Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

Date: 2013

Great opportunities for young students

Guidance and help was always offered

The days were long

This is the best of the best when it comes to internship programs

Advice to Management

More diversity

Date: 2013

Are you ready to change your life and never look back? Earn professional experience and learn the true meaning of competitive advantage.

I was fortunate enough to network with top industry professionals and budding professionals that worked at similar internships all across the country. Many became close friends, and others will always be great connections.

The only con was that I had to spend time cycling through different departments in order to have a holistic understanding of how a news station works. At the time I would have preferred to just stay in the news department every day, but I now understand the value in my different experiences.

Take initiative. It's the most important thing you can do to show management how much you value your job and how dedicated you are to your career. Sometimes it can be a little scary or nerve-wracking, but if you can successfully think out of the box and take on tasks that were not assigned to you, you can make everyone's job easier and make a long-lasting, if not permanent, mark on the company and your co-workers.

Settting a Foundation for the Future

The autonomy made it seem as if I was an actual full-time employee. Also the culture made a huge difference because I have experienced different types of environments.

There were not many other interns to connect with in the office.

If you live a lively, welcoming, personable environment, then this is the place to be.

Amazing Learning Experience

The best aspects of this internship were that I had the opportunity to work for and learn from real-world media professionals. In addition, the hourly wage made it easy to cover my commute cost.

Loved Everything!

My advice for potential interns is to always have a great attitude and the utmost respect for your employers.

Advice to Management

N/A

Date: 2013

Surefire way to gain real life experience, develop a ton of contacts, and absolutely land a job in the Media Industry

Being able to grow within one company; I stayed for 4 years and was able to experience all the different departments. I also developed an extensive network through my peers who were in EBF and working for other companies.

Very hard to think of something I didn't like about EBF.

Take full advantage of ALL the resources EBF gives you. They provide you the tools and all you need to do is take it and run with it. You'll be able to do anything you want after graduating from EBF.

Interactive Capitol Hill Internship with Political Media Veterans

The structure of the Emma Bowen Foundation internship program allows you to build relationships with the host company (in my case, C-SPAN) over a four/five-year period. The rotational structure of the program also allows you to experience multiple departments within the company, which helped to introduce me to career fields of interest.

There is nothing that I didn't like about my internship. The program is strong and thorough from year one through the conclusion after graduation from college.

Keep detailed notes on the work that you do throughout your internship. The Emma Bowen Foundation program gives you access to such a wide range of responsibilities and learning opportunities and it's important to track these experiences so you can share them with potential employers when you graduate from the program.

Advice to Management

Please ask Emma Bowen members--active and alumni--to volunteer with the organization however possible, especially the interns who are in the Los Angeles or New York areas! We can help with check-ins at interview sessions, outreach at internship fairs, etc. This would be a nice way to keep the alumni engaged after graduating through the program, as well as an opportunity to interact with EBF colleagues.

Date: 2013

The most inspriring,incredible, and unforgettable experience you will have before entering the "real world".

The best aspects lied in being hands on with the products which actually aired on an National/International level and the experience gained is unfathomable.

My specific department was a bit fast-paced so it was difficult to catch up and work at their usual pace. However, I asked to be within that department (knowing what to expect) and my previous departamental rotations have been phenomenal as well.

Work hard and be creative, because those are the qualities that industry and network requires. Being able to solve problems quickly is also a plus.

Advice to Management

In terms of working overtime, I had plenty of opportunities to do so and help my co-workers produce great projects and learn more but could not because I was not able to work overtime. That specific industry and network pushes people a bit and may mean working past 8 hours a day, many times I had to stop what I was doing and leave.

Date: 2013

Emma Bowen Foundation the internship that trains and develops tomorrow's entertainment leaders.

Every year all Emma Bowen students had a conference in New York with entertainment executives and leaders to share their experiences and answers questions from students.

There are no cons with my experience in the Internship

The Emma Bowen foundation is one of a kind helping young minorities get a head start in their career. All task are industry related and most scholars in the foundation stand out from other interns in the sponsoring company.

Advice to Management

When describing my experience with the Emma Bowen Foundation I become the envy of other people and their intern experiences. I don’t think any other internship or program comes close.

Date: 2013

The most rewarding growth experience possible

The Emma L. Bowen program provides you with a multi-summer internship at a large media company. This means you have an internship set up for every summer through your college career and part of your high school career. It also means while most students search for typical summer jobs, Emma L. Bowen students gain valuable work experience while getting paid. The program exposed me to a wonderful industry I never considered prior to the internship, and gave me the confidence to thrive in the environment. The networking opportunities are endless! There are Emma L. Bowen alumni are in every area of media.

Nothing! I really enjoy working at my internship.

CBS is a wonderful organization where anyone can find a home. If you are willing to work hard and be a team player you will fit right in.

The Four Summers That Made Me Who I Am Today

Supervisors, evaluations, experience in different departments, the NY conference, network of current and previous EBF students, access to senior level executives

Giving up my summers (but it was definitely worth it!)

Make sure to always put your best foot forward, accept critical feedback from your supervisor(s), and make/keep connections within your company.