Intern at Xcel Energy Campus Intern Program? Submit a Review

I feel like I am learning a lot and it's great experience for my future careere.

Eden Prairie, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I have many hands on jobs and a variety of jobs which keeps the days at work interesting.

I really have no complaints.

I think Xcel has so many oporturities of work, aswell as potential for careere advancement.

Great place to work with great people

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The learning experience that i received, I learned more than I could have thought. I got to see a lot of items in the power industry that most people never get to experience.

Nothing, over all great experience. Wouldn't change it for another one.

They hire great people to work with, and even though the company is large as a whole it has a family type feel. Everyone you meet is there to help you and answer any question you may have.

Advice to Management

Everything is well thought out and right now I think Xcel is a great place to work.

In the real world, things are not nice and clean.

Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

To have great co workers that helped me learn about internal auditing. They had patience and taught me more than just internal auditing.

Part of auditing one must contact other people in the company although sometimes those people dont respond so one must continue sending emails and if that doesnt work try calling them.

Xcel is a company that cares about its employees.

Good pay, and the company also heavily invests in you.

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay, as well as all of the training classes, tours, and meetings with vendors as well as others in your field. Also, working in the field as much or more than I worked at my desk was amazing.

A lot of driving, however I was paid, and I drove the company car. With field work (which I love) comes driving (which I do not). Many extremely powerful tools at your disposal, each that would take a lifetime to master.

If you want a solid, dependable employer that has cultivated a good company culture, this is a good place. If you want to make sure you can support a family comfortably and retire at a reasonable point in your life, this is a good place. If you are trying to get rich, a public utility is not for you.

Advice to Management

Better integrate the tools at an Engineer's disposal and you will not only make them happier, you will make them considerably more productive.

More valuable than I anticipated.

Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours and being able to choose my own times to come in was a really nice benefit.

Some of the tasks assigned were monotonous, but that can be expected when trying to keep an intern busy.

The experience and job security are like any other.

Advice to Management

The training could have been more advanced, but at times work was more important.

One of the most helpful things I have done

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other people I work with in the office and learning how the industry works.

Some of the tasks can be tedious

The workplace culture here is very enjoyable

Great way to get real life Engineering experience

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Best aspects are, it pays extremely well, I recieve tons of real world engineering experience, you make great connections with professionals, and you learn more than you ever could in a classroom.

The only sometimes negative is once in a while the work can be tedious.

Make sure to be able to draw comparisons to previous work experiences when interviewing. Its crucial to be able to a good problem solver as well as a good communicator.

A Great Experience for Aspiring Economists

Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my internship are the practical applications of what I'm studying in school. For example I'm taking SAS data analysis, and here we use SAS everyday to create reports. I've also grown much more accustomed to using microsoft software, a valuable job skill, as well as great organizational skills. The hours are very flexible and work great with my schedule during school. The people in my group are always more than willing to help, I have never seen a more friendly bunch. When the hours are great, you enjoy what you do, and you don't have a single complaint about your boss or coworkers, I'd say that amounts to a great work experience.

I don't really have any complaints, I'm grateful and appreciate the opportunity I've been given.

It's nice here.

It was a lot of fun, there is a lecture every monday about power plant that way if you know nothing about power plant this will help a lot.

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You will learn a lot of about office ethics, communication, and as well as different engineering subjects ( cooling tower, modelling power plant, evaporator, etc)

Extra time that you put into your work will not be paid. But it is up to you how much extra work you want to put in. Frankly speaking, the more extra work you put into outside the office hour, the more materials you will understand this will help you out in the future when you want to apply to the company or others.

Quality work is really important in our department. Also, try to show some interests and try to absorb as much information as possible. One last thing is do not be afraid to ask around for help, this is the biggest advice I can give. The engineers have so much experience by asking questions you will learn a lot faster.

Best Summer Ever

The knowledge gain.

Data entry was not something I enjoy.

You will have ample opportunity to grow with Xcel.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Also, thank you for this opportunity.