Intern at FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program? Submit a Review

Growing As An Engineer, Worker, and Person At FirstEnergy

Akron, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The tasks were quite challenging for me, which allowed me to be consumed by work on a day to day basis.

Similar to the pros, the tasks could almost be too challenging. Requiring weeks of research just to understand the task at hand.

This is a great company, and a place I could see myself ultimately starting my career at and remaining at until retirement.

Advice to Management

Honestly I see no specific things I would pinpoint. If anything, ensure that supervisors have enough time to train and work with the new hires to ensure a smooth transition into the department.

Most of the interview questions were the classic questions a swift Google search would yield. Otherwise, the questions pertained to my specific major which may be gibberish to most.

Educational, fun, and interesting

Akron, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to go into the field and tour the substations. Learning the art and science of protection engineering.

Not getting holiday pay. It is also hard to keep busy when it takes a lot of time for the necessary servers to respond.

FirstEnergy mostly keeps their employees happy and well paid. There are some complaints but that is to be expected at every company.

Advice to Management

Computers could have a more processing power for employees that are running engineering simulations. Also, the servers need to be updated to move faster and have greater capacity.

Excellent opportunity to learn and Network with a fantastic company!

Pay

Hours

Friendly Co-workers that would go out of their way to help you.

Great Communication with Intern Program Leads.

Driving time- comes with the territory of the position I was in.

Lots of room for growth. Average age in the company is 55 years old, so there is plenty of extremely knowledgeable personnel willing to pass their knowledge onto you, and the company is promoting younger employees to have supervisor and manager experience.

Advice to Management

The company's policy on safety and standards is pushed extremely hard down on the employees, but not always followed. There needs to be more oversight on things being done safely and correctly according to First Energy standards.

Situational questions. "Tell me a time when you... broke had to go against safety rules to finish a job... there was an upset contractor yelling at you... had to become a leader in a difficult situation"

On Teamwork and Problem Solving

Akron, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship was a great learning experience. I got to discover new networking devices and work with them directly. I was also able to travel out to install networking equipment and experience the real-world application of my efforts.

I was less productive having an E2 license of Microsoft Office.

This job is a once in a lifetime experience. FirstEnergy has a great work environment that is comprised of caring and helpful people, and working for the company can be an exciting and promising opportunity.

My internship is beneficial to my furture career in information technology and cyber sercurity .

Pittsburgh, PA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking, having a coach, and the overall environment.

Overall, there was nothing that made me dislike this internship.

Make sure you are interested in working for a large company. You will learn a lot and make many connections throughout the company.

Advice to Management

I personally feel that the company goes above and beyond to make the work environment a wonderful.

Do you have any questions?

What are you interests?

Where do you see yourself in the future?

Great Opprotunity at home In Northeast Ohio

Akron, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

There is a lot of opportunity with a lot of helpful engineers and staff. No one is afraid to help you and there is a lot of work to be done.

The formal orientation. there was no formal orientation for the interns. We have to learn a lot of things on our own.

This is a great company to work for. Get in as quickly as you can so that you can experience a lot before you graduate from school.

Great oppurtunity to learn.

Akron, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was given a major project that is to be used on a regular basis by my coworkers and consultants. This made me enjoy coming to work every day.

The first week was very unorganized.

Be willing to relocate if you really want the job! This internship will boost your resume.

STAR panel question format. Approx 1hr in length.

An excellent experience that will guide you to a successful career.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Presented with networking opportunities and compensated well for your time.

Some of the mandatory meetings you had to be there in person when you could have gotten the same information over the phone instead of driving to the meeting location.

Be willing to go out of your comfort zone and accept tasks even if you are unfamiliar with them. Also do not be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

None

Describe a leadership role you have been in.

Great Company with alot of Opprotunity right at home in Northeast Ohio.

Akron, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I have met along the way. All of the supervisors/engineers/substation guys have been a great help with everything I have learned. Without everyone's help, I would have never learned as much as I have.

We were not able to tour a power plant.

There is a lot of room for growth and opportunity. With a majority of the workers retiring in the next 5-10 years, this company has a lot of room for young people who are looking to succeed in industry.

Eventful Learning

Reading, PA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning new skills and networking with experts.

Not applicable

Don't evaluate the organization, just go for it an I promise you will never look back.