Emma Bowen Foundation Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #30 Best Overall Internships

4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 261 Intern Reviews)

It was great!
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the people, the experience

the hours were the thing that I liked least anout the internship

my internship and its supervisors are really good toward their interns

Great experience!
Englewood, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learn new things related to my education.

I loved everything about the internship.

It was great working with my corporate sponsor. Conference are great way to meet new people.

Life changing.
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to practice my passion with highly talented professionals every day.

Too short of an internship.

Emma Bowen treats you like a family member. They are invested in your career even after graduation.

What are your future goals in media? How are your time management skills, and please provide an example? Give an example of how you took initiative.

Advice to Management

More advice on basic information about office etiquette, like how to write a proper follow up email or more resume building.

The Emma Bowen Foundation: The reason I have a successful career in TV news
Austin, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Career and Professional Development, Mentorship Program: iMentor, Summer conference in New York, Paid, Stipend, Four summers, Rotational, Great Peers,

I can not think of anything that I did not like

The Emma Bowen Foundation is great internship program that will transform your career in the communications industry

An Awarding Experience Guaranteeing Four Years: Summer Internship and Exposure to Different Departments at a Well-Known Media Company
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company of my internship really fosters building relationships with other departments and make all the interns feel welcomed. They organized brown bag lunches with all the interns and other events with speakers from different departments.

I'm not sure if I like cubicle spaces.

If you want an organization that cares for you, then this place is for you.

What news do you keep up with?

What are you passionate about?

What after school activities do you do?

What are you plans at college?

Advice to Management

I don't like how the match funds work. The check is sent to the school, even if you buy books or pay for a loan.

AMAZING. It was unique because you grow with the company through high school/college, so once you graduate you have 4 years in corporate
Atlanta, GA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid internship with matching funds scholarship. Additionally the ability to meet other peers each summer at conference. I have relationships with my peers from the program to this day. I have gotten my jobs at CBS Radio NYC, MTV Networks and HBO from my relationships through the Emma Bowen Foundation. The internship directly effected my career trajectory.

I didnt find out sooner! I would've applied sooner than my senior year of high school! Some people got into the program as high school juniors.

It's changed my life! Every part of my career has been positively effected by the internship. I've worked at 3 of the top media companies since i graduated from the program.

I was recruited 10 years ago, but we were asked questions about our 10 year plan, our passions for media, our community involvement, grades, etc. We required 3 references, transcripts and several other materials. It's a very competitive internship.

Advice to Management

They have been active with alums as well. I still work with them on improving the internship to this day.

Multi-year, PAID internship in media industry sure to equip you with the ability to have a successful, long-term career
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It is very rare to secure a multi-summer internship that both pays for the work you do AND provides matching scholarship funds for school. Not only did the Emma Bowen Foundation help to support my professional development by allowing me to grow over years with the same company, but they also supported my education. Furthermore, the opportunity to be challenged by difficult tasks right out of high school motivated me to become a high-achieving employee; I wasn't fetching coffee for my co-workers, I was treated as a colleague among peers. As someone just starting their career, this is truly invaluable.

At the Foundation level, I was quite disappointed that I was never invited to attend the Link Mentoring Initiative, something that (seemingly) a large majority of Emma Bowen interns were able to take advantage of. Also, there seemed to be limited, established opportunities for interns who wanted to engage work in the media industry with their interests in the natural sciences, apart from broadcast meteorology. There were a handful of interns who were in this boat (myself included), and we were expected to take our own initiative to pursue integrated science and media work. Finally, as a Corporation for Public Broadcasting-sponsored intern, my experience in the program was very different from the large majority of other interns. This became most obvious when all the interns gathered for the annual Summer Conference, where we heard from speakers that addressed topics that weren't always relevant to me. It would have been great to have more realized support for CPB interns.

However, it is important for me to note that the above concerns only arose because I was a minority among interns to experience these issues. Overall, I am grateful, if not indebted, to the amazing support provided by the Emma Bowen Foundation. From a KFAI perspective, I could not have asked for a better working environment or co-workers.

If you're serious about investing in your future NOW, and you know you will go into the media field (or at least see the benefits of working in the media field, regardless of your occupation later in life), I see absolutely no reason to not apply for an Emma Bowen Foundation internship. There is nothing (and I mean nothing) like it in the nation. I do not exaggerate when I say there is no way you can walk away from the program with less than what you started with. I cannot express enough how grateful I am to have taken part in this internship. If anything, looking back, I regret not taking my internship seriously enough and not making the most of the (short!) four years I was in it.

* Why do you want to be part of the Emma Bowen Foundation internship program?

* What do you anticipate learning in your 4-5 years of the internship?

* What do you hope to take away from the internship?

Advice to Management

* It would be wonderful if everyone could participate in the Link Mentoring Initiative. If that is not possible, please do not give the perception that everyone will.

* I would encourage the Foundation to constantly expand their view of what types of jobs the "media industry" consists of. For example, the intersection of science and media is a growing field, and it would do you well to offer internships in this area.

* Please acknowledge the fact that Corporation for Public Broadcasting interns have a very different experience than the rest of the interns. Any supplemental support for CPB interns, given their nonprofit work role, would be much appreciated.

Amazing! Major Corporate Setting, Matching Funds and the Ultimate Business Exposure, that is the Emma Bowen Foundation!
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

• Being included in supervisor/executive meetings

• Executing strategies and ideas

• Learning daily from top leaders in the media industry

This past internship, I was disappointed in how the evaluation process was not taken seriously.

Always maintain a positive outlook and a dynamite work ethic. No matter what situation occurs on the internship, never make or take it personally, but continue to focus on getting the job done with enthusiasm and accuracy.

Who was Emma Bowen and what did she stand for?

With all that's on your plate, how would an internship such as this work for you?

Advice to Management

The Emma Bowen Foundation strives to see only success within each of their students. In every way imaginable, this foundation has the best interest for those willing to impact the media industry.

Extrordinary and Cultivating Internship leads to Student Career Sucess!
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the environment

nothing. enjoyed all of it

Always take that extra initiative to go beyond the normal internship experience. Utilize your resources and make the most out of your time here. The taks they have for you are great, but you can make it even better for yourself.

Questions they asked were related to prior experiences and how it could be useful to this internship experience.

Advice to Management

A more formal training on the departments upon beginning the internship each summer. Maybe offering some benefits (i.e. cable)

A Life-Changing Experience For Young Professionals
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to rotate throughout different departments in the company, which allowed me to determine which jobs I was and was not interested in doing.

There isn't anything I can recall that I didn't like about my internship

The day to day logistics of the Emma Bowen Foundation is ran by 4-5 people. Yet, each person is committed to the long term success of their students. It's truly amazing.