CH2M HILL Enterprise Summer Intern Program

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 157 Intern Reviews)

This co-op provided me with many great opportunites, and taught me a lot about what it is like to be a civil engineer.
Milwaukee, WI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Close to where I live at school, flexible hours, extremely helpful employees, valuable experience, good variety of work, increasing responsibility and challenging work as co-op went on,

Nothing. This company did an excellent job teaching me about the engineering process and giving me the correct training to succeed.

They can provide you with many great opportunities to learn and expand you skill set, and can give you more challenging work and responsibility as your internship progresses.

Real Transportation Engineering Design For Dummies. (haha)
Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I highly enjoyed the minor "design" projects that i was given. Although some task were challenging and required an abundance of question, it was a great experience to partake in real life projects and see the many layers behind every task.

I did not like paying for parking. This doesn't necessarily pertain to the internship, but the experience of the internship within its self surpassed my expectations.

Branch out and meet new people. One thing I learned from this experience which I was not expecting dealt that fact that communication, and self motivation are pivotal within this career. Engineering is a profession which is based off of clients. Without clients, or projects, engineers do not have work. Often times through out the internship I heard of points in time where engineers were struggling to find work within their department. But if one is persistent enough and willing to step out of their comfort zone with CH2M Hill being such a HUGE company there is always someone in need of assistance, somewhere.

Q: What are your greatest strengths?

Q: What is your greatest weakness?

Q: Why you? What separates you from the other thousands of individuals getting this very same degree?

Great learning experience
Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking and receiving advice from senior professionals

Bad coffee at the office.

Reach out to different people in other departments, network a lot

Examples of project experience.

Advice to Management

Get a different coffee vendor. Seriously.

Enjoyable summer internship; working on a range of projects with increasing responsibility and experience
London | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Its great to be able to put what you learn at university into action in an engineering office and applying your knowledge to create solutions to real life problems.

The people I have met here are amazing and always willing to help you to develop your skills and experiences.

I have been on several site visits where I have been able to see large bridges and components being built which is a really great benefit when it comes to being able to visualise drawings etc.

The social side of work is also brilliant with a large pool of graduates organising different events giving the oportunity to socialise outside of work.

As I have been working here for the past 3 summers I have had a gradual increase of responsibility which is really enjoyable as I have had a broader range of projects to work on as my colleagues are getting used to knowing what I am capable of doing.

The worst part about the internship is when there is little work to do and having to drag out the work you are currently working on until something new crops up. Either this or there is an idle period with very bitty pieces of work to do.

Another thing is that as an intern I have come in to work on a 40 hr/week contract whereas the rest of the employees in the office are working to the old time of 38 hrs a week which makes a lot of difference when it comes to hours spent in the office.

I would advise any future intern to show as much enthusiasm as possible. Get involved in the social aspects of the role as well as the work side because this is when your employers can see that you are a good addition to the team as you can get on well with everyone and you are keen to socialise with everybody.

Tell your supervisor what work you would like to work on and what experience you want because they are more than likely going to be able to accommodate this.

I did not have an interview for my position.

Advice to Management

It may be a good idea to keep everyone in the office on the same hours per week rather than starting the new recruits on the new contracted hours. This isnt a major issue and within a year or so the hours for the previous employees will increase to match that of the new recruits.

Dream job.
San Diego, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The resources for learning, career development, and professional growth.

The fluorescent lights in the office give me a head ache.

Although it is a big firm, the offices feel like a smaller firm because there are so many different expertise. An office of 60-70 people will only have about 10-20 working in your area of expertise, which provides various people and skills to learn from, depending on what you want to gain knowledge and skills in.

Do you have any experience in designing in AutoCAD for school projects? How about GIS? Any modeling programs such as HEC-RAS or WaterGEMs?

Any research experience? What organizations were you involved in at school?

Advice to Management

N/A.

Networking and carreer development is strongly encouraged, global opurunities .
Fresno, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Variety of projects to work on

Work load can be sparatic

It is important to ask questions and talk to staff. This is a great time to network and learn.

Transportation, everyone coming together to solve problems of getting from point A to point B.
Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by some increadibly intelligent and hard working individuals. The project has been great to work on since this is the first place that allowed me to use some technical skills that were previously learned and put aside and bring those skills back up to surface. I really enjoy challenging myself and I felt as though that was definitely an aspect covered so far. The culture is increadible as well.

The computer problems were a huge bump in the road when it go in the way of my tasks. I had a lot of problems not having enough memory and having a long delay to get a new computer made.

As an intern, make sure that you keep your skills up to date and practice them so you don't have to "create the wheel" again waste valuable internship experience time. The teams here are more than happy and prepared to help you relearn it but you aren't doing yourself any good. The best way to evaluate the organization is to evaluate yourself and see how the organization can work with you.

Advice to Management

It's really been smooth sailing so far. Just keep up the good work, thanks!

Agricultural engineering with field trips in environmental engineering
Bellevue, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to travel to different CH2M HILL offices in order to see the differences in life for the different engineers.

There was not always work for the interns so at some points I just sat around waiting for things to do

This is a great company, they do things the right way and treat everyone fairly

Advice to Management

Pay for employee parking.

Fantastic and best learning experience
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I love the Culture and everyone is friendly

Coworkers were approachable and very helpful

Not Applicable

Be punctual, listen carefully, take notes and deliver results. Ask for feedback for improvement.

Engage in technical construction of complex projects.
Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated as entry level position

File organization system on computers illogical.

Travel required to varying degrees depending on position, be flexible if want to stick around for a long time.

What first interested you in engineering?

Advice to Management

Make work location clear in early stages of hiring process.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)