Intern at FirstEnergy Co-op/Internship Program? Submit a Review

Amazing Place to Work and Grow

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to work along other employees as well as learn many new skills.

We needed to have a few more networking events.

Take this internship seriously and you could receive an offer.

Advice to Management

I think having assignments planned for interns could be beneficial.

What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?

Fun and challenging, well-paid.

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was new work for me, challenged my knowledge, paid very well including stipend, and helped me learn new things in my field.

Moving away from home town.

Amazing company to work for. Treats employees extremely well and students/interns are highly valued.

What is your GPA.
What do you expect to get out of the internship.

Best learning and financial experience of my life.

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of this internship were the friendly people who were a huge help in both educating me and making sure this was a positive and fun experience. The people of FirstEnergy are extremely down to earth and want to not only help me in applying the knowledge obtained in school, but also help find out where exactly it is that I want to end up working full-time. It was great to have everyone always showing to work with a positive attitude and having them open up to you in a personal manner as well.

The only con about this internship would be that I didn't get to experience a different part of the program (such as Networking which is my major course of study). This is not that bad of a con seeing as though I also work with the networking team with network discovery, but don't experience the hands-on training that they do.

FirstEnergy is a positive experience and they will work with you to get you where you want to go, even if you end up not liking where you start. They are very open to having employees work throughout the company and are extremely friendly people. This company has a great set of employees who are willing to open up to new thoughts and experiences. They also pay generously.

Advice to Management

The only thing I would have to mention here is the amount of workers on a specific team. The reason I bring this up is because I am on a team that has a tremendous amount of workload and not enough people to handle the daily issues and upgrades of applications. Management seems to try to come up with a solution to this, but have not handled it yet.

Questions included my anticipated graduation date, whether or not I've had experience with Service Manager or UCMDB (discovery). They also asked me questions regarding some detailed information in what I was learning in school and where I would like to end up working full-time once I graduate.

Very close group of interns with great mentoring from the employees

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to shadow and work on various teams. The best part has to be how active the interns were inside and outside of the company. The people that I worked with were great at teaching me new things.

Work was slow for a long time. Always had to keep asking for more work.

It is a great place to work and the stipend provided the financial stability to work up there.

Advice to Management

I did the same jobs as many interns and an even harder job then some, however I was paid differently because they were in a different degree in school. I think interns should be paid on the work they do, not the program they are in at school. Also I think that the interns could be paired with their teams better. I got put in a group that was not good at interns at all. Later in the Co-op I was able to try out a new team and they helped me so much.

It was a long time since I was interviewed since I returned twice. There were some technical questions, but I honestly can't remember them since it occurred about 2 years ago.

We Stopped the Presses: The Best Intership Opportunity has been Found.

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to apply what I learned in college.

Not being able to tour my company's nuclear facility twice.

Do your homework.

Advice to Management

I've heard getting promoted is somewhat difficult.

What do you do in your spare time?

#FirstEnergy is Trending

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexible work hours were definitely a positive aspect. I have a few medical concerns that required priority over work, and if I had to miss a day because I couldn't walk, my supervisor was understanding and allowed me to make up the hours the rest of the week. I also liked that everyone was willing to teach me and help me understand how the plant operates, without making me feel like I was taking away from their time. I had a few different mentors who would check in on me and ensure I wasn't bored.

I did not appreciate the management's stance on Level Three Snow Emergencies. In the area I live, the government officials can declare different levels of snow emergencies, and at Level Three, employers cannot require unnecessary employees to come into work, and should not penalize them if they do not show up, until the emergency is downgraded. Additionally, any non-emergency personnel caught on the roads can be ticketed for driving in unsafe conditions. When this happened two days in a row, upper management told all of the office employees (whose presence is not required for the plant to operate safely) who had not come to work that they must take personal/vacation days for the days they missed, and that they were expected to come to work if it happened again. To see an organization that places such high importance on workplace and home safety to completely disregard the local government's rules on road safety was deeply concerning, and it is unacceptable.
I also disliked that I was often given busy work -- work that needed to be done, but was best passed on to someone whose work could be delayed because it wasn't as important other employees' work.
Additionally, it took a long time to get going on assignments because of how long it took to give the interns computer access, and to activate their SAP numbers. I felt useless for the first week I was there.

Take initiative! Believe it or not, your supervisor does not hover over you to see how you're doing, or if you need help. If you need help, ask for it. If you want more to do, or feel like an assignment is unclear, find someone who will assist you.

Advice to Management

Do. Not. Require non-essential employees to come to work when their district is on a Level Three Snow Emergency. I watched many coworkers lose respect for the management members who believed that those employees who did not want to risk driving in the dangerous weather should take vacation/personal days. It is the law, and you're lucky no one felt like suing.
I think that it would be very helpful if FirstEnergy paid the fat co-op fee that students have to pay to complete their mandatory co-op sessions. It is $550 per semester, and I think it would be nice to have a portion of that paid by the company hiring the co-ops -- whatever company they work for.

"Sell yourself, right now. Why should we hire you?" I completely flopped on this one, but I still managed to get hired. Just be prepared to talk about yourself, and to tell your interviewers why you are the best candidate for the co-op position.
"What do you like to do in your spare time?" And along with this one, normally a "Why [fill in the blank]?" accompanies it. So, if you like to play video games, like I do, I was also asked "What types?" It helps if you can give a cheesy (but truthful) reason why your hobbies make you a better person.

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

FirstEnergy provided me with the opportunity to build my professional skill set.

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Most of the people I worked with, particularly my manager (Tom Luebbering), were spectacular. I cannot say enough good things about the mentoring I received from Tom. My coworkers, such as Carly Greene and Justin Hengle, were a real pleasure to work with and extremely helpful.

Much of the work I did was not actually credited to me. There were many times where weeks of my work would go out as part of a report to the Executive Team and many of their immediate subordinates, and my name would be entirely omitted from the report. This was somewhat indicative of the political environment within the department.

FirstEnergy is a company which takes care of its own, for better or worse. In many cases, this means loyalty to the employees who have been with the company longest, but it can also mean sacrificing efficiency in favor of the established order. It is a safe and reliable company to build a career at.

A professional and an eye opening experience.

1) Team Work
2) Relevant assignments and projects
3) Competitive compensation

I can't really pin-point anything I did not like about this experience.

I think FirstEnergy Corp. is a great place for young aspiring engineers to start and build their careers.

Advice to Management

I will advise more diversity and inclusion.

1.) Why did you choose this company for your Coop
2.) Have you had any previous engineering experience

Intern successfully completes new project.

Akron, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Got to work with many new technologies and develop many new skills. I was challenged to work with technologies and got to lead some projects of my own.

Because of the nature of the job I worked some strange hours. For example working on a Friday or a Saturday, but this was hardly the norm and was well worth the rest of the intern experience. This was specific to the team I was working on. Other interns did not experience these issues.

This is certainly a fantastic internship experience and would be great for anyone looking to get an idea of what the "real world" is like. This internship is what you put into it. Working hard helps in anything you do, but this internship will help to shape you into a business professional rather than a student.

Advice to Management

Overall I was extremely happy with my internship experience.

Be able to talk about yourself and what you have done. During my interview I was asked all about my previous work experience. Make sure you can put that information together in an organized manor.