer, I was given the opportunity to work during additional time periods.

4. When my first internship position wasn't a good fit, all parties involved work with me to be moved into a different position.

5. You have the option of rotating to different departments or staying with a department you want to develop with further.

6. Every summer, interns were flown to NYC for networking and personal/professional development.

7. The leaders of the foundation were very invested in our future, offering continual guidance, support and recognition of achievements.

1. The first department I was placed in wasn't a good fit.

Although you are working for a media company, that doesn't mean the only positions are for Journalism/Mass Communication majors. There are positions available for all aspects of a business such as legal, HR, research, IT, etc.