FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program

Intern at FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

I learned more in 8 months than i did in my entire college experience up until that point.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Practical, realworld, engineering experience.

The human resources, and co-op management were horrible. My start letter had incorrect information on it. I didn't have the necessary drug testing done, because I wasn't instructed to come in before hand to take it, which delayed when it was possible for me to go into the plant.

Great co-op, great experience. Just be prepared to deal with a bunch of crap before you can actually work.

Advice to Management

The department I worked in was a great work environment. My supervisors and coworkers were amazing and really helped me get all that i could out of my co-op. However, the co-op management needs to be completely changed, it isn't working.

Wonderful opportunity to learn and grow in my field of study.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, projects, people, taveling to other corporate locations and other various learning experiences.

The letter for extension of my internship once came after my session end date and I couldn't get back into the building Monday morning. I wasn't terminated, but the experience was a little stressful.

There are plenty of opportunities within a company this size - start somewhere and move yourself upward by doing well and working hard.

Advice to Management

We could use more people to help with the workload and to accomplish projects while also working to maintain operations.

Big picture thinking within a complex IT enviroment.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being treated as a regular employee and held to those standards. Allowed to think/work freely to accomplish goals.

Nothing, I can't think of anything negative.

Be a quite professional.

Opportunity to Succeed
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Given the freedom to make choices on how to accomplish tasks. Given the opportunity to work part-time when taking classes

Very little that I dont like about this opportunity, a few times I worked a long day to get something done.

Try to get an interview, this will be one of the best internships you can find. I had a previous internship that I loved, but chose to switch here after I got an interview. (I wasn't looking for a new internship, but my resume was being sent out by the university) One of the best decisions I have made.

Advice to Management

Give interns holiday pay, not only does it make us feel more apart of the company, but we value every penny we make (school is expensive). I feel that training also makes us feel important, your investing in us and we like that.

Excellen

Getting to network

Management of the group I was in

Worked well with the culture of the company

Fantastic company, meaningful work, friendly environment and an incredible life experience.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having such a friendly and relaxed work environment while at the same time constantly recieving meaningful work and regularly learning new things.

I do not have any complaints about the Co-Op. The only thing that could use some improvement is the high tax rate on our monthly living stipend. Although the fact that they even provide a living stipend is awesome, the tax rate on the stipend is upwards of 40% plus, which is a bit excessive and really doesn't seem right.

This company does not even come close in comparison to the first company I Co-Oped with. The amount of meaningful work i have recieved here is astounding. I am constantly doing new and exciting activities. What you don't see when evaluating employers is the actual work you will be doing for them, I mean in reality it is just about getting lucky. Neither of the companies I have worked for said many different things about the work I would be doing for them in my interviews but the actual work I recieved differed entirely. I would advise this company to any and ALL potential Co-Ops as an incredible company to work for and fantastic work assignments and co-workers.

Advice to Management

Again there is really not much to say in this category, firstEnergy does an incredible job of utilizing the Co-Op Program. the only thing that i could find to bring up is the high tax rate on our monthly living stipend. The fact that we even get a stipend is awesome already the only complaint about it is that it is getting taxed at a rate of 40% plus which is a bit unreasonable.

A very rewarding experience that is preparing me for a career in this industry
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands-on experience, great professionals to network with, real-life situations

Sometimes ran out of things to do, days dragged on

Definitely a great experience, just get out there and give it your best shot no matter what

Wonderful co-op program, enjoyed going to work everyday
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, relocation funds, real life experience, classes match needs, 40 hr work week guaranteed, possibility to be hired full time upon graduation, degree related work/assignments

no holiday pay when we are considered full time and are required to work a 40 hr week,

Overall a great co-op program, they really work with you and get you into a location that you are going to be doing work related to what you are studying in school. I would recommend this co-op program to anyone to atleast try and see if you like the type of work.

Advice to Management

That co-ops should be paid holiday pay when during their time working for the company they are considered full time employees and are required to work a 40hr work week every week. That is something that could potentially turn a co-op away if there are other companies that offer that.

Short but Meaningful
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent group of incredibly smart co-workers who helped me get up to speed with the basics of the industry. Their help has been incredible valuable.

As a returning co-op, it makes me a little nervous to commit to something, arrange housing and other plans without receiving a second term offer letter until just before the session starts. This is a very minor thing, however for returning co-ops, it would be helpful to get their offer letters right away.

FirstEnergy is a fantastic place to work. You will learn a lot and enjoy the work that you do.

Advice to Management

The only thing would be to get offer letters to returning co-ops right away. It makes us nervous not having something on paper.

Expanding the mind through cross disipline activities.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a great mentor. I was activly engaged in several problem solving teams which allowed me to see and comprehend intricate aspects of certain systems. There was a steady flow of various work activities so monotony was not a problem. They pay rate was amazing and along with the stipend worked wonders for my financial situation. Finally, the people I worked with were very supportive of me and my co-op opportunity.

There was a lack of organization with in the specific co-op administration. There are several things that could be improved in regard to co-op housing and relocation.

At a Nuclear Power Plant there is a procedure for almost everything. A fast paced worker will get frusterated in this environment. For individuals who enjoy learning, working and being around large machinery this is a very good fit. Team work and communication are an absolute must. Those who don't wish to be involved in team activity should avoid this method of employment.

Advice to Management

A co-op program that provides housing for those who must relocate. Also, along with the partnership we have with the local college, allow co-ops to have student passes to promote a diverse social environment.