FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program

Intern at FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

Big picture thinking within a complex IT enviroment.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being treated as a regular employee and held to those standards. Allowed to think/work freely to accomplish goals.

Nothing, I can't think of anything negative.

Be a quite professional.

Opportunity to Succeed
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Given the freedom to make choices on how to accomplish tasks. Given the opportunity to work part-time when taking classes

Very little that I dont like about this opportunity, a few times I worked a long day to get something done.

Try to get an interview, this will be one of the best internships you can find. I had a previous internship that I loved, but chose to switch here after I got an interview. (I wasn't looking for a new internship, but my resume was being sent out by the university) One of the best decisions I have made.

Advice to Management

Give interns holiday pay, not only does it make us feel more apart of the company, but we value every penny we make (school is expensive). I feel that training also makes us feel important, your investing in us and we like that.

I learned more in 8 months than i did in my entire college experience up until that point.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Practical, realworld, engineering experience.

The human resources, and co-op management were horrible. My start letter had incorrect information on it. I didn't have the necessary drug testing done, because I wasn't instructed to come in before hand to take it, which delayed when it was possible for me to go into the plant.

Great co-op, great experience. Just be prepared to deal with a bunch of crap before you can actually work.

Advice to Management

The department I worked in was a great work environment. My supervisors and coworkers were amazing and really helped me get all that i could out of my co-op. However, the co-op management needs to be completely changed, it isn't working.

Wonderful opportunity to learn and grow in my field of study.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, projects, people, taveling to other corporate locations and other various learning experiences.

The letter for extension of my internship once came after my session end date and I couldn't get back into the building Monday morning. I wasn't terminated, but the experience was a little stressful.

There are plenty of opportunities within a company this size - start somewhere and move yourself upward by doing well and working hard.

Advice to Management

We could use more people to help with the workload and to accomplish projects while also working to maintain operations.

Excellen

Getting to network

Management of the group I was in

Worked well with the culture of the company

One of the most beneficial experiences of my life. Always doing new and interesting work and working alongside great people.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

An incredible work environment. Everyone around me including the supervisors and managers are great people and very easy to get along with. This Co-Op is far far better than my first Co-Op that I spent with a completely different company that did not treat the Co-Op program the way they should have. I do meaningful work here and have the opportunity to actually make a difference with the work that I do. I very rarely have to do jobs that are not pertaining to Engineering what-so-ever. Could not feel any luckier with where I ended up.

The only complaint I could have about the internship is the high tax rate on my monthly living stipend. Although FirstEnergy compensates me much more monetarily than my former company did, I still think it could be better for the monthly stipend is taxed at a rate of nearly 50%.

When I compare my experience here to what i did at my first Co-Op the difference is night and day. I do meaningful work here and learn new things everyday. Working in a Nuclear Power Plant provides me with a new found respect for the engineering feat of capturing Nuclear Fission. I work alongside and underneath some of the best people you could possibly ask for and my company provides me with far more benefits than my former company did. Overall it has been a wonderful experience and I will absolutely look to doing all of the rest of my Co-Op terms here at Davis-besse.

Advice to Management

I truly do not have any complaints about working here what-so-ever. I couldn't ask for anything more out of this company for it has been one of the best experiences of my life. The only thing mentioned was the high tax rate on the monthly stipend which is easily overlooked based on the incredible experience I have had.

A very rewarding experience that is preparing me for a career in this industry
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands-on experience, great professionals to network with, real-life situations

Sometimes ran out of things to do, days dragged on

Definitely a great experience, just get out there and give it your best shot no matter what

Hurry up and wait.

The flexibility.

Sometimes there is a lot of down town.

Ask for projects and try to get involved with as much as you can. Talk to the other coops/interns.

Short but Meaningful
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent group of incredibly smart co-workers who helped me get up to speed with the basics of the industry. Their help has been incredible valuable.

As a returning co-op, it makes me a little nervous to commit to something, arrange housing and other plans without receiving a second term offer letter until just before the session starts. This is a very minor thing, however for returning co-ops, it would be helpful to get their offer letters right away.

FirstEnergy is a fantastic place to work. You will learn a lot and enjoy the work that you do.

Advice to Management

The only thing would be to get offer letters to returning co-ops right away. It makes us nervous not having something on paper.

Much experience can be gained if you are motivated.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, job positions after graduation, security clearance, work experience, develop professional skills, promote motivation in the workplace, networking opportunities, work with good people, helpful/welcoming atmosphere, flexible hours.

Location, certain company policies, highly regulated field.

Be outgoing and enthusiastic. Develop a strong technical knowlege. Dont be affraid to ask questions. Use strong communication skills and organization skills. Manage time effectivly.

Advice to Management

Paid holidays, comp-time, suggest more training, involve interns in more projects.