Intern at Xcel Energy College intern program? Submit a Review

In the real world, things are not nice and clean.

Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

To have great co workers that helped me learn about internal auditing. They had patience and taught me more than just internal auditing.

Part of auditing one must contact other people in the company although sometimes those people dont respond so one must continue sending emails and if that doesnt work try calling them.

Xcel is a company that cares about its employees.

Great place to work with great people

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The learning experience that i received, I learned more than I could have thought. I got to see a lot of items in the power industry that most people never get to experience.

Nothing, over all great experience. Wouldn't change it for another one.

They hire great people to work with, and even though the company is large as a whole it has a family type feel. Everyone you meet is there to help you and answer any question you may have.

Advice to Management

Everything is well thought out and right now I think Xcel is a great place to work.

I feel like I am learning a lot and it's great experience for my future careere.

Eden Prairie, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I have many hands on jobs and a variety of jobs which keeps the days at work interesting.

I really have no complaints.

I think Xcel has so many oporturities of work, aswell as potential for careere advancement.

Good pay, and the company also heavily invests in you.

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay, as well as all of the training classes, tours, and meetings with vendors as well as others in your field. Also, working in the field as much or more than I worked at my desk was amazing.

A lot of driving, however I was paid, and I drove the company car. With field work (which I love) comes driving (which I do not). Many extremely powerful tools at your disposal, each that would take a lifetime to master.

If you want a solid, dependable employer that has cultivated a good company culture, this is a good place. If you want to make sure you can support a family comfortably and retire at a reasonable point in your life, this is a good place. If you are trying to get rich, a public utility is not for you.

Advice to Management

Better integrate the tools at an Engineer's disposal and you will not only make them happier, you will make them considerably more productive.

Beneficial academic and personal growth occurs here

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was learning from the talented people I work with.

There was nothing I did not really like.

Xcel Energy is a quality employer, and truly ensure your experience is a positive one. Friendly faces and new knowledge are endless.

Advice to Management

I think it would be nice if there would be an intern review after a set amount of time to learn what my weaknesses and strengths are in the employer's eyes.

More valuable than I anticipated.

Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours and being able to choose my own times to come in was a really nice benefit.

Some of the tasks assigned were monotonous, but that can be expected when trying to keep an intern busy.

The experience and job security are like any other.

Advice to Management

The training could have been more advanced, but at times work was more important.

A lucky opertunity

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

No one was constantly checking up on me; Made me feel like I was part of a team and not someone's indentured servant.

due to the dangers of a power plant there were few MAJOR projects for me to do on my own.

Be proactive in searching for work at Xcel, They wont spoon feed you but will allow you to establish yourself.

Advice to Management

save smaller projects for the interns so that they wont be bored.

Eye opening, showed the difference between school and real life.

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning the process for doing a project and learning how a power plant works in more detail. Liked the pay and the flexible schedule that I was given.

I did not like the inconsistency of the work that came in. Some day I would have nothing to do and other days I needed to have a 24 hour work day to finish everything.

Come in with an open mind and try to suck as much as you can in. Never can learn to much!

Challenging and fun all at the same time. Get to learn how a power plant is built and run.

Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to learn how to build a power plant and all the aspects that go into running a power plant. Furthermore, the people here are friendly and willing to help you learn. If I had a question about something, someone was always willing to help or point me in the right direction to receive help.

I didn't like the parking situation, you had to pay for parking, which took me a couple weeks to find where the cheap parking is. Although, on days when the Rockies play a day game, parking is ridiculously expensive, no matter where you park.

Everyone is really helpful, and willing to help out when they can. There is always something to do, so no shortage of work. It's a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

I feel this place is a great place to work. The issue I would have is parking. If there was a parking garage that the company could rent out, or some way to help with the parking cost. But other than that I have no complaints.

One of the most helpful things I have done

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other people I work with in the office and learning how the industry works.

Some of the tasks can be tedious

The workplace culture here is very enjoyable