Intern at Emma Bowen Foundation? Submit a Review

Much learned in a summer to remember.

Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

How I had the opportunity to be a valuable asset to the network operations and that I was appreciated by my coworkers

There wasn't anything that I did not like. I love what I do!

That I am a very hard worker and I will always turn in things on time.

What are your strengths when it comes to television? What do you know at your age?

Advice to Management

I'm not really sure because I haven't experienced all of the departments at my job so I would not know what they specifically they have to improve on. My department that I was a part of taught me everything that I needed to know about the scheduling system.

The Emma Bowen Foundation: The Media Industry's Best Kept Secret

Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Interns are actually paid a competitive internship wage.

- Summer pay is matched with SCHOLARSHIP funding during each school year! This is a HUGE benefit that other internship foundations typically don't offer.

- All-expense paid trips to New York for the annual career development and networking conferences every summer.

- VERY attentive senior staff; The President and SVP still keep in regular contact with me (and other alumni) to this day!

- Vibrant body of students that keep in close contact and remain in your network for years to come; Some of my closest friends (and potential business partners) are fellow interns that matriculated through The Foundation with me.

There is virtually nothing bad about this program. If a student is interested in the media industry, this is the BEST decision he/she can make aside from choosing what college to attend.

The only "con" I would offer is that as an applicant you don't get to choose the company you're placed with, only the city. This is minor, however, because at that stage in your career you should be open to being exposed to different companies and functions within the industry anyway. Plus once you are placed, the senior staff can work with you to rotate you into a department that closely matches your major/career goals/etc.

- Take full advantage of the summer conferences in New York. This is where you network and hone your skills to take back with you to your internship and studies.

- Be responsive to the staff. They're there to help you. The more responsive/cooperative you are with them, the more they'll extend themselves to work things out for your specific situation.

The Emma Bowen Foundation: The reason I have a successful career in TV news

Austin, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Career and Professional Development, Mentorship Program: iMentor, Summer conference in New York, Paid, Stipend, Four summers, Rotational, Great Peers,

I can not think of anything that I did not like

The Emma Bowen Foundation is great internship program that will transform your career in the communications industry

An Awarding Experience Guaranteeing Four Years: Summer Internship and Exposure to Different Departments at a Well-Known Media Company

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company of my internship really fosters building relationships with other departments and make all the interns feel welcomed. They organized brown bag lunches with all the interns and other events with speakers from different departments.

I'm not sure if I like cubicle spaces.

If you want an organization that cares for you, then this place is for you.

What news do you keep up with?

What are you passionate about?

What after school activities do you do?

What are you plans at college?

Advice to Management

I don't like how the match funds work. The check is sent to the school, even if you buy books or pay for a loan.

Indispensable network opportunity and experience gained, and on top of that I get compensated! Couldn't ask for anything more...

Ft. Worth, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to do professional work alongside professionals in your field of study.

Many laws and egulaions don't allow interns to go out into the field as often. The company doesn't want to be liable.

This is a fast paced environment so if you're wanting to sit back and relax, this is not the place for you. People are super nice and ready to help, but as an intern you must want to learn and show initiative. There are plenty of people who want it to waste time on those who don't.

Extrordinary and Cultivating Internship leads to Student Career Sucess!

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the environment

nothing. enjoyed all of it

Always take that extra initiative to go beyond the normal internship experience. Utilize your resources and make the most out of your time here. The taks they have for you are great, but you can make it even better for yourself.

Questions they asked were related to prior experiences and how it could be useful to this internship experience.

Advice to Management

A more formal training on the departments upon beginning the internship each summer. Maybe offering some benefits (i.e. cable)

Incredible Opportunity to learn and grow around brilliant people in the television business

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I met so many amazing and talented people

I worked with some of the most talented young minds

I gained a wealth of professional skills

I learned how to work on a team

I was able to gain two mentors after my internship

I made key relationships and continue to keep in touch with those individuals

I wish there were opportunities to rotate offices that are located in different cities

Learn to be a great listener

Ask a load of questions if you for certain cannot figure something out on your own

Take the initiative

If you find yourself bored, or out of work, get up and ask around the office if anyone needs help with anything

Arrive to work before your supervisor and leave after him/her

Have excellent manners

Hand write thank you cards

What do you plan on gaining from this internship?

What do you feel like you can offer us?

What are you a few of your goals in life?

What is your favorite book?

What is your favorite office supply and why?

Advice to Management

Ask the interns for advice, because they may be more up to date with trends than you.

Don't be afraid of including interns in your meetings and encouraging them to speak up if they have creative ideas to add.

It means a lot when you take an intern under your wing, do not be afraid to shadow them

This internship changed my life and set me up for my career.

Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. It was paid with a matching scholarship fund.

2. It lasted throughout my four years in college.

3. Although technically the internship was only during the summer, I was given the opportunity to work during additional time periods.

4. When my first internship position wasn't a good fit, all parties involved work with me to be moved into a different position.

5. You have the option of rotating to different departments or staying with a department you want to develop with further.

6. Every summer, interns were flown to NYC for networking and personal/professional development.

7. The leaders of the foundation were very invested in our future, offering continual guidance, support and recognition of achievements.

1. The first department I was placed in wasn't a good fit.

Although you are working for a media company, that doesn't mean the only positions are for Journalism/Mass Communication majors. There are positions available for all aspects of a business such as legal, HR, research, IT, etc.

Great experience!

Englewood, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learn new things related to my education.

I loved everything about the internship.

It was great working with my corporate sponsor. Conference are great way to meet new people.

Multi-year, PAID internship in media industry sure to equip you with the ability to have a successful, long-term career

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It is very rare to secure a multi-summer internship that both pays for the work you do AND provides matching scholarship funds for school. Not only did the Emma Bowen Foundation help to support my professional development by allowing me to grow over years with the same company, but they also supported my education. Furthermore, the opportunity to be challenged by difficult tasks right out of high school motivated me to become a high-achieving employee; I wasn't fetching coffee for my co-workers, I was treated as a colleague among peers. As someone just starting their career, this is truly invaluable.

At the Foundation level, I was quite disappointed that I was never invited to attend the Link Mentoring Initiative, something that (seemingly) a large majority of Emma Bowen interns were able to take advantage of. Also, there seemed to be limited, established opportunities for interns who wanted to engage work in the media industry with their interests in the natural sciences, apart from broadcast meteorology. There were a handful of interns who were in this boat (myself included), and we were expected to take our own initiative to pursue integrated science and media work. Finally, as a Corporation for Public Broadcasting-sponsored intern, my experience in the program was very different from the large majority of other interns. This became most obvious when all the interns gathered for the annual Summer Conference, where we heard from speakers that addressed topics that weren't always relevant to me. It would have been great to have more realized support for CPB interns.

However, it is important for me to note that the above concerns only arose because I was a minority among interns to experience these issues. Overall, I am grateful, if not indebted, to the amazing support provided by the Emma Bowen Foundation. From a KFAI perspective, I could not have asked for a better working environment or co-workers.

If you're serious about investing in your future NOW, and you know you will go into the media field (or at least see the benefits of working in the media field, regardless of your occupation later in life), I see absolutely no reason to not apply for an Emma Bowen Foundation internship. There is nothing (and I mean nothing) like it in the nation. I do not exaggerate when I say there is no way you can walk away from the program with less than what you started with. I cannot express enough how grateful I am to have taken part in this internship. If anything, looking back, I regret not taking my internship seriously enough and not making the most of the (short!) four years I was in it.

* Why do you want to be part of the Emma Bowen Foundation internship program?

* What do you anticipate learning in your 4-5 years of the internship?

* What do you hope to take away from the internship?

Advice to Management

* It would be wonderful if everyone could participate in the Link Mentoring Initiative. If that is not possible, please do not give the perception that everyone will.

* I would encourage the Foundation to constantly expand their view of what types of jobs the "media industry" consists of. For example, the intersection of science and media is a growing field, and it would do you well to offer internships in this area.

* Please acknowledge the fact that Corporation for Public Broadcasting interns have a very different experience than the rest of the interns. Any supplemental support for CPB interns, given their nonprofit work role, would be much appreciated.