Xcel Energy Campus Intern Program Internship

Date: 2013

In the real world, things are not nice and clean.

To have great co workers that helped me learn about internal auditing. They had patience and taught me more than just internal auditing.

Part of auditing one must contact other people in the company although sometimes those people dont respond so one must continue sending emails and if that doesnt work try calling them.

Xcel is a company that cares about its employees.

Date: 2013

I feel like I am learning a lot and it's great experience for my future careere.

I have many hands on jobs and a variety of jobs which keeps the days at work interesting.

I really have no complaints.

I think Xcel has so many oporturities of work, aswell as potential for careere advancement.

A lucky opertunity

No one was constantly checking up on me; Made me feel like I was part of a team and not someone's indentured servant.

due to the dangers of a power plant there were few MAJOR projects for me to do on my own.

Be proactive in searching for work at Xcel, They wont spoon feed you but will allow you to establish yourself.

Advice to Management

save smaller projects for the interns so that they wont be bored.

Date: 2013

Eye opening, showed the difference between school and real life.

Learning the process for doing a project and learning how a power plant works in more detail. Liked the pay and the flexible schedule that I was given.

I did not like the inconsistency of the work that came in. Some day I would have nothing to do and other days I needed to have a 24 hour work day to finish everything.

Come in with an open mind and try to suck as much as you can in. Never can learn to much!

Date: 2013

Challenging and fun all at the same time. Get to learn how a power plant is built and run.

I got to learn how to build a power plant and all the aspects that go into running a power plant. Furthermore, the people here are friendly and willing to help you learn. If I had a question about something, someone was always willing to help or point me in the right direction to receive help.

I didn't like the parking situation, you had to pay for parking, which took me a couple weeks to find where the cheap parking is. Although, on days when the Rockies play a day game, parking is ridiculously expensive, no matter where you park.

Everyone is really helpful, and willing to help out when they can. There is always something to do, so no shortage of work. It's a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

I feel this place is a great place to work. The issue I would have is parking. If there was a parking garage that the company could rent out, or some way to help with the parking cost. But other than that I have no complaints.

Date: 2013

Good pay, and the company also heavily invests in you.

The pay, as well as all of the training classes, tours, and meetings with vendors as well as others in your field. Also, working in the field as much or more than I worked at my desk was amazing.

A lot of driving, however I was paid, and I drove the company car. With field work (which I love) comes driving (which I do not). Many extremely powerful tools at your disposal, each that would take a lifetime to master.

If you want a solid, dependable employer that has cultivated a good company culture, this is a good place. If you want to make sure you can support a family comfortably and retire at a reasonable point in your life, this is a good place. If you are trying to get rich, a public utility is not for you.

Advice to Management

Better integrate the tools at an Engineer's disposal and you will not only make them happier, you will make them considerably more productive.

Date: 2013

Great place to work with great people

The learning experience that i received, I learned more than I could have thought. I got to see a lot of items in the power industry that most people never get to experience.

Nothing, over all great experience. Wouldn't change it for another one.

They hire great people to work with, and even though the company is large as a whole it has a family type feel. Everyone you meet is there to help you and answer any question you may have.

Advice to Management

Everything is well thought out and right now I think Xcel is a great place to work.

Date: 2013

It was a lot of fun, there is a lecture every monday about power plant that way if you know nothing about power plant this will help a lot.

You will learn a lot of about office ethics, communication, and as well as different engineering subjects ( cooling tower, modelling power plant, evaporator, etc)

Extra time that you put into your work will not be paid. But it is up to you how much extra work you want to put in. Frankly speaking, the more extra work you put into outside the office hour, the more materials you will understand this will help you out in the future when you want to apply to the company or others.

Quality work is really important in our department. Also, try to show some interests and try to absorb as much information as possible. One last thing is do not be afraid to ask around for help, this is the biggest advice I can give. The engineers have so much experience by asking questions you will learn a lot faster.

Date: 2013

More valuable than I anticipated.

Flexible hours and being able to choose my own times to come in was a really nice benefit.

Some of the tasks assigned were monotonous, but that can be expected when trying to keep an intern busy.

The experience and job security are like any other.

Advice to Management

The training could have been more advanced, but at times work was more important.

Opportunity of a lifetime

Great Bosses. Pay.

Sitting in front of a computer for more than 6 hours a day.

Xcel is a great company. They take the time to provide teaching and assistance.

Advice to Management

None. In my opinion, Xcel is at par with my expectations.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)