Intern at FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program? Submit a Review

Everyday I come into the office I learn something new and I am challenged everyday

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are a lot of good aspects from this internship. To start off I would say that everyone I have met is extremely helpful if I have any questions. Also, just meeting a lot of the employees and networking with other interns. All of the projects I worked on were really cool and the work I was doing had purpose. It was not just "busy work".

I wish I could have seen a project go from start to finish but that is kind of hard to do in a summer.

I wish I would have known more about the culture here. I had no idea what to expect and when I started here everyone was very helpful. Also, I didn't think I would meet as many of the employees that I did but they have many networking events for new hires and interns.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice to management

What are some situations where you have had to overcome a problem in a team environment? How did you handle it?

Great Experience, gateway to a great career in the Utility Industry

Experience
networking
ability to secure a full time position

Very little, the only aspect that needs attention is the IT problems experienced in the first week

First Energy is a great company and they are willing to accept people with little experience in the industry. They will not make you feel like an outsider.

Advice to Management

N/a

The interview process was all situation based typed questions.
EX. "Tell me a time when you knowingly violated a safety practice to finish a job"

Great experience, people, and company.

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world Experience, building relationships, participating in co-op/intern events and being able to socialize with all the other co-op/interns, being treated as a full time employee, and being in a very relaxed environment.

There was not anything that I felt was bad about the internship.

Everyone that I have had the opportunity to work with here at FirstEnergy has been extremely welcoming and helpful to me. They are very willing to take time out of their busy schedules to help you learn. FirstEnergy does a ton for the community and even have a day during every rotation where they volunteer their time to have the co-op/intern students go and benefit the community in anyway possible. FirstEnergy treats you like a full time employee and not just some intern. They do not just give you busy work, but work that is extremely useful and to be used.

Advice to Management

More assistance when it comes to parking at the General Office in Akron.

STAR Questions

Great people, great pay, fun company to work with.

Pittsburgh, PA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with and the company culture. They treated me like a full engineer who just started so there was still training to do.

Substation design takes months to complete for the interesting projects so it was a little boring and slow at times since I completed many of the easier projects quickly but couldn't take on a harder one due to time constraints.

Have fun with the program and don't be afraid to request off to have fun as a college student. They would much rather have you take off while a co-op then when you are a full time employee.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have paid holidays and the option for things like a 401k as a co-op like some other companies have.

Excellent work environment to expand your career

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, teamwork, always willing to help, work environment

I have not ran into anything that I have truly disliked

Do not be afraid to ask questions. I wish I knew how many different tasks I would have to be familiar with - this however is not a deterrent as it broadens your knowledge and skill set.

Advice to Management

Training can be difficult for someone first starting out because if you are not familiar with the process there may not be a procedure for the base tasks.

Describe and experience where you have been a leader.

Excellent Internship Experinece

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meaningful projects, helpful team, and great working environment

Sometimes not visiting meaningful facility

This is a huge opportunity company with great and helpful team avialable.

A great experience for my second summer with FirstEnergy

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great pay, good company culture, friendly co-workers, interesting and meaningful assignments, lots of training/learning opportunities

The HR Company Values focus can be a little heavy-handed; poor IT coordination for getting all of the interns/co-ops set up with all the access we need; the new HR staff in charge of intern/co-op program seem uninterested and unhelpful (the old HR staff were friendly and engaged)

This is a really great company with a wonderful co-op/intern program. There are lots of events and training/development opportunities for us, as well as great pay and meaningful work assignments. However, the corporate culture can be a little overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Remind the co-ops that our end of session presentations are supposed to be kept to 10 minutes so that people don't keep going over 20 minutes and wasting everyone's time. Also, please be a little more prepared for the IT demands of 50-60 new co-ops needing access to basics such as their computer login information, Skype, Microsoft Office, the FE portal, etc.

Name an example of a time you had a conflict with another student or co-worker, and explain how you dealt with that conflict.

Talk about a time when you caught a student cheating or when a student asked to copy off of you. What was your response?

Talk about a class you had that was more difficult than you anticipated.

Life changing experience

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was real work and they treat you as an employee

There are no cons.

Be ready to work on a team and work with a lot of teams to accomplish goals. Communication is huge.

Advice to Management

Everything is great.

- Have you done work like this before?
- Is this something you would consider for a career?

A great learning experience that not everyone gets to have

-Hours were amazing.
-Got to take part in a refueling outage and do some hands on work.
-Saw different parts of the power plant that not many people get to see.
-Other engineers were very passionate about passing knowledge on.
-Coworkers were always there to answer questions.
-Everyone in the workplace is very friendly and want to make sure that the Intern learns as much as possible.

-The thing I liked least about the Coop was that I didn't get to go see a lot of things in the power plant with my group, but I did get to go with other groups that spend more time in the plant.

My advice to future interns would be to ask as many questions as possible. There is a lot to learn in any engineering job and asking questions helps you learn new things and improve skills. Asking these questions show that you have initiative and your coworkers will take notice.

Advice to Management

I think everything is great at First Energy and there isn't much that can be said that needs to be improved. However, I would like to see First Energy as a whole have more coordination with Coop events to have more interesting tours of different facilities.

-Tell me an example of a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done.

-Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.

-Give me an example on any job in which you faced a problem and tell me how you went about solving it.

One of the best--and for good reason!

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I could go on for hours about how awesome and valuable this experience was. However, I'll try to keep it brief: The environment was very welcoming and accommodating. The people I worked with were amazing and were very helpful throughout the whole process. The work is very valuable--often, you are practically an employee in all but name. The pay is very good as well, and there are plenty of opportunities to socialize and network within the company. Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better internship experience.

Honestly, there's not much I didn't like. Everything either met or exceeded my expectations. Your mileage may vary, though, so it depends on what you look for/value in an internship.

If you're thinking of taking a FirstEnergy internship, do it. You will not regret it. Work hard and make good use of every minute you're there, and you WILL be rewarded, either by personal satisfaction or appreciation. Take advantage of every opportunity you get to network within the company, since interns get many more of these opportunities than even full-time employees do (I often hear, "I never got to do that!" when I'm talking with other employees about my experience). In short, if you're considering FirstEnergy, do it. If you put in a lot of hard work, you will not regret it.