Battelle Energy Alliance BEA Education Enhancement Internship

Intern at Battelle Energy Alliance BEA Education Enhancement Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Very valuable exposure to research engineering.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world experience, excellent networking, getting my foot in the door in one of the largest local employers.

The lack of information sharing among other similar/competing researchers.

The best thing about an internship at INL is that the type and variety of work that is done here is vast. If you find you don't like what you're doing, there's a good chance that the person in the next cubicle is doing somethin you do like. The opportunity to move within the org. is always present.

Advice to Management

It would be great if the individual managers subscribed to the same set of education requirements as the overall company rather than adding their own stipulations.

My internship was an excellent experience that allowed me to develop professional skills and learn about the field I would like to enter.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The mentoring I received was excellent. Ron Boring connected me with knowledgeable experts that aided my research considerable. Additionally, he led me through the research process at a large federally funded and privately managed research establishment.

The application materials were extensive.

Research the internship and the mentor you will be working under to ensure that your interests align and that there is enough work to keep you engaged. Everyone has heard of horror stories in which someone's internship was sitting at a desk doing nothing. Taking the time to evaluate the type and amount of work is important.

Learning about EMT

Research & Networking

The location

Know what you want to learn and they will try to accommodate you

Internship opens door to countless opportunities

Contact with mentor

Nothing. It was a wonderful experience!

This is a great internship! The pay is good and the experience will help you advance your career/academic goals.

Advice to Management

Nothing

An eye-opening, fullfiling, and satisfying experience that every student who has only spent time on campus should have.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The large-scale multidiscipline project, the mentorship I received, the encouraging work environment, the high payment, and the nice living area

It would be nice for the company to arrange the housing for interns (e.g. establish a contract with local business to provide short-term (2-3 months) housing options).

It would be good to be prepared for the work by contacting the mentor before you get here to get most out of the internship. It is located in a small city, so be prepared that there's not much city activities; instead, it is a great area for outdoor life such as hiking, camping, backpacking and rafting.

Adventurous Summer with Flexibility
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours, learning experience, great summer job.

Not much guidance. Not my specific interest.

Great people. Great job.

Advice to Management

More guidance, clear details, more specific jobs with clear focus instead of broad expectations.

Real life application to scholarly learning.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed the friendly environment and helpful co-workers. I really felt like part of the team, and in nearly every aspect I was considered and treated like a full-time employee. The projects I was included in were both applicable and interesting.

There were times when I didn't feel as utilized as well as I could have been.

Do your best to be professional and be active and interested in the tasks given to you! Most of all don't be afraid to ask questions to your mentor, because you are here to learn!

2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent superviser and friendly employees, interesting and relevant work

Did not pay for family to travel to location

You will get out of an internship what you put in

Furthering research at a national laboratory
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Close supervision with experts in my field, flexible work hours, camaraderie with peers, productive assignments, career-progressing efforts

Current economics apply strain to potential hiring

INL cares for their employees, is clear and direct with expectations, assures good employment for interns and staff, and continues to be a very desirable workplace for research and engineering.

Advice to Management

This experience was even better than previous internships; I'm very pleased with management's outlook toward interns.

How to analyize, design, develop, implement/present and evaluate training and learning objectives within the INL culture.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience, learning, and personal growth.

The word redline program and formating are time consuming, along with intitial cultural transition.

Be open-minded, flexible, and well prepared in word document programs.

Advice to Management

Each office space should have a telephone, so that personal phones do not have to be used to communicate with key people in gathering information. Additionally, interns should be given considration in the company PAL programs which allow interns with opportunities to achieve or earn PAL objectives in their respective department.