FirstEnergy Co-op/Intern Program Internship

Date: 2013

Best co-op program, learned a lot on basic operation of a nuclear power plant and upkeep.

The workload was meaningful and I felt as if I had made a differance in the plant.

There is not anything at the moment that I did not like. If I had to pick something I would say the 60 min commute to work.

This co-op is not for someone who is lazy and think that they can just skate on by to recieve credit. It challanges your knowledge and pushes you to your highest potential.

Date: 2013

FirstEnergy Sets the Bar High For Internships/co-op Experience Programs!

The chance to work on real company projects and assignments that aimed to better FirstEnergy.

The commute to work. Long, but worth it.

This is an excellent company to work for. The culture and work environment are calm, but certainly allow for professional growth and advancement within the company.

Irreplaceable Experience

Ability to work with full-scale production equipment, attend multi-company meetings, develop network designs for corporate implementation

Took a couple weeks until I had the necessary security access to do my job fully

FirstEnergy is an excellent company that is very considerate of its employees. They are willing to work with you, and safety and teamwork is heavily valued.

Advice to Management

Paid holiday for interns. We are working full-time during the summer, but when there is a holiday, we receive a cut in our pay for that week because the office is closed. Interns used to receive holiday pay, but that changed around 2012.

Date: 2013

Real work. Real Responsibility. Real Impact.

The real world experiences that it offered. I knew that what I was doing was important and was going to have a real impact to the business.

Limited opportunities to network with other interns and expand horizons while working.

FirstEnergy is a great company to intern with. They take their interns seriously and treat them as real employees. Be confident in what you know but remember that you are always there to learn more about the company and about your degree field.

Date: 2013

Meaningful work gives Co-Ops opportunity to learn and be recognized by management, retainment is high amoung Co-Ops at First Energy.

The projects co-ops are given to work on, and the career developement of Co-Ops through the Co-Ops events and training that help give First Energy Co-Ops an edge over graduating engineers.

The only way to improve this internship is for the Co-Ops/interns themselves to organize events for us to meet each other. First Energy puts on a couple events for the co-ops which is great, but I'm talking about outside of work. It would be nice just to hang out with them, most of them are relocated during their internship, but this is on the interns more than the company.

If you can get an interview with First Energy, take it. Even if you have another internship, this one will be better. I switched from another internship which I enjoyed, only to enjoy this one at First Energy even more.

Advice to Management

Give the iterns/Co-Ops something real to work on.

Date: 2013

Excellent real world network training.

Mature environment, allowed for free thinking.

A little micro management happened this summer.

FirstEnergy has a vast network with many opportunities to learn from.

Great Experience

Experience was the best aspect of the internship. I have no doubt in my mind that when I ask other engineers in my class at school this fall, they will have had nothing remotely close to the exposure I had to real electrical engineering. Everyone was very helpful, and eager to help me learn.

-----------------

If given the choice again, I would definitely intern at FE. The jobs you will be assigned are REAL engineering jobs - not printing out documents, organizing folders, etc. You will have lots of responsibility, and if you have the drive to learn then you will love this place.

Advice to Management

None.

Date: 2013

Girl gains confidence through programming experience

The real life work I received was great.

All of the paperwork for on-boarding.

Don't be afraid to dive into things and learn. There are always people around to help you grow.

Advice to Management

We could use better technological training.

Date: 2013

A developmental and postive experience that helped me grow as an engineer and a professional

The best aspect of my internship was my work atmosphere and the support of my co-workers. The learning curve for most of my work was very high and my co-workers were more than willing to take the time mentor and help me with my work. The work atmosphere was extremely pleasant as everyone supported each others work.

I did not like that there was not a sufficient amount of field experience. A majority of the work was concentrated at a desk and behind the computer. I would have like to go into the power plant more often and physically see what equipment and systems I was working on.

It is important for a candidate to develop and practice a high level safety culture. Working in the nuclear energy industry, safety is by far the most important aspect of the job and the company takes it extremely seriously.

Advice to Management

They can be more prepare for the arrival of new employees. Often time it was a hassle to get computers and access to certain databases.

Date: 2013

Supported and worked with clients across First Energy on various projects and tasks related to IT.

The networking experience with other employees was great, especially when talking to management. The opportunity to apply skills I learned in the classroom and to gain new skills was beneficial as well.

I have no complaints. The experience was everything I expected and more.

Write down everything that you learn. Always take notes and become familiar with the organization, especially outside of your department.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)