Xcel Energy Campus Intern Program

Mechanical Engineering Internship with focus on Plant Engineering. (I am not this creative!!! Its a job people not a newspaper.)

Hands On Experience

Waking up in the morning

Go for it.

Advice to Management

Offer more overtime

Best internship I could have asked for!
Minneapolis, MN | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Spending time outdoors, working with good coworkers, and doing my part to take care of the environment.

Not really anything.

As long as you like to spend outdoors, you will love this job. Make sure to work your hardest in everything you do, and you will be recognized for it.

Distribution Design Engineering Intern
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting real world expirence and doing jobs like a regular engineer

Made class schedule harder

Great opprotunity to get your foot in the door and see if you like this field of engineering

Transmission Protection in the real world
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to adjust my work schedule around my education. I was also able to have the weekends off.

there was nothing to dislike.

They are a wondderful company to work for.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to suggest

BEST experience for your future, this will add value for your personal knowledge and hiring worth!
Denver, CO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Just the experience, skill development, wonderful staff/company, great benefits, and wonderful life/work balance will compel you to achieve more and grateful be given such a wonderful opportunity.

I honestly can say that I do not have one dislike about this company or believe there is a con to this internship.

You must give the effort plus 100% that the employer is extending to you. The opportunity provided to you is fundamental for your personal development and future career success, if you remain within the company or move towards a different path, you cannot pass on such a valuable experience. In return the company is also proud to produce a valuable asset that they can say they had a hand in molding or added as a member to their family.

Advice to Management

Xcel is a wonderful company that treats their employees with very generous amounts of compensation, hours, have a very high employee rentention, encourage and provide many diversity and training constantly for personal knowledge or for promotional opportunities.

Distribution Design Engineering Intern
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of schedule. Work Enviroment. Fair treatment.

No complaints. For a part-time job/ internship, could not have found anything better to have while going to school.

Take every oppurtunity to secure a full time job.

Advice to Management

A better payscale across the board, over all departments.

A great opportunity for real-world experience that applies to my field of study.
Denver, CO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part of this internship is applying what I have learned in school to the real-world. When I graduate, I will have an "edge" in the job market as I apply for jobs. The internship was also flexible with my school schedule. I am able to create my own work schedule and work from home if needed.

There is no certainty of getting a job offer when my internship is complete.

Having an intership with Xcel is an amazing opportunity to gain experience in your field of study. Xcel tends to hire their interns full time when the internship is over because of the experience and knowledge you receive.

Advice to Management

Not being able to get a letter of recommendation is a "con." Allowing management to give recommendations would be very benefitial to interns at the company.

Learning what it's like to be a power engineer
Minneapolis, MN | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of time, they were extremely understanding of hours I could work or not work.

No comments, I can't think of anything.

They will treat you fairly. The amount of effort you put in directly affects how much you'll get out of working here.

Advice to Management

I don't recall seeing Xcel at the career fair, and I think that would greatly increase interest. I don't think Xcel would be the first thought as an option of a place to work in the minds of students on campus, and I think it should.

College student lands great paying and flexible position with prestigious power company.
Minneapolis, MN | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility at work, pay, vacation, real-world application of knowledge, mentoring from staff

Somewhat repetitive work

If you are looking for a well paying position that fits well with your own college life schedule, and want a friendly, helpful work environment, apply for this position.

Advice to Management

Faster network/intern computers, pay increase criteria?

Learning my field, department by department!!
Denver, CO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, rotational so I get to see several departments within Business Systems. The company is great as well, people have been wonderful.

Capped hours.

Great company, they want you to learn.

Advice to Management

I really don't know how to improve this internship. I am getting exposed to many different departments and creating networking opportunities.