Idaho National Laboratory – BEA Education Enhancement Internship

Date: 2013

If on the Millionth Try you Don't Succeed, Come up with Something New: The Computer Modeling of an Advanced Engineering Problem

I never thought I would get as much technical work as I did as an intern. I was able to get much better at the things I already knew, and I was also able to learn how to use new software tools and programming languages. I got to see how all the engineering and computer science concepts I learn in college can be applied to real-world problems. It was also excellent just to get used to an office atmosphere and see how different it is from college. The pay wasn't bad either, for my first internship. The lab paid for my plane tickets and also gave me a housing stipend, on top of my weekly salary.

I'm not a big fan of Idaho in general, since I don't really like camping, hiking, etc. If someone wants to work here full-time, I think they have to really be able to enjoy nature, since there's not much else to do out here.

INL is a great place for an internship. Their internship program is extremely well-organized, and the internship coordinators and mentors work hard to make sure everyone has a great experience. You won't be getting trivial tasks to complete - you will have a well-defined, highly technical project assigned to you, and you'll be able to work with some of the foremost scientists and engineers in your field. You will get the chance to develop both your engineering and communications skills.

Date: 2013

During my experience I learned of the correlation of my high school studies and my work studies.

I enjoyed learning new things and working with great people.

I did not find any major dislikes throughout the internship.

We have great people and the work here is incredible. I'm always learning something new.

Good Teacher Becomes Great With Help of BEA Internship

Freedom to pursue goals, expand horizons and take on responsibility

I could not do it again :)

Be ready to work hard and stretch your brain to new limits.

Advice to Management

Actually, I used the things I did at BEA (INL at Idaho Falls) as an example of how to do things right, at the location where my year-round job is at. I instituted many of the BEA procedures here as improvements. For the love of God, they even had a coffee bar in the lobby!!! How cool is THAT!!! Some people still complained~ jerks.

Informative

The work I did with all the people in my department

being away from my family

Always ask for something to do. If you don't ask then your mentor or the people you are working with don't know what to do with you. Always ask questions.

Advice to Management

Not sure what I would say

Date: 2013

Idaho National Laboratory, continuing to make technological and scientific discoveries that change the ways we live.

Have the freedom to make my own choices about the project, and encouraged to be confident in my own abilities and skills.

Lag time between receiving new data (samples sent off site for analysis).

Being self-directed and not needing someone to hold your hand 8-hours a day will make you successful at the INL.

Advice to Management

N/A

Awsome

learing system dynmics

I dont remember anything that I dont like

Nice work life balance

Date: 2013

Come research with the big boys

There were lots of different opportunities to work in several different fields and learn about many of the hundreds of projects at INL. It also is a big enough lab, that we got a lot of experience on different instruments and meet some of the leading scientists in the world. The people are so nice and understand and love to answer any questions you might have.

The thing I enjoyed the least is sometimes you felt like you were a number. There are over a hundred of interns, so when we got together in large groups, I felt like just a number to the higher management.

In my internship, I felt like everyday was a learning curve. There was not enough time to learn all the information that an intern could learn from INL and it's different project. I felt like I got a huge advantage over other by interning here.

Advice to Management

I think most of us interns complain the most about safety. Safety is important and INL is very good at being safe, however it has gotten to the point that they have severely limited their productivity because of a over cautious approach to safety. For example, in a project that has almost zero risks with regards to safety, it took over three months to clear it through the safety process.

research project

The autonomy I was given. I mean my mentor was here to help if I needed but I was free to do wathever I wanted with my projects ( to fullfill the objectives of course !)

The hours, I was working on the site and the work schedule is 4:10 which is a little bite hard on me. On the other hand, 3 days week end to visit Yellowstone and Teton National Park !

They are having new contracts, new projects, new jobs !

Advice to Management

It is a very good organization. They might need to change the training policy: the public at the training can be too heterogenous.

Date: 2013

Real world experience as a software developer

Real world experience. Lots of time actually working with few meetings/interruptions. Tours of rreactors in the complex and Yellowstone were also great fun and educational experiences.

Long commute. Office politics.

Great learning opportunity.

Advice to Management

I had a great experience, but no one would complain if you wanted to pay them more.

Date: 2013

Graduate student spends summer analyzing EV Project data, has a great time

I worked with great people, I had my own space, I was able to work fairly autonomously--no one was checking in on my all the time, I got to work with data that very few in the world have access to and was able to analyze and draw conclusions about a subject that is of great interest to me. Also in a location with good fly fishing, which is always a plus.

All of the security precautions, but I realize they are unavoidable.

You can get involved with a lot of different work, and not just the piece for which you were hired.