Intern at Xcel Energy College intern program? Submit a Review

Excellnt job working with even better coworkers.

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Encouraged to make your own decisions and be creative with your solutions. The entire organization is generally extremely friendly. Opportunity to travel and see many different things that have to do with power plants. Very good pay for an internship and given the opportunity to work full time or focus on school and take less hours a week.

Only con is that I am not hired yet.

This is a government regulated industry; some time things move really slow and you have to find something to do. Not a huge issue for those that are go getters. Be yourself, everyone in this job is friendly and willing to help you succeed.

Advice to Management

nothing that I can think of off of the top of my head, I feel like I have been given every opportunity I could ask for.

Think of a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer/client. How did you manage the situation.

Think of a project you recently worked on, what were some challenges that you had to work through and how did you meet your goal?

Other standard interview questions like that.

An Excellent Learning and Mentee Opportunity

Supportive co-workers

Commute downtown

Learn as much as possible

Advice to Management

Promote networking between interns in different departments

A UNIQUE INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCE

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of this internship is all the networking available. We are able to shadow other positions, go on tours, and meet wonderful people in the office.

At HomeSmart, there is no marketing team, it is just me. This can be challenging at times because I have no expert marketer to turn to.

More training on now to navigate through a large corporation like Xcel Energy.

Advice to Management

Nothing, Xcel Energy is Phenomenal

Why should we hire you?

Great experence for someone looking to work in power engineering

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

How the full staff seemed genuinely interested in helping me succeed.

bad coffee. corporate office had espresso machines, we didn't

I would recommend being interested in power engineering if your interning as an engineer. I think may interest in the subject is what made this position so good (another in intern working with me has been board all summer).

Advice to Management

Training felt absent throughout. Felt that it was mostly up to me to seek out opportunities and feel like there might have been a few I really would have enjoyed if I was better informed.

Pretty basic interview questions, describe a time you failed/succeeded yada yada yada. They didn't really ask me job specific questions just general knowledge of engineering and personality questions. They used the STAR method so I'd recommend in being decent with that.

Constant Learning and Growth

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The help and support that I receive on a day to day basis is incredible. I am always treated with respect and professionalism. Everyone is excited that I am here, and all the interns are encouraged to have informational interviews with other employees. I have had the opportunity to attend many tours and events specifically for the interns, which has helped me to learn more about Xcel Energy. I sit in my own cubical amongst all the other employees, with a phone, laptop, and 2 monitors for my desktop. My supervisor is flexible and a great leader. He gives me work to do, but lets me have space to do it and learn on my own. I typically work from 8-4:30, but have the option to move that around- for example, I can come in at 8:30 and leave at 5:00. I enjoy being in Minneapolis as well. There is so much going on, so it is fun to walk around on my lunch break and see the other busy people in the skyways. I feel like the work I am doing matters. Overall, this is a great experience for my first internship. I also get paid time off and intern benefits (like retirement). How much I am paid and given shows how much Xcel Energy cares about their interns!

My job requires that I sit at a desk looking at a computer most days, which can be very tiring. I sometimes find it difficult to be motivated and energetic, because I become tired and move slowly. It is also very quiet, which is good for focusing but hard sometimes to be creative.

Make sure you learn about the culture of the organization. Look at what a typical day is for an employee. It is important to understand what type of work environment fits your needs the best and what will help you to be successful. Be open minded and a sponge for information. I have found that employers like a person that is excited about learning, and they want someone that will bring a new perspective to their work. I did not know anything about eLearning or design before I started, but they chose to hire me anyway. When organizations are looking for interns, they do not expect you to know everything.

Advice to Management

The only thing that I can think of is more in person training in the beginning!

What personal or professional development goals do you have? Give an example of the steps or actions you have taken to reach these goals.

Tell me about a situation in which you had to work with an angry customer.
What was the issue?
How did you handle the situation and what were the results?

Give an example of a time when you had to quickly establish rapport with an individual or group of people. Why was the relationship important? How did you maintain it?

Describe a time when you collaborated on a project with an individual who was different from you, whether in personality, work style or values.
How did you collaborate with the individual?
What was the outcome of the project?

I controlled my internship!

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Xcel is very supportive of getting their interns involved with the business and helping make a difference. They allow you to build your skills in different areas of your choosing by allowing you to sit with all different groups within the company.

While being able to sit with different groups was very beneficial for me in my development, the specific field that I am looking at joining after graduation isn't heavily represented at Xcel.

This opportunity is amazing! The extended internships that Xcel offers for college students are great opportunities to learn all sides of a very detailed corporation. The support that is provided to interns is great and you are truly treated the same as all other employees. With this internship they offered a paid compensation and I also earned PTO and could contribute to a company 401k.

Advice to Management

Continuing to value your employees and interns like you currently are is huge! Also, encouraging a more transparent business to support team relationship could have great improvements with different areas of the company.

I had a general phone interview that discussed basic information such as school, schedule and why I wanted to internship.

After the phone interview there was one in-person interview with the intern manager and manager of the team I would be working on. The questions in this interview were more knowledge and character based. For example, there were a few questions asking about a time in the past when I had to help an upset customer/individual and how I handled the situation. Was the customer satisfied after working with me? Because my internship is in IT there were questions asking about my knowledge with programming languages and process as well.

Awesome summer internship experience at Xcel Energy!

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learn new things, field visit and see the real work, interaction with people from different department.

Nothing. This internship is so perfect.

I had all the required information from the job description and from my educational background.

Advice to Management

It pays good, no unusual work hours, and diver working group.

A fast paced Engineering Experience.

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am getting real life experience. I am not just in an office doing busy work, when things happen in the field I get to experience the troubleshooting steps in real time.

I cannot complain about this internship. I set my own hours, I have a great mentor, and a great division to work for.

Come prepared to feel overwhelmed at first. You will pick things up quickly and it gets easier.

Advice to Management

Set up some formal software training for interns and have better software manuals and quick guides available incase an intern wants to learn a new software on their down time.

Explain a time when you feel like you failed.

Assisting in traditional IT work as well as assisting in the support of the technology necessary to a utility company.

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Flexible working hours. Company allows me to be flexible with my hours when I am working during school.
-Opportunities to learn. Various technologies meant that there is an abundance of things to learn.
-Utilizing my strengths. My background in programming is actually being utilized where possible.
-Thought out intern program. Lots of infrastructure and thought has been put into making the intern program good. Examples include involvement and recognition at big meetings, tours of facilities, and opportunities to grow in areas you aren't directly hired into.

-Lack of direct instruction. Most of my work comes from seeking out tasks and responsibilities from other people. This criticism is specific to the team I am working for.

Xcel Energy is a big company with lots of opportunities across many different areas. Although it might not be the best place for quick advancement, being a utility company means any job you have has the possibility to last a long time, i.e. long term stable employment.

Advice to Management

Beyond minor specific complaints, I have no things that I have issues with.

-Describe a time where you experienced conflict, and explain how you overcame it.

Great chances to learn about your field of study to network and develop skills

good pay
great people
Options to look throughout the company
good environment

not a ton of opportunities to work with other interns

Reach out to as many people as possible to learn about different departments