Intern at FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program? Submit a Review

Really beneficial and rewarding.

Job role and culture.

RAAD request.

Experience.

"What do you know about ASAs?"

Advice to Management

Provide more resources and online training for products that we support.

FirstEnergy IT Internship provides great opportunity to motivated students

Reading, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to visit different locations within FirstEnergy

Current location has a limited amount of fellow interns at current location

Conduct yourself in a professional manor.

A decent internship with good pay and people

Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the work you get can be pretty interesting sometimes.

Sometimes you sit a lot and don't get the best work to do

It is a good well established place just be social try to get as much interesting work as you can.

Give an example of a safety issue you've encountered?

Advice to Management

I don't think there is a whole lot management can do just encourage the interns to go out and ask for work to do.

Incredible Learning Experience

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The position was very hands-on and I was always busy. I was given responsibilities rather than just doing intern work.

I enjoyed every aspect of the co-op.

The co-op program at First Energy was the greatest imaginable learning experience. The employees go out of their way to answer questions and show you new things around the plant constantly.

There were a lot of questions about working in groups or teams and taking initiative. There were a lot of questions that involved using experiences to explain an answer.

Advice to Management

A more promising opportunity for full-time employment after graduation.

Basic Nuclear operations and systems training

Exposure to professional environment

Doing these surveys

Get organized and try hard

FirstEnergy: From Intern to Retiree

Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of time and effort the company put into making sure the interns were provided opportunities to succeed at work and socialize outside.

The onboarding process could be streamlined with regards to quickly getting into the workflow.

Never be afraid to ask questions. The people here are always willing to help and to ensure you have a good experience.

Many questions geared towards past work in groups.

Advice to Management

Consider moving the training more towards the start of the internship rather than 3 weeks in.

Great opportunity to learn hands-on, something you simply cannot learn in a classroom.

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was thrown into the mix immediately which is how I learn rather than being told to read a book and learn that way. I was doing things similar to what the other DSA's were doing (not as demanding) on the first day I had access to everything that I needed to do my job.

The company is still trying to get over the merger they experienced a few years back and that is evident because the company is not always as organized as it should be. Communication is average at best throughout the company. It was sometimes hard to do our jobs as DSA's because it was hard to get others to communicate with you.

I would definitely suggest FirstEnergy as a company based on what I learned, the compensation, and location of the company in comparison to my house. It was a great learning experience, and other than the communication problems, the company really helped me take the next step forward in my search for a full-time job.

Similar to any other company, they ask a lot of scenario questions (i.e. What would you do in this situation or that situation...?) along with questions about my strengths and weaknesses. They also asked where I see myself in so many years and so on. Typical interview questions that you will see with almost any company that you interview with.

Advice to Management

Communication has to improve throughout the company. There also has to be some sort of punishment when things go wrong, rather than just pushing it aside and pretending it never happened. There were things that happened during my time with the company that really made the DSA's jobs harder and no one ever seemed to be punished for what they did. Not saying anything drastic, but the issue definitely needs to be addressed.

Fun, enjoyable, and helpful learning experience

Reading, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and work

can be very quiet some days.

Be able to communicate with people

Discover the power and intimate details of nuclear power

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

engaging

fast

appreciative co workers

meaningful work

learning

Not getting my security badge until 4.5 weeks into internship

Great place to learn about nuclear power, lots to explore, get a better understanding on how people get power, learn how a giant corporation operates

What class did you enjoy most? How do you feel about nuclear power? What group projects have you worked on? Do you have any supervising skills? What skills do you have? What was most challenging class and why?

Advice to Management

better training on databases, better HR contact/organization, faster background check

Work in a very structured and safety-oriented environment

Toledo, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, more co-ops to hang out with, many different areas to get experience in, work-group very helpful and willing to spend time teaching me.

At Davis-Besse, it takes a very long time for anything new or creative to get done here. Most things are advanced fixes.

At Davis-Besse, Design Engineering is the only group that isn't in the actual plant. If you want to see the inner workings of the plant, ask not to be in Design Engineering. The co-op management is very easy to work with and will try to do most anything you ask of them in the co-op.

Advice to Management

The only things that draw me away from Davis-Besse are the location and the fact that I haven't tried out everything that I want to before setting down. This is a great place to work if you are ready to get settled into a Nuclear Engineering environment, because they love to hire co-ops full time.