Intern at Battelle Energy Alliance BEA Education Enhancement Internship? Submit a Review

Learning the Ins and Outs of Engineering

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great environment and people. Interesting work.

I wish it could have gone on longer

Enjoy yourself, and go see surrounding scenery. The people are nice

Advice to Management

Not much.

A great real world engineering experience

'Hands-On-in-the-field' experience

It was a great experience for me, so cons - none

If you are looking for a real world engineering projects, this is one of the places you could be.

Great experience at a national lab

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working with my mentor and learning from his experience. The rest of the team was very helpful in explaining the intricacies of battery testing on a national laboratory scale.

I was not able to do as much experimental work due to the required training needed to safely perform work at a national lab.

Take advantage of all the opportunties available to talk to people in your field.

Teacher receives training with INL to impart to students in the future.

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to learn more about one of the premier employers in our area, visit multiple sites and learn about how things work on the inside. Also was able to meet with other teachers each week to discuss ways I could use the information I was learning in my classroom.

A lot of red tape to get into the INL, but it is a government facility.

CAES (Center for Advanced Energy Studies) is a great place to work with multiple projects going on where everyone is valued for their work.

I cannot remember the interview process.

Advice to Management

None.

Engineering; design; collaboration; skill development; diverse experiences; technical training; fun

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working at the National Lab and participating in engineering research!

The drive into work

Get connected to your coworkers, and always ask for more. They will let you take it as far as you would like to go

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Wonderfull experience with very professionnal directors and interesting subject.

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to work within a large and challenging project, discover up-to-date research teams in a wonderfull environment.

DIfficulty at the beginning to get a working computer (2-3 days), difficulty to find a place to live in Idaho Falls.

INL is a great opportunity to get in touch with the actual research in nuclear, with experimental facilities and numerical teams.

Questions were directly related to the lattice code (Dragon) used for the work, and to the nuclear reactor physics in general. Also they wanted to know if the idea of working in a remote place (Idaho Falls) was pleasant or not.

Advice to Management

Increase the number of conferences between the different teams of the lab, so that we can discover other fields of research and meet people.

Excellent opportunity

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given a lot of responsibility which I appreciated.

I didn't enjoy having to do a poster that outlined our summer project.

They are an excellent employer with great benefits.

How are your diplomacy skills?

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything.

Great opportunity and learning experience. Quality mentor and feedback.

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was treated as a valuable team member and was given many opportunities to learn new things.

That it was temporary and would not end in a full-time position. The orientation and paperwork was very long.

It's a great opportunity but has some red tape to get through.

What could you bring to the project that others couldn't?

Why would you like to work at the INL?

What are your qualifications?

Several problem solving scenarios.

Advice to Management

None

Working with BEA was an absolute pleasure.

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility in the work schedule and engaging work projects were the pros of working for BEA.

The most challenging aspect is going through the training required to work at a national laboratory.

Be proactive about your work. Invent your own projects is necessary.

None.

Advice to Management

None.

Professional research in the middle of nowhere

Idaho Falls, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I have the best mentor ever. I am supported not only at work, but in settling in a foreign country. I further got very interesting tasks and could work for an international research project. Moreover, I got to know a lot of people that work in the same area.

Idaho Falls is far away from any bigger city. However, this is the case for most of the nuclear research centers.

The INL is an excellent research center with various research groups with different foci. You will learn new skills, get to know a lot of people and you can by the way enjoy great national parks that are close by.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it would have been nice to get more information about the processes. I.e. about the procedure for a foreigner to come here (visa, contract, visit at the embassy, simply what comes first and what to do afterwards); about the organisation of the poster session etc.