Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #30 Best Overall Internships

Success happens when someone dedicates their full potential and energy to the experiences that come their way.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

100% matching funds of the summer earnings from the corporate sponsor can be used for school related expenses like rent, laptops, flights for school!

N/A. The Emma Bowen Foundation provides access to organizations with several departments. It would be even better if there was a motion picture sponsor for interns interested in working on film.

Have an open mind when considering opportunities as experiences and skill set are very crucial to success in any organization. An open mind along with a proactive attitude will help one stand out from the crowd of potential employees.

Tell me about your life experiences, goals, and interests.

Advice to Management

My company addresses concerns and issues immediately and being vocal has made my place of work ideal.

Incredible Opportunity to learn and grow around brilliant people in the television business
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I met so many amazing and talented people

I worked with some of the most talented young minds

I gained a wealth of professional skills

I learned how to work on a team

I was able to gain two mentors after my internship

I made key relationships and continue to keep in touch with those individuals

I wish there were opportunities to rotate offices that are located in different cities

Learn to be a great listener

Ask a load of questions if you for certain cannot figure something out on your own

Take the initiative

If you find yourself bored, or out of work, get up and ask around the office if anyone needs help with anything

Arrive to work before your supervisor and leave after him/her

Have excellent manners

Hand write thank you cards

What do you plan on gaining from this internship?

What do you feel like you can offer us?

What are you a few of your goals in life?

What is your favorite book?

What is your favorite office supply and why?

Advice to Management

Ask the interns for advice, because they may be more up to date with trends than you.

Don't be afraid of including interns in your meetings and encouraging them to speak up if they have creative ideas to add.

It means a lot when you take an intern under your wing, do not be afraid to shadow them

I shudder to think about my career trajectory had I not been a part of the Emma Bowen Foundation..
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

-immersion in a corporate environment

-workshops and personal development activities that helped polish and prepare us for careers after college

-hands-on experience in multiple departments was invaluable

-the attentiveness of the EBF staff, always available, always helpful, concerned with our well-being and best interests

-paid internships with matching funds from the Foundation helped my family and I immensely..the financial burden of attending a university such as Syracuse that charges well over $50k annually to attend was greatly eased by the generosity of the Foundation and its corporate partners. Thank You.

-the summer conference where we were able to listen to and speak with leaders in the industry to help us gain a better understanding of the careers we were seeking

No cons.. The Emma Bowen Foundation has been a blessing, and as I stated before, I shudder to think about my career trajectory had I not had the experience, training, development, and networking opportunities that EBF provided.

EMF is extremely competitive, and understandably so. Students who succeed in EBF are unafraid of challenges, studious, well-rounded and professional. Do all that you can to be accepted into the EBF family, because it is just that, a family. I completed my internship 7 years ago, and have maintained many friendships with other interns throughout the years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for everything.

One of the most amazing programs that I was privileged to be a part of.

Career Development, Mentorship, Experience

There was nothing I disliked about this internship and continue to stay in touch today as an alum.

Make the most of the experience and program. You will be glad you did.

Opprotunity+Talent= Success
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- The annual Emma Bowen conference in NY

- The matching-funds grant

- 4 year internship opprotunity

- There is a lack of in person contact with our directors.

Opprotunity+Preparation= Success

How have your past experiences, prepared you for the this internship that you are pursuing?

Advice to Management

As a diversity focused program, in our conferences I would like for the students see and hear a session about how diversity is implemented in the media industry.

Engaging, challenging, beneficial, full of opportunity
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The quality of the internship program - we had speakers from all departments speak to us each summer about their role in the company and the different aspects of their jobs.

The company culture - the welcoming feeling and overwhelming warmth from full time employees.

I generally didn't not like anything about the program.

The time commitment

The Opportunity of a Lifetime
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was great getting to experience a work environment for the first time. I just graduated from high school before I started my internship and I think this was a great opportunity for me to have before going into college.

I wish I would have had the chance to learn about other departments.

Be open to trying something new, and be eager to learn new things.

Advice to Management

I think that incoming freshman should rotate in different departments their first summer. Although some people may think that they know what they want to major in, after doing an internship in that field I think they may change their mind so I think it would be great to have a rotation throughout different departments the first summer so they have a chance to figure out what are their likes and dislikes while they still have time to figure out their major/ plans for the future.

AMAZING. It was unique because you grow with the company through high school/college, so once you graduate you have 4 years in corporate
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid internship with matching funds scholarship. Additionally the ability to meet other peers each summer at conference. I have relationships with my peers from the program to this day. I have gotten my jobs at CBS Radio NYC, MTV Networks and HBO from my relationships through the Emma Bowen Foundation. The internship directly effected my career trajectory.

I didnt find out sooner! I would've applied sooner than my senior year of high school! Some people got into the program as high school juniors.

It's changed my life! Every part of my career has been positively effected by the internship. I've worked at 3 of the top media companies since i graduated from the program.

I was recruited 10 years ago, but we were asked questions about our 10 year plan, our passions for media, our community involvement, grades, etc. We required 3 references, transcripts and several other materials. It's a very competitive internship.

Advice to Management

They have been active with alums as well. I still work with them on improving the internship to this day.

I get to grow my professional and technical skills while I mature as a person.
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

What I do with my time is up to me. I can craft my days around what I would like to learn and do.

What I contribute is only limited by imagination.

I have long commutes.

When you join the organization, you will likely be doing a job better suited for several people instead of just one. Right now the organization needs people, and until we get those people, this will be the nature of the job. If you decide to work hard and go above and beyond in the tasks at hand, you will benefit more here than at other establishments. The upward mobility far outways the temporary sacrifice and stress.

What are current events in the news?

Who is Emma Bowen?

What experience do you bring to the table?

How do you think our organization can improve?

Advice to Management

Employee retention is currently a problem at the station. The talented people are either leaving or retiring. To improve the workplace, my organization not only needs to hire new people to fill vacant positions, but support staff to help out the talented veterans.

It was great!
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the people, the experience

the hours were the thing that I liked least anout the internship

my internship and its supervisors are really good toward their interns