CH2M HILL Enterprise Summer Intern Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #6 Best Engineering Internships

Intern at CH2M HILL Enterprise Summer Intern Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

A very rewarding experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to work with multiple Engineers and got a broad look at what Engineers really do.

Wasn't able to go in depth on a project.

If you are looking for an internship that may lead to advancement, CH2M HILL is a good pick.

CH2MHILL cares for its employees.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great mentorship. No matter how busy everyone was, if I didnt understand something, someone would take the time to explain it and if they didn't have an answer, we would work through it togther.

That it had to end.

The difference between CH2MHILL and another employer is that they don't just say they care about their employees, the really do. I was faced with a very difficult situation that took me away from Florida to my home state of Arizona. My previous employer would have thanked me for my service and replaced me. Thankfully I worked for CH2MHILL this past summer. My supervisor went out of his way to contact local offices in Phoenix Arizona and gave me a great recommendation. I transferred easily to Phoenix where I currently am working until graduate school begins. I have never experienced this level of commitment from a supervisor to an employee, and I am eternally grateful!

Informational, learning and experiencing summer.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning real-life situations, not theoretical based problems.

The biggest issue would lie in not completing understanding all the programs that are used.

This experience teaches you to become a more well rounded engineer and to see what happens in a project development

Advice to Management

The company did a great job in compensated and encouraging the employees.

Exploring the different departments through the Transportation Business Unit of CH2Mhill
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Oh man where do I begin! To start off, I loved the fact that they treated me as an employee and not just an office assistant getting them coffee or filing papers. I loved the fact that they counted on me for certain projects, the pay wasn't that bad either. I love all the support I was able to get from everyone, everyone's willingness to work with me, the work enviorment was great!

One thing that I wish could have been done differently would have been the planning of my internship, in a sense that as soon as I was done with one disipline, the next dispiline would be caught off gaurd and wouldn't be as prepared as they should have been. But nonetheless they were still willing to help me out and put me on different projects.

I honesntly think that CH is defenetily a great place to work for. They have many organizations and groups within CH, and on top of that they are eomployee owned, a lot of great things and benefits employees get.

Advice to Management

Work load, I understand that at times when deadlines are tight, it would take longer to explain it to a junior level engineer what it is that needs to be done, but when there aren't points of high demand, I wish I would recive more work load. (After I have contacted my direct managers if there is anything I can do to help out.) I say this because I am a person who would rather be bugging people for more work than just sit at my cube and have nothing to do)

This was a great opportunity to immerse myself in the professional world, and learn about the various aspects of engineering in a corporate
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience, professional development, and networking

Nothing, I enjoyed everything about my internship.

This is a great opportunity to learn about the field of engineering. You are given a variety of work, and the ability to learn about various engineering aspects not taught in the classroom.

Advice to Management

I would have liked to be given more training on various skills. For example, a quick tutorial on ArcGIS or Excel would have been a good refresher, since class work was minimal in these areas.

CH2M Treats Their Interns Exceptionally Well
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on field experience as a safety advisor, the ability to work in a broad area of the North Slope, the mentors that I worked with were exceptional.

There is no guarantee of full time employment.

CH2M has an oustanding reputation on the North Slope, as well as worldwide. They are a large company, and are very willing to promote and support any individual with potential. There is planty of opportunity to move around and advance your career with this company.

Advice to Management

Employee retention is a constant battle, as there are several companies that pay more and/or have better benefits. I would also like to see some of the CH2M Hill University classes offered in the Anchorage office, so I could attend. I.e. Construction Safety, etc. that are offered through the university.

Great Intern Positions Start at CH2M Hill, well-rounded experience and the most useful summer you will ever put on a resume.

Experience

Online training

Go early and stay late!

Advice to Management

I thought that every aspect of the job was well managed. The supervisors and other employees were eager to teach me , but also let you learn on your own when possible. However, there were long and boring training tutorials that were redundant. I understand that these things are necessary and important ,but the online training could be more straight-forward and maybe get to the point faster.

Fast-Paced Internship where I learned by asking collegues and trying new techniques out.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with very intelligent professionals. Also, having the support of the other interns was very helpful. I made a couple of friends while interning here. Also, the presentation about our internship was great! I was dreading it all summer, but I really learned a lot and it helped my public speaking.

I would have liked to have more guidance at times. I was left to do work on my own. People were always available to help me, I just had to reach out to them. I guess that has been a good thing, just difficult for me to learn to be more outgoing.

There is a reason CH2M HILL is voted the best place to work! I feel that there is a lot of support for me and people are very professional, intelligent and helpful. It is all around a great place to work.

Advice to Management

I was the first intern my planning group had ever had, so people were unsure on how to deal with an intern. But they did a good job at providing work for me most of the time. I would say to keep track of interns a little better and make sure they have enough work.

Internship provides the best learning experience that no university can provide.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability of obtain hands on experience on various engineering projects and the ability to learn from the best engineers in the industry.

Since I am the only intern in my office, there was no opportunity to meet with other interns other than doing so virtually. It would be nice if we are able to have events specially created for interns to meet and share experience with one another.

In order to perform sucessfully as an intern, you must be open to new ideas and willing to learn. Don't hesitate to ask questions because only then, your employer will know that you are interested in learning more about the projects and the company.

Advice to Management

Software training for interns would be very helpful because I believe I spent most of my time familiarizing myself with the software we are using for our projects.

Small Office, Big Company = Awesome Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to attend the JuMP conference! Working on lots of different projects.

Not feeling like I know enough coming out of school.

My boss has been extremely understanding of my school/work/life balance and we have been able to accomodate for times I need to take off for a project or finals. Being part of a large company is amazing, there are so many resources you can reach out to. And at the same time you have your office and business group to make you feel like you're part of a small company where everyone looks out for each other.

Advice to Management

Some technical training for the intern program might be helpful. Maybe right after the safety moment we could do a quick Microsoft Office tip, or something similar.