Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #30 Best Overall Internships

Life Changing Intership Molds Top Ten Market Reporter
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

networking, learning vital skills, lots of writing, good feedback on getting better

I liked every aspect.

This internship is more than an internship. It's an actual job that trains the future leaders of the media.

Life Changing Internship Opportunity
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining working experience in a dynamic industry while completing my college degree

I did not have any issue with the organization.

Be prepared. Learn about the organization, practice interviewing skills and work on your resume.

Incredible Opportunity to learn and grow around brilliant people in the television business
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I met so many amazing and talented people

I worked with some of the most talented young minds

I gained a wealth of professional skills

I learned how to work on a team

I was able to gain two mentors after my internship

I made key relationships and continue to keep in touch with those individuals

I wish there were opportunities to rotate offices that are located in different cities

Learn to be a great listener

Ask a load of questions if you for certain cannot figure something out on your own

Take the initiative

If you find yourself bored, or out of work, get up and ask around the office if anyone needs help with anything

Arrive to work before your supervisor and leave after him/her

Have excellent manners

Hand write thank you cards

What do you plan on gaining from this internship?

What do you feel like you can offer us?

What are you a few of your goals in life?

What is your favorite book?

What is your favorite office supply and why?

Advice to Management

Ask the interns for advice, because they may be more up to date with trends than you.

Don't be afraid of including interns in your meetings and encouraging them to speak up if they have creative ideas to add.

It means a lot when you take an intern under your wing, do not be afraid to shadow them

Extrordinary and Cultivating Internship leads to Student Career Sucess!
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the environment

nothing. enjoyed all of it

Always take that extra initiative to go beyond the normal internship experience. Utilize your resources and make the most out of your time here. The taks they have for you are great, but you can make it even better for yourself.

Questions they asked were related to prior experiences and how it could be useful to this internship experience.

Advice to Management

A more formal training on the departments upon beginning the internship each summer. Maybe offering some benefits (i.e. cable)

The best internship experience I could've hoped for
Jacksonville, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were the hands on experience that set me ahead of other students in my same major, building relationships and finding mentors within a field you are already passionate about, and also building relationships with peers across the country who help share their interning experiences to help everyone grow and expand on their own.

There isn't really a lot of negative things I can say about the internship--really, the only thing was during those summer conferences with interns from across the country--some had access to better experiences and company "perks" (ie. attending olympics, visiting foreign countries). That did fuel a little jealousy, although that's hardly Emma Bowen's fault and I still am grateful for everything I learned.

Don't be afraid to be yourself and take initiative. Most everybody at my "sponsor company" was laid-back and very easy to talk to--this helped build those relationships that I know help me in the future. Also, make sure you're always doing something to better your knowledge--make sure not to sit at your computer and do nothing--find an employee and ask how you can help.

-What was your greatest accomplishment?

-What is your dream job?

The interview process with the company was very laid back, I met with each of the department heads separately and they often left questions up to me to ask them.

Advice to Management

My advice to management only really comes AFTER my internship was completed and I was currently an employee--through a few "regime" changes--there arose a lack of communication among managers that unfortunately left things to fall through the cracks for the employees. We need to go back to the time of strong communication and teamwork instead of a this department vs. this department, vs this department atmosphere.

Great experience!
Englewood, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learn new things related to my education.

I loved everything about the internship.

It was great working with my corporate sponsor. Conference are great way to meet new people.

AMAZING. It was unique because you grow with the company through high school/college, so once you graduate you have 4 years in corporate
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid internship with matching funds scholarship. Additionally the ability to meet other peers each summer at conference. I have relationships with my peers from the program to this day. I have gotten my jobs at CBS Radio NYC, MTV Networks and HBO from my relationships through the Emma Bowen Foundation. The internship directly effected my career trajectory.

I didnt find out sooner! I would've applied sooner than my senior year of high school! Some people got into the program as high school juniors.

It's changed my life! Every part of my career has been positively effected by the internship. I've worked at 3 of the top media companies since i graduated from the program.

I was recruited 10 years ago, but we were asked questions about our 10 year plan, our passions for media, our community involvement, grades, etc. We required 3 references, transcripts and several other materials. It's a very competitive internship.

Advice to Management

They have been active with alums as well. I still work with them on improving the internship to this day.

This internship changed my life and set me up for my career.
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. It was paid with a matching scholarship fund.

2. It lasted throughout my four years in college.

3. Although technically the internship was only during the summer, I was given the opportunity to work during additional time periods.

4. When my first internship position wasn't a good fit, all parties involved work with me to be moved into a different position.

5. You have the option of rotating to different departments or staying with a department you want to develop with further.

6. Every summer, interns were flown to NYC for networking and personal/professional development.

7. The leaders of the foundation were very invested in our future, offering continual guidance, support and recognition of achievements.

1. The first department I was placed in wasn't a good fit.

Although you are working for a media company, that doesn't mean the only positions are for Journalism/Mass Communication majors. There are positions available for all aspects of a business such as legal, HR, research, IT, etc.

Multi-year, PAID internship in media industry sure to equip you with the ability to have a successful, long-term career
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It is very rare to secure a multi-summer internship that both pays for the work you do AND provides matching scholarship funds for school. Not only did the Emma Bowen Foundation help to support my professional development by allowing me to grow over years with the same company, but they also supported my education. Furthermore, the opportunity to be challenged by difficult tasks right out of high school motivated me to become a high-achieving employee; I wasn't fetching coffee for my co-workers, I was treated as a colleague among peers. As someone just starting their career, this is truly invaluable.

At the Foundation level, I was quite disappointed that I was never invited to attend the Link Mentoring Initiative, something that (seemingly) a large majority of Emma Bowen interns were able to take advantage of. Also, there seemed to be limited, established opportunities for interns who wanted to engage work in the media industry with their interests in the natural sciences, apart from broadcast meteorology. There were a handful of interns who were in this boat (myself included), and we were expected to take our own initiative to pursue integrated science and media work. Finally, as a Corporation for Public Broadcasting-sponsored intern, my experience in the program was very different from the large majority of other interns. This became most obvious when all the interns gathered for the annual Summer Conference, where we heard from speakers that addressed topics that weren't always relevant to me. It would have been great to have more realized support for CPB interns.

However, it is important for me to note that the above concerns only arose because I was a minority among interns to experience these issues. Overall, I am grateful, if not indebted, to the amazing support provided by the Emma Bowen Foundation. From a KFAI perspective, I could not have asked for a better working environment or co-workers.

If you're serious about investing in your future NOW, and you know you will go into the media field (or at least see the benefits of working in the media field, regardless of your occupation later in life), I see absolutely no reason to not apply for an Emma Bowen Foundation internship. There is nothing (and I mean nothing) like it in the nation. I do not exaggerate when I say there is no way you can walk away from the program with less than what you started with. I cannot express enough how grateful I am to have taken part in this internship. If anything, looking back, I regret not taking my internship seriously enough and not making the most of the (short!) four years I was in it.

* Why do you want to be part of the Emma Bowen Foundation internship program?

* What do you anticipate learning in your 4-5 years of the internship?

* What do you hope to take away from the internship?

Advice to Management

* It would be wonderful if everyone could participate in the Link Mentoring Initiative. If that is not possible, please do not give the perception that everyone will.

* I would encourage the Foundation to constantly expand their view of what types of jobs the "media industry" consists of. For example, the intersection of science and media is a growing field, and it would do you well to offer internships in this area.

* Please acknowledge the fact that Corporation for Public Broadcasting interns have a very different experience than the rest of the interns. Any supplemental support for CPB interns, given their nonprofit work role, would be much appreciated.

Emma Bowen Foundation allows for student to grow in media industry.
Miami, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to have direct contact to so many professionals and learning all I can about each and every department that I worked in.

There was nothing in specific that I disliked about my internship

Apply to the Emma Bowen Foundation if you have a slight interest in TV because you're life will change once you become a part of this incredible family.