Intern at Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho National Laboratory University/College Internship? Submit a Review

Summer 2017: Lessons in and outside of the lab

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning what a real scientist does day-to-day and learning skills that have already been applied in and outside of the lab.

The only con is that they cannot keep me for longer, because my project can easily be extended to complete more.

Be open minded. Put yourself out there no matter if that is your true nature or not. And enjoy all of the adventures that await in Idaho Falls, there is no shortage of outdoor things to do.

Advice to Management

The only thing that could possibly change would be to pick a more reasonable project for the interns, because I am only here for 10 weeks. But that is science, there is no true telling how long something will actually take.

When you are on a tight schedule and something happens throwing everything off, how do you handle the situation?

Best Decision I Made this Summer

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quality of people I was working with, great projects with real meaning and direct application.

That it is only 10 weeks.

If you are considering INL for full time employment, you really should like the outdoors. Also, in town jobs, while generally more modeling and simulation based, help work/life balance significantly. The hour bus ride to work every day can become grueling especially if you have a family in the picture.

Advice to Management

Letting interns know sooner if they have received the position. Sometime candidates will only be notified a couple weeks before the internship begins.

Learning and experiencing HPC

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experiencing computer science and high performance computing

Lots of sitting down, but that is unavoidable in the situation.

It is important to know a variety of programming languages and have experience in HPC related fields.

Subsurface Geological Studies at Idaho National Laboratories

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work hours were flexible, and I could leave early if need be so long as I put in the hours and got the work done. I also love the outdoors, and Idaho Falls is perfect for that. The professional development initiated by the INL staff is tremendous, and everyone that I have come into contact with this summer has been enjoyable to work with and very kind.

I know that some other interns are paid for their work. I do not mind much that I am not paid because I am compensated well and this experience is as much a benefit to me as it is to the INL.

The INL is a tremendous place to work. Folks are very kind, there are plenty of amenities, and there is not a competitive culture at all. People collaborate and every strength highlights another. I can really tell that everyone works together to try to elevate each other and elevate science in general, rather than the petty arguments or politics that can disrupt other research organizations. If you enjoy the big city life, this is probably not the place for you to work. But, if you are looking for a smaller town where folks know each other and treat each other like neighbors, while still having access to all the amenities you would find in a larger city, Idaho Falls is perfect. Plus, it is an outdoor paradise!

Advice to Management

There is really not much that I can think of. I don't have complaints to management, and I especially enjoy the work week schedule of 80 hours in 9 days with every other Friday off.

There were none. My mentor requested my resume and that was all.

Hands on engineering research

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed being able to get in the lab and do meaningful work.

Some of the hoops to get software and other access is long, but that's about it.

Come ready to work. Explore the area and have fun too.

Real-world, cutting edge engineering experience with company investment in my future

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I feel like the projects that I am working on really matter. Here, we work on projects that others can't or won't do, but just because others can't or won't doesn't make them any less important. I feel that I am contributing to a better future. Also, we work a 9-80 schedule, so we have every other Friday off.

Sometimes the work was mundane and repetitive out of necessity. Analyzing large amounts of data requires patience and persistence, but I always had other tasks to prevent endless hours of mundane work.

Idaho National Laboratory is funded primarily by the Department of Energy. It is important to realize that if the Department of Energy losses funding from Congressional Budgets, INL also losses funding. However, there are only a few departments at INL that would suffer from a budget cut. Before investing yourself in a particular department, make sure that the funding appears to be stable. As I said, most departments here are not in danger of budget cuts, but several are.

Advice to Management

I honestly can't think of any major improvements that I would suggest. So far, this has been the best internship experience that I could have asked for.

What are your future career plans? What area of work do you see yourself going into? What are some examples of group projects you have worked on?

Freaking Amazing

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people. The opportunities. The training. The education.

the meetings

All the meetings you attend are atrocious but it's a great program regardless

Advice to Management

meh

it's different all around for the program you are going into
know your stuff

Rare opportunity to associate with extremely bright professionals and contribute meaningfully to real and important work.

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given the leading role in planning and executing a project involving educational outreach to encourage students' interest in STEM. I had a large group of people working with me, but the majority of the project details were my responsibility. The level of trust granted to me was impressive and I've not had a shortage of interesting and varied tasks to complete in working towards the completion and presentation of the project. I've also enjoyed the nature of the project because supporting students in STEM, especially students who might not have many opportunities to explore it otherwise, is something I am passionate about and believe in strongly.

In addition to this, I worked with an excellent group that made every effort to support me and procure anything I needed. Any time I needed to brainstorm ideas or troubleshoot problems, people assigned to my project and people not assigned to my project were available and willing to collaborate. The absolute best part of the internship is the brilliant group of people I've met and the professional connections I've made. Even outside of my project, I have had the opportunity to meet with incredibly brilliant and experienced professionals and receive quality advice and mentoring from them.

I have nothing to say here. Lacking anything else, my desk chair was squeaky, but I never complained to anyone about it, and if I had I have full faith that someone would have procured a new one for me.

Also, for anyone unfamiliar with government work processes and large businesses, there are a lot of acronyms and some amount of bureaucracy. Be prepared to deal with inconveniences, but if you are in a good group the associated frustration should be minimal.

Your experience at INL (or anywhere) almost entirely depends on who you're working with and what you're doing. INL as a whole is awesome, and while I can only speak for the group I was in, I must say I love that group and would gladly come back. Talk to your potential mentor about what you'd be doing on a day to day basis. Be sure to mention what you are interested in and passionate about - if you let your mentor know what you want to do and learn and what your career goals are, they will almost certainly make an effort to support you in that. Also, if you end up doing something you really don't like, it's alright to respectfully communicate that.

Advice to Management

Everything you've done for me is great - high above and beyond what I expected. My group is sending me to a conference for training in a few weeks, the hours are incredibly flexible, pay is great, and the people are awesome.

I can't remember the exact phrasing, but the phone interview discussion covered the following points: "What are you interested in?" "What are your educational/career goals?" "Your resume lists experience with [...] can you tell me more about that?" "(describes project) does this sound fun to you?"

Beneficial and Rewarding

Learning about the different facilities at the Materials and Fuels Complex

Nothing pertaining to my job/work. Just the bus ride to and from the complex

Come in with a desire to listen and learn new things. If you show an interest the employees and entire work force are very willing to teach and share their knowledge

An experience of a life time at a national lab with world renowned scientists.

Idaho Falls, ID | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

developing techniques and skills, networking, and a great environment to work in.

Sharing a cubicle

This is a wonderful place to work, with wonderful scientists.