Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

Date: 2013

The most rewarding growth experience possible

The Emma L. Bowen program provides you with a multi-summer internship at a large media company. This means you have an internship set up for every summer through your college career and part of your high school career. It also means while most students search for typical summer jobs, Emma L. Bowen students gain valuable work experience while getting paid. The program exposed me to a wonderful industry I never considered prior to the internship, and gave me the confidence to thrive in the environment. The networking opportunities are endless! There are Emma L. Bowen alumni are in every area of media.

Nothing! I really enjoy working at my internship.

CBS is a wonderful organization where anyone can find a home. If you are willing to work hard and be a team player you will fit right in.

Date: 2013

Emma Bowen Foundation the internship that trains and develops tomorrow's entertainment leaders.

Every year all Emma Bowen students had a conference in New York with entertainment executives and leaders to share their experiences and answers questions from students.

There are no cons with my experience in the Internship

The Emma Bowen foundation is one of a kind helping young minorities get a head start in their career. All task are industry related and most scholars in the foundation stand out from other interns in the sponsoring company.

Advice to Management

When describing my experience with the Emma Bowen Foundation I become the envy of other people and their intern experiences. I don’t think any other internship or program comes close.

Settting a Foundation for the Future

The autonomy made it seem as if I was an actual full-time employee. Also the culture made a huge difference because I have experienced different types of environments.

There were not many other interns to connect with in the office.

If you live a lively, welcoming, personable environment, then this is the place to be.

Date: 2013

Surefire way to gain real life experience, develop a ton of contacts, and absolutely land a job in the Media Industry

Being able to grow within one company; I stayed for 4 years and was able to experience all the different departments. I also developed an extensive network through my peers who were in EBF and working for other companies.

Very hard to think of something I didn't like about EBF.

Take full advantage of ALL the resources EBF gives you. They provide you the tools and all you need to do is take it and run with it. You'll be able to do anything you want after graduating from EBF.

Amazing Learning Experience

The best aspects of this internship were that I had the opportunity to work for and learn from real-world media professionals. In addition, the hourly wage made it easy to cover my commute cost.

Loved Everything!

My advice for potential interns is to always have a great attitude and the utmost respect for your employers.

Advice to Management

N/A

Career Take Off

Work experience

I liked everything.

The Emma Bowen Foundation allows students to set the path for their careers. The commitment, support and valuable lessons provided by the Emma Bowen Foundation are priceless.

Advice to Management

I believe the Emma Bowen could continue to progress as time goes by, but I do not believe there are specific areas that need improvement.

Date: 2013

Never Forget Those Who Have Helped You Succeed.

Financial Benefits (Matching Funds for College Tuition) Exposure to Professional/Corporate environments Establish connections with industry leaders

Was not able to rotate deparments.

Respond accordingly to supervisors. Never hesitate to ask questions. Always stay in contact with everyone in the program.

Advice to Management

Implement Campus/Recruitment visits to college and high school campuses to attract potential candidates.

Interactive Capitol Hill Internship with Political Media Veterans

The structure of the Emma Bowen Foundation internship program allows you to build relationships with the host company (in my case, C-SPAN) over a four/five-year period. The rotational structure of the program also allows you to experience multiple departments within the company, which helped to introduce me to career fields of interest.

There is nothing that I didn't like about my internship. The program is strong and thorough from year one through the conclusion after graduation from college.

Keep detailed notes on the work that you do throughout your internship. The Emma Bowen Foundation program gives you access to such a wide range of responsibilities and learning opportunities and it's important to track these experiences so you can share them with potential employers when you graduate from the program.

Advice to Management

Please ask Emma Bowen members--active and alumni--to volunteer with the organization however possible, especially the interns who are in the Los Angeles or New York areas! We can help with check-ins at interview sessions, outreach at internship fairs, etc. This would be a nice way to keep the alumni engaged after graduating through the program, as well as an opportunity to interact with EBF colleagues.

The Four Summers That Made Me Who I Am Today

Supervisors, evaluations, experience in different departments, the NY conference, network of current and previous EBF students, access to senior level executives

Giving up my summers (but it was definitely worth it!)

Make sure to always put your best foot forward, accept critical feedback from your supervisor(s), and make/keep connections within your company.

Knowledge is power

Being able to learning and gain new knowledge and experience in the real world. Also, being able to apply all of the knowledge learned from college and apply it.

Nothing so far. This internship has been great.

This program had changed my life. I feel more comfortable with myself in a working environment. I have had smaller jobs before, but this internship has brought me to a new level and expose me to how it is to be in the actual real world. I learn new things every time I come back to my internship and I can honestly say that I am getting SMARTER from all of the new knowledge that I had gain from my internship.

Advice to Management

nothing