Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

Interactive Capitol Hill Internship with Political Media Veterans

The structure of the Emma Bowen Foundation internship program allows you to build relationships with the host company (in my case, C-SPAN) over a four/five-year period. The rotational structure of the program also allows you to experience multiple departments within the company, which helped to introduce me to career fields of interest.

There is nothing that I didn't like about my internship. The program is strong and thorough from year one through the conclusion after graduation from college.

Keep detailed notes on the work that you do throughout your internship. The Emma Bowen Foundation program gives you access to such a wide range of responsibilities and learning opportunities and it's important to track these experiences so you can share them with potential employers when you graduate from the program.

Advice to Management

Please ask Emma Bowen members--active and alumni--to volunteer with the organization however possible, especially the interns who are in the Los Angeles or New York areas! We can help with check-ins at interview sessions, outreach at internship fairs, etc. This would be a nice way to keep the alumni engaged after graduating through the program, as well as an opportunity to interact with EBF colleagues.

Date: 2013

Great opportunities for young students

Guidance and help was always offered

The days were long

This is the best of the best when it comes to internship programs

Advice to Management

More diversity

Date: 2013

Are you ready to change your life and never look back? Earn professional experience and learn the true meaning of competitive advantage.

I was fortunate enough to network with top industry professionals and budding professionals that worked at similar internships all across the country. Many became close friends, and others will always be great connections.

The only con was that I had to spend time cycling through different departments in order to have a holistic understanding of how a news station works. At the time I would have preferred to just stay in the news department every day, but I now understand the value in my different experiences.

Take initiative. It's the most important thing you can do to show management how much you value your job and how dedicated you are to your career. Sometimes it can be a little scary or nerve-wracking, but if you can successfully think out of the box and take on tasks that were not assigned to you, you can make everyone's job easier and make a long-lasting, if not permanent, mark on the company and your co-workers.

Real, Worthwhile Experience & Leadership Opportunities

I was allowed to work essentially like a full-time employee, where my duties were important and my input was held with a very high weight.

I was asked to do a lot, but I hardly consider this a negative.

Always ask to do more, and let them know that you are willing to multitask and try anything. Also, let them know what your ultimate goal is.

Date: 2013

Never Forget Those Who Have Helped You Succeed.

Financial Benefits (Matching Funds for College Tuition) Exposure to Professional/Corporate environments Establish connections with industry leaders

Was not able to rotate deparments.

Respond accordingly to supervisors. Never hesitate to ask questions. Always stay in contact with everyone in the program.

Advice to Management

Implement Campus/Recruitment visits to college and high school campuses to attract potential candidates.

Date: 2013

Surefire way to gain real life experience, develop a ton of contacts, and absolutely land a job in the Media Industry

Being able to grow within one company; I stayed for 4 years and was able to experience all the different departments. I also developed an extensive network through my peers who were in EBF and working for other companies.

Very hard to think of something I didn't like about EBF.

Take full advantage of ALL the resources EBF gives you. They provide you the tools and all you need to do is take it and run with it. You'll be able to do anything you want after graduating from EBF.

Career Take Off

Work experience

I liked everything.

The Emma Bowen Foundation allows students to set the path for their careers. The commitment, support and valuable lessons provided by the Emma Bowen Foundation are priceless.

Advice to Management

I believe the Emma Bowen could continue to progress as time goes by, but I do not believe there are specific areas that need improvement.

Amazing Learning Experience

The best aspects of this internship were that I had the opportunity to work for and learn from real-world media professionals. In addition, the hourly wage made it easy to cover my commute cost.

Loved Everything!

My advice for potential interns is to always have a great attitude and the utmost respect for your employers.

Advice to Management

N/A

Settting a Foundation for the Future

The autonomy made it seem as if I was an actual full-time employee. Also the culture made a huge difference because I have experienced different types of environments.

There were not many other interns to connect with in the office.

If you live a lively, welcoming, personable environment, then this is the place to be.

Dream Internship!

Working in my field and learning the business aspect of television. I acquired a skill set that placed me ahead of peer and still use many of the things I learned in my career now.

It was a great experience.

Take the time to learn and meet as many folks as possible.